CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
““What would be revealed might well cause inconvenience and perhaps embarrassment, but it has not been shown that it would strike at their biographical core in a way that would undermine their control over the expression of their identities,” Kasirer wrote.

The information “will reveal something” about the relationship between the late Shermans and the trustees and beneficiaries, some of whom might bear family names other than Sherman, Kasirer wrote.”

Supreme Court unseals Barry and Honey Sherman estate files, paves way for access in Toronto Star legal win

I find that interesting. It was previously mentioned in a factum of the SCC case:

“The Sealed Materials contain, among other personal information, the full names and home addresses of the Affected Individuals, including minors. The Sealed Materials also provide a link between certain of the Affected Individuals and the Shermans which would not otherwise be apparent.”
https://www.scc-csc.ca/WebDocuments...man-and-the-Trustees-of-the-Estate-et-al..pdf

I won’t say who, so I dont get kicked out, but I think it was a hit paid for in bitcoins.
Bitcoin seems to be a popular method of payment for hitmen, fwiw, imo.
A few of them listed
Dark Web Hitman Paid $12,000 In Bitcoin To Attack An Enel Exec’s Ex-Girlfriend With Acid, Say Police
''A 40-year-old Italian man was caught paying a dark web hitman €10,000 ($12,000) in cryptocurrency to assault an ex-girlfriend with acid and to put her in a wheelchair, according to Europol and Italian police.

That man, according to local reporting, was Tommaso Girotti, who was an executive in charge of a digital branch of the $100 billion energy giant Enel that covered health and safety, services and security.''

Europol confirmed the unidentified woman was not harmed as one of its agents was able to trace the payment and identify the hitman’s client before any hit took place''
Man accused of paying hitman $20,000 in Bitcoin to murder his child abuse victim
''A New Jersey man is accused of seeking to hire a hitman on the dark web in order to kill a boy he had abused.''

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...paid-80000-for-a-hitman-the-hitman-was-a-cop/
''The government says that Ross William Ulbricht, the alleged founder of the Bitcoin drug market Silk Road, tried to pay to have two different people killed in the last year. The second attempted murder was described in a criminal complaint unsealed by the government earlier today. But the government says that was preceded by another murder attempt, whose details are described in an indictment just published by the Baltimore Sun.

According to the government, Ulbricht was duped: the man who arranged the first "murder" was really an undercover police officer.''

Bitcoin seems to be a popular method of payment for hitmen, fwiw, imo.
A few of them listed
Dark Web Hitman Paid $12,000 In Bitcoin To Attack An Enel Exec’s Ex-Girlfriend With Acid, Say Police
''A 40-year-old Italian man was caught paying a dark web hitman €10,000 ($12,000) in cryptocurrency to assault an ex-girlfriend with acid and to put her in a wheelchair, according to Europol and Italian police.

That man, according to local reporting, was Tommaso Girotti, who was an executive in charge of a digital branch of the $100 billion energy giant Enel that covered health and safety, services and security.''

Europol confirmed the unidentified woman was not harmed as one of its agents was able to trace the payment and identify the hitman’s client before any hit took place''
Man accused of paying hitman $20,000 in Bitcoin to murder his child abuse victim
''A New Jersey man is accused of seeking to hire a hitman on the dark web in order to kill a boy he had abused.''

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...paid-80000-for-a-hitman-the-hitman-was-a-cop/
''The government says that Ross William Ulbricht, the alleged founder of the Bitcoin drug market Silk Road, tried to pay to have two different people killed in the last year. The second attempted murder was described in a criminal complaint unsealed by the government earlier today. But the government says that was preceded by another murder attempt, whose details are described in an indictment just published by the Baltimore Sun.

According to the government, Ulbricht was duped: the man who arranged the first "murder" was really an undercover police officer.''
I thought they would be more expensive, wonder if you pay double for two.

Barry Sherman’s will divided his estate among Barry and Honey’s four kids when they reach 35 years of age
''Honey Sherman had no will. Barry had two. Most of the slain billionaire’s estate is wrapped up in his private companies and, so, documents unsealed by a court Friday list assets of just $124 million.

