GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

Missing Raleigh man's vehicle found in Virginia, whereabouts still unknown :: WRAL.com

The Raleigh Police Department announced Monday afternoon that the vehicle of William "Andy" Banks was located in Danville, Va., but that the search for Banks is still ongoing.

"Speculation is running wild," Andy's younger brother Mark told WRAL News. "We are letting the proper people work on that, and the family and friends are supplying as much relevant information as we can to lead to the speedy return of my older brother that we all love. Everybody loves Andy, and we desperately want to see him again."

Is it possible this can end up being a hostage/ransom situation?

It seems odd that the car has now been abandoned if that was what they were after.
Since the car’s been ditched, I don’t think that’s what they were after. And ransom demands are usually made immediately. I’m thinking robbery (forced to ATM) or revenge? Could these 2 have purchased a different car from AB that later had problems with title or mechanics? Just taking a wild guess. Right now we don’t really have enough info. And sometimes people do these type of things as gang initiation or thrill crimes. I’m confident LE will track the 2 “buyers” down though. Jmo

Great find! Thanks for linking that 911 audio.

In the 9-1-1 call, the caller mentioned twice that he left his other car (BMW) at the complex where his "ex-girlfriend" lives.

Anyone else find that a bit curious?

JMO.

yes, I heard that and it definitely made me think there is a possibility the motive could be more than carjacking/theft. I’m very familiar with this area and trust me it would be near impossible to avoid security cameras as well as many witnesses including the private security that patrols the area. Also the car seems to have been found relatively easily. So if the motive was for theft, then it seems like the suspects made very little effort to avoid being caught for a relatively small amount of money for what they stole. And then abandoned it pretty quickly. Really can’t make any sense of what their plans would have been

"AB’s silver 2012 Range Rover is reported off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off." That's where I would be searching. If your gonna do damage its usually close by to the initial meeting as to not be traveling with any suspicion as soon as possible.

"AB’s silver 2012 Range Rover is reported off the U.S. 29 bypass in Blairs, by the stop sign, with the lights turned off." That's where I would be searching. If your gonna do damage its usually close by to the initial meeting as to not be traveling with any suspicion as soon as possible.
That’s an excellent point and I hope there is not a body there

Is it possible this can end up being a hostage/ransom situation?

It seems odd that the car has now been abandoned if that was what they were after.

BBM:

I think it's extremely unlikely that we're looking at some kind of kidnapping for ransom.

Agreed that the car being abandoned is odd.

The fact that he had apparently parked his other vehicle in his ex-girlfriend's complex is also odd.
Apparently, he was going to walk back over to her complex after selling the other vehicle.

The more that we learn, the more the story is all starting to sound a bit "off" to me.

Circumstances here may turn out to be other than they appear to be at first blush in this case.

This is a weird one.

JMO.

Last edited:
Just catching up on this thread.

I must say, I am very concerned for Andy. This isn’t sounding good.

Perhaps the initial motive was theft, but when this case gained attention and momentum, the perps got scared and ditched the car.

I hope and pray they find Andy safe somewhere.

Is this where someone spotted the car yesterday, or where the car was found today?

BBM:

I think it's extremely unlikely that we're looking at some kind of kidnapping for ransom.

Agreed that the car being abandoned is odd.

The fact that he had apparently parked his other vehicle in his ex-girlfriend's complex is also odd.
Apparently, he was going to walk back over to her complex after selling the other vehicle.

I'd be interested to know what the ex-girlfriend had to tell LE about her interactions with AB that day.

This is all sounding a bit "off" to me as far as the narrative goes.

JMO.

The Cameron Village area and surrounding condos is all very walkable. It wouldn’t think anything of him leaving a car nearby, driving the Range Rover to Cameron Village and then waking back to his other car. (Approx 10 min walk). It’s also been really nice here weather wise.

Although good point about the ex-girlfriend. Maybe she knows more about something going on in his life than other people knew. I’d love for this to be some type of breakdown/escape as opposed to a theft/robbery.

Is this where someone spotted the car yesterday, or where the car was found today?

The car was spotted at 8:30pm in Blair’s which is in Virginia near Danville (where the car was ultimate found). Both locations are 1.5 - 2 hours from Raleigh (I think).

At 8:30pm last night the car was spotted in Blairs parked at or near a stop sign with the lights off.

Last edited:
The car was spotted at 8:30pm in Blair’s which is in Virginia near Danville (where the car was ultimate found). Both locations are 1.5 - 2 hours from Raleigh (I think).

At 8:30pm last night the car was spotted in Blairs parked at or near a stop sign with the lights off.

BBM:

Right, and then it was driven off from there to its final destination in Danville, apparently.

Parking a car near a stop sign out in the open on a roadway where it could be noticed by passersby/LE?

Nah. This just isn't adding up.

Has anyone seen or is there a link to the ad he purportedly placed on Craigslist?

JMO.

I thought I read today that Andy works for the Census part time but also buys and sells cars. If he’s been buying and selling cars for awhile, is it common for him to go on a test drive with potential buyers? Or have them go alone? I have not heard of sellers going along in the car with strangers. That sounds dangerous. Also, does he normally go by himself to meet a potential buyer? Hoping LE will find some evidence in the Range Rover. The abandoning of the Range Rover is not good. If Andy was driven to ATMs to get cash, the ATMs will have records and video of that. If Andy’s ATM card was used by someone else, after 1:42pm, there should also be a record of that. The financial institution or store can help. Where is his wallet and has their been any activity? It appears they didn’t want the phone (tossed it). Other businesses should have video. I would think LE will be able to see the Range Rover driving down the road in various locations. Praying for a good resolution here. Further away in CLT, but will keep my eye on this. Wish I could help. Sigh.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back