TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading about Jason and it's such a sad, curious case.

I use Waze often and mine is set to 'Access GPS only when app is in use,' so maybe Jason used that setting too. Maybe he no longer needed Waze, after he arrived at the intersection in Luling. His parent's didn't know he was coming. Maybe that intersection was his destination that night? Did Jason open Snapchat while he waiting for someone? Is Snapchat even related? I know you have discussed all of this before but things went bad for Jason soon after that intersection in Luling. Why?

It would be interesting to see the Waze input around Luling that night because Waze people send alerts to the app, including the presence of police in the area. Did Jason decide to go straight on E. Austin St to Spruce Ave and then Salt Flat Road, trying to avoid the police on S. Magnolia or E. Pierce for some reason? Then why turn off Waze and the alerts? We just don't have enough information.

Maybe in time, law enforcement will share more with the public. Do we know how Jason was doing in college? His professors and other students might know something. Freshman year can be tough for some and the parents don't always know right away.

Where are you Jason?

I've been reading about Jason and it's such a sad, curious case.

I use Waze often and mine is set to 'Access GPS only when app is in use,' so maybe Jason used that setting too. Maybe he no longer needed Waze, after he arrived at the intersection in Luling. His parent's didn't know he was coming. Maybe that intersection was his destination that night? Did Jason open Snapchat while he waiting for someone? Is Snapchat even related? I know you have discussed all of this before but things went bad for Jason soon after that intersection in Luling. Why?

It would be interesting to see the Waze input around Luling that night because Waze people send alerts to the app, including the presence of police in the area. Did Jason decide to go straight on E. Austin St to Spruce Ave and then Salt Flat Road, trying to avoid the police on S. Magnolia or E. Pierce for some reason? Then why turn off Waze and the alerts? We just don't have enough information.

Maybe in time, law enforcement will share more with the public. Do we know how Jason was doing in college? His professors and other students might know something. Freshman year can be tough for some and the parents don't always know right away.

Where are you Jason?

This is interesting. Not how I pictured it. The houses don’t seem to be that far away from the accident. Two things stood out to me:

1. He had to pass through two stop signs between the traffic light intersection and the crash site.

2. The actual crash site is in the middle of a stretch of non-winding road.

This is one of those exceptions. As this video was already being discussed, we are going to allow it to give members an idea of the area and the route that Jason would have taken. A member has vouched that this individual who produced it is local, and it's not as if investigative facts of the case are being misconstrued.

This is interesting. Not how I pictured it. The houses don’t seem to be that far away from the accident. Two things stood out to me:

1. He had to pass through two stop signs between the traffic light intersection and the crash site.

What I'd like to see is for the same person to film that route in the middle of the night, during a new moon as was on 12/14/20, so we can see what it looked like as Jason saw it, and hear the comments being made like "Holy, moly it's DARK out here!!!!'. I'd love to get someone's take on that route as it would have appeared to him. With no city light and a new moon..? It was DARK.

New Moon December 14, 2020.

What a new moon looks like per Wiki: (Mod snip 'like per Wiki' if we're not allowed to refer to 'Wiki')
upload_2021-2-19_14-20-44.jpeg

Last edited:
A brave and generous driver recently uploaded (2/10/21) Jason's 12-minute route from the stoplight intersection (E. Austin/Magnolia Ave) to the crash site.
From the re-creation, it takes about 2 mins to reach County Rd that soon becomes SFR, and the cemetery located at about 2:40 min. mark.

After 2 minutes -- one can't help wondering if JL had a destination -- otherwise, no obvious reason to be driving aimlessly in this desolate, oil patch. MOO

To view, search "Jason Landry route" (Ytube).
Thanks for pointing that video out.

One thing that stood out to me is the left turn around 1:10. If I had accidentally turned off my navigation app, that's the moment I would realize it was off.

I'd definitely expect to get "turn left" or "turn right" directions at an almost T like that. In my mind that was a more gradual turn than it looks like on the video.

Thanks for pointing that video out.

One thing that stood out to me is the left turn around 1:10. If I had accidentally turned off my navigation app, that's the moment I would realize it was off.

I'd definitely expect to get "turn left" or "turn right" directions at an almost T like that. In my mind that was a more gradual turn than it looks like on the video.
It's also the first stop sign after the intersection where I'd expect to regroup. In other words, he drove a good 3 long blocks before stopping and heading left.

I watched the video and that was like the road to nowhere. He had to be lost because there's nothing out there to be a legitimate destination. The leftish turn and the stop signs should have prompted him to turn around. The only thing I can think is that being impaired would distort your sense of time. He could've not realized how far he'd actually driven. I suspect he was driving much slower than the driver in the video. MOO

What I'd like to see is for the same person to film that route in the middle of the night, during a new moon as was on 12/14/20, so we can see what it looked like as Jason saw it, and hear the comments being made like "Holy, moly it's DARK out here!!!!'. I'd love to get someone's take on that route as it would have appeared to him. With no city light and a new moon..? It was DARK.

New Moon December 14, 2020.

What a new moon looks like per Wiki: (Mod snip 'like per Wiki' if we're not allowed to refer to 'Wiki')
View attachment 285076
Yes! I was thinking the same thing. I’m also curious how the road is coming into Luling, before entering the city. Is it similar to after the intersection? I’m glad this person filmed the drive. It puts some things into perspective.

This video made me really sad.... knowing that was Jason's route....

It also raises about a thousand new questions for me.

It had to be really, really dark.... how was he able to stay on that road as long as he did???? So desolate, but so many decisions. Starting with the T intersection, then stop signs.... curves... farms.... places to stop. Places to pull in and consult his phone...

Why was he out there? That far out there? Where did HE think he was going?

I saw other roads.... if he had walked along the road, he may have followed an offshoot, taking him away from the searched area. What if he walked for hours?

If he had some sort of reaction to a hallucinogen, how did he manage to get where he got?

My heart is heavier, for having watched that video.... the route, the soundtrack, the reality of it...

I hope LE is successful getting all the warrants they need in order to determine better what happened that night.

He needs to be found.

JMO

Yes! I was thinking the same thing. I’m also curious how the road is coming into Luling, before entering the city. Is it similar to after the intersection? I’m glad this person filmed the drive. It puts some things into perspective.

The road coming into town is very non-descript.

E. Austin is actually the same as Tx-80 (San Marcos Hwy) except they switch to a "street name" in the town limits.

There's no "off-ramp." JL was still on the San Marcos Hwy when he approached the traffic light/intersection of Tx 80 & Tx-183 (i.e., E. Austin/Magnolia Ave).

You can drive the google car in reverse (flip the arrow) from the intersection and get a fairly good idea of the area coming into town (San Marcos Hwy /Tx-80).

Google Maps

This makes me think he may not have been driving his car. If we consider that he met foul play in Luling it would explain why he was way out there. Maybe there's some video showing he wasn't alone. MOO

I totally agree. It's as if 5 miles down a very dark and nearly deserted road was was the perfect place to ditch a car in the mind of a perp. Which might be why the dog tracking 'abruptly ended'. The perp was picked up in an accomplices car.

I know, all far-fetched, but this IS a weird world we're living in. Odder things have happened.

I watched the video and that was like the road to nowhere. He had to be lost because there's nothing out there to be a legitimate destination. The leftish turn and the stop signs should have prompted him to turn around. The only thing I can think is that being impaired would distort your sense of time. He could've not realized how far he'd actually driven. I suspect he was driving much slower than the driver in the video. MOO
What if he wasn’t driving? Or what if he was but following someone?

Wasn’t he seen alone shortly before, on video or am I wrong? Was it just a photo he took?

Watching that YouTube video makes me think of every time I've been in a car, clearly on a wrong road that's getting more rural looking as time goes on, and someone saying "if you just keep following it, it will probably wind back onto the highway again" (or similar). I'm a non-driver, so in these discussions, I'm always recounting situations where I have been a passenger in a car with others, but that scenario probably happened more than a dozen times in my life. I think that for many drivers, after taking a wrong turn and sticking to it for too long, it feels preferable to try and make that stretch of driving still pay off by finding some other way back onto the correct course from there... before admitting defeat by turning around and going back the way they came. The hope would be that they were at least driving "sort of" the right way. And furthermore, from my experience, drivers who deal with a wrong turn in that manner, don't really get all that ticked off about having gone the wrong way until after keeping on going in the hopes of getting back on track fails, and they really do have to do an about face (then they're not happy). Of course, this would all happen a lot less now among those who use navigation apps while driving, which Jason did.

Watching that YouTube video makes me think of every time I've been in a car, clearly on a wrong road that's getting more rural looking as time goes on, and someone saying "if you just keep following it, it will probably wind back onto the highway again" (or similar). I'm a non-driver, so in these discussions, I'm always recounting situations where I have been a passenger in a car with others, but that scenario probably happened more than a dozen times in my life. I think that for many drivers, after taking a wrong turn and sticking to it for too long, it feels preferable to try and make that stretch of driving still pay off by finding some other way back onto the correct course from there... before admitting defeat by turning around and going back the way they came.

Great post...I can totally relate.

Why would he be driving in a way that would end in a spin and crash, if he was lost, I wonder...was he not looking at road, reaching for something, maybe his phone if he had dropped it already? Still, you would think he would be going pretty slow if he was confused as to where he was. Jmo

Why would he be driving in a way that would end in a spin and crash, if he was lost, I wonder...was he not looking at road, reaching for something, maybe his phone if he had dropped it already? Still, you would think he would be going pretty slow if he was confused as to where he was. Jmo
Or driving erratically if he thought someone was after him or other perceived threat/terror.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member