Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
My UK family are in Kent. About 45 mins drive from the borough of Swale, where things are pretty bad (2nd highest rate in England).

They are okay. There are much loved grandchildren who are missed, but they are a pretty sensible lot.
I was just reading about Swale, strange how random places seem to spike.

Our Qantas CEO has just announced that no-one will be flying with them internationally (when we can fly internationally) unless they can prove that they have had a covid vaccine.

Source: Ch7 TV morning news

And I just heard from my niece (her family is in home quarantine due to our cluster - school related quarantine in their case). The Red Cross have been contacting them - and presumably every other quarantined family/person - to make sure everyone is okay while in quarantine. :)

Last edited:
Our Qantas CEO has just announced that no-one will be flying with them internationally (when we can fly internationally) unless they can prove that they have had a covid vaccine.

Source: Ch7 TV morning news

And I just heard from my niece (her family is in home quarantine due to our cluster - school related quarantine in their case). The Red Cross have been contacting them - and presumably every other quarantined family/person - to make sure everyone is okay while in quarantine. :)
I’ve been seeing estimates for the covid vaccine for the general public in this area - July/August.

That’s awesome that the cases are low enough for the Red Cross to be able to contact them and check on them!

Myself, I'm planning on only being able to get at next summer at the earliest after reading what I posted upthread.

In February, I planned on ok in summer
In July, I planned on ok in early 2021
Now.. only when I GET A VACCINE

I’m not planning on leaving my isolated nest until I get a vaccine either @dixiegirl1035...and even waiting a bit after that. As to which vaccine, I’m watching Dr Fauci and as I’ve joked many times “I’ll have what he’s having.” At 75 in January and my dh being 76, we figure they’ll get to us sometime in the spring, barring unforeseen problems which I expect. I’m happy to wait for all the front lines workers, medical and others, plus nursing homes and senior living facilities to get theirs first. We’ve been staying mostly at home since early March, so it won’t kill us to stay home longer...and it might kill us if we don’t!

"Covid-19 also complicated tracking down family members, who the Medical Examiner’s office said on several occasions couldn’t be found because they themselves had also died from the virus." :(

I just had a 'I can't believe this is real' moment reading that.

Me too @LadyL! It’s unreal and something we would normally expect in a less fortunate country, but not here. It’s distressing and depressing and disgusting and dystopian that we have come to this. Other than that, words fail me. :(:mad:

Here is the link to the BBC article linked in Dr. Ding's thread: Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine is highly effective

Excerpt:
Interim data suggests 70% protection, but the researchers say the figure may be as high as 90% by tweaking the dose.

The results will be seen as a triumph, but come after Pfizer and Moderna vaccines showed 95% protection.

However, the Oxford jab is far cheaper, and is easier to store and get to every corner of the world than the other two.

So the vaccine will play a significant role in tackling the pandemic, if it is approved for use by regulators.

It's a really good vaccine when given in two doses. And, like the other front-runners, even though it is not 100% effective, the people who took the vaccine but still got COVID had a mild to moderate cases.

As far as I can tell, for the 90% for whom it was completely effective, they neither got COVID nor transmitted it to others. For the 10% (Oxford Virus) or 5% (Moderna) who got COVID, they were actually infected and did transmit the virus. Which is why Fauci says a vaccine is not going to completely solve the problem.

For those of us who followed daily, I'm sure you will agree we learned so much from his daily conference and shared information here about COVID. And to this day still follow his pressers and how he's managing his state.....

Coronavirus News: NY Gov. Cuomo receives International Emmy Award for COVID leadership

"Last spring, when the virus was new and out of control, and the people of New York were frightened at its relentless spread. One man took it upon himself to use technology to spread reliable information and tell citizens what to do. Governor Cuomo's daily press conferences were a whole new dimension in public education. He informed, he demanded and he calmed people down. No one who saw it will easily forget it: The mountain, the boyfriend, the COVID test and the gradually declining numbers. People everywhere saw them. I have a friend who got up every morning in Abu Dhabi and watched the Governor's press conference of the day before on YouTube. I have many friends in California who admit that what they know, they know from Governor Cuomo and his explanations.

And as spring turned into summer this year, the people of New York went from fear of the unknown to increasing knowledge of what was known and a sense that somebody had a plan.

It is now my distinct pleasure to present the 2020 International Emmy Founders Award to Governor Andrew Cuomo, with a little help from some of my fellow New Yorkers."

haha! The boyfriend hehehehe.

ETA: Worth reading the transcript as to what some of the celebrities said at link MOO e.g. Ben Stiller: I was trying to think of something that I could say to you that would be funny, so I called your brother Chris, who could not understand why you're getting an Emmy since he's the one on television.

Found the YouTube - it has clips from some of his pressers within it. Good watch!

Last edited:
For those of us who followed daily, I'm sure you will agree we learned so much from his daily conference and shared information here about COVID. And to this day still follow his pressers and how he's managing his state.....

Coronavirus News: NY Gov. Cuomo receives International Emmy Award for COVID leadership

"Last spring, when the virus was new and out of control, and the people of New York were frightened at its relentless spread. One man took it upon himself to use technology to spread reliable information and tell citizens what to do. Governor Cuomo's daily press conferences were a whole new dimension in public education. He informed, he demanded and he calmed people down. No one who saw it will easily forget it: The mountain, the boyfriend, the COVID test and the gradually declining numbers. People everywhere saw them. I have a friend who got up every morning in Abu Dhabi and watched the Governor's press conference of the day before on YouTube. I have many friends in California who admit that what they know, they know from Governor Cuomo and his explanations.

And as spring turned into summer this year, the people of New York went from fear of the unknown to increasing knowledge of what was known and a sense that somebody had a plan.

It is now my distinct pleasure to present the 2020 International Emmy Founders Award to Governor Andrew Cuomo, with a little help from some of my fellow New Yorkers."

haha! The boyfriend hehehehe.

ETA: Worth reading the transcript as to what some of the celebrities said at link MOO
Gov. Cuomo's press conferences were a breath of sanity in a crazy spring, and I watched him faithfully for more than 100 days. I looked forward to it every morning, in fact. I admire this man immensely.

I believe my grandchildren, who live on Long Island, have benefited from his take-charge policy, in that they have been able to be safely back in school since the beginning of September, 5 days a week/ full time.

Job well done, Sir. And award is appropriate.
JMO

Gov. Cuomo's press conferences were a breath of sanity in a crazy spring, and I watched him faithfully for more than 100 days. I looked forward to it every morning, in fact. I admire this man immensely.

I believe my grandchildren, who live on Long Island, have benefited from his take-charge policy, in that they have been able to be safely back in school since the beginning of September, 5 days a week/ full time.

Job well done, Sir. And award is appropriate.
JMO

He is certainly a strong and calming leader in a time like this. Even from afar, I think his communication manner has been exceptional. He always explains in plain English (American :) ) ... highly understandable, tells it like it is, and is clear on what everyone must do.

I am absolutely livid. Public health officials and medical experts warned about this. But those at the top insisted that children were safe from contracting COVID-19 or transmitting the virus, despite the research which said otherwise.
They insisted schools stay open and in person (you can guess the true reason why).

And now we are at this point.

US coronanvirus: There was a 28% increase in child Covid-19 cases over the last two weeks, the American Academy of Pediatrics says - CNN

Over the last two weeks, there has been a 28% increase in child Covid-19 cases and children now account for more than 11% of all confirmed coronavirus cases in the US, according to the AAP.

I am absolutely livid. Public health officials and medical experts warned about this. But those at the top insisted that children were safe from contracting COVID-19 or transmitting the virus, despite the research which said otherwise.
They insisted schools stay open and in person (you can guess the true reason why).

And now we are at this point.

US coronanvirus: There was a 28% increase in child Covid-19 cases over the last two weeks, the American Academy of Pediatrics says - CNN

I think this pediatrician in KY fits better with the way of thinking of many of us. (KY has now closed its schools.)

Hawse says there is "no good option for schools."

"There are very few options that serve both a child's academic health and their social health and their physical health," she says. School lunch programs, after-school programs and special education services are examples of the benefits of in-person schooling that kids can't get online.

For parents, Hawse echoes what she has told her own children.

"We're not going to probably make great leaps and bounds academically this year, and that's got to be OK. We've got to give one another some grace. We are living through a pandemic."

More Kids Are Getting COVID-19, Kentucky Pediatrician Says

Last edited:
Seems there are a few people who don't like that Qantas plans to require covid vaccinations for people who travel on their international planes.

I wonder how they think people will freely internationally travel while this virus is still around? Covid tests are unlikely to be enough.

Much of the opposition was channelled via the online account of a British travel agency, Tradewinds Travel. After Mr Joyce’s statement, it said it would no longer sell tickets on any Qantas flights, even through code shares.

“There are far superior airlines with flights to Australia,” the company posted.
“We will apply the same criteria across the board for all airlines.”
Qantas boss' push for 'no jab, no fly' rule sparks backlash

Last edited:
Mom Who Says Masks Are Child Abuse Throws Kid 250-Person Homecoming Party — The Daily Beast

“In any other year, a glittering homecoming dance in McDonough, Georgia, wouldn’t be controversial.

But during the raging coronavirus pandemic, from which at least 257,072 Americans have died, Ola High School had no plans to host a mass gathering of singing and sweating teenagers. So parents in the town about 35 miles south of Atlanta did it themselves, with few precautions, on Nov. 14.”

“Now, according to the students interviewed by The Daily Beast on Monday, others at neighboring schools have reached out to see how they can throw similar parties in the coming weeks, which they called “winter balls.”

“We all deserved a dance,” said one of the seniors interviewed by The Daily Beast. “We’ve been trying to help them.”

We all deserved to live through a pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie