Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not good at linking, but from the Yahoo (thanks anneg) article:

A surgeon who handled the donor lungs was also infected with the virus and fell ill but later recovered.

Doctor or lung is the source?
My guess is they’ve done appropriate investigations into which came first. IMO, there’s a reason they suspected the lungs were the source.

From the article:
“Suspicious about the origin of the infection, doctors returned to samples from the transplant donor. A molecular test of a swab from the donor’s nose and throat, taken 48 hours after her lungs were procured, had been negative for SARS-Cov-2. The donor’s family told doctors she had no history of recent travel or Covid-19 symptoms and no known exposure to anyone with the disease.

But doctors had kept a sample of fluid washed from deep within the donor lungs. When they tested that fluid, it was positive for the virus. Four days after the transplant, the surgeon who handled the donor lungs and performed the surgery tested positive, too. Genetic screening revealed that the transplant recipient and the surgeon had been infected by the donor. Ten other members of the transplant team tested negative for the virus.”

Half million dead just hurts my heart. I don’t think I can process it. I’m tired of feeling angry about the deliberate criminal neglect that is responsible for so many of these unnecessary deaths. It drains me to think about. But I don’t want to become numb to the heartbreak or anger. We must not forget these half million out of respect to their memory and empathy for their families. President Biden’s words to them were so heartfelt and real. He knows how it feels. I’m so sad that it has come to this and that there will be more. :(

GoF testing ... ?

Sorry. That just means "gain of function." The Obama Administration banned funding for it (in the US) in 2014, but Fauci was instrumental in getting American funding to pay to continue the testing at the Wuhan lab in China. Dozens of doctors and researchers petitioned Obama to stop the practice because it's just too dangerous--it creates viruses that are stronger, deadlier, and more difficult to protect against. Those doing it defend it by saying --someone's going to do it so it should be us.

I'm not a fan of that. I think we can ban it internationally. I mean, we might see an occasional infraction, but I think we could take the same position we take on human cloning -- we simply forbid it.

Anyway, Fauci supports GoF so that doesn't sit well with me.

I believe that Dr Fauci was gagged by someone else who discouraged people from wearing masks.
And I live internationally, and the countries I know were not advised to wear masks until late in the year with sporadic outbreaks. Asians wear masks outside of flu. They wear them just as much for pollution as viruses.

Fauci might have been encouraged not to advise mask-wearing, I will consider that, but he was still wrong when he made those comments because he also said the effects of Covid would be "minuscule" in the United States, and he took that opportunity to say how the flu season was the real problem.

That doesn't give me much confidence in the man, but I guess we all see things differently.

Here in the US, we've had so many so-called leaders telling us diametrically opposed things. It's virtually impossible to ferret out the truth for the average American because everyone has a different story.

The good thing is -- we can learn from our mistakes and hopefully prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

Half million dead just hurts my heart. I don’t think I can process it. I’m tired of feeling angry about the deliberate criminal neglect that is responsible for so many of these unnecessary deaths. It drains me to think about. But I don’t want to become numb to the heartbreak or anger. We must not forget these half million out of respect to their memory and empathy for their families. President Biden’s words to them were so heartfelt and real. He knows how it feels. I’m so sad that it has come to this and that there will be more. :(

I think this is key. It truly is draining to think about but we have so far left to go -- we just need to keep focusing a while longer. Four people I know have died now, one family and three acquaintances. Only one had what you could call "comorbidities." I hear about people trying to jump in line to get the vaccine and I don't blame them--not really--they're desperate and desperate people do desperate things.

As a world, we handled this poorly, but to be fair, we had no clue at the outset that it would be so bad. I just hope we've learned our collective lessons and that we will take steps to reduce the risk of this ever happening again.

I used to think humanity would end in a nuclear war. I don't think that anymore. Now, I think it will end--or be greatly impacted--by biowarfare in the form of a virus.

Sorry. That just means "gain of function." The Obama Administration banned funding for it (in the US) in 2014, but Fauci was instrumental in getting American funding to pay to continue the testing at the Wuhan lab in China. Dozens of doctors and researchers petitioned Obama to stop the practice because it's just too dangerous--it creates viruses that are stronger, deadlier, and more difficult to protect against. Those doing it defend it by saying --someone's going to do it so it should be us.

I'm not a fan of that. I think we can ban it internationally. I mean, we might see an occasional infraction, but I think we could take the same position we take on human cloning -- we simply forbid it.

Anyway, Fauci supports GoF so that doesn't sit well with me.

Wow.....You really brought up something we should know......Scary. What if it is because of this GoF that we have this type of virus running amuck now?

What is Gain-of-Function Research & Who is at High Risk? - Alliance for Human Research Protection.

Government officials and the recipients of government grants and contracts for “gain-of-function” research argue that these experiments are critical for understanding the subtle changes that can make a bird virus a pandemic threat.

Anthony Fauci, MD

Dr. Anthony Fauci, who has headed the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) since 1984, has played a major role in promoting and funding gain-of-function research, both in the US and China. Newsweek reported: “He argued that the research was worth the risk it entailed because it enables scientists to make preparations [ ] that could be useful if and when a pandemic occurred.
  • Those claims are belied by the empirical evidence
  • GoF experiments have neither prevented a pandemic, nor provided useful information about safe and effective pandemic countermeasures. Numerous prominent scientists argue that these experiments deviate from morally justifiable research, and the experimentally altered pathogens have put the entire human species at risk.

Fauci might have been encouraged not to advise mask-wearing, I will consider that, but he was still wrong when he made those comments because he also said the effects of Covid would be "minuscule" in the United States, and he took that opportunity to say how the flu season was the real problem.

That doesn't give me much confidence in the man, but I guess we all see things differently.

Here in the US, we've had so many so-called leaders telling us diametrically opposed things. It's virtually impossible to ferret out the truth for the average American because everyone has a different story.

The good thing is -- we can learn from our mistakes and hopefully prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

Here is an article you might find interesting: Fauci did qualify his remarks by stating the situation could change-- remember this was a brand new virus---- I respect Dr. Fauci but I do have some reservations about how he and others handled the virus early on, including the surgeon general who told people not to wear masks. The president however, was IMO the worst perpetrator of false statements about the virus including that it was going to go away---he knew better- he told Bob Woodward he knew it was deadly but he did not tell that to the American people.

I know I don't have a lot of faith in him, but that's mainly because he lied about mask-wearing at the start. I get it that medical personnel needed masks and supply was so short, but I'm not a fan of lying for any reason. I think he could have encouraged us to make cloth masks back then rather than telling us we didn't need them. That still bothers me. Plus, it bothers me that he backed sending funding to China for "gain of function" virus testing after the Obama Administration banned funding it here. So, now when he tells us we might be wearing masks in 2022, I have to wonder about his truthfulness---again.

We're seeing other professional opinions with sunnier predictions, such as the one from Johns Hopkins:
Johns Hopkins doctor thinks COVID will be largely gone by April, half of U.S. has herd immunity

Or, this one:
'We could be approaching herd immunity': Epidemiologist on coronavirus pandemic

This was the overriding opinion of the Medical community about masks. It wasn't just Fauci, and certainly not a lie. The Medical community did take a bit of time to turn this around, because that was ALWAYS the standard around wearing or not wearing masks...IN US HOSPITALS and other medical settings? =

Last edited:
I believe that Dr Fauci was gagged by someone else who discouraged people from wearing masks.
And I live internationally, and the countries I know were not advised to wear masks until late in the year with sporadic outbreaks. Asians wear masks outside of flu. They wear them just as much for pollution as viruses.

Right. Mask wearing has totally different standards internationally. Asian countries have promoted and produce masks for many different reasons. And is probably, the people themselves were knowledgeable enough to know to put on their masks immediately. I know people who have worked in Asian countries for years, and when they move to another--they always get the right masks, whether they use them or not.

Kindof pisses me off that so so many American deniers keep coming back to the short moment in time masks sounded a bit confusing.
Like, "lets just find a fall guy so we can do whatever we want"..... duhhhhh.

