2020 Hurricane Season Starting Early, "High Activity" Expected This Year

Lots of rain in the Pensacola area. Voluntary evacuation orders issued. Barge hit a bridge so it's closed until after the storm when they can get an engineer in to inspect. I'm just sitting around knitting my granddaughter a blanket that matches the one that I made for her favorite baby doll. We shouldn't lose power since we have underground lines, but you never know. Hubby is mad because he wanted Mexican takeout last night but I'd already marinated a pork tenderloin so I told him he could have it tonight. He still thinks they'll be open and he'll go get it, but I'm thinking that frozen pizza will have to do. BTW, the Digourno with the croissant crust is totally worth it. ;)

Lots of rain in the Pensacola area. Voluntary evacuation orders issued. Barge hit a bridge so it's closed until after the storm when they can get an engineer in to inspect. I'm just sitting around knitting my granddaughter a blanket that matches the one that I made for her favorite baby doll. We shouldn't lose power since we have underground lines, but you never know. Hubby is mad because he wanted Mexican takeout last night but I'd already marinated a pork tenderloin so I told him he could have it tonight. He still thinks they'll be open and he'll go get it, but I'm thinking that frozen pizza will have to do. BTW, the Digourno with the croissant crust is totally worth it. ;)
Thanks for local update! Stay safe & dry. Will try that crust!

...HURRICANE CONDITIONS EXPECTED TO REACH PORTIONS OF THE
NORTH-CENTRAL GULF COAST LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY WEDNESDAY...
...HISTORIC LIFE-THREATENING FLOODING LIKELY ALONG PORTIONS
OF THE NORTHERN GULF COAST...

SUMMARY OF 1000 PM CDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...29.8N 87.8W
ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM SSE OF MOBILE ALABAMA
ABOUT 60 MI...95 KM SW OF PENSACOLA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 2 MPH...4 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...972 MB...28.71 INCHES

Hurricane Sally Public Advisory

Even the rain bands can just keep swirling around, bringing pounding rain. I was in a tropical storm in Florida years ago, it rained 30 inches in 3 days! And in Florida, there is no where for that water to go...

Just posted.

Tropical Tidbits

Sally has continued to strengthen as we pass midnight central time, and is now a Cat 2 hurricane with max winds of ~100 mph as it slowly approaches the coastlines of Alabama and northwest Florida. Extreme flooding is expected as torrential rain continues through the night. Stay safe.

My goodness. Prayers for everybody affected by Sally.

What is the deal with 2020 with all the problems?
I did not even realize we were getting another hurricane already hitting the U.S. shores.

I saw the news last night and saw some footage of the winds and by golly it looked almost as bad as some of the footage from the other one that recently hit near Louisana.

Prayers for all affected.

Sending prayers! Flooding is no joke
- signed, Hurricane Sandy victim

Hurricane Sally tracker: Makes landfall in Alabama; rain in Pensacola

Some other major developments:
  • Sally is forecast to head inland Wednesday night across southeastern Alabama before reaching Georgia on Thursday and the Carolinas on Friday.
  • Around 10 to 20 inches of rain could be dumped on parts of Alabama and Florida, with isolated pockets getting up to 35 inches.
  • Sally is the eighth named storm to make landfall in the continental U.S. this year — the most through Sept. 16 in recorded history.
  • More than 400,000 homes and businesses are without power, according to the utility tracker poweroutage.us.

...HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS SPREADING INLAND OVER SOUTHEASTERN ALABAMA AND THE WESTERN PORTION OF THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE... ...CATASTROPHIC AND LIFE-THREATENING FLOODING LIKELY ALONG PORTIONS OF THE NORTH-CENTRAL GULF COAST...
8:00 AM CDT Wed Sep 16
Moving: NNE at 3 mph
Min pressure: 970 mb
Max sustained: 90 mph

What’s really sad is, home owners insurance doesn’t cover flooding. Flood insurance is separate. Most people don’t buy it. There will be people inland who never, ever thought they’d be flooded.

Hurricane Sally slams into Alabama and Florida, and its crawling pace threatens catastrophic flooding
Hurricane Sally slams into Alabama and Florida, and its crawling pace threatens catastrophic flooding - CNN
Windstorm insurance is expensive. And if you make any changes to doors, windows, garage doors - they have to be inspected and windstorm certified.
Flood insurance was cheap in comparison- $425 each year.
A lot of people think they will never flood until it happens.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back