IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great catch! It looks like a whole hidden identity. In some places, you see him use his middle name which helps avoid felony detection, plus create a false identity.

It didn't strike me as a hidden identity. He certainly lies a lot and many of his remarks have...um, interesting potential double interpretations, but I don't think he's trying to hide his identity. He appears to go by Brian most of the time, probably to distinguish himself from his father who has the same name.

ETA: Not saying he hasn't used other identities as you suggest. Only that I didn't see evidence of it in the photo captions on Facebook.

Last edited:
According to his FB page, he had reconnected with a childhood friend who is still back in TN several months ago and that had blossomed into a long-distance relationship. It looks like that ended fairly recently (with the poor woman now being attacked by some FB trolls). It appears that he was trying to move *very* fast with the relationship, so maybe she got scared off and ditched him and he subsequently snapped?

Who knows if he even had any rings or if he just posted that in yet another “woe is me” attempt to garner sympathy?

I'm leaning on he has done this before... there are some girls in Iowa that were murdered in 2012 which some are wondering if he was involved in that. His victim I guess this time was a next door neighbor. How brazen of him to do that. Was it on impulse or did he think he wouldn't be caught ?

The Evansdale Murders — Unresolved

Many men with the same name as their father use their middle name, it seems this was the case here. I don't believe he was trying to create a false identity or avoid anyone.
moo
Could be. I specialize in white-collar crime and the manipulation of names is often a sign of a changed or hidden background for one reason or another. This is especially so with medical licensures. I will often be involved in cases that start off straightforward then start to unravel in other crime areas. Absolutely fascinating work but like most cases it is the small things that give criminals away. Most people with felonies have major reasons to need to hide them. I think this person fits that profile. We do get involved with financial-based crimes then leads to death investigations. This case caught my personal attention for two reasons 1) it is shocking to see potentially two brutal attackers so geographically close unless they are one and the same. 2) it seems obvious to me the perp has to know the area well. Both cases appear to be high impulse, high risk of some level of detection. So now, we have two people that are impulsive, geographically close, with similar traits.

Could be. I specialize in white-collar crime and the manipulation of names is often a sign of a changed or hidden background for one reason or another. This is especially so with medical licensures. I will often be involved in cases that start off straightforward then start to unravel in other crime areas. Absolutely fascinating work but like most cases it is the small things that give criminals away. Most people with felonies have major reasons to need to hide them. I think this person fits that profile. We do get involved with financial-based crimes then leads to death investigations. This case caught my personal attention for two reasons 1) it is shocking to see potentially two brutal attackers so geographically close unless they are one and the same. 2) it seems obvious to me the perp has to know the area well. Both cases appear to be high impulse, high risk of some level of detection. So now, we have two people that are impulsive, geographically close, with similar traits.

It is shocking but there are more than two people who are impulsive, geographically close, and with similar traits. Neighboring Howard County, IN, which has one of the bigger cities (Kokomo) in that area near Lafayette where JBC was living, had a child rapist residing there in 2017 who had served his time for attempted rape, criminal confinement, and attempted criminal deviate conduct. This is what his court document says he did (name redacted because it is unrelated to this case):

The victim, XX, was eleven (11) years old at the time of this incident. [THE OFFENDER] posed as a police officer to gain the confidence of XX and, after getting her in his automobile, detained her there for a period of three and one-half (3 1/2) hours. He used a knife to threaten her and induce her to do what he wished. He admitted he tried to have sexual intercourse with her. He also inflicted cuts on her throat, stomach, and wrists. The record of the guilty plea hearing revealed that [THE OFFENDER] had committed similar acts four months prior to the present incident, was convicted of the crime of confinement and was placed on probation. He was still on probation for the confinement conviction at the time he committed the attempted rape in the instant cause.

Had Chadwell managed to put off the police who returned to his door that evening, and had he ended up killing his victim, LE might be right now looking into the whereabouts of the above individual instead in order to find out what happened to her.

It is shocking that there would be more than one person with those traits and behaviors so close geograpically, I think someone else brought that up last week as an example of why it must be the same person.

I immediately thought of 9 year old Daralyn Johnson in Nampa, Idaho, who was abducted and found murdered in 1982.

Only nine months later, 30 minutes away in Boise, 14 year old Lisa Chambers was abducted and found murdered.

It must have been the same killer, right? Only nine months apart! And Nampa only had a population of 25,000 at the time; Boise was about 130,000 . The Boise Valley didn't even have proximity to any large metropolitan area, like Delphi and Lafayette do.

It took decades to solve both these cases. These were two separate killers, who had nothing to do with each other. They were strangers to each of the girls. They did both live in the girls' general neighborhoods.

It is shocking but there are more than two people who are impulsive, geographically close, and with similar traits. Neighboring Howard County, IN, which has one of the bigger cities (Kokomo) in that area near Lafayette where JBC was living, had a child rapist residing there in 2017 who had served his time for attempted rape, criminal confinement, and attempted criminal deviate conduct. This is what his court document says he did (name redacted because it is unrelated to this case):

The victim, XX, was eleven (11) years old at the time of this incident. [THE OFFENDER] posed as a police officer to gain the confidence of XX and, after getting her in his automobile, detained her there for a period of three and one-half (3 1/2) hours. He used a knife to threaten her and induce her to do what he wished. He admitted he tried to have sexual intercourse with her. He also inflicted cuts on her throat, stomach, and wrists. The record of the guilty plea hearing revealed that [THE OFFENDER] had committed similar acts four months prior to the present incident, was convicted of the crime of confinement and was placed on probation. He was still on probation for the confinement conviction at the time he committed the attempted rape in the instant cause.

Had Chadwell managed to put off the police who returned to his door that evening, and had he ended up killing his victim, LE might be right now looking into the whereabouts of the above individual instead in order to find out what happened to her.

Snipped by me.

I have studied this, or maybe I should say topics tangential to this. I know more about this as it relates to child murderers and serial child murderers than offenders in general. All of this is MOO.

There is a link between substance abuse and violent offending that has been well-established by many studies. One issue is that many of these use self-reporting by inmates so there may be some bias (as they try to find excuses for their crimes) but it appears that many violent criminals (of all kinds) used alcohol or drugs the day that they committed the acts that landed them in custody. And it makes sense because, while studies have not found that people are "driven mad by drugs" and have no choice other than to offend, substance use does lower inhibitions and depress the decision making that leads to proper impulse control. So if you already had a compulsion to offend, by and large the use of substances is not going to help you resist that urge.

Speaking more specifically about those offenders who perpetrate the abduction and murder of children, I will tell you a little about their characteristics. This information comes from a huge study (over 800 cases) of child abduction killers. About one-fourth of people who abducted and killed a child were already on probation or parole for another offense on the day they committed their crime. A large proportion of child abduction killers had a history of prior violent offenses, particularly against children but often against adults as well. Most of these had previous crimes of sex assault or rape against children, but a large number had "regular" kidnap or assault charges with no history of sexual offenses as well.

About one-fourth of the child abduction killers studied have alcohol abuse problems. About one-fifth were judged to have serious drug-related problems. These child killers, as a group, were more likely to experience personal behavior problems than the "average" killer. One-third of them had previously exhibited sexual problems - ten times more likely to exhibit this than a non-child abduction killer. They were slightly more likely to be substance abusers or have diagnosed mental problems than a non-child abduction killer. Offenders who have crimes against children in series are more likely to have sexual, substance abuse, and mental problems than one-off killers of children.

In all respects, the person who abducts and kills a child is more like a serial killer of adults than any other type of criminal in their personal characteristics. Sexual motivation exists for the majority of child abduction/murder crimes.

I'm unaware of anything linking choice of MO to substance abuse but I will make two comments. A weapon is much less likely to be found as a piece of evidence in child abduction murders than other types of crimes. That's because child abduction killers more often kill by human physical agency (strangling, beating, etc.) than by a weapon. Not every case, obviously, but more often. Child abduction murderers are also more likely to use bindings as part of the fantasy of the crime than other types of killers (except serial killers of adults). In fact, use of bindings is the one statistically significant finding that can predict whether investigators are dealing with a serial offender or not. The majority of child abduction murderers use physical force or threats of force to attack their victims (over grooming).

Again, all MOO but for details on the statistics I quoted, again, they can be found here: Child Abduction Murder Research | Washington State

Thank you so much for all this enlightening information - as always you bring such a thoughtful factual perspective to these discussions. Lots to think about.

I looked into that too, he had a check in in California two days after she went missing.

ETA: JBC seems like an impulsive predator, if he comes across a child that’s alone he takes advantage. Like the neighbor child, if Libby & Abby are his victims it seems like he just took advantage of them being alone.

I highly doubt he was in California, and another little FB goody seems to allow members to fake your checkin locations :rolleyes:

<self snipped because I think I may have misunderstood something .. not hard to do in this case>

Last edited:
Super interesting.

Welcome to WS. Stick around! We could use your contributions and insights.

jmo

I remember that case. Don't remember where I saw it (probably here) but I remember reading about this. No defendant name?

I hope like hell this all ties into JBC....if anything for peace for the families

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

Case: 79D02-2104-F1-000010
05/04/2021
Motion for Continuance Filed

05/04/2021
Order Issued
Granting Motion to Continue Omnibus Date

07/16/2021
Pretrial Conference
Session:
07/16/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

08/10/2021
Jury Trial
Session:
08/10/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

Case: 79D02-2104-F1-000010
05/04/2021
Motion for Continuance Filed

05/04/2021
Order Issued
Granting Motion to Continue Omnibus Date

07/16/2021
Pretrial Conference
Session:
07/16/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

08/10/2021
Jury Trial
Session:
08/10/2021 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P
I had to look up what the word omnibus means in this context. If I understand correctly the pros. needs more time to obtain evidence. Is this correct and is this usual?

I had to look up what the word omnibus means in this context. If I understand correctly the pros. needs more time to obtain evidence. Is this correct and is this usual?

Below is the google version I found for Indiana:
 1 . (a) This subsection applies to persons charged with a felony.  A date, known as the omnibus date:
(1) must be set by the judicial officer at the initial hearing;  and
(2) must be no earlier than forty-five (45) days and no later than seventy-five (75) days after the completion of the initial hearing, unless the prosecuting attorney and the defendant agree to a different date.

(b) The purpose of the omnibus date is to establish a point in time from which various deadlines under this article are established.  The court shall direct the clerk to notify the defendant and all counsel of record of the omnibus date.

Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-36-8-1 | FindLaw

Below is the google version I found for Indiana:
 1 . (a) This subsection applies to persons charged with a felony.  A date, known as the omnibus date:
(1) must be set by the judicial officer at the initial hearing;  and
(2) must be no earlier than forty-five (45) days and no later than seventy-five (75) days after the completion of the initial hearing, unless the prosecuting attorney and the defendant agree to a different date.

(b) The purpose of the omnibus date is to establish a point in time from which various deadlines under this article are established.  The court shall direct the clerk to notify the defendant and all counsel of record of the omnibus date.

Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-36-8-1 | FindLaw
Thank you!

I remember that case. Don't remember where I saw it (probably here) but I remember reading about this. No defendant name?

I hope like hell this all ties into JBC....if anything for peace for the families

The perpetrator for the crime I quoted in this article went to jail for it. He was out of jail by 2017. His identity is known; I didn't include it because the important thing isn't to say his name in this thread but to illustrate that there are more offenders like JBC in that tri-county area than most people realize.

I wonder if JBC was sightseeing at Purdue in September 2017?

Woman: I was grabbed, dragged by a masked man near Purdue University

[...] She got out of her car and when she started walking, a man immediately grabbed her by her arms and put his hand over her mouth, Mann said. He told her to stay quiet and not to make any noise. He then allegedly started to drag her toward a dumpster near a wooded area. [...]

She described the man as white, between 30 to 40 years old, dressed in all black and wearing a ski mask.

Family of man being eyed by cops over 2017 Delphi railtrack murders speak out | Daily Mail Online

A man being eyed over the unsolved unsolved murders of two teenage girls in Delphi, Indiana is 'absolutely capable' of having committed the horrific crimes, his own brother says.

Ashley Chadwell said his brother 'should be locked up and never let loose again, because he’s a monster'.

Meanwhile, Chadwell's own stepfather also told Inside Edition that his stepson could be responsible for the double murders.

'Is he capable? Probably. And you know, should they let him back out on the street? Not ever. Throw away the key this time,' he stated.

I don't find it that creepy that Libby's sister attends Purdue and that JBC liked to scope it out (I mean, I find his behavior creepy but not the coincidence that she attends there). She transferred from Ball State in order to study forensics and to be closer to family in the wake of the murders. Purdue is close to Delphi as we know. JBC lives in Lafayette so Purdue's the closest large university for what he wanted to do (check out young people and indulge his immaturity). There are over 40,000 students at Purdue IIRC. I don't think it necessarily means he was stalking her in particular. JMO

I agree.... After now reading many of JBC's exchanges with friends on his facebook page over the years..... I don't see him as the stereotypical "loser" that I jumped to in the beginning.... He made friends, and had lots of cousin exchanges that normal people have. He had lots of respect as a tat artist. Some felt they knew him well, and just "couldn't believe" what they had found out about him...

He posted an emotional post of himself as a baby, being held by him mom (also practically a baby), and another woman who was probably his grandmother. His comments were "two of the best women in the world".

I am actually thinking he really could be the smart secret serial killer type.

just rambling....moo, moo moo....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members