That was what the judge who sealed the Sherman estate files in 2018 referred to in open court as “chump change” for wealthy people like the Shermans. Barry was the founder and owner of Apotex, a generic pharmaceutical giant. His wife Honey was, like Barry, a well known philanthropist.''

The Supreme Court has ruled to unseal files related to the murder of Barry and Honey Sherman - ON Point with Alex Pierson - Omny.fm
published Jun 11, 2021 9:41 PM
''Alex talks with Kevin Donovan, the Chief Investigative Reporter for the Toronto Star about the mass amount of files that have been unsealed by the Supreme Court regarding the Sherman murder case. So finally after over 3.5 years, we may finally get some answers.''

Barry Sherman’s will divided his estate among Barry and Honey’s four kids when they reach 35 years of age
''Honey Sherman had no will. Barry had two. Most of the slain billionaire’s estate is wrapped up in his private companies and, so, documents unsealed by a court Friday list assets of just $124 million.

That was what the judge who sealed the Sherman estate files in 2018 referred to in open court as “chump change” for wealthy people like the Shermans. Barry was the founder and owner of Apotex, a generic pharmaceutical giant. His wife Honey was, like Barry, a well known philanthropist.''

The Supreme Court has ruled to unseal files related to the murder of Barry and Honey Sherman - ON Point with Alex Pierson - Omny.fm
published Jun 11, 2021 9:41 PM
''Alex talks with Kevin Donovan, the Chief Investigative Reporter for the Toronto Star about the mass amount of files that have been unsealed by the Supreme Court regarding the Sherman murder case. So finally after over 3.5 years, we may finally get some answers.''

This is behind a paywall, but I think we all remember this older article:Honey Sherman had a will she updated shortly before billionaire couple slain, confidant reveals

The article said the family couldn’t find a will for Honey, but a ‘service provider’ that worked for Honey said she spoke of having one. Quote from article:

“According to comments made by Honey before she died, she did have a will.

Roughly a week after the Nov. 13, 2017, birth of the Sherman couple’s third grandchild, Honey told one of her confidants she had just that day “updated” her will at a lawyer’s office.

“Honey and I were talking and she said meet me at Yonge and St. Clair Avenue. She said she was just coming from her lawyer’s office and she had just updated her will. She had done some amendments,” the confidant told the Star. “Honey said she wanted me to first go with her to Loblaws to get those frozen croissants from Ace Bakery that she liked, then we would go to her home.”

The Star has agreed not to identify the person — we will refer to the person as one of Honey’s service providers — due to the individual’s concern for safety. The person provided a regular service to Honey in her home for several years and the two had regular conversations during these times.

The service provider gave this information to the Toronto homicide squad shortly after the murders.”

If Honey didn’t have a will, would everything she owned automatically go to Barry, so they just use his will to dispense the wealth? Or would Honey’s estate get divided equally among her kids and Barry’s estate get divided according to his will?

Why did the family want this will to remain secret? Did they not want their addresses disclosed? Or is there something more. Did Barry have another child that no one knew about? Were we to assume that when it said he left everything to his kids, that there were just 4? By making the will public will we find out that there were more?

This is behind a paywall, but I think we all remember this older article:Honey Sherman had a will she updated shortly before billionaire couple slain, confidant reveals

The article said the family couldn’t find a will for Honey, but a ‘service provider’ that worked for Honey said she spoke of having one. Quote from article:

“According to comments made by Honey before she died, she did have a will.

Roughly a week after the Nov. 13, 2017, birth of the Sherman couple’s third grandchild, Honey told one of her confidants she had just that day “updated” her will at a lawyer’s office.

“Honey and I were talking and she said meet me at Yonge and St. Clair Avenue. She said she was just coming from her lawyer’s office and she had just updated her will. She had done some amendments,” the confidant told the Star. “Honey said she wanted me to first go with her to Loblaws to get those frozen croissants from Ace Bakery that she liked, then we would go to her home.”

The Star has agreed not to identify the person — we will refer to the person as one of Honey’s service providers — due to the individual’s concern for safety. The person provided a regular service to Honey in her home for several years and the two had regular conversations during these times.