Just open your own eyes, and become knowledgeable... just Think of how much better off we would be if people didn't waste their time looking for a scapegoat rather than following international common sense.

Last edited:
Get Access

First proven case of Covid spread from organ donor to patient.

This puzzles me as to how this could have occurred, especially at the University of Michigan Hospital: In a Covid environment, wouldn't these esteemed physicians
consider this could have happened. The patient died. This was a lung transplant.

dbm... already covered...

Last edited:
Not good at linking, but from the Yahoo (thanks anneg) article:

A surgeon who handled the donor lungs was also infected with the virus and fell ill but later recovered.

Doctor or lung is the source?

Isn't there still a question of where the immature covid cell resided first.... ??

Last edited:
Does anyone else get apalled when they read posts like this from Facebook? First thing this morning I see this. I just don't know if we will ever get out of this pandemic. This is exactly how the varients get spread all over.

Traveling to Miami for best friends 40th. Having a hard time finding the right gift since I don't want to carry alot with me on the plane. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Eu6o6XKWQAAXQOg

candles.JPG

'Find purpose': Biden marks 500,000 Covid-19 deaths with poignant address to the nation

MassHealth employee reportedly fired for Facebook posts comparing mask enforcement to Nazi Germany
More at link
A former MassHealth employee reportedly compared enforcement of mask requirements to Nazi Germany and anyone who had a problem with he comments should “report me.”
Someone did and she no longer has a job.

Denise Foley, 60, is no longer MassHeath’s director of internal and external training and communication following a series of comments in a private Milton Facebook group, according to the Boston Herald.

The newspaper reported the comments started on Dec. 3 when within the group of about 12,000 members, a discussion began about a mailer neighbors received about turning in neighbors who aren’t wearing masks.

Foley, the report said, responded to the post, “Sounds like what the Nazis did in Germany.” The report said Foley followed up the comment with another that said, “How dare anyone try to take away my rights! I have the right NOT to wear a mask if I don’t want to. I have the right to gather with friends and family if I want to. If that’s a problem for you or anyone else, report me!”

The report said Foley included her place of employment on her Facebook page making it fairly easy to identify where she worked for anyone who wanted to identify her.
Foley was placed on paid administrative leave on Dec. 21, and fired on Jan. 27, the newspaper said.

As a result of her termination, Foley told the newspaper that her first amendment rights were “trampled on” and she plans to file a lawsuit against the state.

I’ve all but tuned Fauci out.

Fauci’s mixed messages, inconsistencies about COVID-19 masks, vaccines and reopenings come under scrutiny

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director Anthony Fauci's often inconsistent comments and mixed messages on the coronavirus pandemic are prompting renewed scrutiny as debate rages over reopening schools and businesses nearly a year after the lockdowns started.

"Dr. Fauci is a very good public-health official. His job is to advise policy makers and inform the public," Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said on Tuesday. "But his job is NOT to decide what we can do, where we can go or which places can open or close And his job is NOT to mislead or scare us into doing the 'right things.'"

"Why should we trust Fauci with a national plan? Back in March, Fauci famously told Americans, 'There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask,'" wrote David Harsanyi in the National Review. "(Fauci now says we should wear two masks. No thanks, Dad.)"

Watching hearing.

I'm seeing folks that are not wearing masks on the bridge or their noses, but down low where it doesn't protect. I think many folks think wearing this way are not educated as to how to wear a mask... and think they are wearing correctly.

We see here so many folks saying "I wore mask"... etc etc and it spread... but if they are wearing as shown below, NO! WRONG!

More education is needed as many folks don't understand there must be 100% against skin and not an opening when they wear them low.

It amazes me that folks don't understand how to correctly wear masks but I see it so so so commonly. How do we educate folks to SEAL off at bridge of nose etc.

This is too common MOO for folks.

Are they ignorant? Rebelling?

Screenshots are from live Senate hearing..

cover bridge.JPG Correct on left, wrong on right as to not against skin at bridge to shut out and ensure all air goes through mask

wrongmask.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads