Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then, this is for you. Yesterday's 22 minute video update on the US.

ETA: Oops, you were talking about Seheult. I like Dr. Campbell as well!

Keep an eye on Wisconsin

View attachment 268181

And Idaho, South Dakota, Iowa, Nevada, Kansas and others such as Utah, Wyoming, Alabama, Indiana, Nebraska

View attachment 268182

View attachment 268184

All way above the "WHO recommendation of at or below 5% for two weeks before reopening measures"

View attachment 268183

Source for all above are screenshots from Dr. Campbell

Oh yeah... I like them both very much... different styles but both great.

18 members of Yale’s men’s ice hockey team test positive for COVID-19
Connecticut /more at link
CNN) — Eighteen members of Yale University’s men’s hockey team have been instructed to isolate after testing positive for coronavirus.

Collectively, the cluster raised the school’s Covid-19 alert status from green, which notes “lower risk” to yellow, which signals “low to moderate risk of viral transmission.”

On Tuesday, the university community was notified that six members of a varsity athletic team had tested positive for the virus. Over the past two days 12 additional positive cases have been detected, the Ivy League school confirmed to CNN.

“All other members of the men’s ice hockey team who are in the New Haven area, as well as the Athletics staff who have worked directly with them, have been instructed to quarantine and to participate in the university testing program, whether or not they have been identified as close contacts of infected team members,” Stephanie Spangler, Vice Provost for Health Affairs and Academic Integrity, said in a letter to the Yale community Thursday evening.

Spangler told students “rigorous” contact tracing efforts are underway to identify other individuals who may have been in close contact with the athletes, and said all varsity athletic teams and intramural programs would stop in-person activities for a week. The school’s hockey rink would also be closed for cleaning through Monday, Oct. 19.

Why ice hockey rinks may enable transmission
The announcement came one day after the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s weekly report suggested indoor sports games could turn into superspreader events.

In the report, Florida health department officials detailed an incident in which one player infected as many as 14 others at a single indoor ice hockey game last spring.

Rhode Island positivity rate, hospitalizations on the rise
RI more at link
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island’s coronavirus test positivity rate and the number of people in the hospital with COVID-19 are continuing to climb, according to state Department of Health data released Friday.

The 198 new positive cases were out of about 6,600 tests, a 3% positivity rate.

Maine Wedding COVID-19 Outbreak Investigation Still Not Closed
Maine wedding more at link
One of the focal points of the outbreak was the Big Moose Inn in Millinocket, and it spread to the York County Jail in Alfred, Maine officials have said. Those aspects of the investigation are now closed, said Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention director Dr. Nirav Shah.

The outbreak also spread to Maplecrest Rehabilitation and Living Center in Madison, Shah and other Maine officials have said. That facility, which was the site of six deaths from the virus, is continuing with testing, Shah said.

"They have also had stability," Shah said. "They still need to meet the requirements for closure."

Australian food banks report huge surge in demand during Covid pandemic

Casual workers and international students among ‘newly food insecure groups’, Foodbank report says.

“In 2019, 15% of Australians experiencing food insecurity were seeking food relief at least once a week,” the report said.

“In 2020, this has more than doubled to 31%. Although charities are seeing demand for food relief become more erratic and unpredictable, overall numbers are up by an average of 47%.”

The report found 39% of charities providing food bank services had seen an increase in demand among international students, who are barred from access to jobseeker or job keeper payments.

Guardian Australia has reported on how thousands of international students have turned to foodbanks to survive, with some research suggesting as many as one in six have relied on charity for emergency food relief.

So 16 were from the rally not 20 as misleading headline states.
Isn’t it curious that we never saw any positive cases among the protestors and rioters in late May and June? It almost seems.... unbelievable... that there were 4 positive cases among the protestors for this rally, yet none among the massive numbers of protestors, rioters, looters, and arsonists over the summer. Truly fascinating how that works.

Isn’t it curious that we never saw any positive cases among the protestors and rioters in late May and June? It almost seems.... unbelievable... that there were 4 positive cases among the protestors for this rally, yet none among the massive numbers of protestors, rioters, looters, and arsonists over the summer. Truly fascinating how that works.

Yes it is. TBH, in this example, why would you attend a rally to protest it and risk catching Covid anyway? Just don't go.

Extremely fascinatingo_O

The widely diverse response across the world to these outbreaks is so fascinating. An outbreak of 20 cases in China = immediate testing of an entire city of 10 million. An outbreak of 20 cases in the US = crickets.

I hope somebody does a study on the wildly disparate responses of different societies. I would love to know what exactly is behind that. jmo
Sununu puts indoor hockey, skating on ice for two weeks

I have a Minnesota grandson who is currently playing. Here are MN rules: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/sportsguide.pdf

“The governor’s decision received mixed reaction on social media.

“My kids are forced to stay home from school as a direct result. They don’t play hockey but a kiddo who did was on their bus... now we’re home schooling for 2 weeks,” Kristen Baker Milks posted on Facebook.

Nicole Sullivan said it was a shame.

“This just took away a small slice of normalcy for so many kids in this state. I am so sad for the kids and their programs who followed the rules. My son dresses in the parking lot or at home, wears a mask on and off ice, we fill out an info form every time anyone enters the rink, but here we are because a few people got greedy and couldn’t follow the rules,” Sullivan posted. “Shame on those people for robbing our children of a sport that they love. I truly hope this only lasts two weeks and our kids can return to the ice.”

Laura Condon of Bedford said the fear is overblown.

“Yet no one is actually sick. Enough with the hysteria. Let these youths get back to life and living,” she posted.”

Youth ice hockey leagues aren’t following state coronavirus guidelines

New York live update in 30 minutes at 11:30 eastern on COVID for those that live there or are interested. There has been a lot happening in the last two weeks in New York concerning COVID and new focus areas. "Gov. Andrew Cuomo to reveal New York’s strategy to fight COVID-19 this fall. "

(((ETA #2 : They are now going to target with increased mitigation BLOCK TO BLOCK on microclusters, not just state/city/zip code as they now have that information to drill down and target (as another country did at the outset and now does... he's mirroring best practices MOO) so that others aren't affected going forward. ))) He's doing this through increased and target testing, mitigation and enforcement.

FYI live presser in 30

ETA: As of 20 minutes after the hour (10 minutes to start) audio and video is now live with media setting up. ?What is this venue... tiny tiny!?

Last edited:
Thinking more about this... Protestors were outside and moving, while rally participants were seated next to other individuals for an extended time period. Some protestors did wear masks. Many at the rallies did not. If you look at the Bemidji rally photos, there are many, many maskless people. This may be the difference.

As I was drifting off to sleep last night I was thinking about this. Could it be that the US government is readying for these folks to get the shots under an EAU, and that this is being done this way so that each person doesn't have to apply for a shot(s) under EAU prior to FDA approval which may come 2 years from now? Instead of each nursing home tasked with applying for each patient, the US government would be giving proactively a broad sweep approval for anyone in their care under EAU? (see below "any assessment regarding an EUA will be made on a case-by-case basis considering the target population")

Dunno??????

That's what my mind went to as all of these places must be licensed by the states and they would have info of where they all were and be able to do logistics evaluations on numbers of doses etc. as these licenses and annual updates would have info on numbers living there.

@CharlestonGal, wouldn't this make sense as a reason they are coordinating with CVS/Walgreens? But.... that said, have clinical trials even been done with "elderly folks" to get the information on dosages/effectiveness for the elderly? Dunno

Anyhow, that was my thought as I drifted off last night with a very bad headache (allergies, taking my Zyrtec like a good person should have before I worked in the garden with all the fall mold etc yesterday afternoon).

FDA Issues Guidance on Emergency Use Authorization for COVID-19 Vaccin
"An EUA is a different standard than an approval, as noted in the June guidance".....
"This guidance reiterates that any assessment regarding an EUA will be made on a case-by-case basis considering the target population"....
"The FDA plans to convene an open session of its Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC) prior to issuance of any EUA for a COVID-19 vaccine to discuss the EUA request and whether the available safety and effectiveness data support the authorization. The VRBPAC is currently scheduled to meet on Oct. 22 to discuss the general development, authorization and/or licensure of COVID-19 vaccines. While this meeting is not intended to discuss any particular vaccine candidate, the agency is prepared to rapidly schedule additional future meetings of this committee after submission of any BLA or request for EUA to further ensure transparency."

Much more at link.

ETA:

Yes, key words 6 months to a year after approval (NOT EAU), and approval will follow the 2 years? MOO. Only EAU up until then vs. for the "mass distribution to the public"?

Expectations for the masses needs to be done soon MOO

Emergency Use Authorization-link with MUCH information
any assessment regarding an EUA will be made on a case-by-case basis considering the target population

When they say case-by-case basis they are talking about the product, not the patient. The company will have to apply for an EUA for use of their product. The EUA may be approved for use in adults, but not children or seniors, for example. Once the product has received approval for a population target, it can be given to that population.

I think you may be confusing EUA with Compassionate Use, which is approved on a patient-by-patient basis.

any assessment regarding an EUA will be made on a case-by-case basis considering the target population

When they say case-by-case basis they are talking about the product, not the patient. The company will have to apply for an EUA for use of their product. The EUA may be approved for use in adults, but not children or seniors, for example. Once the product has received approval for a population target, it can be given to that population.

I think you may be confusing EUA with Compassionate Use, which is approved on a patient-by-patient basis.

Ah, thanks as I'm ignorant to such. I'll look into such to educate myself. Great that so many can keep the rest of us straight.

Listening to Cuomo now, what he is saying sounds like he's focused on best practices going down to the micro cluster areas for mitigations.

There certainly were some in SoCal. But, with limited or no contact tracing in most places, it's hard to say how many.

The bad actors (not the protestors, but the looters) were mostly wearing face coverings, for obvious reasons. Many of the protestors were not, early on, and both protestors and LE reported a few cases of CV transmission in Los Angeles.

Of course, we didn't have much looting here in SoCal, as compared to past actions of civil disobedience (Rodney King trial).

Outdoor transmission, especially when people keep moving, seems to be about 5% of indoor transmission. Most of the cases of transmission among athletes are happening in the locker rooms, although surely the face-to-face breathing and body contact of football is playing a role there.

Timing is important too. For the West Coast, our positivity rates were still fairly low when our protests occurred, it will be different in various places.

These 10 states reported their highest number of new coronavirus cases on Friday
From CNN's Chuck Johnston

On Friday, at least ten states reported their highest coronavirus case totals since the pandemic began, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Here's a look at the states' cases, according to Johns Hopkins University:

• Colorado reported 1,312 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 1,142 cases on Thursday.
  • Idaho reported 1,094 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 729 cases on July 15.
  • Indiana reported 2,283 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 1,943 cases on Thursday.
  • Minnesota reported 2,290 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 1,516 on Oct. 10.
  • New Mexico reported 812 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 668 on Thursday.
  • North Carolina reported 2,684 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 2,532 on Thursday.
  • North Dakota reported 864 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 706 on Thursday.
  • West Virginia reported 502 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 374 on Oct. 9.
  • Wisconsin reported 3,861 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 3,747 on Thursday.
  • Wyoming reported 290 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 243 on Oct. 9.

These 10 states reported their highest number of new coronavirus cases on Friday
From CNN's Chuck Johnston

On Friday, at least ten states reported their highest coronavirus case totals since the pandemic began, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Here's a look at the states' cases, according to Johns Hopkins University:

• Colorado reported 1,312 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 1,142 cases on Thursday.
  • Idaho reported 1,094 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 729 cases on July 15.
  • Indiana reported 2,283 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 1,943 cases on Thursday.
  • Minnesota reported 2,290 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 1,516 on Oct. 10.
  • New Mexico reported 812 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 668 on Thursday.
  • North Carolina reported 2,684 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 2,532 on Thursday.
  • North Dakota reported 864 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 706 on Thursday.
  • West Virginia reported 502 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 374 on Oct. 9.
  • Wisconsin reported 3,861 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 3,747 on Thursday.
  • Wyoming reported 290 coronavirus cases. Its previous high was 243 on Oct. 9.
I want to look into literacy rates and compare to cases in individual states.

New Hampshire has the highest rate, California the lowest.

Us Literacy Rates by State 2020

Interesting. Minnesota is up there with the second highest literacy rate.

ETA: North Dakota is ranked third with Wisconsin ranked seventh in literacy.

Last edited:
Thinking more about this... Protestors were outside and moving, while rally participants were seated next to other individuals for an extended time period. Some protestors did wear masks. Many at the rallies did not. If you look at the Bemidji rally photos, there are many, many maskless people. This may be the difference.

From original post: Isn’t it curious that we never saw any positive cases among the protestors and rioters in late May and June? ... Truly fascinating how that works.

?? Very unclear, why this is coming up now.... we discussed this extensively when demonstrations were heaviest. I was at one demonstration, and would never consider NOT wearing a mask. Everyone I saw at the demonstration wore masks. Everyone.

It was a mask wearing issue.....EVEN for criminal looters!!!

In Buckley Park, you would have to look hard to find one BLM protester without a mask.

DeWine, Husted address large Trump rally and lack of masks

D.C. Police Charged Demonstrators With Wearing Masks Even Though Coronavirus Guidelines Require Them

Letters: Protesters should be wearing masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member