The service provider gave this information to the Toronto homicide squad shortly after the murders.”

If she made some amendments, that must mean she had a will. But evidently no will could be found. Assuming a lawyer had drafted her existing will, I assume that lawyer would have gone to LE to tell them he/she had drafted or was in possession of a will. So I have to conclude KD’s reporting that she had a will was incorrect. If HS had told this person she had made amendments, why would she lie about that? So I have to assume HS friend is either mistaken, or made the story up.

If Honey didn’t have a will, would everything she owned automatically go to Barry, so they just use his will to dispense the wealth? Or would Honey’s estate get divided equally among her kids and Barry’s estate get divided according to his will?

Why did the family want this will to remain secret? Did they not want their addresses disclosed? Or is there something more. Did Barry have another child that no one knew about? Were we to assume that when it said he left everything to his kids, that there were just 4? By making the will public will we find out that there were more?

Who knows. It would take anyone about 15 mins For someone to find any of their addresses on the internet. To me the whole SCC appeal was a complete waste of time and resources. The only good thing to come out of it was further clarity on the open court system.

If she made some amendments, that must mean she had a will. But evidently no will could be found. Assuming a lawyer had drafted her existing will, I assume that lawyer would have gone to LE to tell them he/she had drafted or was in possession of a will. So I have to conclude KD’s reporting that she had a will was incorrect. If HS had told this person she had made amendments, why would she lie about that? So I have to assume HS friend is either mistaken, or made the story up.

The person went into so many details and some of them can be verified by the police. (The purchase, for example. And Honey had to have parked. They must have been caught on CCTV if true.)

If it’s not true, the question becomes why lie about it. Why go to Donovan with the story?

The other possibility is that she had discussed the will, ordered the documents drawn up but she hadn’t yet signed them.

I have a question: would her visit be privileged? Are lawyers allowed to say ‘this person visited me for this purpose’ prior to their deaths?

I know the police can request and receive health records, including doctor’s notes, with the proper warrants.

I would have thought the same thing might apply to lawyers, but look at what happened at Barry’s office and his electronic devices after the murders. The police didn’t have immediate, unfettered access.

The person went into so many details and some of them can be verified by the police. (The purchase, for example. And Honey had to have parked. They must have been caught on CCTV if true.)

If it’s not true, the question becomes why lie about it. Why go to Donovan with the story?

The other possibility is that she had discussed the will, ordered the documents drawn up but she hadn’t yet signed them.

I have a question: would her visit be privileged? Are lawyers allowed to say ‘this person visited me for this purpose’ prior to their deaths?

I know the police can request and receive health records, including doctor’s notes, with the proper warrants.

I would have thought the same thing might apply to lawyers, but look at what happened at Barry’s office and his electronic devices after the murders. The police didn’t have immediate, unfettered access.

I thought about the possibility that she ordered the documents drawn up. But the person was clear that HS said these were “anendments”. So I conclude she must have had an existing will that was being amended. If so, where is the will?

surely, some lawyer would know if she ever did a will.............

I think the real question is whether BS was planning to amend his will, to possibly change the amounts he left, and to whom. IIRC there were rumblings that he was considering material changes to his will. Instead of these changes being made, his existing will took effect on his death.

I asked an associate of mine who is now retired but used to be an estate/corporate lawyer, if a person, say, such as HS, were to have gone to have a will drawn up, or updated, and then was subsequently murdered, and all over the news about 'missing will', etc.,... surely the lawyer would contact police... he said the lawyer would contact the estate trustees.

Which is kind of awkward, imho, because.. what if... say, one of the estate trustees was involved in the death somehow, and what if, by chance, that lawyer happened to contact the wrong trustee.. (ie that particular trustee kept that info to him/herself, since he/she was involved).

I didn't ask him what if said new/amended will had been drafted but not yet signed. And nor did I think to ask him if this type of thing in this type of circumstance would fall under whatever 'privilege' laws exist between lawyer and client. I hesitate to ask him anything again, because he thinks I'm obsessed with this case. My perspective is.. how could anyone NOT be obsessed with wanting this case solved?? imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea