Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed this case closely until Covid hit last March, then disconnected from it. I just read the arrest affidavit in it's entirety this week. LE believes she stabbed and shot this child. Then put him in her trunk, later dumped him, went back to see if he was still concealed, went back AGAIN and transported his body to Florida where she dumped him for good.

Question: is it possible or believed that Gannon was deceased in her trunk while she did that first on-camera interview with her back turned? It definitely sounds like he was in her trunk when the police were called and probably at the home getting info on him. INSANE.

IMO

ETA: the bolded. I wanted to clarify when she went back and removed him before going to FL.

Sadly, the first of many delays in this case I'm afraid! :(:mad:

However, if it means doing everything carefully by the books so that she can't make a case for a mistrial or appeal, I'm willing to wait! She's still in jail, I'm sure she's miserable and not getting to call all the shots like she'd hoped--that brings me some solace while we wait for justice!

MOO JMO

I followed this case closely until Covid hit last March, then disconnected from it. I just read the arrest affidavit in it's entirety this week. LE believes she stabbed and shot this child. Then put him in her trunk, later dumped him, went back to see if he was still concealed, went back AGAIN and transported his body to Florida where she dumped him for good.

Question: is it possible or believed that Gannon was deceased in her trunk while she did that first on-camera interview with her back turned? It definitely sounds like he was in her trunk when the police were called and probably at the home getting info on him. INSANE.

IMO

BBM
I believe he was. :(:(:(:eek:
She drove out of town that afternoon if I remember correctly. I guess she could've swung by the spot where she left him & put him in the box truck or her trunk that afternoon, but I think she already had him during that interview. Sick, sick, sick! Evil, evil, evil!

Also lends to the question that many have debated in past threads....who else knew or suspected? When did they suspect? Did they help her move him & cover up for her?

Spencer Wilson[URL='https://twitter.com/Spencer_WNews']@Spencer_WNews[/URL]

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
And #LeteciaStauch just walked in. In handcuffs, speaking with legal counsel now. She’s talking about the details of how the evidence is going back and forth from the jail. She just called the redaction process on evidence pages “.”

7:55 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Judge Werner getting in now, says there’s a large amount of people on the WebEx they weren’t expecting. Sounds like paper discovery was given to #LeteciaStauch on Wednesday. “It was all of the case core, around 14,000 pages.”

7:57 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
And #LeteciaStauch says all of that was taken from her by the El Paso County Jail staff so they could go over it. Says she has only met with her newly appointed legal counsel, and that’s it. Says she doesn’t know if she wants to waive next meeting until she sees the pages.

7:59 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Judge now asking
@4thJudicialDA
how long he believes the proof evident hearing would take, how many witnesses. “Less than 20 witnesses, scheduled for 2 days with one bleed over day.” “Hard to say how efficient that will be with #LeteciaStauch representing herself.”

8:00 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Now
@4thJudicialDA
says the core of the case is just a little more then 1,000 pages, which is far less than the 30,000 number we keep hearing. Still a ton, but actually manageable. Now talking about when they want the next hearing.

8:01 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Proof evident hearing scheduled for May 20th-? at 9:00 AM (depending on how long it goes for.) Judge “We will just go until we get done.”

8:03 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Judge now says there is a motion and grants it. Judge explains
@4thJudicialDA
can redact personal info from the evidence to protect them. She’ll be able to see the names and contact those people, or ask DA to help her get in contact. But social security numbers or addresses
8:06 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Judge now going over how they will get physical evidence to her, considering there is at least a few pieces in each of the two cases.
@4thJudicialDA
now saying they should dump the files at the jail because they are not redacted. They’ve made a drive with everything redacted.

8:08 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
And #LeteciaStauch now piping up, saying they’ll only let her use the law library for 2 hours a week. Judge says “We talked about this, it’s a part of representing yourself. We knew about this.” Legal counsel arguing she needs paper, not computer files...

8:09 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Specifically because she’s held in isolation.
@4thJudicialDA
says we should hear from the jail. Says #LeteciaStauch is a flight risk, has asked people to help her break out, etc. Stauch scoffs at that. Her counsel holds up a hand signaling her to stop.

8:11 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Jail representative now saying he believes it’s a security risk to provide the entire paper discovery for the case. Says he’s willing to help.

8:12 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Judge now ordering the papers at the jail need to be destroyed because none of it was redacted. Judge IS ordering
@4thJudicialDA
to print out the redacted pages, so looks like she’s getting her own paper records instead of trying to use the computer for 2 hours a day.

8:14 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
During all of this Al is sitting as far from #LeteciaStauch as possible. He’s looked at her out of the corner of his eye a few times.

8:15 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Judge asks #LeteciaStauch if there’s anything she wants him to consider at this time. Stauch “...no sir.” Things are wrapping up here.

8:17 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Judge explains to #LeteciaStauch that keeping the legal counsel in the loop is helpful in her case, he can help get in touch with the court. She can do it herself, but he suggests keeping him involved. “Yes sir.”

8:19 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
Legal counsel now telling #LeteciaStauch he’ll bring those records next week. He says she’ll be able to look on those a laptop. Sounds like we’ll have a long break before we hear more on this case, but we’ll be here when it kicks back up.

8:22 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
P.S. Legal counsel helping #LeteciaStauch represent herself is Josh Tolini, the standby for District 15. You can imagine the position he’s in considering he’s being thrown into this halfway through and will have to step in if she is removed from court.

8:35 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

LS needs to read KRDO's legal expert recap! She clearly does not understand that there's no right to privacy when you are in jail! Redaction of evidence is for the protection of all -- including LS.

Loew: I'm glad you brought that up. In Colorado, an in-custody defendant does not have the right to have all of his or her discovery at their disposal. They have the right to know all of their discovery and to have all their discovery read to them, but they do not have an absolute right to have their discovery with them while they are in the jail. And, the reason for that is to actually help the in-custody defendant because so many times there are jailhouse snitches, and those jailhouse snitches can get access to that discovery, call the District Attorney's office and say, 'Hey, defendant A just confessed to this homicide. This is all that they told me about the case,' and garner a better deal for themselves. That defendant may not have actually had a conversation with the jailhouse snitch, but the jailhouse snitch was able to get the information from the police reports. So, there's a real benefit to not having your discovery while you're incarcerated. You don't have privacy, you're in a jail.

Letecia Stauch will defend herself at murder trial, now what? - KRDO

Date Len Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
3/29/21-Divorce
11:00 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Status Conference D212020DR30309 El Paso County DIV 16-ROOM S370 (South Tower)

4/30/21-Divorce
8:45 AM 2Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Permanent Orders Hearing D212020DR30309 El Paso County DIV 16-ROOM S370 (South Tower)

5/20/21-Murder
9:00 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR1358 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

5/20/21-Escape
9:00 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR3170 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

5/21/21-Murder
9:00 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR1358 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

5/21/21-Escape
9:00 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR3170 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

Spencer Wilson@Spencer_WNews

Here’s that new count from that 30,00 pages we’ve been reporting, down to 26,101. #LeteciaStauch will have almost 2,000 pages to comb through in her cell after the judge ordered the
@4thJudicialDA
to print those redacted pages out.

8:59 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

...to comb through... in her cell.

Where she can't probably have a comb.

Because she'd hurt herself or someone else with it.

I'm not sure I want her to have a Sharpie even.

She's dangerous.

JMO

She faces a first-degree murder charge for the death of her 11-year-old stepson Gannon Stauch and had additional hearings set for next week which have been pushed back to May 20.

The ruling came after Stauch complained to the judge that she was granted access to the law library at the jail only a few hours a week which is where she would need to go to access those documents electronically.

Investigators believe Gannon was killed in the afternoon on Jan. 27, 2020 and that Letecia Stauch moved his body through the house, into the garage, and loaded it into the back of her Volkswagen Tiguan.

She also had her 17-year-old daughter buy carpet cleaner, trash bags, baking soda and vinegar, according to the documents. Investigators theorized in the records that Letecia Stauch then cleaned up the evidence of the killing before calling 911 at 6:55 p.m. that evening to report that Gannon hadn’t returned home after heading out to play with friends.

Deputies responded to her call that he was missing about 3½ hours after she made it, and they took a report from Letecia and conducted what the documents describe as “a limited search of the residence.” At the time the officers were there, Letecia Stauch’s Tiguan was backed into the garage, according to the records.

Those documents indicate that Gannon’s body was in the car at the time – asserting that it wasn’t until the next evening that investigators believe Stauch dumped his body in the area of Colorado 105 and Perry Park Road. Blood found in the boy’s bedroom, in the garage, and on a piece of particle board found in the area of Highway 105 and Perry Park Road all matched the boy’s DNA, according to the affidavit.
Gannon Stauch case: More delays for Letecia Stauch | 9news.com

Last edited:
Colette Bordelon[URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon[/URL]

TODAY at 8:30, #LeteciaStauch has a status conference to check and see how the transfer of around 30,000 pieces of evidence to her is going. She's decided to represent herself in her first-degree murder trial, where she's accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson, #GannonStauch.

5:53 AM · Mar 5, 2021

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Last week, during an advisement where the judge made sure she is waiving her right to counsel knowingly, intelligently, and voluntarily, #Stauch said there are two pieces of evidence that no science can discredit, which will clear her name.
@KOAA

"It's a constitutional right I have": Letecia Stauch asks to represent herself in court
While it's unknown exactly what was said during a closed-door conflict hearing for Letecia Stauch on Friday afternoon, she will next head to an Arguello advisement. Those are typically used when a...
koaa.com

5:54 AM · Mar 5, 2021

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
We should be heading into the courtroom soon. #GannonStauch’s father, Al Stauch, is here. Lead Prosecutor and
@4thJudicialDA
Michael Allen and him are currently chatting in the hallway. I’m here in person today.
@KOAA

7:25 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Now I’m in the courtroom. Technically walked in at 8:44 AM. #LeteciaStauch is not present at this moment. Only nine people in here right now, including myself.
@KOAA

7:46 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
At 8:53 AM, #LeteciaStauch enters the courtroom in an orange jumpsuit, handcuffs, and a disposable mask. Her hair is long.
@KOAA

7:54 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Judge Werner walks in at 8:55 AM. #LeteciaStauch is sitting directly in front of me.
@KOAA

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
The judge says there are LOTS of people watching this virtually. We first talk about the court granting #LeteciaStauch representing herself.
@KOAA

7:56 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Paper discovery (evidence) has been passed off to #LeteciaStauch. It was around 1,400 pages, but Stauch says the jail confiscated it immediately and she has not had a chance to go through it. Her advisory counsel is present.
@KOAA

7:58 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
The last time we were here, #Stauch was contemplating waiving the proof evident, presumption great hearings. She says she can’t make that decision today since she hasn’t yet gone over the evidence.
@KOAA

7:59 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Allen says there would be less than 20 witnesses for the preliminary hearings. He still says the two days blocked off (with a third day just in case) should be enough time. The case core is about 1,800 pages: total is around 26,000 pages (not 30,000 pages as previously estimated)

8:01 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
We’re now moving the proof evident, presumption great hearings to May 20 at 9 AM (they’ll go until they finish) - the dates originally scheduled for next week are now canceled.
@KOAA

8:04 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
The prosecution can redact certain identifying information regarding witnesses. #Stauch will still be able to know who the witnesses are and how she can contact them. She answers the judge softly with “yes sir.”
@KOAA

8:05 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Tangible evidence could be viewed in the preliminary hearings. Judge wants the prosecution to double check that photos have been taken of all the evidence so that #Stauch can see those, and decide if she wants to see evidence in person. It would be viewed under supervision.
@KOAA

8:07 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Now, Allen asks #Stauch doesn’t see the paper evidence until it’s redacted. Allen doesn’t think it’ll take too long to do that. #LeteciaStauch says the jail told her she can only go to the library for two hours once a week, and is concerned she won’t be able to go through it all.

8:09 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Her advisory counsel doesn’t understand why the papers can’t be printed off and given to her physically in the jail, rather than needing to access a laptop in the jail. Her advisory counsel says he doesn’t see the problem with giving paper evidence, once redacted.
@KOAA

8:10 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Allen alleges that #Stauch is a flight risk and has tried to break windows at the jail. #Stauch scoffs. The judge orders the case core must be provided in a paper format so she can prepare for the hearing on May 20.
@KOAA

8:11 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Now, someone from the El Paso County jail is saying they have “significant security concerns” over providing all of the paper evidence to #Stauch. The jail representative believes the 1,800 pages of case core is different than the entirety of all the evidence (~26,000 pages).

8:13 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
The papers that had already been transferred to #Stauch must be destroyed since they haven’t yet been redacted. Stauch says she hadn’t seen them yet anyways. Now the prosecution must get the redacted forms to her in jail.
@KOAA

8:14 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
#Stauch doesn’t have anything further she wants to talk to the judge about. “No sir,” she says quietly. The judge says if anything comes up before May 20, to file something, and he’ll figure out how to proceed. Stauch will have to go through her advisory counsel to file anything.

8:17 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Still, the judge says he doesn’t want a lot of lag time between when #Stauch wants to file something, and her advisory counsel facilitates it. Judge says that Stauch must keep her advisory counsel in the loop. Still, #Stauch is not restricted to filing things through her counsel.

8:19 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
And we’re done at 9:19 AM.
@KOAA

8:19 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Josh Tolini is the advisory counsel appointed to #LeteciaStauch, by the way.
@KOAA

8:29 AM · Mar 5, 2021 from Colorado Springs, CO

...to comb through... in her cell.

Where she can't probably have a comb.

Because she'd hurt herself or someone else with it.

I'm not sure I want her to have a Sharpie even.

She's dangerous.

JMO
*She gets a 2” stub of a pencil. I was going to make a joke about her pencil but there’s no point...

Stauch, 37, expressed concerns over her ability to review the report, explaining that she is only allowed two hours a week in the jail library.

“So, I’m not sure how I am supposed to review it all in two hours, once a week,” Stauch told Fourth Judicial District Judge Gregory Werner.

Well part of the issue here is that you’ve elected to represent yourself,” Werner said. “We’ve talked about the burdens.”

Werner appointed veteran Colorado Springs attorney Josh Tolini as her advisory counsel, who Werner said “satisfies the issue.”

Tolini said he delivered about 1,400 pages to Stauch this week, but Stauch told the judge that she hasn't reviewed the documents since jail staff confiscated them.

The judge ordered that a new copy, which redacts personal information of witnesses involved in the case, be provided to Stauch to review.

Fourth Judicial District Attorney Michael Allen said his office is in the process of redacting those documents and putting them on a digital drive that will also include photos, digital reports and other evidence.

“I fail to see why it can’t be printed off on paper so she can have access to it in her cell in order to prepare for this as opposed to just going and looking at it two hours a week digitally at the law library. I think that is a tremendous disadvantage,” Tolini said.

“She has exhibited being a flight risk. She has solicited people from inside the jail to use common items that are found in the jail to try and break windows and I assume they are concerned about those issues, the security concerns,” Allen said.

She brushed off the judge’s concerns that she would fail to effectively present her case, citing 30,000 pages of discovery documents. She referenced two pieces of evidence that she said would prove her innocence, calling it “an ace in the hole.”

On Friday, the judge said it was “prudent” to keep her advisory counsel “in the loop” so he can provide advice on how to proceed. If she wants to address an issue with the judge, Werner suggested Stauch contact Tolini before doing so before filing, though she isn't required to do so.

As advisory counsel, Tolini can give legal advice to Stauch but he will not appear on the record in front of a jury nor does he have decision-making authority in the case.

He said there would be fewer than 20 witnesses for the preliminary hearing and estimated that hearing would take two days.
Judge postpones hearing, gives Letecia Stauch more time to prepare in trial of the killing of her 11-year-old stepson

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/Spencer_WNews/status/1367866315596304385?s=20

Cant believe she actually called Bulls**t to the judge!!

Of course you can believe it!

I think that was before the judge entered.

Clarification:
LS entered the Courtroom two minutes before the Judge and began talking with her new advisory counsel.

She was not addressing the Court and/or the Judge when she called "bs" on the redaction of her documents.

LS was actually speaking to Josh Toslin, the advisory counsel appointed for direction during self-representation.

Reporter Spencer Wilson reported what he heard being discussed between LS and the advisory counsel:

Replying to
@Spencer_WNews
And #LeteciaStauch just walked in. In handcuffs, speaking with legal counsel now. She’s talking about the details of how the evidence is going back and forth from the jail. She just called the redaction process on evidence pages “********.”

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
At 8:53 AM, #LeteciaStauch enters the courtroom in an orange jumpsuit, handcuffs, and a disposable mask. Her hair is long.
@KOAA

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Judge Werner walks in at 8:55 AM. #LeteciaStauch is sitting directly in front of me.
@KOAA

Right. But the BS tweet was posted 2 minutes before the “judge has entered” tweet.

More important is that reporter Colette B tweeted the actual time each entered the courtroom. Unless granted by an expanded media/decorum order, in most Colorado criminal court hearings, reporters are tweeting during breaks or court recess so the tweet time should not be taken to mean the actual court time.

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
@KOAA

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
@KOAA

ETA:
Add Order #12 dated Jan 19, 2021

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...auch/O12 Order re Expanded Media Coverage.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member