MA MA - Sandra Crispo, 54, Hanson, 7 August 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read and re-read some of the details around the last phone call and the plans with the cousin, and I must say I'm a little confused. Can anyone help me with the following (debunk or clear up):
- Sandra had plans to meet up with or be picked up by her cousin that evening after she got back from dropping her car off
- Sandra was supposed to call her cousin when she returned home to let her know she was back
- The last outgoing phone call was at 5:30 from Sandra's phone (landline presumably) to the cousin
- The cousin says she did not receive a call from Sandra nor see a missed call

If the above is all true, some followup questions (trying to tread delicately here due to TOS):
- Could investigators tell from phone records if the call from Sandra was answered, even if it was a really short call vs missed?
- Could the cousin have picked up Sandra that evening, despite saying she waited for Sandra's call to no avail?

Thanks in advance!
The second podcast
EPISODE 269: Sandra Crispo — The Vanished Podcast
According to her cousin, Sandra was supposed to stay over Wed night, they spoke at some point Wednesday when the grandchildren were still there, no actual time has been given by LE for when this call took place. But this call was an incoming call from the cousin to Sandra, we know this because the cousin was told by LE that her number was the last one again no time has been officially given. Also yes according to the cousin, Sandra was supposed to get back to her when she returned from mechanics.

this is the original podcast, mentions calls. BBM
Episode 1 Sandra Crispo
Last outgoing call was Tues to daughter
Last incoming was Wed from cousin
(Any other calls after Wed from Laina went unanswered)
note it does not mention any times
The 5:30 call has never been confirmed by LE

I would think an answered call/ connected call could be differentiated from a missed call but I am not 100% because maybe VM acts the same as answered, they should be able to retrieve messages and establish times from that. MOO

anything is possible as far as her cousin picking her up but the back door was unlocked and I don’t think Sandra would leave her home for a night and not lock it. MOO

unlocked and I don’t think Sandra would leave her home for a night and not lock it. MOO

Sorry, I snipped too much, but what I wanted to say is that maybe she could have left the door unlocked, thinking no one would bother her house if her dog barked. I’m not sure what to think but I don’t feel she committed self harm simply because of the dog. To most they are like children and I would think she wouldn’t want to abandon it. Then there’s the lights on, maybe they were on for the dog.

The watermelon not being put away or eaten is strange. Maybe not though if she was in a hurry but it would attract bugs so I don’t know. I guess the whole house could have been staged to look like she was home and then left voluntarily. Just some thoughts I had. I admit to jumping around last night to refresh my memory so someone may have had these same thoughts, sorry if so.

The watermelon not being put away or eaten is strange. Maybe not though if she was in a hurry but it would attract bugs so I don’t know. I guess the whole house could have been staged to look like she was home and then left voluntarily. Just some thoughts I had. I admit to jumping around last night to refresh my memory so someone may have had these same thoughts, sorry if so.

I'm pretty sure Sandra's daughter said the watermelon was cut up and put in the fridge, presumably for the boys on Friday. Not sure what the rush to cut it up was, unless Sandra was planning on being away for a night or two. Or perhaps it wasn't actually intended for the kids.

The second podcast
EPISODE 269: Sandra Crispo — The Vanished Podcast
According to her cousin, Sandra was supposed to stay over Wed night, they spoke at some point Wednesday when the grandchildren were still there, no actual time has been given by LE for when this call took place. But this call was an incoming call from the cousin to Sandra, we know this because the cousin was told by LE that her number was the last one again no time has been officially given. Also yes according to the cousin, Sandra was supposed to get back to her when she returned from mechanics.

True. And as you note, the only thing we know about the conversation Sandra had with her cousin is that her cousin says the boys were still in the house. Which puts it before she and they headed out for the mechanics.

I've just listened to the podcasts. I was very surprised to hear that Laina and her husband had/ have suspicions about her siblings. It seemed clear to me from the beginning with reading about some things outside of here and on here. I just didn't know her daughter and SIL noticed and felt the same till I heard that in the podcast. Someone will dare have to speak and obviously he/ she is terrified to. It seems no financial gain came to the person/ persons after all of this. How did they think it would? I believe firmly as well, that there definitely was violence/ shouting , all of that , in her home due to the behavior of her dog. Then she was taken, one way or the other. So hard to believe that no one noticed anything around her, but it seems they didn't.
I also believe Sandra knew of all the 'discord' that was created in her family about the will and sale of house. She had been hearing and dealing with it all since the will was read I'm sure.
She told her cousin her car was going into the shop and her plans to return home with her SIL. Wonder how that travelled to the wrong person as perhaps a time to confront again.
Clearly loose lips sunk Sandra's ship.
BUT, also not satisfied with the response to the note the girl left regarding the recently released man from prison.... said. 'she (Sandra) knew him..I also believe this girl came forward bravely and believe her sincerity and help. The man in prison would also share info on her to another if there was a financial gain to someone on the outside or himself of his ilk. These are TWO scenario's that I see as the answer to the beginning of Sandra's disappearance. IMO of course!

I've just listened to the podcasts. I was very surprised to hear that Laina and her husband had/ have suspicions about her siblings. It seemed clear to me from the beginning with reading about some things outside of here and on here. I just didn't know her daughter and SIL noticed and felt the same till I heard that in the podcast. Someone will dare have to speak and obviously he/ she is terrified to. It seems no financial gain came to the person/ persons after all of this. How did they think it would? I believe firmly as well, that there definitely was violence/ shouting , all of that , in her home due to the behavior of her dog. Then she was taken, one way or the other. So hard to believe that no one noticed anything around her, but it seems they didn't.
I also believe Sandra knew of all the 'discord' that was created in her family about the will and sale of house. She had been hearing and dealing with it all since the will was read I'm sure.
She told her cousin her car was going into the shop and her plans to return home with her SIL. Wonder how that travelled to the wrong person as perhaps a time to confront again.
Clearly loose lips sunk Sandra's ship.
BUT, also not satisfied with the response to the note the girl left regarding the recently released man from prison.... said. 'she (Sandra) knew him..I also believe this girl came forward bravely and believe her sincerity and help. The man in prison would also share info on her to another if there was a financial gain to someone on the outside or himself of his ilk. These are TWO scenario's that I see as the answer to the beginning of Sandra's disappearance. IMO of course!
In regards to the girl on caught on ring delivering the note, I was assuming she meant she herself knew the man not that Sandra knew him, I think she wanted to remain hidden in case he caught wind she pointed the finger at him. MOO

*snip" I believe firmly as well, that there definitely was violence/ shouting , all of that , in her home due to the behavior of her dog. Then she was taken, one way or the other. So hard to believe that no one noticed anything around her, but it seems they didn't.

Maybe. Or maybe the dog was just dehydrated and hungry.

In regards to the girl on caught on ring delivering the note, I was assuming she meant she herself knew the man not that Sandra knew him, I think she wanted to remain hidden in case he caught wind she pointed the finger at him. MOO

My impression was that the note implied that Sandra and the man were known to each other (and that was later shown to be not true). I definitely could have misheard that so I will have to listen again.

My impression was that the note implied that Sandra and the man were known to each other (and that was later shown to be not true). I definitely could have misheard that so I will have to listen again.

Same here. That Sandra knew that man, who was the subject of the note dropped on her doorstep. I'm not convinced that she did not know him. I would believe this scenario before I would go with the one where it's one of her relatives.

I was thinking it was some guy from Hanson that people knew of and that he had a criminal record so they wanted to alert the family to this possible POI. I didn’t think Sandra knew anyone from there.

I was thinking it was some guy from Hanson that people knew of and that he had a criminal record so they wanted to alert the family to this possible POI. I didn’t think Sandra knew anyone from there.

I think that's kind of how they were able to rule out that she knew him. I think they even said he had fairly recently gotten out of jail? I'm definitely going to have to do a re-listen though.

Okay, this is the section of the episode of the Vanished podcast that deals with her disappearance and the note, sorry for any misspellings or omissions, I typed as quickly as I could:

Narrator: While they waited, Tim took some action of his own and an unexpected lead soon came in.

Tim: At first with the Hanson police, nothing was really coming up, so we installed the RING cameras on her house just for activity or, again, we didn’t know if someone would try to break in now that they knew she was missing - or who knows. So we put the cameras up for everyone’s safety. We had a car pull up one day, some younger woman, she had a hoodie on, covering her face, couldn’t really make out what was going on. She had left something on the front stoop. I got the notification on my phone, we were in the backyard hanging out. I said “Laina, some girl’s just dropped something off!” I flew to the house, again we are only 7-10 minutes away, and there was a note under a statue she had on her stoop. And there was a note, it said “you need to start looking into this certain guy in Hanson. I think he has something to do with it, they knew each other” - or so far and so forth. We went to the Hanson Police, they didn’t think it was anything crazy. It was a couple weeks in and we had no news on her so we thought this was it, this was the breaking news. They took the note, made a copy and they investigated but nothing really ever came of that.

Narrator: It turned out that there was a local man who had been released from prison around the time of Sandra’s disappearance. There was no connection between Sandra and the man. Local LE established that he was not near her home or in her neighborhood during the time she disappeared. It was a lead that fizzled out.

Last edited:
My impression was that the note implied that Sandra and the man were known to each other (and that was later shown to be not true). I definitely could have misheard that so I will have to listen again.[/QUOTE
Wow now seeing that way it makes me think, how would this rando woman or maybe not so rando woman know that Sandra “knew this guy?” Was this a set up to distract police? I did find it weird that someone would leave a note and not contact police directly. MOO

@Dotrat It is very weird to leave a note (under a statue where it might not ever be found?) but you can't rule out a prank or, more likely to me, people who want to be involved in solving it but who are really just inserting themselves into a "dramatic" situation. It's sad for the families who get their hopes up though.

Okay, this is the section of the episode of the Vanished podcast that deals with her disappearance and the note, sorry for any misspellings or omissions, I typed as quickly as I could:

Narrator: While they waited, Tim took some action of his own and an unexpected lead soon came in.

Tim: At first with the Hanson police, nothing was really coming up, so we installed the RING cameras on her house just for activity or, again, we didn’t know if someone would try to break in now that they knew she was missing - or who knows. So we put the cameras up for everyone’s safety. We had a car pull up one day, some younger woman, she had a hoodie on, covering her face, couldn’t really make out what was going on. She had left something on the front stoop. I got the notification on my phone, we were in the backyard hanging out. I said “Laina, some girl’s just dropped something off!” I flew to the house, again we are only 7-10 minutes away, and there was a note under a statue she had on her stoop. And there was a note, it said “you need to start looking into this certain guy in Hanson. I think he has something to do with it, they knew each other” - or so far and so forth. We went to the Hanson Police, they didn’t think it was anything crazy. It was a couple weeks in and we had no news on her so we thought this was it, this was the breaking news. They took the note, made a copy and they investigated but nothing really ever came of that.

Narrator: It turned out that there was a local man who had been released from prison around the time of Sandra’s disappearance. There was no connection between Sandra and the man. Local LE established that he was not near her home or in her neighborhood during the time she disappeared. It was a lead that fizzled out.
Thank you for this, now I really think that whole scenario is wicked wonky. MOO

Been thinking about the note left under what looks like was a little Buddha statue or planter, and I think it's a red herring. A person trolling in person is probably what the cops ended up concluding.

Other possible random red herrings in my mind at least are: The dog being quiet. He hadn't had any food or water in a while so he was very possibly toned down due to that.

The fact that Sandra didn't have a cell phone. If it's true she didn't spend much time away from home and only had a very few family members as friends, she may have figured even a flip phone wasn't worth a monthly expense. As someone in her mid-50's who apparently never worked in an office, she very well may not have ever become used to using the internet and felt no need for access. There was a time, not long ago!, when people lived happily without it. Hard to imagine I know, but it's hard to miss what you've never had.

As someone mentioned, lights being on. Could easily be a red herring if it was just a few lights in the kitchen or living room area. This is the weather forecast for the Boston area on Wednesday: source is Boston.com
"Meteorologists with the National Weather Service say to "keep an eye to the sky" as potentially heavy rain and strong winds move into the region". So having some lights on that afternoon-evening before it got dark may make perfect sense.

Other things I want to know more about. Random:

What keys were given to the mechanic? As SIL handed them over, he should have an idea. If house keys were on a chain and given to the mechanic, did Sandra have a spare? If she was going out that night, you'd think she'd have kept a key with her and would have had no reason to leave door unlocked.

Her daughter mentioned that she'd sometimes stay overnight at her cousin's, and we have no reason to not believe cousin about their plans that night. Did her cousin think it was odd that Sandra blew her off, or was she kind of flighty like that? Conversely, was Sandra non-committal about coming over when they talked earlier in the day or were they pretty firm, just looking to confirm a pick up time?

What is the thing the daughter says she found a month later that the cops missed? Is this the reason the cops more thoroughly searched the house in September of '19? Has LE completely ruled the house out as a crime scene? I have seen people say this, but I don't know where it's coming from. The most I think we can say is they didn't initially see it as a crime scene. And SIL confirms nothing looked out of place or unusual when he first saw the house after the disappearance.

I think the most important confirmed fact about this case is that Sandra had no transportation of her own and lived in an area where you couldn't just walk to a corner store. Either someone in the neighborhood is involved or someone took her away in a vehicle and she never made it home. As for the neighbors, it doesn't sound like anyone thinks its one of them, what with SIL's mother now living alone in the house. (podcast)

So many serious crimes these days are solved by house/business camera systems and cell phone pings. Is there nothing at all here?

Sorry this is so long. Just wanted to get some thoughts down.

I'm pretty sure Sandra's daughter said the watermelon was cut up and put in the fridge, presumably for the boys on Friday. Not sure what the rush to cut it up was, unless Sandra was planning on being away for a night or two. Or perhaps it wasn't actually intended for the kids.

Snipped. This is the only thing I don't think is weird in this case - I always cut up watermelon when I get it and put it in the fridge so it is easy to grab and eat whenever we want a snack.

Been thinking about the note left under what looks like was a little Buddha statue or planter, and I think it's a red herring. A person trolling in person is probably what the cops ended up concluding.

Other possible random red herrings in my mind at least are: The dog being quiet. He hadn't had any food or water in a while so he was very possibly toned down due to that.

The fact that Sandra didn't have a cell phone. If it's true she didn't spend much time away from home and only had a very few family members as friends, she may have figured even a flip phone wasn't worth a monthly expense. As someone in her mid-50's who apparently never worked in an office, she very well may not have ever become used to using the internet and felt no need for access. There was a time, not long ago!, when people lived happily without it. Hard to imagine I know, but it's hard to miss what you've never had.

As someone mentioned, lights being on. Could easily be a red herring if it was just a few lights in the kitchen or living room area. This is the weather forecast for the Boston area on Wednesday: source is Boston.com
"Meteorologists with the National Weather Service say to "keep an eye to the sky" as potentially heavy rain and strong winds move into the region". So having some lights on that afternoon-evening before it got dark may make perfect sense.

Other things I want to know more about. Random:

What keys were given to the mechanic? As SIL handed them over, he should have an idea. If house keys were on a chain and given to the mechanic, did Sandra have a spare? If she was going out that night, you'd think she'd have kept a key with her and would have had no reason to leave door unlocked.

Her daughter mentioned that she'd sometimes stay overnight at her cousin's, and we have no reason to not believe cousin about their plans that night. Did her cousin think it was odd that Sandra blew her off, or was she kind of flighty like that? Conversely, was Sandra non-committal about coming over when they talked earlier in the day or were they pretty firm, just looking to confirm a pick up time?

What is the thing the daughter says she found a month later that the cops missed? Is this the reason the cops more thoroughly searched the house in September of '19? Has LE completely ruled the house out as a crime scene? I have seen people say this, but I don't know where it's coming from. The most I think we can say is they didn't initially see it as a crime scene. And SIL confirms nothing looked out of place or unusual when he first saw the house after the disappearance.

I think the most important confirmed fact about this case is that Sandra had no transportation of her own and lived in an area where you couldn't just walk to a corner store. Either someone in the neighborhood is involved or someone took her away in a vehicle and she never made it home. As for the neighbors, it doesn't sound like anyone thinks its one of them, what with SIL's mother now living alone in the house. (podcast)

So many serious crimes these days are solved by house/business camera systems and cell phone pings. Is there nothing at all here?

Sorry this is so long. Just wanted to get some thoughts down.

A couple of thoughts on this....

The cell phone thing wouldn't bother me EXCEPT for the fact that she was a full time caregiver to her three very young grandchildren. As a parent myself, I would not have been comfortable with the no cell phone arrangement as a safety precaution if nothing else.

The thing found in the house all that time later was something discovered while looking "on hands and knees." LM has said she won't say what this is out of respect for the investigation. My speculation would be that she thinks she found some kind of blood evidence. But that's just an educated guess.

To my knowledge the house has never been ruled in or out as a crime scene. In fact, LE have never said they are investigating this as foul play or that they suspect foul play. In the podcast, Sandra's family says that LE are so far unable to get uncooperative people to talk (or to get search warrants) because this is a missing persons case, not a criminal case. If that's true, I would assume that no one's cell phone location data has been analyzed yet.

Snipped. This is the only thing I don't think is weird in this case - I always cut up watermelon when I get it and put it in the fridge so it is easy to grab and eat whenever we want a snack.

True, although the daughter has mentioned it two or three times and said it was cut up for the boys for Friday. Not sure how she'd know this but maybe Sandra wasn't a watermelon fan herself. but I guess daughter would have to explain why she felt it was significant beyond the implication that Sandra planned on being home for them on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann