Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #61 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am MOST interested at what JP is saying as I’m pretty sure that most of this has not been released before now.
He’s definitely a fast talker so I slowed the playback speed to 0.75x and it helps a lot to understand what he’s saying.

At 27:50 LS asks him if BM spent Saturday night at the hotel and he says he doesn’t know and then goes on to tell what he knows about BM’s whereabouts on Saturday.

He mentions what we’ve already heard from MG about her and BM working at the riverfront work site “for a couple of hours” and BM telling her he was going to go hiking or biking with the wife.

Then JP says he saw BM around lunch time or 1:00-2:00 Saturday afternoon HERE pointing to the ground meaning the company that he and LS are standing in where JP works (DSI ) . He says BM was there getting the bucket or plate on his bobcat worked on or fixed.

JP then says that BM was down at the Spa/Stove supply store “getting some stuff” around 4, 5 or 6:00 p.m. Saturday evening according to what the owners of the store told him weeks later. He says when he mentioned chlorine to the owners they looked at each other in a way that made JP think that maybe BM had bought chlorine from them.

Hope @OldCop sees this. Would love to see his proposed timeline again and if this affects it. JMO

I turned it off because I couldn't understand a word he was saying, lol. THANK YOU for slowing it down and catching all this. Now I'll have to go listen with it slowed down as you suggested.

I understand what you’re saying, but the media attention garnered by the big search effort lasted for less than 2 weeks, then everything got pretty quiet again. There was a Christmas tree dedicated to SM, but the last vigil was barely attended. There are still a few people around Salida that don’t even know about SM missing. People get busy with their own life and go on. I noticed the msm articles about SM because I’m following her case, but not a lot of people do. Outside the true crime community & SMs hometown in IN and Salida, there’s very little written or reported on. And let’s face it, women go missing way, way too often. John Q Public is busy living life. MOO
Oh I wholeheartedly agree. Sorry if my post sounded like I was arguing that the publicity was enough for the Defense to successfully claim that it could affect the jury pool or prevent a fair trial.
IMO there are plenty of people in Chaffee County who aren’t following the case at all judging from LS and TD visiting the area and speaking to people on the street for one reason. Remember on the day of the arrest there were interviews with BM’s neighbor at the condo in Poncha Springs? He had lived there 6 months and didn’t have a clue who BM was.
So yes I agree with you and @Momofthreeboys .

IMHO the AA will be unsealed in the next week or 2.

There were several price drops, price increases, they were all over the place.
Looked like they were in a hurry, but also maybe a poor marketing plan or changing realtors.
26040 Cal Carson Rd, Arcadia, IN 46030 - realtor.com®
The failure of the IN home to sell timely probably had a huge effect on the cash needed to close CO home, not the price drop. IMHO. Had the IN home sold and closed prior to the CO move, there would be less need to borrow. I’d also wonder if BM could qualify for a jumbo mortgage considering he was starting a new business. Sometimes it’s difficult when your business isn’t established to qualify. Just my opinion and 2cents.
Screenshot attached is from the real estate link above
EBM typos from this typo Queen
They may have wanted to make an offer on the Puma Path home right away if that was the house they really wanted. Maybe there was a counter offer and they didn't want to risk losing it to another buyer. They probably didn't realize it would take so long for the Indiana home to sell.

Anyway, it might explain why Suzanne used some or all of her inheritance money to buy the home, thinking she was going to get it back once the Indiana home was sold.

If she was planning on ending the marriage, it would have been plenty of money to start a new life on her own. I imagine Barry wouldn't have liked that idea.

I turned it off because I couldn't understand a word he was saying, lol. THANK YOU for slowing it down and catching all this. Now I'll have to go listen with it slowed down as you suggested.

Did I mis-hear, or did he say he already had a job, and BM knew that, but he asked him anyway to head to Denver so he had to figure out a way to help him out? He did say that, right?

I'm sure that's what I heard but now I can't find the time stamp. Grr.

ETA: I found it and yep, that's what he said:

29:16 LS asks "so then on Sunday what time did you arrive at the hotel?"
JP responds and says he didn't get there until Sunday night, but then digresses and says that BM asked MG, to ask him to go down there and work, and then says that he was working for Jeff, and say he wonders why he'd ask him that since he already has a job.

I never really gave much credence to the idea that BM wanted JP there at the hotel, because they look alike at a distance, but now... I mean, maybe some of y'all were on to something?

Why did he specifically want JP there, when he knew JP already had a job?

Also interesting is that we were previously told that BM asked JP himself, on Saturday afternoon, to come work for him on the Broomfield job. But that's not what JP says in this interview. He did see him that afternoon, at the shop JP currently works at, but he said BM asked MG, to ask him to join the crew.

Anyway I think that's what I'm hearing him say. His accent is top shelf! :)

Last edited:
I must respectfully disagree that there has been little media coverage. Around last September when AM and PE were organizing a search and vigil, the case garnered Nationwide attention with Dateline NBC, Court TV, Good Morning America, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz ,Crime Online with Nancy Grace, People Magazine and many Denver and Indiana outlets reporting on it. JMO
There wasn't much coverage on the National News, though, other than in the beginning. There were a few interviews during Andy's search, but I don't recall any media being in the area covering the story.

Did I mis-hear, or did he say he already had a job, and BM knew that, but he asked him anyway to head to Denver so he had to figure out a way to help him out? He did say that, right?

Yes at 29:15 JP says that BM had MG ask him to work on the job and then he says that at the time he was working for Jeff (?) and that now he works for DSI. He says that Jeff was off Turkey hunting and he was trying to figure out how to get ahold of him. He says he couldn’t just go off on his own and he wondered why BM would ask him since BM knew he had a job,

Last edited:
Yes at 29:15 JP says that BM had MG ask him to work on the job and then he says that at the time he was working for Jeff (?) and that now he works for DSI. He says that he Jeff was off Turkey hunting and he was trying to figure out how to get ahold of him. He says he couldn’t just off on his own and he wondered why BM would ask him since BM knew he had a job,

Yes okay thanks for verifying I was hearing correctly. Curious, I think.

You don't offer someone a temp job when you already know they have a job.
I mean, who does that? o_O

I'm saying that to be used as evidence in court I think it would have to be proved that SM sent the text. An alternate theory might be that the real killer/kidnapper/whatever sent the text in order to frame someone.

To be clear, I'm not alleging anything or even saying I believe any of this, I'm just saying that I'm not sure a text message can hold up as evidence. Its more like hearsay. IMO

Digital signatures and syntax choices can prove that SM wrote the texts. They have a huge catalog of her word usages from previous messages, even though that phone may still be missing, the data on it was accessible to law enforcement via the cellular service provider.

I think that the texts were exchanged on Friday morning. I think that she said that she had an overwhelming feeling of dread on Saturday evening some time and so did Suzanne's friend. They feel that is when she met her demise.

I actually think that it probably was sometime after Barry left his jobsite on Saturday 'to make the wife happy.' I actually think that they had a big argument Friday night and he was hoping that he could just patch it all up on Saturday as he had always done in the past. I think that Suzanne was done and made it clear. He then killed her.

I think that Barry was seen in town by himself on Saturday. I think that Suzanne was already dead.

All just my speculation and opinion.

I want to think that, too, but he's been charged with premeditated murder. Maybe he only planned it a day in advance, but the State of Colorado believes he didn't kill her accidentally or in a fit of rage.

New video posted from Lauren Scharf - a bit of a recap with her coworker photographer from Fox
Titled : Behind the Lens: The Suzanne Morphew Case Part 1
- Interview with JP about 25 mins in

It was one piece of mail in the hotel room (not multiple pieces).

"I didn't find the piece of mail till next morning" (he was throwing something into the bathroom trash, and what he threw bounced out.)

"I seen him Saturday morning here" (at his workshop) "around lunchtime, 1, 2. He was right here getting his bucket fixed" (bobcat bucket)

"Saturday evening, it was between 4 and 5, 6, he was down there getting some stuff" (JP had spoken with the people with the fireplace)

"Oh I didn't get there till Sunday night" (the hotel)
"I was working with Jeff .. so why would you ask me when you know I got a job"
"I called Barry and said 'do you need me there'? He said yep"

"He paid me, he paid all three of us"

Did the towels smell like chlorine? "No, the room, the room did"
"Weeks later I was talking to the people with the fireplace, they must have bought chlorine, I'm just guessing"
Something about Barry being there, then "When I mixed chlorine for them, they kind of looked at each other" (the fireplace people, and BM) "So they sound like he must have bought chlorine there"

He went home Tuesday lunchtime, after doing the best they could do on the wall without more tools.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree. Sorry if my post sounded like I was arguing that the publicity was enough for the Defense to successfully claim that it could affect the jury pool or prevent a fair trial.
IMO there are plenty of people in Chaffee County who aren’t following the case at all judging from LS and TD visiting the area and speaking to people on the street for one reason. Remember on the day of the arrest there were interviews with BM’s neighbor at the condo in Poncha Springs? He had lived there 6 months and didn’t have a clue who BM was.
So yes I agree with you and @Momofthreeboys .

IMHO the AA will be unsealed in the next week or 2.
No, your post didn’t sound argumentative at all! . It was a very nice post and as your usual, very informative. I never thought it was argumentative in any way! All good! MOO

I guess Barry didn’t spend much time at home “making the wife happy” after he left the beach. And he must have lied to LE about when he did the mechanical thing to the bobcat. He boxed himself into a timeline with LE that they know is a lie.

But there is relatively zero evidence in main stream media. It is fairly easy to go back. I would hazard a guess that people watching Nancy Grace is fairly small and the jury won’t be coming from Indiana or even Denver. I will be surprised if they look for a change of venue.

ETA: I found it and yep, that's what he said:

29:16 LS asks "so then on Sunday what time did you arrive at the hotel?"
JP responds and says he didn't get there until Sunday night, but then digresses and says that BM asked MG, to ask him to go down there and work, and then says that he was working for Jeff, and say he wonders why he'd ask him that since he already has a job.

I never really gave much credence to the idea that BM wanted JP there at the hotel, because they look alike at a distance, but now... I mean, maybe some of y'all were on to something?

Why did he specifically want JP there, when he knew JP already had a job?

Also interesting is that we were previously told that BM asked JP himself, on Saturday afternoon, to come work for him on the Broomfield job. But that's not what JP says in this interview. He did see him that afternoon, at the shop JP currently works at, but he said BM asked MG, to ask him to join the crew.

Anyway I think that's what I'm hearing him say. His accent is top shelf! :)
Perhaps he wanted a guy on the job since maybe it was just too big of a job for just he and MG.

I guess Barry didn’t spend much time at home “making the wife happy” after he left the beach. And he must have lied to LE about when he did the mechanical thing to the bobcat. He boxed himself into a timeline with LE that they know is a lie.
And it could have innocuous on Saturday noon that he stopped to work on his equipment. So now there is a couple hour gap in the afternoon between the shop and when he was in town making a purchase. Still a gap just a smaller gap.

Maybe Barry wanted all the witnesses there he could get to support his alibi.

Yes, what if no-one had found that piece of mail in the bathroom trash. Before the trash was removed by housekeeping.
And maybe the hotel didn't have CCTV to show BM's comings and goings?
JP mentioned something about some tools being in the hotel foyer ... "from last year". (He is not easy to understand, even when slowed down)

Though I sometimes wonder if BM wanted his witnesses away from the home area, so the police couldn't talk to them right away (or maybe ever). Being that he had the bobcat bucket fixed on Saturday at JPs, and had Morgan call JP to go to work on Sunday. Why didn't he ask JP himself when he saw him on Saturday?

Last edited:
And it could have innocuous on Saturday noon that he stopped to work on his equipment. So now there is a couple hour gap in the afternoon between the shop and when he was in town making a purchase. Still a gap just a smaller gap.

I actually wonder if that is the 3½ hours that Andy said are 'missing'. (unaccounted for)

Between the bobcat bucket repair, and the visit with the fireplace people.

Last edited:
It was one piece of mail in the hotel room (not multiple pieces).

"I didn't find the piece of mail till next morning" (he was throwing something into the bathroom trash, and what he threw bounced out.)

"I seen him Saturday morning here" (at his workshop) "around lunchtime, 1, 2. He was right here getting his bucket fixed" (bobcat bucket)

"Saturday evening, it was between 4 and 5, 6, he was down there getting some stuff" (JP had spoken with the people with the fireplace)

"Oh I didn't get there till Sunday night" (the hotel)
"I was working with Jeff .. so why would you ask me when you know I got a job"
"I called Barry and said 'do you need me there'? He said yep"

"He paid me, he paid all three of us"

Did the towels smell like chlorine? "No, the room, the room did"
"Weeks later I was talking to the people with the fireplace, they must have bought chlorine, I'm just guessing"
Something about Barry being there, then "When I mixed chlorine for them, they kind of looked at each other" (the fireplace people, and BM) "So they sound like he must have bought chlorine there"

He went home Tuesday lunchtime, after doing the best they could do on the wall without more tools.

I got the impression he (JP) said that when he mentioned chlorine, to the fireplace & spa folks, they both looked at each other with an odd expression, the way you might do if you were maybe thinking "how in the world did he know BM bought chlorine from us that night?"

Anyone else hear it that way?

I got the impression he (JP) said that when he mentioned chlorine, to the fireplace & spa folks, they both looked at each other with an odd expression, the way you might do if you were maybe thinking "how in the world did he know BM bought chlorine from us that night?"

Anyone else hear it that way?
That’s the way I hear it, but maybe my “ears” are “expecting” to hear it that way. I can’t pretend I’m not bias. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member