Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aberdeen local lockdown to be reviewed

The local lockdown imposed in Aberdeen a week ago after a spike in coronavirus cases is due for review later.

Since last Wednesday pubs and restaurants have been closed and restrictions on travel and visiting other households have been in place.

So far 165 cases have been linked to the cluster and 875 contacts of infected people have been traced.

The first minister has said it will not last longer than necessary but she has not ruled out an extension.

Hi friends....have been on sit and stay program since February and doing well.
Daughter and SIL grocery shop for me, and I go to post office for mail in the evening hours. Don't think I told you that my sister and BIL have the virus.
They are older but still at home. I check on WS a few times a day and hope that all are doing well. Hugs....Lato

Wishing the best for all of you X

Hi friends....have been on sit and stay program since February and doing well.
Daughter and SIL grocery shop for me, and I go to post office for mail in the evening hours. Don't think I told you that my sister and BIL have the virus.
They are older but still at home. I check on WS a few times a day and hope that all are doing well. Hugs....Lato

I spoke to a teacher friend of mine last night and asked what the plan is for the big return next month. She teaches secondary school (age 12 and up). She said it's quite a simple plan. The students will not move around the school as they used to, but will be allocated a room and stay there for the day. (Imagining obvious exceptions for science labs and sports..)

They will have mostly double lessons - fills me with dread, remembering double maths :eek:.

The teachers will move around the school, rather than the students.

I see the logic, just wondering how that might impact classroom behaviour but I guess that's not the primary concern right now.

I think it's going to be a rocky road due to the sheer numbers of students, clusters will be inevitable I think.

Coronavirus: China reports Covid-19 being found on frozen seafood packaging

Coronavirus: China reports Covid-19 being found on frozen seafood packaging

Kate Ng

1 hour ago
A local government in China has reported finding the virus that causes Covid-19 on the outer packaging of imported frozen seafood that arrived from the port city of Dalian, which recently saw a surge in infections.

The virus was discovered on the packaging of frozen seafood bought by three companies in Yantai, a port city in the eastern Shandong province.

The Yantai city government said in a statement the product was part of an imported shipment that landed at Dalian, but did not say where it originated.

Earlier this month, custom officers in Dalian also reported the coronavirus was found in the packaging of frozen shrimps imported from Ecuador, prompting China to suspend imports from three Ecuadorean shrimp producers.

Authorities sealed off the products and everyone who handled them was under quarantine and tested negative for Covid-19, said the city government.
It comes as New Zealand officials are investigating the possibility that a fresh cluster of coronavirus cases – the country’s first in more than three months – were imported by freight.
Health officials are confident there has been no local transmission of coronavirus in New Zealand for 102 days and are examining the potential that the virus was imported into the country by freight.

Director General of Health Ashley Bloomfield said surface testing was underway at a cool store where a man from the infected family worked.

Our passports already have a chip inside that contains all of our relevant details (whatever those unknown details are).
It makes it a lot easier to go through the initial customs line. We just slide our passport into a machine, it checks our details, spits out the passport and off we go to the next line.

It has been that way for about 5 years now.

People with older passports will get one of this kind of passport the next time they renew. They look the same, they just have a thicker page in the middle where the chip is contained.
Okay, but do those chips routinely include your medical information? I do not believe that our passports do. But maybe I am wrong.

We have laws against sharing that kind of personal information about one's medical status with anyone else. So this chip idea does concern me. What else do they contain?

Okay, but do those chips routinely include your medical information? I do not believe that our passports do. But maybe I am wrong.

We have laws against sharing that kind of personal information about one's medical status with anyone else. So this chip idea does concern me. What else do they contain?

I don't know all the information the chips hold, but immigration everywhere knows exactly where I have been, and as they no longer stamp my passport at each point of entry I presume the chip records my entry points.

I have entered Canada and they clearly verify the information the Canadian system shows - that I entered the US 3 weeks prior in LA. No immigration agent types the info into the system - not any more, although they used to.

I personally don't have an issue with having covid info contained on the chip if it gives me freedom to travel.
I guess people who don't like it could not-covid-register their passport and stay in their own country until a vaccine becomes available.

We do have to show evidence of vaccinations when we travel to those countries that require them, and if we wish to re-enter our own countries who may require that vaccination if we have travelled to certain other areas.

As a young child I had mulitple vaccinations for yellow fever, cholera and other things as my family travelled a lot. I still have those records. They are official travel records that had to be shown at various points.

Last edited:
That's interesting! I definitely thought that balance was an issue, think I mentioned it here. Also that my perspective was slightly "out". I would bash a glass down on the counter, thinking it was lower, or bump a shoulder into a door. (I dont have these issues now,)

Hope you are ok Bravo xX
Yes all good here. Are you coming out the other side now?

Coronavirus: Oldham on brink of local lockdown as hundreds flout COVID laws in Greater Manchester

Oldham is on the brink of local lockdown after it recorded the worst coronavirus infection rate in the country - with Greater Manchester seeing more than 1,100 reported coronavirus breaches in one weekend.

Council bosses are desperately urging people not to mix with other households indoors, asking them to "act now to prevent a local lockdown" as there is "no time to lose".

Oldham is in the borough of Greater Manchester, where police received 1,106 reports of people flouting newly imposed restrictions last weekend - a 25% increase on the previous week.

Because people want things to be "normal" and for their children to have "normal" lives. Also, the government wants schools to act as babysitters. Most schools are trying for social distancing - the teaching of which is going to take up so much time.

Older kids will also challenge all those rules (especially during passing time, recess and lunch - and after school). Teachers in middle school and high school will be the ones most likely to get sick and need hospitalization - CDC has advice about closing the schools. In some states, they're not even keeping kids in cohorts where contract tracing could be easier.

It's happening because of the people who get it, it only kills about 5-6%.

Murder kills far fewer. Car accidents kill far fewer. Yet, somehow, the average person apparently believes that stat is acceptable. Of course, for the average parent, it's probably only 1% (2-3% if they're overweight or obese or diabetic or have a heart arrhythmia or high blood pressure or an immune problem).

Think of 100 overweight friends and family and then get ready to say goodbye to 2-3 of them.

And then think of the rehab, the long hospitalizations and the post-CoVid damage to bodies that afflict about another 15-20% (at least).

I guess our insurance companies will start going under. But I also think a lot of people are simply uninsured and this will be a big trial for them to get through.

I also wonder how many asymptomatic kids will pass CoVid on to their parents, siblings, teachers, bus drivers and others before they are even identified.
What do you think of this article?

Little evidence of school transmission - minister

Also there was a study in June and I will add the link.

Most children experience 'mild' Covid-19 symptoms

I don't know all the information the chips hold, but immigration everywhere knows exactly where I have been, and as they no longer stamp my passport at each point of entry I presume the chip records my entry points.

I have entered Canada and they clearly verify the information the Canadian system shows - that I entered the US 3 weeks prior in LA. No immigration agent types the info into the system - not any more, although they used to.

I personally don't have an issue with having covid info contained on the chip if it gives me freedom to travel.
I guess people who don't like it could not-covid-register their passport and stay in their own country until a vaccine becomes available.

We do have to show evidence of vaccinations when we travel to those countries that require them, and if we wish to re-enter our own countries who may require that vaccination if we have travelled to certain other areas.

As a young child I had mulitple vaccinations for yellow fever, cholera and other things as my family travelled a lot. I still have those records. They are official travel records that had to be shown at various points.
I have no problem with a chip containing my travel history. That is info that passports always contained and it is vital.

And vaccines make sense if they are ones that are legally required. I had not heard yet that the new Covid 19 Vaccine was going to be legally required.

I am not sure how I feel about the Covid info on the passports because of the slippery slope issue.

Will they begin adding other illnesses , like HIV or Tuberculosis to one's passports? If they begin with Covid, why would they stop at just one infectious illness?

I am not saying I wouldn't do that Covid chip. I am just saying I am uncomfortable with the idea of what could be included in the future.

It is something that could be abused or exploited if we are not careful. JMO

One robust study of nearly 65,000 kids published by the South Korean Center for Disease Control last week showed that children in the 10- to 19-year-old age range could spread COVID-19 within households just as effectively as adults.

While the study from South Korea showed that children over 10 effectively spread the virus, much younger kids were 72 percent less likely to spread the disease to adults.

However, it’s not out of the question that a child under 10 could transmit the virus. One study found very young children, including infants, left behind traces of the virus, though it’s not clear how infectious these remnants were. But another study tracked a COVID-19 positive nine-year-old who visited three schools without transmitting the virus.

Here's what COVID-19 does to a child's body

Nearly 100,000 children across the United States tested positive for COVID-19 in the last two weeks of July alone, according to a report by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children's Hospital Association.

From July 16-30, there were 97,078 new child cases of COVID-19 reported, raising the total to 338,982 from 241,904. That's a 40% increase.

Most of the uptick occurred in the South and West, accounting for 70% of the new cases. A big unknown is the number of children infected but not tested and confirmed.

Children in the Northeast had the lowest percentage increase of child infections.

Coronavirus In Children: New Data On Cases, Deaths Released

Some reports place children at the center of spreader events. In Israel, the number of new cases has risen from fewer than 50 per day two months ago, before schools reopened, to more than 1,500 per day now. Those numbers followed school outbreaks that infected at least 1,335 students and 691 staff.

Yang Yang, a biostatistician at the University of Florida’s College of Public Health, is completing a study based on nearly 20,000 households. He says his preliminary results reveal that children do infect adults, especially in the same households. “Our analysis is that children are a little bit more infectious than adults with in-house transmission,” he says, but that may just be because they are tended to by parents or grandparents in homes.

What Scientists Know About How Children Spread COVID-19 | Science | Smithsonian Magazine

More Britons have been killed by flu and pneumonia than coronavirus for seven weeks | Daily Mail Online

More Britons Have Been Killed By Flu And Pneumonia Than Coronavirus For Seven Weeks In A Row, New Data Reveals

Influenza caused more deaths in UK than Covid-19 between June 19 and July 31

Flu and pneumonia killed 6,626 Britons compared to 2,992 coronavirus deaths

Influenza killed almost five times as many people as Covid-19 at the end of July

"More Britons have been killed by flu and pneumonia than coronavirus for seven weeks in a row, new data has revealed.

Research published by the Office for National Statistics found influenza caused more deaths in the UK than Covid-19 between June 19 and July 31.

In the seven-week period, 6,626 Britons were killed by flu or pneumonia - compared to 2,992 coronavirus deaths.

At the end of last month, influenza killed almost five times as many people as Covid-19 - with 928 flu deaths recorded in the UK compared to 193 due to the pandemic.

The last time Covid-19 recorded more deaths than flu was in the week ending June 12, when it killed 1,114 people compared to 996."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname