Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
And...
Who organized the camping trip?
Why were you running late on Mother's Day?
Why weren't any of you planning to be home on Mother's Day?
When was your last conversation either by phone or in person with your mom?
Why did you have the neighbor call the police?
Had you ever witnessed your mom and dad arguing?
On and on.
I think the AA will be a shock and hard for them but I agree testifying will be an emotional train wreck.

The prosecutor’s time is now running. They had to have had their information organized and ready to move forward with his prosecution. I think all of us will be surprised with the amount of evidence against BM that they have prepared. Unfortunately, it’s always the children who suffer the most.

Just want to mention ....

In the Karen Ristevski case/murder, Karen had told someone on the phone (overheard by her stepson) that she was going to leave her husband when their daughter turned 21. (Could something like this have been part of Suzanne's message to her sister?)

Their daughter turned 21 and Karen was murdered. A few short months before Karen was murdered, and after the daughter turned 21, her husband removed Karen from the Directorship of their company ... and installed the daughter instead.

There are things in Suzanne's case that may indicate premeditation. Things we are yet to hear about. imo

Last edited:
where did the best friend live? The sister lived in TN, two hours time differrence. The GF may have been a different time zone. That is relevent as SM was communicating with two people who may have been on totally different time schedules. Timelines are quite relevent.

Best friend is in IN, I believe.

Small correction but an important one. Respectfully done by me to keep the only details we know accurate:

The text exchange was Friday the 8th NOT Saturday the 9th.

Also in the video shared above, (thank you) Lauren admits she received threats during investigating. 1:00:40. That's a new detail.

In the transcript, MM says she replied on Saturday the 9th and then SM replied back. That is what happened at 9:30am MT.

The original text from SM was on Friday the 8th but MM said she wanted time to pray about her response and then sent it the following morning.

In the transcript, MM says she replied on Saturday the 9th and then SM replied back. That is what happened at 9:30am MT.

The original text from SM was on Friday the 8th but MM said she wanted time to pray about her response and then sent it the following morning.

I am in no way trying to be argumentative. If I have this wrong, please point me to the transcript to which you are referring. The transcript I posted said Friday the 8th and she deleted the text, but before doing so immediately text back. I didn't see anything with the exception of her terrible intuitive feeling on Saturday. Posted below again.

and i decided i would delete that text
83:17
and but
83:18
before i did i had texted her
83:20
immediately back
83:21
and i had said to her i need to pray
83:23
about this because i want to respond
83:25
correctly

If texting with a close friend whose child was soon to be married; one who was sharing wedding details such as the fine tuxedo to be worn by the groom, the gorgeous wedding gown, delicate flower bouquets and all the happiness generated by sharing the special plans, then there'd be no way whatsoever that I'd interject any sorrows over my own marriage. Not one word of woe, fear, or unpleasantness would be written. I would expect Suzanne was centered and focused on her friend's joy and none of her own problems.

I believe the dear IN friend was alarmed that their delightful discussion abruptly ended without explanation.

Switching topics, a possible solution when facing the Prosecutor as a witness is to answer questions with: "I don't know. I don't recall. I don't remember." Even when faced with their own statements to Investigators, a protective child may say that they can't recall making those statements to questions that may implicate their father.

Given the gravity of the situation, and probability of PTSD raising it's ugly head, who can blame them for trying not to remember the painful traumatic past moments when learning of losing a mother to murder that's further augmented that their father is being accused of committing?

Going to be a long, hot summer as we await the release of the AA.
OMHO

ModNote:
The thread is now open.

As a reminder:

-Be sure the source you are referencing is approved for WS before bringing it into a discussion. If you are unsure if the source is approved, please use the “Report” link in any post to bring your question to a member of the team.

-Include links to information being presented as “Fact” in your post. If a link is included from the get go, sources can be more quickly identified and potentially avoid a temporary thread closure for broader clean-up.

Thanks Everyone!

Last edited:
I am in no way trying to be argumentative. If I have this wrong, please point me to the transcript to which you are referring. The transcript I posted said Friday the 8th and she deleted the text, but before doing so immediately text back. I didn't see anything with the exception of her terrible intuitive feeling on Saturday. Posted below again.

and i decided i would delete that text
83:17
and but
83:18
before i did i had texted her
83:20
immediately back
83:21
and i had said to her i need to pray
83:23
about this because i want to respond
83:25
correctly

you’re right. I was reading the transcript incorrectly. When MM went on talking about how hard Saturday was for her, I mistook that for the day she responded.

My bad. Cheers.

Last edited:
you’re right. I was reading the transcript I correctly. When MM went on talking about how hard Saturday was for her, I mistook that for the day she responded.

My bad. Cheers.

No worries. It's confusing and i'm sorry my post wasn't clearer. I have latched on to that because I feel IMO something very significant transpired Friday night... We will see.

Thank you for clarifying.

No worries. It's confusing and i'm sorry my post wasn't clearer. I have latched on to that because I feel IMO something very significant transpired Friday night... We will see.

Thank you for clarifying.

Yeah, always good to be working off a single set of facts, so good catch.

I’m always looking to connect dots with what we’ve heard in the past year. Sometimes to a fault.

The daughters can, and likely have hired an atty to handle the AA...i.e read, process and vett it....to provide them with what they need to know....pertinance info. That filter would be very beneficial to them.

I wonder who would be paying for that.

BM ... because he wants them to know what is in the AA and hear independent advice about that?

BM's family ... because they are going to somehow help the girls and (presumably) help BM?

Suzanne's family ... as we are not sure that the girls have yet turned to them for help?

I don't imagine that they can get free Legal Aid, as they are not the people who have been charged with anything.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am a little concerned that the girls may be financially struggling at the moment - unless their father is reserving money for them and not sinking everything into his defense fund.

Last edited:
I am speaking of the 5th amendment of the US constitution (and the reason we have Miranda rights). A person's own words cannot be used against them except under specific circumstances. State recording rights have nothing to do with it.

“Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.” That’s anything you say to anyone ever - your best friend, the guy at the pub, that anonymous post you put on Reddit - anything. Not just to the police. Cops will investigate you, ask friends, family, coworkers, people you’ve encountered, search your social media, looking for confessions, clues, and inconsistencies. You brought up the police recording people so I stated the one-party consent rule for Colorado.

Yes, police can lie to you, it doesn’t fall under coercion. They can tell you they have evidence against you even if they don’t. They can tell you someone else gave up information on you so you might as well confess even if that’s not true. They can approach you pretending to be friendly or a potential business or dating partner when they’re really undercover and want information from you.

The Fifth Amendment means you don’t have to talk if you don’t want to and as the defendant you can’t be compelled to testify at trial if you don’t want to. You have the right to remain silent, but if you do speak - to anyone, even if they lie to you - it can be used against you.

Last edited:
Well, I'm surprised that a number of you think it's possible that killing Suzanne was Barry's first act of physical violence.

Also, you'd be surprised how people react when you tell them about DV. Many of us do choose someone whom we see rarely, and the last thing we want is for that person to become overly involved.

It's very hard for me to believe a scenario in which Barry, never violent before, suddenly looses it and suffocates or strangles Suzanne.

And it is my strong opinion that neither of the daughters were living in the parental home at the time. I believe PE reported about this. I also think that Suzanne's very good friend in Indiana will substantiate this at trial. IMO. Strong hunch.
It's possible that Barry physically harmed her before, we just can't be sure until we see the evidence. Some people can be emotionally abusive towards their partners without ever physically laying a hand on them. There is not always a history of violence in intimate-partner homicide.

We know he did eventually become violent, and it tragically ended in murder. What happened in the days before the murder is still a mystery.

“Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.” That’s anything you say to anyone ever - your best friend, the guy at the pub, that anonymous post you put on Reddit - anything. Not just to the police. Cops will investigate you, ask friends, family, coworkers, people you’ve encountered, search your social media, looking for confessions, clues, and inconsistencies. You brought up recordings so I stated the one-party consent rule for Colorado.

Yes, police can lie to you, it doesn’t fall under coercion. They can tell you they have evidence against you even if they don’t. They can tell you someone else gave up information on you so you might as well confess even if that’s not true. They can approach you pretending to be friendly or a potential dating partner when they’re really undercover and want information from you.

The Fifth Amendment means you don’t have to talk if you don’t want to and as the defendant you can’t be compelled to testify at trial if you don’t want to. You have the right to remain silent, but if you speak - to anyone, even if they lie to you - it can be used against you.

I actually like that one-party consent rule, and wish that we had it here.
There have been many times that I have thought "yeah, like that obvious murderer/assailant is going to say anything incriminating when they know they are being recorded".

“Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.” That’s anything you say to anyone ever - your best friend, the guy at the pub, that anonymous post you put on Reddit - anything. Not just to the police. Cops will investigate you, ask friends, family, coworkers, people you’ve encountered, search your social media, looking for confessions, clues, and inconsistencies. You brought up the police recording people so I stated the one-party consent rule for Colorado.

Yes, police can lie to you, it doesn’t fall under coercion. They can tell you they have evidence against you even if they don’t. They can tell you someone else gave up information on you so you might as well confess even if that’s not true. They can approach you pretending to be friendly or a potential business or dating partner when they’re really undercover and want information from you.

The Fifth Amendment means you don’t have to talk if you don’t want to and as the defendant you can’t be compelled to testify at trial if you don’t want to. You have the right to remain silent, but if you do speak - to anyone, even if they lie to you - it can be used against you.
I always thought "Anything you say can and will be used against you," meant from here on, while the suspect is questioned while in custody, to ensure their statements will be admissible in court.

But yes, police can lie to a suspect, but there are probably limits, depending on the circumstances. Imo

Yes, that's the Miranda ruling. And many a statement has been thrown out of court because the defendant was not apprised of their rights. They typically are read out, at the arrest.

But pre-arrest? One still has rights. What you're basically saying is that it will be LE officers who testify to what they heard Barry say. Presumably, that's what's in the AA

And the defense is already gearing up for a "cops had it in for Barry" defense, and if there's no one else who heard Barry say any of those things, I wonder how the jury will view it.

As to whether it is considered coercion if police lie, I believe court judgments have differed. I am not nearly as confident as you are that lying police have been considered good witnesses at trial.

If they didn't Mirandize Barry (and they wouldn't have, as he was not arrested), I simply hope that they indicated the purpose of the investigation (as the Supreme Court of the US has ruled necessary in cases of LE testifying using words spoken as confession before the advisement of rights).

Check out the Miranda case - it still stands. From Wikipedia:

//Thus, if law enforcement officials decline to offer a Miranda warning to an individual in their custody, they may interrogate that person and act upon the knowledge gained, but may not use that person's statements as evidence against them in a criminal trial.//

The number of statements thrown out of court on this basis is not insignificant. All of the statements can be used in the AA - but just as the Judge stated, some of the things in the AA will not be admissible.

And I wonder why. Did they Mirandize him? If not, then they can't use his answers at trial. If they did, then Barry is much more arrogant and/or stupid than I realized.

Again, a brief summary of Wikipedia (if they didn't Mirandize him):

//Assuming that a Miranda violation occurred—the six factors are present and no exception applies—the statement will be subject to suppression under the Miranda exclusionary rule.[Note 15] That is, if the defendant objects or files a motion to suppress, the exclusionary rule would prohibit the prosecution from offering the statement as proof of guilt. However, the statement can be used to impeach the defendant's testimony.[Note 16] Further, the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine does not apply to Miranda violations.[Note 17] Therefore, the exclusionary rule exceptions, attenuation, independent source and inevitable discovery, do not come into play, and derivative evidence would be fully admissible. For example, suppose the police continue with a custodial interrogation after the suspect has asserted his right to silence. During his post-assertion statement the suspect tells the police the location of the gun he used in the murder. Using this information the police find the gun. Forensic testing identifies the gun as the murder weapon, and fingerprints lifted from the gun match the suspect's. The contents of the Miranda-defective statement could not be offered by the prosecution as substantive evidence, but the gun itself and all related forensic evidence could be used as evidence at trial.//

I think we may see some motions of this type, in this situation. Unless of course, he was read his rights (which should have given him paused and made him realize he was...in formal custody/under arrest; should have caused him to bring in a lawyer!)...

I would be interested to know just how much time LE actually questioned BM. We know it wasn't 30 hours. We also know that at some point he either lawyered up and stopped talking...or just stopped talking. A deputy alluded to his "lack of cooperation" in talking to Andy....but I am curious just how much or how little Barry participated in an interview. His interview responses are going to be a critical piece of prosecution evidence. If he lied to Andy, Lauren, etc...then he also had to lie to LE.

My best guess is that 3 30 is actually three and a half hours.

If your Miranda rights should have been read after you’ve been taken into custody and weren’t, then what you say might be thrown out.

But anything he says while out in the wild, even to an undercover cop lying to him, can potentially be used against him. Police are allowed to lie during interrogations.

Criminal Arrests and Interrogations FAQ

How would that work for the TD recording when BM asked him to put away the recording device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge