Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d question it - especially since her last conversation with someone was described as confused, lost, disoriented on a dirt road.
JMO

I’m used to backing trailers, boats - but under emotional distress (possible paranoia in hiding?) or overly tired - I have to pay more attention to what I’m doing.

Also, women are more than capable of reversing a vehicle into a small space!!!!

would we be questioning this if she were a man??
I would be questioning this if she were a man because WHY? No matter your gender it’s way more time consuming and difficult to back car into such a crazy, tight spot than to just drive into it. If there’s a good reason, then that’s fine, but I think it’s odd and needs investigation.

I agree it’s most likely this woman was suffering and this was a suicide. Or possibly an accident. But there are some things that don’t sit well with me and I believe warrants investigating. I just hope it’s done because she deserves that no matter what happened to her.

Whoever mentioned upthread that as her husband travelled to Birmingham in case she turned up,and have his phone pings been checked.....why? He’s not a suspect so why would police check that when they are saying it’s a probable suicide?

it really does sound like this woman decided to take her own life.

no medication problems,brothers in law involvement or anything else......she chose it herself. Her own doing. She’s being painted as some poor little woman with no control over her life,who has been wronged by these male figures, when in reality it all points to her choosing a container to hide in to end her own life. Herself.

mare LE saying her death is suspicious? I’m in the uk so not seen that.
Well if I ever turn up dead in a shipping container I hope my husband is checked out! Just to rule out anything nefarious. Shouldn’t that be the norm?

(FTR my husband loves me and there’d be no reason to suspect him. Just an example. :D)

I have this sneaking suspicion that she knew the location of the containers, perhaps not well, but that she had been there in the past, accompanied by someone else, and that the location was symbolically evocative to her.
I really don't think so.
I would be scared to go over there and open those containers. God knows what's in there.
There could be meth lab inside or other illigal activity. And some really angry people.

And you're on private property.

Re: LE not opening the containers to search. They are on private property. NO evidence of a crime committed. They would need a search warrant. I cannot see a judge granting one.

The uncle was (well-intentioned) trespassing and got 'lucky'.
It is private property, but at the very least they should have asked the property owner to check the property since her phone last pinged around there. And they said they saw the containers so they should have asked them to check in those. I think it inexcusable they didn’t even do that.

When you look at the video I just posted and pictures of the tyre tracks inside the container, it's not so much about if a woman could do that.

It's one scary narrow box and the way the car went in (angle) and then after a single correction in a perfect straight line. That was a parking precision job.
I'm sorry but it just doesn't fit with a lost, disoriented, suicidal woman.

what does fit with a lost disoriented suicidal woman then?

because they are not all a wobbly wreck you know.....

I think what’s bothering me about this case is that if we didn’t have the mom saying she had trouble sleeping and the husband then saying she had some mental health issues, what would we have?
A mom going on a trip to visit her family (sister having a baby), checking into a hotel along the way and ending up dead in a shipping container in a field. o_O
Now the statements about her mental state probably ARE telling here, but I hope they don’t discount anything that should be looked into just based on those statements.
I think what her mother thinks happened is what I’ll be comfortable believing.

what does fit with a lost disoriented suicidal woman then?

because they are not all a wobbly wreck you know.....
<modsnip: No MSM link to substantiate>

If she really wanted to kill herself that way, I would think she would drive in nose first, climb out the back and close the doors as far as possible and get back in the car.

The way the car was found, I think there's either a third party involved. Or she wanted to sleep and be safe. So was right in front of the doors, nobody could show up unexpextedly at one of the doors/back. And could make a quick getaway if nescessary. So that would be an accident if she wanted to keep the A/C running. Not suicide.

People have parking habits. You either prefer backing up or nose first.
The footage at the hotel and gas station show her car parked nose first if I'm right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest question for me is how could she get so lost if she had navigation?

Does anyone know if LE can get any info from her navigation?

I've gotten horribly lost even with navigation. I know someone who, in the dead of night, drove into the middle of a field because the GPS was directing him that way.

It happens.

I don't see anything nefarious about what happened to Marilane. I'm not sure why people seem to think the husband is involved somehow. I'm not getting that at all.

Mental illness, drugs, alcohol, a drug reaction - whatever was happening with Marilane is tragic and yet by driving into that Container, I can't help but believe it was purposeful. It wasn't an accident IMO.

I hate that we are sitting here trying to blame the police, her family etc. for what happened. If you ever have dealt with a mentally ill person who is determined to do what they want to do you would understand what Marilane's family was up against. It is heartbreaking, intensely scary and the inability to understand and help is probably the worst feeling to have in these types of situations.

IMO Marilane was in crisis and in terrible emotional and psychological pain. Her illness dictated her story from the moment she decided to drive, rather than use the plane ticket. Whether she left with a plan to commit suicide or whether she developed a plan on her route, we will never know.

I do not believe she was murdered. I do not believe her husband had anything to do with her death. I do believe, in an altered state, Marilane made the decision to end her life alone in a dark shipping container and that is so incredibly sad that I have a hard time even typing that.

This is my opinion only. If the results of the autopsy show something different, I'll eat my words. I just think this is a horrible tragedy.

MOO

Um, so do women. I am great at it. I will point out that I don't go around backing into my parking spaces all the time, but still.
I've had male colleagues that kept backing in and just couldn't do it and kept using two parking spaces. I asked them why they kept doing it if they just couldn't do it.

And I've asked men in parking lots if it was really that hard to park a SUV when they were taking two spots. I'm a woman and they didn't like it.

But I'm curious. How many women here prefer backing in to nose first?

I've had male colleagues that kept backing in and just couldn't do it and kept using two parking spaces. I asked them why they kept doing it if they just couldn't do it.

And I've asked men in parking lots if it was really that hard to park a SUV when they were taking two spots. I'm a woman and they didn't like it.

But I'm curious. How many women here prefer backing in to nose first?

I don't prefer it naturally, but I can if needed. There are some situations that it just works best in.

I don't see anything nefarious about what happened to Marilane. I'm not sure why people seem to think the husband is involved somehow. I'm not getting that at all.

Mental illness, drugs, alcohol, a drug reaction - whatever was happening with Marilane is tragic and yet by driving into that Container, I can't help but believe it was purposeful. It wasn't an accident IMO.

I hate that we are sitting here trying to blame the police, her family etc. for what happened. If you ever have dealt with a mentally ill person who is determined to do what they want to do you would understand what Marilane's family was up against. It is heartbreaking, intensely scary and the inability to understand and help is probably the worst feeling to have in these types of situations.

IMO Marilane was in crisis and in terrible emotional and psychological pain. Her illness dictated her story from the moment she decided to drive, rather than use the plane ticket. Whether she left with a plan to commit suicide or whether she developed a plan on her route, we will never know.

I do not believe she was murdered. I do not believe her husband had anything to do with her death. I do believe, in an altered state, Marilane made the decision to end her life alone in a dark shipping container and that is so incredibly sad that I have a hard time even typing that.

This is my opinion only. If the results of the autopsy show something different, I'll eat my words. I just think this is a horrible tragedy.

MOO
What bothers me big time is that everyone's convinced it's suicide.

It could very well NOT have been her intention to kill herself, but trying to create a situation where she could sleep for a while, out of sight. And where nobody could sneak up on her.

That's what bothers me. And there could also have been a crime.

I would be questioning this if she were a man because WHY? No matter your gender it’s way more time consuming and difficult to back car into such a crazy, tight spot than to just drive into it. If there’s a good reason, then that’s fine, but I think it’s odd and needs investigation.

I agree it’s most likely this woman was suffering and this was a suicide. Or possibly an accident. But there are some things that don’t sit well with me and I believe warrants investigating. I just hope it’s done because she deserves that no matter what happened to her.

I think it would be difficult for anyone, especially if it was dark. It would have been dark as soon as the rear of the vehicle entered the container. I just think it would have taken several tries.

If the wind did close the door how would it have been clamped down? The doors are held close by a cam type clamp that rotates to lock it in place, but maybe it wasn't closed tight. I don't think there is any way someone could have gotten out of the car, pulled the door closed and then got back in the car. Once that door was closed it would have been pitch black inside, unless car lights were on. Reality would have really changed once that door closed. Just pretty odd to me.

For me its extremely difficult to back up with some added stresses on the mind, like kids wanting to hurry up and get that boat in the water or people waiting to launch as you try to back up. Just a few minor added stresses or thoughts in the mind makes it difficult to back up.

These are my thoughts an opinions only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member