IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

Jodi’s case was one of the first missing persons cases I ever fell into and obsessed over. I read ‘Dead Air’ multiple times, reviewed the details of her case again and again. She comes into my thoughts frequently. Bumping for her because she came to me again today and it bothers me immensely that we know so little about what happened to her. She deserves justice. Her loved ones deserve to know what happened. I hope it is only a matter of time before the truth of what happened that morning is revealed and her killer is exposed.

Thanks for link. Remarkable that they found the Miata! Great work! Interesting analysis, but a lot of unanswered questions. My understanding is that the seller of the car was an Osage businessman, but his name was not brought up in podcast. Has the identity of the seller of the Miata still not been established? Presumably the moonlighting salesman who brokered the transaction arranged for a purchase/sale agreement to document the transaction (would have been very unusual for a significant transaction to not have been papered in some way) and if so did Jodi's copy of that agreement wind up with Jodi's mother? Would be curious to know source of the $10k or so presumably paid for the car. Did Jodi have that much cash on hand after sale of her old car? Did she trade in her old car? Did she take out a bank loan? If not, did a private party - such as the seller or a friend - lend Jodi the money? Check Jodi's old bank records - did a lump sum move out in 6/1995, or is there instead a copy of a 6/95 bank loan agreement? If she hadn't the cash, and I'd bet she didn't, where did the cash come from? If the cash came from a private third party, that could be interesting... And was the transaction 'arm's length' i.e. at market value, or was it sold below market value as a 'favor'? Did police find in Jodi's possession the seller's vehicle title, with the part the seller is to have filled out executed, showing sales price? Jodi would have needed this to take to the courthouse to get new title in her name as new owner of the vehicle.

Huge long-shot but is it conceivable that Jodi's disappearance had to do with the transaction, to do with $$$ a 'follow the money' type deal? Such as, irate (dumped?) seller was waiting there right next to the car there to collect promised money due (past due?) him and get his plates back, things went south, lost temper, ....... Supposedly, a name sounding like 'John' was screamed around the time of the confrontation next to the Miata.
I’ve never considered this & it’s entirely possible. In Jodi’s words, it would be “wild“ if this is the true “smoking gun”. We’ve chased leads for drug dealers, county employees, ol’ JV, possible stories she was about to expose as a reporter, etc. But, yeah... What if the motive was related to good old-fashioned money & her car was the issue?!

I’ve never considered this & it’s entirely possible. In Jodi’s words, it would be “wild“ if this is the true “smoking gun”. We’ve chased leads for drug dealers, county employees, ol’ JV, possible stories she was about to expose as a reporter, etc. But, yeah... What if the motive was related to good old-fashioned money & her car was the issue?!
Well then you might go to the find jodi dot com website and check out this message board string including posts made on Dec. 31 2011 by an individual (not me) concerning the purchase/sale of the Miata !!
Forum • Find Jodi Huisentruit

Last edited:
Well then you might go to the find jodi dot com website and check out this message board string including posts made on Dec. 31 2011 by an individual (not me) concerning the purchase/sale of the Miata !!

I have read that in the past. It seems likely that there is a connection. With all of the names that have been published in regards to this case, I have always found it odd that the name of the owner of the car she was driving doesn't seem to be talked about much. Another very strange part of the case is Jodi's mental health at the time of her disappearance. It is another factor that isn't talked about much. We will probably never know, but it would be great to know just how much effort Mason City Police have put into the various theories and POI's.

rbbm.
Beginning to see that as a very plausible theory, thinking also of the bent car key, imo.
After 25 years, family and friends still wonder, where’s Jodi Huisentruit?
''Her bent car key lay on the ground near the Miata, and police believe the young woman was unlocking her car door when she was taken.''

Media

I have read that in the past. It seems likely that there is a connection. With all of the names that have been published in regards to this case, I have always found it odd that the name of the owner of the car she was driving doesn't seem to be talked about much. Another very strange part of the case is Jodi's mental health at the time of her disappearance. It is another factor that isn't talked about much. We will probably never know, but it would be great to know just how much effort Mason City Police have put into the various theories and POI's.
Have you seen reports of issues with her mental health at the time of her disappearance? Other than her concerns regarding the “stalker”, I haven’t seen anything concerning. Am I missing something?

Have you seen reports of issues with her mental health at the time of her disappearance? Other than her concerns regarding the “stalker”, I haven’t seen anything concerning. Am I missing something?

It is more of a "read between the lines" thing. It has been a while, so I do not recall her former coworkers name, but if you read about what she has had to say in the time since Jodi went missing and watch the interview with her, she kind of dances around it. This in no way is to be victim blaming, just an observation and a lingering question I've had.

From recently released findjodi podcast 6: "The original owner of the Mazda Miata told a CBS “48 Hours” crew that he met Jodi only once, to turn over the keys to the vehicle. We have tried unsuccessfully to reach him directly for this post."

That he (the seller of the Miata) met Jodi only once is directly at odds with what the poster in 2011 stated at findjodi dot com (see link a few posts above). Of course, a random message board post - who ya gonna believe?!

FWIW - 48 Hours clearly knew who the seller was - they spoke with him in 1995! - and findjodi folks clearly know who the seller is - they say they recently "tried unsuccessfully to reach him directly for this post"

Last edited:
That’s an interesting rabbit hole- I was thinking article, but message boards are always intriguing.

The one thing LE has (still has I hope) is the palm print on the Miata & some DNA. I would think that palm print & DNA would have been compared to John Vansice, John Lessard, Toni Jackson, Dustin Honken, public works guy... and anyone else I can’t remember. Even if they have to get the DNA chasing after bubble gum & coffee cup trash.
Jodi Huisentruit mystery: The decades-long search for the missing TV news anchor

That’s an interesting rabbit hole- I was thinking article, but message boards are always intriguing.

The one thing LE has (still has I hope) is the palm print on the Miata & some DNA. I would think that palm print & DNA would have been compared to John Vansice, John Lessard, Toni Jackson, Dustin Honken, public works guy... and anyone else I can’t remember. Even if they have to get the DNA chasing after bubble gum & coffee cup trash.
Jodi Huisentruit mystery: The decades-long search for the missing TV news anchor
Yeah, you'd think palm prints for all of these guys would have been obtained and checked for match, but who knows.

Interesting that in the linked 2019 CBS 48Hours update on the case, at 24 minutes in, the Miata is discussed. Notably:
* John Lessard is identified as the seller
* John Vansice's friend LaDonna states that JV had told her, before JH was abducted, that the Miata was a 'gift from a boyfriend' and that JH intended to give the Miata back to said supposed boyfriend.

That Miata transaction was quite hinky. And then JH ends up being assaulted - not on some jogging trail, in her apt. etc, but as she tries to get into the vehicle... The seller says he only ever met JH when he handed her the keys. That seems at odds with both what JV says and what the poster on findjodi said in 2011. I wonder if JH's phone records too were at odds with seller's apparent assertion that he had no contact with JH other than handing her the keys. Do JH's phone records from 1995 show any contacts with the seller of the Miata?

Also, the Miata transaction value was estimated at $10,000. If it traded at $10,000, I'd say that was not an arm's length transaction. Near as I can tell, a '91 Miata in '95 in nice shape and low miles would have traded at more like $15-20,000. Miatas were all the rage back then.

Last edited:
Yeah, you'd think palm prints for all of these guys would have been obtained and checked for match, but who knows.

Interesting that in the linked 2019 CBS 48Hours update on the case, at 24 minutes in, the Miata is discussed. Notably:
* John Lessard is identified as the seller
* John Vansice's friend LaDonna states that JV had told her, before JH was abducted, that the Miata was a 'gift from a boyfriend' and that JH intended to give the Miata back to said supposed boyfriend.

That Miata transaction was quite hinky. And then JH ends up being assaulted as she tries to get into the vehicle...
All true. But if ownership was never transferred to Jodi, why did LE release the car back to Jodi’s mom? Why not return it to the owner on title, JL? A lot of weird details & minimal clarification.

All true. But if ownership was never transferred to Jodi, why did LE release the car back to Jodi’s mom? Why not return it to the owner on title, JL? A lot of weird details & minimal clarification.
I had the same thought. From recent find jodi dot com article: "We also reached the son of that car salesman. He told FindJodi his late father was shocked when he heard about Jodi’s abduction, saying “I just sold her the car!” The son also told us his father helped Jodi’s now deceased mom with transactions involving the car which was eventually sold to a Minnesota car dealer"

Clear as mud.

Also, the Miata transaction value was estimated at $10,000. If it traded at $10,000, I'd say that was not an arm's length transaction. Near as I can tell, a '91 Miata in '95 in nice shape and low miles would have traded at more like $15-20,000. Miatas were all the rage back then.

And $15-20,000 in '95 would be $30-40,000 in today's dollars, for perspective. I doubt Jodi had that much laying around. I'd bet either not an arm's length full price transaction or some sort of financing, perhaps seller financing, involved.

And another thing. A witness at Key Apts heard the abduction take place. He claimed that arguing and screaming went on for a full minute. Would it take a full minute to silence a petite thing like Jodi. I definitely think not. Was it not just an abduction, but a confrontation over something, such as a vehicle, and argument about that, devolved into anger, assault, screams, dragging off body. Was Jodi not taken off in the van, but in the sedan seen speeding from the Key Apts. lot that morn? And what about the empty beer cans in the apt and the toilet seat up. Who spent the night?

I had the same thought. From recent find jodi dot com article: "We also reached the son of that car salesman. He told FindJodi his late father was shocked when he heard about Jodi’s abduction, saying “I just sold her the car!” The son also told us his father helped Jodi’s now deceased mom with transactions involving the car which was eventually sold to a Minnesota car dealer"

Clear as mud.
Maybe he was so helpful to get it sold to a MN car dealer to get it far away from the area. Out of sight, out of mind.

Maybe he was so helpful to get it sold to a MN car dealer to get it far away from the area. Out of sight, out of mind.
I think Jodi's mom had the Miata for a year or two before selling it, FWIW. Poor thing, probably held out hope for Jodi's return. Would love to know full details of what she had to do to take title.

Beloved Anchor Jodi Huisentruit Vanished Before Her Morning Broadcast, Police Fear Murder | Talk Murder To Me
''Police immediately noticed that Jodi’s red Mazda Miata was parked in her usual spot, but a closer look could see that there had been a struggle in the parking lot. Police believe that as Jodi was walking to her car, her abductor approached her from behind, knocking her unconscious before dragging her to his or her vehicle. The crime scene also reflected a scenario where Jodi was fighting her attacker tooth and nail, as her heel, car key, hair dryer, along with other personal items were scattered along the parking lot.''

Jodi-Huisentruit-evidence-2.jpg

Jodi-Huisentruit-evidence-3.jpg

Jodi-Huisentruit-evidence-4.jpg

Beloved Anchor Jodi Huisentruit Vanished Before Her Morning Broadcast, Police Fear Murder | Talk Murder To Me
''Police immediately noticed that Jodi’s red Mazda Miata was parked in her usual spot, but a closer look could see that there had been a struggle in the parking lot. Police believe that as Jodi was walking to her car, her abductor approached her from behind, knocking her unconscious before dragging her to his or her vehicle. The crime scene also reflected a scenario where Jodi was fighting her attacker tooth and nail, as her heel, car key, hair dryer, along with other personal items were scattered along the parking lot.''
This quote seems self-contradictory, saying JH was knocked unconscious from behind, on the one hand, and that she fought tooth and nail on the other. I think it was the latter. Witness Vic Koenigsberg (link below) heard the attack, says he 'heard screaming' that 'went on for about a minute or so'. That is not consistent with being surprised from behind and knocked unconscious...

This quote is self-contradictory, saying JH was knocked unconscious from behind, on the one hand, and that she fought tooth and nail on the other. I think it was the latter. Witness Vic Koenigsberg (link below) heard the attack, says he 'heard screaming' that 'went on for about a minute or so'. That is not consistent with being surprised from behind and knocked unconscious...
The quote was awkwardly worded, but i took it to mean that the crime scene suggested that either she was knocked unconscious OR she fought tooth and nail. imo.
rbbm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann
Back