TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really hoping they’d find something during this search. :(
I suppose if they had it would mean he was dead and even though I know that's what is most likely, it would be sad to have it confirmed. While he is not found there is still a faint glimmer of hope that he was rescued and alive but I know that's unlikely.

Back window was busted but it was a very windy night.
There was no smell remaining when Kent entered the vehicle a few hours later.
And the smell of weed literally CLINGS to upholstery.
If you look close at the air vents in the car in the auction lot photos there are "febreeze" type air fresheners attached to a couple of them. Maybe they were only there to mask the odor of smelly sneakers. Or possibly something else.

You can be sure that a body was not found on this search-it is not a thing that can be kept secret, even if they wanted to but why would they? In any case, a coroner would have been called on scene and tons of LE, perimeters set up, and media alerted etc...so that did not happen...unfortunately. The amount of detail and recording that has to go into a scene with a body is copious...not a thing that can or would be hidden.

^^bbm

Nobody has denied that CCSO/DPS failed to treat this case as a missing person after-the-fact. They've admitted as much!

DPS/CCSO responded according to the information they had to work with and with their prior experience.

I don't see any officials being prosecuted or losing their job over their response to the tragic vehicle accident and what turned out to be a parent's worse nightmare.

I simply don't believe harping on DPS/CCSO actions/inactions will help find Jason or bring any comfort to his family.

MOO

Yup.. These cases happen every day and every night all over the State. They are extremely common. Should we launch the detectives every time a drunk crashes his car and leaves the scene? The procedural critics still can't point to a single piece of evidence that would be available now that isn't available had things been handled differently. And, in fact, they did start looking for him pretty quickly even though that seems to be disputed.

Should we launch the detectives every time a drunk crashes his car and leaves the scene?

I understand what you’re saying...

But to answer your question respectfully...no we shouldn’t launch a detective every time a “drunk” crashes his car & leaves the scene, but the LE official that may be at the scene should follow whatever their protocol may be & make sure that what they’re looking at is merely that—a “drunk” who’s abandoned their crashed vehicle. IMO.
I’ve read too many reports of people “leaving” their car @ the scene to tragically be found deceased...whether they were ejected from vehicle, died from injuries/exposure, etc.
Again, JMO.

Yup.. These cases happen every day and every night all over the State. They are extremely common. Should we launch the detectives every time a drunk crashes his car and leaves the scene? The procedural critics still can't point to a single piece of evidence that would be available now that isn't available had things been handled differently. And, in fact, they did start looking for him pretty quickly even though that seems to be disputed.
Procedural critics?
We're sleuthing a missing persons case.
Jason was his name.
He's our priority.
Jason , might have been located had the scene been handled more efficiently.
The first few hours are vitally important, particularly in a case like this.
But I'm not here to argue with you.
The facts speak for themselves after all.

As far as I can tell in my research (please correct me if I’m wrong) there has not been ONE case like this in TX, wherein a persons entire wardrobe down to his underwear and backpack was found in the middle of the road after an accident.

This was absolutely not a routine minor accident, and that should have been very clear. They did eventually realize their mistake, but at that point Jason could have (and seemingly did) travel outside the search area.

If any LE officer came upon this scene and thought Jason had simply decided to strip naked in the middle of the street (with the temps being high 30s) and abandon all of his belongings before finding a ride home I would have no confidence in that persons ability to serve the community. What an absurd scenario.

Unless there was foul play, Jason’s body is out there. So yes, a search starting immediately after the accident could certainly have changed the outcome

Last edited:
If any LE officer came upon this scene and thought Jason had simply decided to strip naked in the middle of the street (with the temps being high 30s) and abandon all of his belongings before finding a ride home I would have no confidence in that persons ability to serve the community. What an absurd scenario.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The clothes were 900 feet away from the car, though. That's 3 football fields. I think that would be very easy to overlook (as they did initially) or not associate with the crash at all. (sorry I tried to trim the quote and just messed it up!)

I'm up to speed on the CCSo report. I've read it hundreds of times. I keep it open when I'm working here.
I'm not sure what you are saying in relation to the post you replied to?
We're discussing the accident investigation that SHOULD have occurred prior to the vehicle being collected and the duration of the original accident report.

May I ask where you found the CCSO report?

The Luling police did search along Salt Flat Rd that night for the driver but the police can't just wander onto private property without permission or a search warrant. Besides, would such a small police department have enough resources to safely search over dark terrain in the middle of night? I doubt it.

I'm sure the Luling police did think the crash and the discarded clothing were strange but it's not their fault that Jason wasn't found by his car or walking along the road that night. Casting shade on the Luling police now seems unhelpful, IMO.

I hope further cell phone forensics will shed more light. Jason is out there somewhere and I hope they find him soon.

Luling Police Department | Luling, TX - Official Website

The Luling police did search along Salt Flat Rd that night for the driver but the police can't just wander onto private property without permission or a search warrant. Besides, would such a small police department have enough resources to safely search over dark terrain in the middle of night? I doubt it.

I'm sure the Luling police did think the crash and the discarded clothing were strange but it's not their fault that Jason wasn't found by his car or walking along the road that night. Casting shade on the Luling police now seems unhelpful, IMO.

I hope further cell phone forensics will shed more light. Jason is out there somewhere and I hope they find him soon.

Respectfully disagree about at least one thing... the clothes. They didn’t even care enough to pick them up, why should we presume they thought the discarded clothing was strange? To me, if they had, they would have examined it, picked it up, kept it for evidence, but they did none of those things.

I get that they couldn’t search private property and that they’ve admitted to handling it as a driver avoiding DUI, and I’ve been giving LE the benefit of the doubt with their handling of the scene all along. But now I feel like I’ve been making excuses for them.

There’s no excuse for calling in for a middle of the night tow before LE even got there to the scene. How do they know at that point what they’re dealing with? They haven’t seen it! Taking the description by a 17 yr. old VFF as fact is protocol? There could have been something there that indicated a gruesome murder for all they know. The car could have been a murder crime scene. How do they know it’s not before anyone sees it (besides a VFF)?

There’s no excuse for leaving all his clothes down the middle of the road. There could have been evidence on them!

This was CLEARLY an unusual scene, not typical of just an abandoned car. They shouldn’t have treated it as such, and I want to know why they did.

I’m not making excuses anymore. I don’t know why it was botched but it was botched.

Last edited:
I get that they couldn’t search private property and that they’ve admitted to handling it as a driver avoiding DUI, and I’ve been giving LE the benefit of the doubt with their handling of the scene all along. But now I feel like I’ve been making excuses for them.

There’s no excuse for calling in for a middle of the night tow before LE even got there to the scene. How do they know at that point what they’re dealing with? They haven’t seen it! Taking the description by a 17 yr. old VFF as fact is protocol? There could have been something there that indicated a gruesome murder for all they know. The car could have been a murder crime scene. How do they know it’s not before anyone sees it (besides a VFF)?

There’s no excuse for leaving all his clothes down the middle of the road. There could have been evidence on them!

This was CLEARLY an unusual scene, not typical of just an abandoned car. They shouldn’t have treated it as such, and I want to know why they did.

I’m not making excuses anymore. I don’t know why it was botched but it was botched.

Amen, Sista!!!

These are serious accusations. Please provide the link for these statements presented as fact. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member