FL FL - Watson Island, BlkFem 790UFFL, 16-26, in Japanese Gardens, Feb'81

If her skull was crushed, how accurate is the sketch of her face?
Maybe they can identify the tire and what vehicle it would have been on back then.
Glad to see DNA was collected and fingerprints. Genetic genealogy would be helpful if possible.
The old Miami Herald Building where her jeans and heels were found is 2+ miles from Watson Island. After the perp ran her over, he then traveled to the downtown area. That makes me think a business man who picked up a working girl. Was he angry that she was so young? A drug deal (height of the cocaine era in Miami) gone wrong?

upload_2021-2-3_18-26-0.png
Published May 07, 2016.

Her corpse was discovered on Feb. 3, 1981, outside the small tourist park on Miami’s Watson Island. A car or truck crushed her skull, leaving a bloody tire trail in the grass. She had no purse, no ID. Police found her jeans and heels across the causeway near Overtown.

She was young, between 14 and 16 years old.

Detectives theorized the girl was a prostitute. She was black, with the ends of her hair dyed pink and arched eyebrows.

Detectives found no purse, no ID. Her “Chic” brand blue jeans and high heels were found tossed from the killer’s vehicle in the blocks near the old Miami Herald building.

“From the looks of it, there may have been a dispute in the car,” Miami homicide Sgt. Richard Napoli said at the time. “And somehow it looks like she was put of the car and run over.”

Boyd arranged to have her DNA collected, re-ran fingerprints through various law-enforcement databases, and published her photos online to pages such as the Doe Network and the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article76163837.html#storylink=cpy

Rest Area Underwear & Panties - CafePress
similar to the underwear... you have to wonder if it was something custom, novelty or a an inside joke?
I doubt it was custom. I raised 2 daughters. The teen or juniors lingerie department of clothing stores had bins of novelty printed panties. They had all kinds of sayings on them such as this. I never let them buy the ones with the suggestive words on them. Besides, mine were so sheltered, I had to explain what some of the wording meant!

Such a sad case. This girl could have been a refugee or an undocumented immigrant, which could explain why she was never reported missing. There was a huge influx of refugees from Cuba and Haiti into the Miami area in the 1970's/early 1980's. Plus immigrants from other parts of the Caribbean.

Last edited:
How do you see the newest cases added to the Charley Project?
She's not in NamUs yet. She needs to be. I feel for her. How tragic all that she went through; she deserves to be located, have her name back if need be.
I always go to “Updates” on the Charley Project’s drop down menu. That’s how I see the newly listed/updated profiles.

Just to update since the last posts in this thread, Christine Denese James has been added to NamUs: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Details are a little different from the info on The Charley Project: NamUs says she disappeared aged 15 around May 16, 1983, instead of aged 11-12 in late 1979 or 1980 (the height is different too). If NamUs is right that would rule her out as being this Jane Doe.

Here is Christine's thread: FL - FL- Christine James, 11-12, claimed to be pregnant, not reported missing, Colemand, 1 Jul 79'

Yesterday made 41 years since this girl was found. Like I've said before, this could be more than three times the length of time that she actually spent alive. It's hard to imagine that absolutely nobody out there is looking for her. I can't help but think that her family is out of the country (Haiti or Jamaica). It's just tragic.

Yesterday made 41 years since this girl was found. Like I've said before, this could be more than three times the length of time that she actually spent alive. It's hard to imagine that absolutely nobody out there is looking for her. I can't help but think that her family is out of the country (Haiti or Jamaica). It's just tragic.

There must be people wondering...what happened to my sister, daughter, this sweet girl I went to school with..but didn't or couldn't get through the system. It's also possible that she was taken, sold....and family knows....to much possibilities....For this case I recommend genealogical research, if possible.

3 exclusions listed in NamUs:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP78187Christine James
Date of Last ContactMay 16, 1983
StateFL
CountySumter

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP14204Shirley Hyman
Date of Last ContactAugust 28, 1981
StatePA
CountyPhiladelphia

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP26421Beverly Ward
Date of Last ContactJuly 04, 1978
StateKS
CountyGeary

Bumping.

Here are some additional thoughts that I've had about this case, which I am not sure that I have shared here yet:

The fact that the vehicle passed over her twice - could it be possible that the person initially hit our Jane Doe was driving their vehicle forward (perhaps while rushing to leave the location for whatever reason), and after the initial impact, they could have thrown their vehicle into reverse and high-tailed it out of the lot, passing over Jane Doe again in the process? Or vice-versa?

Although LE appears to have formed a scenario where Jane Doe was thrown out of a car by an angry client or pimp and then run over, it doesn't seem like any witnesses actually saw the crash (since the body was, evidently, found hours after it had taken place). I say "crash" and not "accident" because I think that, even on the off chance that the actual collision was not intended to occur as it did, the driver was 100% in the wrong for seemingly making no attempt to stop and render any sort of aid to this poor girl. Instead, they opted to leave her face-down in the dirt and haphazardly discard her few belongings all over the surrounding area. It's just sick and callous.

For what it is worth, someone who is sexually involved with an extremely underage girl (going along with the estimates that she may have been as young as 12) is probably not the best person in general, and they would have every reason to avoid contacting the authorities about this, regardless of whatever other factors may have come into play here.

3 exclusions listed in NamUs:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP78187Christine James
Date of Last ContactMay 16, 1983
StateFL
CountySumter

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP14204Shirley Hyman
Date of Last ContactAugust 28, 1981
StatePA
CountyPhiladelphia

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP26421Beverly Ward
Date of Last ContactJuly 04, 1978
StateKS
CountyGeary

Old Websleuths Auntie here, so so sad to see pictures of these three beautiful young ladies, each missed by friends & family all this time....

jmho ymmy lrr

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back