Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to MC's mother, her daughter was having difficulty sleeping. Sleep deprivation with a young family is difficult but I don't think her mom and sister and extended family would have encouraged her to come for the visit if she was having mental issues.

I'm very curious if she was taking Ambien...

Kansas woman who disappeared on her way to Alabama was going to see sister's newborn baby

Aug 7, 2020

A mother of three from Kansas was on her way to Birmingham to help with her sister's birth and seek therapy for a sleeping problem before she disappeared, according to her family.
I’ve wondered about this too. Years ago I was prescribed Prozac for depression. I couldn’t sleep for days, totally wired. It basically made me feel manic. Horrible to be awake and manic day after day, made me feel crazy. I guess some people can take it but some, like me, can’t.

I guess I’m wondering if she might have been on some prescription med like that and had an adverse reaction similar to what I had.

I’ve wondered about this too. Years ago I was prescribed Prozac for depression. I couldn’t sleep for days, totally wired. It basically made me feel manic. Horrible to be awake and manic day after day, made me feel crazy. I guess some people can take it but some, like me, can’t.

I guess I’m wondering if she might have been on some prescription med like that and had an adverse reaction similar to what I had.
Anyone can have a reaction to any medication. I had that reaction to codeine which I was prescribed for a injury which gave me significant pain. I felt anxious and fearful and ready to fight or flee.

Men back cars really well.
Women are capable of backing a car. Studies show that women are better drivers as well.

It’s less plausible to me that a man backed in then moved her body over to the driver’s seat all while inside the vehicle. Then he would have to climb out the back and shimmy over the top of the vehicle to get out. What would the motive be? This wasn’t a robbery.

Whatever we all think about about her mental state and who said what in the press, the medical examiner will have access to the actual doctors that treated her. So what anyone outside of LE thinks of her mental health is irrelevant.

But generally speaking, insomnia and mental health often go hand in hand. I find it ironic that so many here are speaking of the importance of taking mental health seriously, while others are dismissive because the husband was the one that brought up her mental health history. The kind of attitude expressed by the latter is exactly why people avoid seeking help for their mental health in the first place. It should not be seen as a stigma because he chose to bring it up.

I disagree. I was a sleep deprived mom caring for 3 children full time, and neither my husband nor any other man claimed I had mental health problems.

We don't get to decide whether she took her own life, sucide note or not. If her friends and family who loved her question it, then I will too.
JMO

Thank you.

I trust her mother that provided the very first account of her daughter having trouble sleeping.

Show me a sleep-deprived woman carrying for 3 children full-time, and I'll show you at least one man that will claim she has mental health problems.

The first statement I read about mental health issues was an actual QUOTE attributed to MC's husband!

And this same man tells us exactly what time she drove away into the night in her vehicle, all alone, on a 700-mile journey.

Yeah, I'll sign-off when I see the suicide note.

MOO

Last edited:
So plenty of room for MC to open the car door, especially given she was so thin.
I would say quite the opposite. That means that if the passenger side was pressed against the right wall, the drivers door could only be opened 18 inches and I'm sure the door is at least three or four inches thick. She might have been able to climb out the window or the hatch then squeeze past or crawl over but I very much doubt it.

Either she didn't back in or she didn't close the doors of the shipping container, I'm quite sure.

This is deeply personal and OT, Hence why it's in a bubble, But I just wanted to say it because I feel others may feel the same.

Rather Marilane commited suicide or not.... Her death as saved one person who was very close...

The dimensions of the car and the container were posted upthread. The container is 18 inches wider than the car, is that right?
Also, how do we know she backed straight in with no hesitation? She obviously got in eventually, but we don't know how many trys it took her or if she scraped the sides.

Right?! It looks like she backed straight in with no hesitation. That would be so difficult to do; there is not much room for error.

Could one not close one door completely then grab the other door and pull it partially closed from inside the container. I personally believe she searched and found the container, called her husband and mother then began the process of taking her life. This is so incredibly sad. MOO
Given the space she had, It would be Extraordinarily difficult IMO, But likely not impossible.

I would say quite the opposite. That means that if the passenger side was pressed against the right wall, the drivers door could only be opened 18 inches and I'm sure the door is at least three or four inches thick. She might have been able to climb out the window or the hatch then squeeze past or crawl over but I very much doubt it.

Either she didn't back in or she didn't close the doors of the shipping container, I'm quite sure.
Yes, nine inches either side. And she is not thin, she is the size of a normal healthy young woman.

The interior width of the container is 7'8", so that leave only 14 inches, and if you look at the photo, assuming she backed in, her driver side door is closer than the passenger side door. For scale, the tires are 10 inches wide, so her door was only about 5 inches from the wall.

Probably the one-way tire tracks in the grassy field. What a sad story. Heartbreaking for her very young children. :([/QUOTE
I really, really wonder if she was the type of woman that knew much about carbon monoxide poisoning. She seems like a very gentle sweet woman. A loving mother and the kind of woman that relied on her husband for car stuff and technical things.

I think it's safe to say she never in a million years knew she was going to stumble upon unlocked shipping containers while being lost. And I really doubt that stumbling upon an unlocked shipping container made her right then and there decide that suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning was the thing to do.
No goodbye note. No 'mummy loves you so much, this is not your fault' etc.

Something is just not right.
This is deeply personal and OT, Hence why it's in a bubble, But I just wanted to say it because I feel others may feel the same.

Rather Marilane commited suicide or not.... Her death as saved one person who was very close...

Please PM me if you need to talk, MM. I'm praying you find peace.

You can text HOME t0 741741 if you are in the US or Canada (85258 in the UK; 50808 in Ireland) - this is the Crisis Text Line and they will respond and help you figure out what to do. More information is online Crisis Text Line | Text HOME To 741741 free, 24/7 Crisis Counseling

They're also there for anyone dealing with anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, COVID-19 stress, or any other mental health issues.

@Occam's Zebra, thank you! Such helpful numbers. Just passed the text HOME to 741741 to a friend and they were extremely helpful.

One thing is that’s it’s texting not calling so, easier to be private and the helper responds quickly and with good advice.

• Texting is convenient and easy and such a part of our lives now.
  • This is a number that would be great to go ahead and add to your contacts in your phone instead of waiting for a crisis.
  • If you know someone you think it will help, do you think you could reach out and ask them if they want the number?

Text HOME t0 741741 if you are in the US or Canada
in the UK
in Ireland

moo

Whatever we all think about about her mental state and who said what in the press, the medical examiner will have access to the actual doctors that treated her. So what anyone outside of LE thinks of her mental health is irrelevant.

But generally speaking, insomnia and mental health often go hand in hand. I find it ironic that so many here are speaking of the importance of taking mental health seriously, while others are dismissive because the husband was the one that brought up her mental health history. The kind of attitude expressed by the latter is exactly why people avoid seeking help for their mental health in the first place. It should not be seen as a stigma because he chose to bring it up.
BBM
Glad someone spoke up and said this. A number of people have pointed out that the initial report she had trouble sleeping; and the subsequent story of seeking mental health treatment; are not the same. I beg to differ!

@MurderMittens, I am so glad you were strong and so glad you are here. See how one person helped you? No telling how many your spoiler may help others!

Text HOME t0 741741 if you are in the US or Canada (85258 in the UK; 50808 in Ireland) Pass it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithstarr