Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #48

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, if the neighbor hearing equipment noises at 11:30 was Saturday (assuming it was BM there), that places him near Salida at midnight and again near Salida at 4 am (assuming it's BM's truck that MG heard). Those are IMO key hours. Especially if he had access to someone else's Bobcat and someone else's vehicle.

If he was in multiple locations overnight, that reduces his radius considerably. He might be right about his 200 mile radius, once you include Broomfield. But I don't think he went far from midnight to 4.

He was also probably right that he wasn't in his right mind. Maybe multiple locations made sense in his addled brain. If he had coolers and a trailer load of dirt, which IMO he may have "borrowed" from the Salida jobsite (the dirt and the Bobcat both), he could have buried evidence in multiple locations around Salida, depositing the unused remainder of dirt in Broomfield.

If he already had an elk sawed and quartered (and coolered), the solution might've been very clear to him.

Hanging onto the antlers, bad idea.

In the end, murderers always trip themselves up.

I happen to think LE has a sealed envelope, ready to turn over tomorrow.

JMO
We've all seen the trailer the bobcat is loaded and pulled on, it's a flat deck. I'm confused about the dirt you mention. How would he haul any amount of dirt on that trailer without a substantial tarping effort? If he put dirt at the front of the trailer so he could unload the bobcat, the rails are short. The bobcat has to be pulled up over the front axle or the trailer would be unstable to pull.

jcxg4x5e2un51.jpg

I'm expecting the PE big 5 reveal to be disappointing. Hope I'm surprised.

I'm with you there. Disappointing or inscrutable is what I expect, but also happy to be surprised. This case has reinforced for me a preference for quality content over teasers/ deferred content, especially when the stakes are so high.

Maybe midwinter melts or spring churn will help to uncover new evidence. Or an infusion of motivated mushroom hunters.

That’s the big disadvantage of texts vs phone calls. In the old days you might hear a doorbell, you might hear voices, you might hear a yell or a name called. You might hear the phone drop, but you certainly wouldn’t hear a new voice come on the phone and attempt to continue the conversation.

All true... however, because we're all so used to this style of communication, it's super easy to recognize text convo patterns of the people we talk to/text with all the time. One of my kids uses emojis constantly, another sends me hilarious gifs almost every single day, another kid sends me a message and doesn't answer for a week, then she calls instead of texting back. Another kid always responds with "kk" and she's the only one that does that.

That, plus the language and wording each person uses is quite distinct. I don't believe for a moment, BM was able to pull off impersonating SM in a text/messaging convo with SM's best friend, as some have suggested. He would have used the wrong words, the wrong emojis, the wrong grammatical sentence structure - because that's as unique as the tone of our voice and body language when we're speaking. Her friend would have known immediately something was off, even if she couldn't have put her finger on what, exactly.

All entirely jmo, of course. :)

IMO (because I don't have time to look for a link) the neighbor the girls spoke with early on MD is the step mother of one of the daughter's friends. The lady was interviewed very early in the case.

MOO

"A woman identified as the stepmother of Morphew’s daughter’s best friend said that the homes in the remote central Colorado town are far apart. It remains unclear how long Morphew had been out of contact before the neighbor alerted Chaffee County authorities on May 10. The sheriff’s department launched an immediate search for Morphew on that day. “The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ‘we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?'” the friend’s stepmother said"

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

I don't think the M girls spoke to the step-mom of the friend that day.
This is the step-mom stating they called "neighbors", not that they called her.

Although LS has said, the first "neighbor" that they contacted that day is NOT the neighbor that called LE, so we still don't know who that neighbor was.

IMO, the PE guys don't know know anymore facts of this case than you or me. When I say facts, I mean what actually happened to SM to cause her disappearance. They are speculating just like all of us on WS. I'm confident in saying LE is not sharing any investigation facts with them. Again, IMO, it's all speculation.

"A woman identified as the stepmother of Morphew’s daughter’s best friend said that the homes in the remote central Colorado town are far apart. It remains unclear how long Morphew had been out of contact before the neighbor alerted Chaffee County authorities on May 10. The sheriff’s department launched an immediate search for Morphew on that day. “The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ‘we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?'” the friend’s stepmother said"

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

Although LS has said, the first "neighbor" that they contacted that day is NOT the neighbor that called LE, so we still don't know who that neighbor was.
IMO, the other neighbor was GD. Otherwise, how was he at the bike discovery location prior to Barry arriving?

Thank you @Ontario Mom :)

IMO, the other neighbor was GD. Otherwise, how was he at the bike discovery location prior to Barry arriving?

I tend to agree, but the neighbor has never been named.
I speculated early on that he was there because BM called him and asked him to head over there.
But then I have to wonder, if he could have called him to head over there after the fact, why didn't he call him in the first place to check on SM at the house, instead of calling the neighbor lady?

SO much of what we know in this case, doesn't make sense.

jmo

Ok, Folks, please fact check me.

The yellow tape at the house....

Friday night, per MG, BM worked at the Salida site, presumably with a Bobcat. We've seen one in photos, possibly belonging to the contractors.

Saturday morning, BM is out of sorts, insisting MG rake the beach area. With the Bobcat. Calls it a day early.

BM does an unspecified mechanical thing at an unspecified time at an unspecified location.

A neighbor to the Salida jobsite heard equipment at 11:30pm on MDW.

I propose that BM "borrowed" the Bobcat from the Salida jobsite. I propose his Bobcat never left PP. I propose BM used his trailer to haul the jobsite Bobcat and a load of shoddy dirt to Broomfield where he "moved some dirt around" on Mother's Day. I propose he used that Bobcat in multiple locations, some where dogs would later hit, throught the night and day of Mother's Day. I propose that the reason he DIDN'T leave A Bobcat in Broomfield was two fold -- one, he did not want his crew to dig or rake AND two, it wasn't HIS Bobcat AND IT WOULD BE MISSED ON MONDAY if it weren't back in place at the Salida jobsite.

I propose too that he may have trailered that Bobcat to a different vehicle at midnight until 4 am. Did MG have a company truck in her parking lot (that she drove to Broomfield later that day)???? And that he used overnight? Perhaps she only heard him after he'd unhitched the trailer and started his loud truck back up?

By 4am, I propose that he was back on the road. With his trailer, his dirt, and a Bobcat he didn't own. Did his thing in Broomfield, which I propose included moving some dirt around AND cleaning tools and coolers from the back of his truck.

I propose that, eventually he left Broomfield, stopped in Salida to unload a Bobcat, and returned to PP with an empty trailer, a dirty trailer, which he drove to PP and unloaded alongside the Bobcat that went nowhere that weekend.

Please someone find the photos of the yellow tape attached to the PP Bobcat and the photo of MG, driving.

Does this all fit?

JMO
This works for me -- for a week or two I've wondered if there was a second Bobcat and/or a second truck that he could have borrowed that night. I have only two problems with this scenario, though -- surely the cops would have search warrants for ALL vehicles that were 'work' vehicles, including ones parked at BM's employees' houses? And secondly, with the vast Colorado landscape, did he really, really need a Bobcat? I realize the terrain is rocky and hard to dig with a shovel, but it would be easier (to me) to use an older vehicle (no GPS), take the body 10 miles away, and hand dig. Or use an area he's previously scoped out. IMO.
Still, your scenario could be exactly what happened to poor SM.

I think he received a call from a "distraught" Barry, sprinkled liberally with information about SM's usual biking route. TN was also there per Andy, arrival time unknown. Barry's posse.

MOO

We've all seen the trailer the bobcat is loaded and pulled on, it's a flat deck. I'm confused about the dirt you mention. How would he haul any amount of dirt on that trailer without a substantial tarping effort? If he put dirt at the front of the trailer so he could unload the bobcat, the rails are short. The bobcat has to be pulled up over the front axle or the trailer would be unstable to pull.

jcxg4x5e2un51.jpg

I was picturing that the bulk of dirt carried would have been in the upturned bucket of the bobcat. I've never seen anyone transport equipment while carrying dirt in the bucket, though. But who knows what the actor might try.

Would the body of a smallish person fit in the bucket, maybe with just enough dirt piled over to make it look like dirt only?

I tend to agree, but the neighbor has never been named.
I speculated early on that he was there because BM called him and asked him to head over there.
But then I have to wonder, if he could have called him to head over there after the fact, why didn't he call him in the first place to check on SM at the house, instead of calling the neighbor lady?

SO much of what we know in this case, doesn't make sense.

jmo
More distancing on BM's part?

Neighbor more easily duped than the friend, especially if the house had a strong odor of bleach/chlorine?

MOO

I was picturing that the bulk of dirt carried would have been in the upturned bucket of the bobcat. I've never seen anyone transport equipment while carrying dirt in the bucket, though. But who knows what the actor might try.

Would the body of a smallish person fit in the bucket, maybe with just enough dirt piled over to make it look like dirt only?
I pictured the dirt as being in the truck bed, not on the trailer or in the Bobcat bucket.

jcxg4x5e2un51.jpg

Fair question. I only present ideas but admittedly my understanding of diggy thingies and pully thingies is sorely lacking. But it sure looks like dirt AND Bobcat tracks on the bed of that trailer.

Conversely, I see no mountain lion tracks.

And the only one COVERING HIS TRACKS didn't do a great job.

3 30 hours was IMO a snow job. That didn't go well. Because frankly I bet he was all over the place. Literally and physically.

JMO

Last edited:
All true... however, because we're all so used to this style of communication, it's super easy to recognize text convo patterns of the people we talk to/text with all the time. One of my kids uses emojis constantly, another sends me hilarious gifs almost every single day, another kid sends me a message and doesn't answer for a week, then she calls instead of texting back. Another kid always responds with "kk" and she's the only one that does that.

That, plus the language and wording each person uses is quite distinct. I don't believe for a moment, BM was able to pull off impersonating SM in a text/messaging convo with SM's best friend, as some have suggested. He would have used the wrong words, the wrong emojis, the wrong grammatical sentence structure - because that's as unique as the tone of our voice and body language when we're speaking. Her friend would have known immediately something was off, even if she couldn't have put her finger on what, exactly.

All entirely jmo, of course. :)
I agree, but I think he may have tried it. Maybe he picked up her phone after he did whatever he did to her and realized the bff was trying to reach her. He may have tried some monosyllabic replies. BFF probably caught on relatively quickly. She may have asked, “Are you all right? You sound off.” That may be when he stopped the conversation. Later that night he tried to make it appear like SM was still on FB by logging into her page and sending out those friend requests. If he logged into her page from his phone, that, in turn, could have lead to the PYMK messages that people he knew received.
Just another piece of the puzzle to hash around until we know what we didn’t know.

He drugged her/suffocated her while she slept. No blood. No struggle. He left an hour earlier than he told LE. 4:00 instead of 5:00 am. That’s the time he had to dispose of her in a prepared spot. One hour. Somewhere between their house and his first corroborated stop. The widest circle would be as the bird flies. I’d bet that’s a huge wilderness area.
I am just throwing this out here: Was the overwhelming smell of bleach ( if there was one) coming from sheets that were in the washing machine? That is if he killed her in her bed, and a big if , would BM think to wash the bedding? All speculation if he suffocated in her bed which we do not know at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member