Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
When im thinking about it. Isn't it a super weird move? To first check in a hotel and in between go by their house and kill Suzanne and then going back? This is so easy to track. Jmo
It reminds of when someone brags about a crime they committed.
And as we all know from being on WS is that bleach doesn’t just magically “disappear” blood like murderers seem to think.
Right? Even if it did “magically disappear” blood, you’d still have the strong odor...

Being of similar age to the neighbor, I definitely would have checked the mail to see if anyone was around. He could have had his eye on the mail for a long time, kind of pre planning. I guess we don't know if there is a real mail box, a slot in the door, whatever? Delivery at the bottom of the hill?

Just to add some confusion to the mix.... I go days without checking my mail. I'm able bodied and very much alive... Unless the contents or dates were significant I don't think this is much of a clue. Am I missing something?

How did he not think this would be discovered?!?!
He didn’t have that many options, I guess. And it’s been almost 4 months and he’s still grilling and chilling, so he may think that the most important part was getting rid of Suzanne. The rest he could make up as he went along. I know that it seems ridiculous to us, but he could still live his life for years without being charged.

Another intriguing question: How plentiful was bleach in CO then? Because here in the UK, you'd be hard pressed to find a bottle of bleach in that time frame. Everyone was loading up on disinfectant cleaners. Any kind of disinfectant.

Would his hardscaping use bleach for any reason? Like rinsing the rocks or something? I know nothing about that stuff, obviously. It also sounds heinously bad for the environment.

Good point! I am in Colorado, and we couldn't buy household bleach for the longest time. Maybe only readily available the past couple of months?

If he did not want them found in the house why leave them in the hotel?
I'm unclear if the mail was opened or unopened. In any case, the only reason that I can think of is that this was something BM overlooked.

You know that his mind had to be going a mile a minute with trying to cover every detail. He may have been distracted as he was leaving to go back home and simply forgot to gather the mail before he left.

Yeah, the plans and actions that weekend seem so scrambled and last minute, especially the call to the employee on Sunday morning. He was making decisions as he went along and that's why the details he gave to AM were so vague and inconsistent. When you are hurried or in a frenzy, mistakes are made and it's harder to get the story straight after the fact.

I'm sorry if this was discussed...

1. Do we know what time BM called JP?
2. What time did JP arrive in Broomsfield?
3. How did JP obtain his key?
4. Was JP alone (cough cough)?

Just to add some confusion to the mix.... I go days without checking my mail. I'm able bodied and very much alive... Unless the contents or dates were significant I don't think this is much of a clue. Am I missing something?
Everyone has different habits, so it all depends what was normal for her.

I’m of the opinion that Barry is responsible for this, so that mail probably has some significance as I see it.

There has to be a reason that he brought it, provided that it was delivered on Saturday.

I’m of the opinion that Barry is responsible for this, so that mail probably has some significance as I see it.

There has to be a reason that he brought it, provided that it was delivered on Saturday.

We agree, the contents or dates were significant. I don't think the CCSO would begin searching for a missing woman based on mail still in the box.

That was my point. The mail is an important part of this puzzle. I think BM is about as sharp as a ball and has been scrambling for 112 days. Well, except when he's winning push up contests.

I agree - if i err on the side of zero premeditation, I think something arrived in the post on Saturday, Suzanne opened it and was shocked at what she read (something financial related to one of the properties). She confronted Barry, an argument ensued and then...well we know what happened next. He then took the letter(s) as part of his clean up, as he didn't want anybody to find them. The fact that the alleged sloppy alibi (colleague) has now been made public, this further points to a rage/spur of the moment killing as it just wasn't thought through, at all! Maybe i'm just giving Barry more credit than he deserves though...

I still haven't ruled out premeditation though - based on the sheer convenience of the girls being away on a trip and the ALLEGED issue with their home security cameras.

Edited to add JMO

I think the significance of the mail may not what the mail was, but the fact that BM had it at all. If he left that mail in the mailbox, it might show that Suzanne wasn’t around to retrieve it. Remember, Suzanne has to still be alive on Sunday, as she “went for a bike ride.”

It all comes down to what time the mail arrives.

Of course it’s also possible that something arrived in the mail on Saturday, and it sparked a major argument.

Sorry @MassGuy, I missed this post. ITA

When im thinking about it. Isn't it a super weird move? To first check in a hotel and in between go by their house and kill Suzanne and then going back? This is so easy to track. Jmo
This is what Jason Young did. He drove a couple of hours up the road to spend the night in a hotel under the guise that he had a business meeting the next day. He did this to establish his alibi of being away from the house when his wife was murdered.

I agree - if i err on the side of zero premeditation, I think something arrived in the post on Saturday, Suzanne opened it and was shocked at what she read (something financial related to one of the properties). She confronted Barry, an argument ensued and then...well we know what happened next. He then took the letter(s) as part of his clean up, as he didn't want anybody to find them. The fact that the alleged sloppy alibi (colleague) has now been made public, this further points to a rage/spur of the moment killing as it just wasn't thought through, at all! Maybe i'm just giving Barry more credit than he deserves though...

I still haven't ruled out premeditation though - based on the sheer convenience of the girls being away on a trip and the ALLEGED issue with their home security cameras.

Edited to add JMO
I’m able to write off the girls being out of town, a hell of a lot easier than I can write off the camera system not working.

Then again, we not only don’t know if it is true in the first place, or that BM didn’t disable it on Saturday and lie to LE about when it stopped working.

As much as I want to see this case wrapped up, I don’t think we should rely on facts from the Daily Mail. Their articles are generally so messed up. Quotes wrong, dates wrong, etc.

I have stayed in two separate hotels that had a whirlpool in them and the smell of chlorine was so strong I couldn’t stand it and had to ask for a different room. It’s possible BM never used chlorine. Or maybe that room didn’t have a whirlpool. The article didn’t say.

And leaving wet towels around after showering only means he is a slob.

On the other hand, if LE has found a transaction from credit cards or his bank where he purchased chlorine that’s a different matter.

I’m certain LE would have checked that hotel room for Suzanne's DNA or blood if they thought a clean up had occurred.

I am interested in hearing what Lauren finds out from the worker BM called to the hotel.

Typical to ask neighbors to take in your mail while on vacation, in my experience, to avoid a buildup tip off for thieves. I don't even know where their mailbox is, but like I said, if I were checking on someone who is inexplicably missing, and I see a bunch of mail in the box, I'll figure that's a good time stamp on how long they've been gone. Barry could have just grabbed the mail on his way out at cough cough 5 am, maybe expecting something. We don't even know what else was in that stack. Maybe a valentine.

Rural area mail service usually requires a bank of mailboxes for the neighborhood. I imagine these boxes are fairly close to Hwy 50 where most neighbors would not leave their mail uncollected. In my experience, it's kind of automatic to grab the mail when entering (or leaving) the subdivision -- depending on the time of day and whether or not mail had been delivered.

Suzanne Morphew’s husband left cheap Denver hotel room reeking of chlorine, contractor claims | FOX21 News Colorado

Jeffrey Puckett told FOX21 News he arrived at the motel on May 10 and stayed in a room Barry had purchased for him. Puckett described noticing a strong smell of chlorine in the air.

“I thought the pool might have been open, but it wasn’t,” Puckett said.

The motel confirmed the pool is closed due to COVID-19 restrictions. A manager also said they do not use chlorine to clean their rooms, only Peroxide multi-surface cleaner.

Puckett also said he found a letter, addressed to Barry, in the trash inside the room. He said it involved property insurance and that he later turned it over to investigators.

“My first thought was, ‘alibi’,” Puckett said. “When I found the mail the next morning, just kinda looked like an alibi.”

Puckett said he didn’t know the day Barry arrived in Broomfield and couldn’t be sure of the day he left, but did know the reason – a family emergency.

Puckett mentioned he saw Barry in person on Saturday, May 9, and described the work he’d been hired to do, a project involving fixing a wall. But, he said, Barry didn’t leave him to tools he needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa