Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people with type 1 diabetes, CDC Covid guidelines are puzzling - STAT

“I understand that the evidence is overwhelming for type 2. There’s no denying that, but I’m not really sure why it’s being treated in two different categories because the outcome is the same or even worse,” she said. “Why exclude it?”

It’s not clear when a vaccine will be available to her.

“Maybe they’ll have it at CVS in a month or two and I’ll go in and they’ll say, ‘Do you have any comorbidities?’ and I’ll say, ‘Diabetes.’ I really hope the question isn’t posed, ‘Which kind?’”

We certainly were kept updated by CNN each and every time Trump wasn’t masked in public. Now, it’ll be Fox making sure the public knows every time Biden isn’t masked.

Ummm....it was more like the opposite. It was Breaking News on CNN whenever he WAS wearing a mask.

I think there were maybe 3 occasions in the past year where he actually wore a mask. In fact, I bet Biden has worn a mask more in the last 30 hours, than * wore one in the last year.

Eric Feigl-Ding@DrEricDing
·
9m
Biden signs first executive actions as president, including mandating masks on federal property. Public health science finally coming to the White House and the country again. #COVID19

Biden signs first executive actions as president, including mandating masks on federal property
I see people flipping out about this on social media. Yet we completely accept that we haven't been allowed to smoke in federal buildings for over 20 years. It's not tyranny, but they act like it is. We can't blow smoke or covid in other people's faces!

I see people flipping out about this on social media. Yet we completely accept that we haven't been allowed to smoke in federal buildings for over 20 years. It's not tyranny, but they act like it is. We can't blow smoke or covid in other people's faces!

It takes a certain kind of person to not be able to see the sense in wearing a mask when covid is as rampant as it is in the US.

The choice will hopefully be taken right out of their hands (by the govt, by corporate America, by small business owners, by schools) and they can cry about it as much as they like.

We have seen this behaviour in the Australian Open incomers who have been whinging and whining about mandatory quarantine here ... (even though they signed up for it). Entitled prats is what we think. As if they have the right to spread covid around.

IMO

It takes a certain kind of person to not be able to see the sense in wearing a mask when covid is as rampant as it is in the US.

The choice will hopefully be taken right out of their hands and they can cry about it as much as they like.

We have seen this behaviour in the Australian Open incomers who have been whinging and whining about mandatory quarantine here ... (even though they signed up for it). Entitled prats is what we think. As if they have the right to spread covid around.

IMO
A woman came into the library today with just a plastic shield. I told her she had to put a mask on. A shield alone isn't going to protect her, or me from her. Our signs very clearly state that a mask is required. So far, no one has come in with a respirator mask, but if they do, I'm giving them a surgical mask to put over it.

Fauci says vaccinations will help coronavirus variants from emerging
More at link
COVID-19 vaccinations will not only help stop the virus from spreading, they will also hamper the coronavirus' ability to mutate into new variants, Dr. Anthony Fauci said on Thursday.

"Viruses don't mutate unless they replicate," Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said at a news briefing at the White House, his first under the administration of President Joe Biden.

"And if you can suppress that by a very good vaccine campaign, then you could actually avoid this deleterious effect that you might get from the mutations," Fauci said.

p.41-43:
Create as many venues as needed for people to be vaccinated. The federal government — in partnership with state and local communities — will create as many venues for vaccination as needed in communities and settings that people trust. This includes, but is not limited to federally supported community vaccination centers, in places like stadiums and conference centers, bringing resources to state and locally operated vaccination sites in all 50 states and 14 territories, pharmacies and retail stores, federal facilities like VA hospitals, community health centers, rural health clinics, critical access hospitals, physician offices, health systems, and mobile and on-site occupational clinics. Establish new, federally supported community vaccination centers across the country. Knowing that not all states and jurisdictions may have the resources to scale vaccination at the pace this crisis demands, the National COVID-19 Response Team will utilize federal resources and emergency contracting authorities to launch new vaccination sites in support of state and local efforts 42|to best meet local needs. The Department of Defense (DOD) will bring its logistical expertise and staff to bear, with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) managing set-up and operations. These sites will mobilize thousands of clinical and non-clinical staff and contractors—including federal medics, Department of Agriculture (USDA) staff, Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) staff, and Public Health Service Commissioned Corps officers and DOD personnel—who will work hand-in-glove with the National Guard and state, territorial, Tribal, and local teams. These efforts will help us reach underserved communities and those that have been hit the hardest by this pandemic. By the end of February, there will be 100 federally-supported centers across the nation. Bolster support for state- and local-run community vaccination clinics. State and local public health departments will play a critical role in this vaccination effort — particularly in reaching the hardest-to-reach communities. The federal government will offer in-kind support and technical assistance for state-, local- and community-run vaccination clinics, including support for the construction and management of local sites, management of cold-chain storage and transportation, and procurement of personal protective equipment and ancillary vaccination supplies. The federal government will also provide capital assets, such as land and buildings, for state use in community vaccination efforts and assistance sourcing, procuring, stockpiling, and shipping supplies directly to sites. It will additionally provide clinical and non-clinical staff needed to support or staff community vaccination centers, including through the Army and Navy Medical Corps and work with state and local programs to support the Medical Reserve Corps. To support and advance state, local and community based efforts, HHS will release toolkits and guidance for operating and scaling different types of community vaccination centers—adaptable across various settings, from standard health clinics, to community-based sites like churches, to existing COVID-19 drive-through testing sites, to mobile clinics. Leverage storefronts, including retail locations, grocers and pharmacies. Millions of Americans turn to their local pharmacies every day for their medicines, flu shots, and much more. And nearly 90 percent of Americans live within five miles of a pharmacy, making these among the most accessible vaccination locations. The Administration will move quickly to jumpstart the effort to work directly with chain and independent pharmacies 43|across the country to get Americans vaccinated. The program will begin within two weeks of President Biden assuming office, and expand moving forward into neighborhoods across the country so that the public can make an appointment and get their shot at their local retail and pharmacy locations.Launch mobile vaccination clinics and work with rural providers.The Administration will deploy mobile clinics to meet communities where they are, and also to offer vaccines in the most hard-to-reach communities, working with local providers, including primary care providers, to ensure that they have the resources they need to help get vaccines to the communities they serve. Through HHS agencies including the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), CMS and CDC, and the Department of Veterans Affairs, the federal government will launch targeted programs to engage community health centers, rural health clinics and critical access hospitals to ensure that we can meet the needs of rural communities.Launch new partnership with Federally Qualified Health Centers nationwide. Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) serve more than 30 million patients each year—one in 11 people nationwide. Many are people of color and individuals struggling to make ends meet. Given the critical role that these providers play in their communities, the federal government, through HRSA and CDC, will launch a new program to ensure that FQHCs can directly access vaccine supply where needed. At the same time, the Administration will encourage jurisdictions to engage health centers closely in their overall jurisdictional plans. And to ensure that health centers have the resources they need to successfully launch vaccination programs, HRSA will launch a new program to provide guidance, technical assistance and other resources to prepare and engage these providers nationwide.

(we can get drive through food, why not vaccines? sounds as if they anticipate making it easy and free to get vaccinated.... hope this works because my local news has stories about elderly people who cannot sign up on internet sites- seriously, if you cannot see well or drive(!), why make this tough? Sounds like it should be easy.... hope it rolls out well.)

Why shouldn't doctor's offices be utilized to administer the vaccine?

Definitely a clear sign of new priorities regarding COVID:

Testing wristbands, masks signs of a new boss at White House

Indeed, Biden's new federal mask mandate executive order requires that federal employees, contractors and others in federal buildings and on federal lands wear masks and adhere to social distancing requirements. The executive order allows for agency heads to make “case-by-case exceptions" — like, for instance, Psaki's. She wears one until she steps up to the podium for briefings.

Officials in close contact with Biden wear wristbands to signify they have been tested that day. Every event with the president is carefully choreographed to maintain distancing, with strips of paper taped to the carpet to show the likes of Vice President Kamala Harris and Dr. Anthony Fauci where to stand when Biden is delivering an address.

It's reassuring to see that this admin, at least, takes the threat of transmission of a deadly virus absolutely seriously.

@albamonica

@CDCDirector Rochelle Walensky tells @SavannahGuthrie
she doesn't think there will be COVID vaccine in every pharmacy by late February, as former HHS Sec. Azar had predicted on @TODAYshow
last month. She vowed to tell Americans the truth about realistic distribution goals.

Dr. Fauci will be at today's White House press briefing. He also had an 4am EST teleconference with the WHO that we just rejoined.
https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1352236636080398336?s=20

Iirc from Dr. Osterholm’s podcast, she is the new CDC Director. Dr. O spoke very highly of her.

eta / Dec. 8, 2020:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/12/07/cdc-director-rochelle-walensky/

‘Worse Than We Imagined’: Team Trump Left Biden a COVID Nightmare

Trump left behind a Covid 19 nightmare
It is much worse than they imagined.

Ha, yeah I don’t even need to look to imagine just how bad it is. It was already bad enough following it in real time.

I take so much comfort knowing this the new administration’s main priority. What a concept, actually giving a hoot, and not exacerbating it, ETC.

Biden restores ties with the World Health Organization that were cut by Trump.

Woohooooooooo!!!!! THANK GOD!!!!

And Biden did this on day 1, just as he promised he would. A man of his word so far, loving it. I’m sure the team at WHO including Doc T, Dr. Mike and Dr. Maria are beyond ecstatic and relieved. I know I am. This was one the first and earliest “beyond HUGE mistakes“ by DT in this pandemic, imo, and I am delighted to see us back on track.

Last edited:

Dr. Anthony Fauci seemed to contradict reports that the Trump administration had no plan for widespread Covid-19 vaccine rollout, telling reporters in the briefing room, “we’re certainly not starting from scratch, because there is activity going on in the distribution.”

He touted plans for community vaccine centers, pharmacy buy-in, and targeted use of the Defense Production Act, adding, “it's taking what's going on, but amplifying it in a big way.”

“No, I mean we’re coming in with fresh ideas, but also some ideas with the, with the previous administration, you can’t say it was absolutely not usable at all. So, we are continuing but you're going to see a real ramping up of it.”

Fauci disputes reports vaccine distribution efforts have to start "from scratch"

(Note that the previous words about an unworkable previous plan were from 'a source')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stupot77