Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet SM knew of the "monster" in BM, but didn't expect it to come out in her ending up missing.
I'm sure she saw sides of him others had no idea of. And I'll bet she didn't tell and learned how to forgive and put it behind them, until the next time. I would imagine she walked on eggshells sometimes, if not usually. She knew who BM is, but just tried to deal with it when it reared it's ugly head. If he was a drinker (which I suspect) then I would imagine she blamed some of his behaviors on his drinking.
I expect we will discover this was an emotionally abusive marriage all along and SM had grown used to it and how to manage it, until she couldn't one day.
moo
The idea that BM has always been an abusive jerk helps us make some sense of his actions, but it’s possible that SM would have honestly claimed that her husband was ‘a good guy,’ a bit of a jerk sometimes to deal with in business, but ‘a good guy’.
Whatever the case, it doesn’t matter, judgement day is coming.
JMO

I’m confused about these messages from a “best friend” having taken place over a social media platform. I don’t ever use social media to communicate with my “best friends” unless one of our phones is temporarily out of order, or if we are making simple comments on each other’s social media posts. The latter would not warrant a statement of concern over communication suddenly stopping.

I’m close in age to SM. I communicate with my closest friends via text or phone call.

I suppose if I were to communicate with a close friend via something like Facebook messenger, another reason for this would be if I was concerned someone is monitoring my texts, and I don’t want them to. Hypothetically speaking.

Edited for clarification: I have now read two different versions; that she was communicating with a friend via text and that she was communicating with the good friend via social media. If it was the former, then disregard this post. ;)
They had spotty cell coverage at the house. It was probably more reliable to use FB messenger, IMO.

Somewhat O/T: I just exited off the interstate between PA and Ohio. A mile back, I passed a large cooler on the side of the road. <shudder>.

After this week’s discussions, I may never again look the same way at a random abandoned cooler. :(

You're correct. About half of all states require indictments in major criminal cases & half do not require them. Here in Indiana, for example,
the vast majority of all cases are filed by information, though the grand jury procedure does exist.

In my experience (both as a deputy prosecutor & defense attorney), grand juries are typically used for politically sensitive cases. A grand jury indictment gives a prosecutor "cover" to pursue charges against a politically powerful defendant; a no-bill from a grand jury gives a prosecutor political cover to not pursue charges against a politically powerful person.
^^BBM

I think that's typical wherever grand juries are used. But let's not forget football!

Besides the Ramsey case, the only other time I recall a grand jury used was for the early 2000's *Univ of Colorado ("CU") football scandal re. sexual assaults and money from the football camp was spent on prostitutes or illicit entertainment for football recruits.

In this case, there was an alleged grand jury leak that ultimately caused the Judge to unseal reports to the public, citing state legal precedents that allowed the document to be made public only if no indictments had been issued. (There was only one indictment, and the plea deal).

From the link:

She [CSU President] added the school does not tolerate sexual harassment and has made changes in athletics. Hoffman added the leak “undermines” the grand jury process and said the school is limited in how it can respond.

“The danger of any grand jury report is that it both accuses and condemns its targets with one-sided, unchallenged and misleading allegations based on secret evidence and testimony,” she said in a statement. “The party investigated has no opportunity to respond to allegations, provide evidence or even to know the evidence against it.”

Grand jury leak pushes football scandal back into spotlight

ETA: * CU not CSU

Thanks @Dalgliesh

Last edited:
The idea that BM has always been an abusive jerk helps us make some sense of his actions, but it’s possible that SM would have honestly claimed that her husband was ‘a good guy,’ a bit of a jerk sometimes to deal with in business, but ‘a good guy’.
JMO
Trust me. If BM was a jerk in business sometimes he was a jerk in the marriage sometimes too. Speaking for a friend.
moo

Somewhat O/T: I just exited off the interstate between PA and Ohio. A mile back, I passed a large cooler on the side of the road. <shudder>.

After this week’s discussions, I may never again look the same way at a random abandoned cooler. :(
know what ya mean...
I've had a large plastic tack box for horse gear and it's on wheels- almost identical to Frazee's
black box.
Ick everytime I look at it now and I've had it for 20+ years.

Well I happen to think BM WAS a terrible guy.

- we know he's a prolific liar, it flows right off his tongue.

- he does have a history of violence, per the guy in Indiana who had a fight w/ him on a job site.

- he was a controller, per anonymous friend of SM from Indiana.

- We don't know if there was marital strife or
violence toward SM behind closed doors.

- all wasn't hunky dory in the marriage according to SM's friend.

- as with other controlling husbands he isolated his wife away from her family and friends.

- he delayed even asking for help to find his missing wife. too soon.

- he turns everything into a monologue about
himself. Totally self absorbed.

- We still don't know the REAL reason they
uprooted their life and moved to Colorado.
Maybe this will come out or maybe not.
I suspect BM wanted a fresh start where people
didn't know his reputation.

So no, BM is not Mr. Nice Guy. He'll fit right in with the other personality disordered murderers.

moo
I agree with you that there's something not yet understood (by us on this site) about the motive for moving to the present Morphew address from a place where the family seemed an integral part of that community (or at least Suzanne did). It seems to coincide time-wise with a breakdown in communications between the Morphews and some of the Moorman family. I don't think this is just to do with her father remarrying. Whatever the reasons, the net result found Suzanne isolated in Colorado with only her immediate family for support.
SM's church community was important to her. Her personal friends who were there for her during her latest bout of cancer and the treatment she needed (including chemo) were left behind too. Yes, these friends are a 'phone call or car journey away. But she was in the midst of that community and that would have been important to her.

Personally, I think the reasons behind the move to a new state, especially with one daughter still at school (if I have the age correct) could hold significance re recent events. I've no idea what the reasons are, and this is nothing more than pure speculation on my part, but it looks to me as though there may have been an intentional, major disconnect with the past. The extent to which BM, SM, and their daughters were individually in agreement and bought into the move I think could also surface - eventually - as a significant factor.
Based on what we have seen of BM so far, I can see that, if he wanted to move, SM would move with him. I do not, however, imagine that BM would do the same for his wife (the kind of work he does is portable, so that wouldn't be a legitimate reason).
He's still in touch with his mum (and? other members of his family?). The effect of moving home and the break with Suzanne's family isolated her. Was that intentional? I'm leaning towards thinking it was.
MOO

Thank you @Seattle1. Very informative. I missed some of the last thread because I never caught up before the new information came out.

I hope you didn’t have to repeat too much but I appreciate your time & expertise and will save those links. This is my first case I’ve followed on WS in Co or anywhere for that matter. So it sounds like we can expect the D.A. to file a complaint and information and then a preliminary hearing will follow.

I’m glad the witnesses will still be protected because that might be a very important part of the trial. Is the arraignment before the hearing? I will read and find the answers. I hope we do get to see him arraigned on camera!

It sounds like the D.A. “pulls the trigger” on when an arrest happens. So it makes more sense why an outgoing D.A. might hold off for the sake of continuity and a better chance at conviction. And then LE has more time to gather evidence and find Suzanne. But if BM confesses that would start the ball rolling now so maybe it would be in his best interest to go ahead and turn himself in. Lol :D Go on BM...the longer you wait the worse it’s going to be for you...and for your family. Do the right thing, man up and like AM said don’t go out as a coward!
^^bbm

If you're asking if the arraignment is before the preliminary hearing, the answer is no. The arraignment (hearing where the defendant enters plea guilty/not guilty), it follows this would occur AFTER the preliminary hearing.

From the link....

The Process:

1. Arrest: An officer may arrest a person when probable cause exists to believe he/she committed the offense. A police officer does not need a warrant to arrest someone he believes committed a crime.

2. 1st advisement: This is the first time the accused is brought into court. During this hearing, the judge will advise the accused that they are under “investigation”. This means the District Attorney has not filed charges yet. The Judge will advise the accused what crime they are being investigated for committing. Bond will be set on all cases except those involving investigations for homicides.

3. 2nd advisement: During this hearing, the judge will advise the accused what crime or crimes they have been charged with committing. The judge may also hear arguments to reduce bond.

4. Bond Hearing: A hearing in which the accused may ask the court to reduce the set amount of bond. Bond is an amount of money which is required to get out of jail while resolution of the criminal case. The posting of bond does not mean the case is over. You cannot pay to have a criminal case dismissed or thrown out. If the accused does not come to court after posting bond, the accused will be arrested.

5. Preliminary Hearing: At this hearing, the District Attorney will be required to present sufficient evidence to prove that it is more likely than not that the accused committed the crime or crimes he/she is charged with committing.

The District Attorney is not required to put on all of their evidence or even the testimony of the victim. The court will allow statements of witnesses to come into evidence through a detective or other police officer.

The accused will not testify. With few exceptions, only persons charged with a class 1, 2, or 3 felony or who are in jail on a class 4, 5, or 6 are entitled to this hearing. Any person may waive their right to a preliminary hearing. Waiving the hearing is not unusual and is done to keep open a plea bargain. By waiving a preliminary hearing, the accused does not waive any other of his/her rights.

A. Plea bargain - An agreement by the accused, his lawyer, and the District Attorney which may involve a reduction of charges, dismissal of some charges, or agreement on sentencing

6. Arraignment: A hearing in which the accused either enters a plea of not guilty and sets a jury trial or enters a plea of guilty to the agreed on plea bargain.

7. Jury Trial: A proceeding in which either 6 or 12 members of a jury determine the guilt or innocence of accused. [...]

http://www.coloradodefenders.us/wp-...e-to-the-colorado-criminal-justice-system.pdf

^^BBM

I think that's typical wherever grand juries are used. But let's not forget football!

Besides the Ramsey case, the only other time I recall a grand jury used was for the early 2000's Colorado State University("CSU") football scandal re. sexual assaults and money from the football camp was spent on prostitutes or illicit entertainment for football recruits.

In this case, there was an alleged grand jury leak that ultimately caused the Judge to unseal reports to the public, citing state legal precedents that allowed the document to be made public only if no indictments had been issued. (There was only one indictment, and the plea deal).

From the link:

She [CSU President] added the school does not tolerate sexual harassment and has made changes in athletics. Hoffman added the leak “undermines” the grand jury process and said the school is limited in how it can respond.

“The danger of any grand jury report is that it both accuses and condemns its targets with one-sided, unchallenged and misleading allegations based on secret evidence and testimony,” she said in a statement. “The party investigated has no opportunity to respond to allegations, provide evidence or even to know the evidence against it.”

Grand jury leak pushes football scandal back into spotlight
This appears to be a case involving the nationally prominent University of Colorado (CU) "Buffaloes" football program, not the lesser-known (outside the region) CSU "Rams." I didn't find a grand jury case involving the latter.

JMO

The thing about narcissists is that they really do appear to be "good guys," until they are not! When you first meet them, they can appear, too good to be true. However, they get tired of being nice, the mask slips, and you see the jerk behind the mask.

Last edited:
I listened to Andy describe his little sister. She was the girl that never did anything bad. She truly was the good girl that didn’t get into trouble. I can imagine that if Barry said that they should move to Colorado, she might be supportive and put the family needs above her own. There are many reasons why the move could be considered a good family opportunity.

I listened to Andy describe his little sister. She was the girl that never did anything bad. She truly was the good girl that didn’t get into trouble. I can imagine that if Barry said that they should move to Colorado, she might be supportive and put the family needs above her own. There are many reasons why the move could be considered a good family opportunity.
What if the oldest daughter expressed an interest in a college in Colorado? Previous trips sparked an interest in the next phase of their life? Or perhaps Barry wanted to move there and made sure the oldest went to college close by. JMO

I’m confused about these messages from a “best friend” having taken place over a social media platform. I don’t ever use social media to communicate with my “best friends” unless one of our phones is temporarily out of order, or if we are making simple comments on each other’s social media posts. The latter would not warrant a statement of concern over communication suddenly stopping.

I’m close in age to SM. I communicate with my closest friends via text or phone call.

I suppose if I were to communicate with a close friend via something like Facebook messenger, another reason for this would be if I was concerned someone is monitoring my texts, and I don’t want them to. Hypothetically speaking.

Edited for clarification: I have now read two different versions; that she was communicating with a friend via text and that she was communicating with the good friend via social media. If it was the former, then disregard this post. ;)

And I, older than Suzanne, use FB messenger almost exclusively to communicate with most of my same-aged friends. We all regard unscheduled phone calls and texts-in-general as intrusive. I have notification by sound alerts set up for text messages, but only a badge set up for FB messages. FB is conducive for sharing links, long typed messages, etc. Most people I know who use FB are typing on a keyboard, not with thumbs.

So for me, text is for mobile usage (phone) and emergencies. FB for preserving information, sharing links. communicating non-urgently with friends and family.

If someone is "monitoring" my messages - they'd be monitoring my texts too, both are right next to each other on all my devices.

Personally, I'd be surprised to find that SM hid her passwords from BM or from her daughters, for that matter.

I don't get you. Wouldnt it be half assets either way?

If Suzanne is gone, then BM gets 100%, unless Suzanne had an unusual will and/or trust.

In a divorce, Suzanne would get half. There are clearly financial benefits to her dying/disappearing, when seen from that POV.

Seeing as how BM already has full control of her assets, I'd say that so far, this is a much better situation for him than a divorce.

Last edited:
What if the oldest daughter expressed an interest in a college in Colorado? Previous trips sparked an interest in the next phase of their life? Or perhaps Barry wanted to move there and made sure the oldest went to college close by. JMO

If your last opinion is true, then it's more evidence of control by BM in that family. I've thought it interesting, all along, that the whole family uprooted from Indiana.

You’re correct that the YouTube channel is not an approved source.

However, it can be found on SM’s social media which can be shared here. Note it was posted October 2015 and IMO is not the type of cooler missing from the house.

https://twitter.com/srmorphew/status/659895672485888000?s=21

How do we know which cooler(s) are missing from the house? I must have missed that.

This could be part of it (although I think there was a good college located very close to where they used to live as well.) Maybe it had to do with her major, and her future, and even becoming part of the family business. They definitely seemed to like Colorado, and might have wanted to live out their remaining days there. People do make big changes. I am surprised that they didn’t wait until youngest child graduated high school. I don’t think in state tuition was the factor. It still feels like there is a missing piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675