Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have considered this possibility too, not related to the text sent to MM, but now that makes sense too, but when police asked for people that have spoken to SM on the social apps to come forward I suspected that was directed at a male friend. I truly don't think that makes SM a bad person in any way. I think her marriage was in shambles, BM was probably cheating, she was planning to leave, she was probably very lonely. Regardless, its not an excuse to murder someone or a reason to be murdered. Jmo

MOO, SM would have been terrified to cheat on BM. She may have wanted to, but I bet was scared to death of the consequences.

Also, going through a second bout of chemo/treatment, was probably a lot on her physically and mentally and I doubt an affair would happen.

I may be misunderstanding what type of lying on the part of LE you’re talking about but LE lie to suspects all the time. They tell them they have witnesses, evidence that doesn’t exist, information they don’t really have, etc. Miranda should be read, understood and acknowledged before every interview. I don’t believe LE can lie and misrepresent who they are. They can’t tell a suspect they’re an attorney or otherwise portray themselves as anyone other than LE. They can’t make empty promises, such as, “Tell me what happened and we’ll let you go home,” or “If you’re honest, we won’t prosecute.”

JMO

Yes.
I sometimes watch a lot of true crime shows. LE frequently tell a suspect that "Jimmy is in the other room spilling his guts, and you know who he is pointing the finger at, don't you?" When Jimmy is not spilling his guts at all. LE are telling Jimmy the exact same thing.

This is all done after Miranda, and while being recorded in an interview room. At the end of the shows they usually tell us what sentence has been put on the perp(s). So the cases are not thrown out or diminished due to these LE mis-truths.

Last edited:
We may we dealing with creme of the crap here. TD was instrumental in getting people involved and keeping the case in the public eye. Not sure either is of stellar character, it's just which is worse? Definitely BM, we know he only lies if his lips are moving.

I have to utterly disagree with his usefulness in this case from both a legal viewpoint and a factual, true crime follower viewpoint. I'm not at all a fan when random (unprofessional) civilians insert themselves into a criminal investigation. No thanks.

jmo

Has anyone considered the possibility of BM using a 55 gallon metal drum or a blue barrel to disappear SM? It appears that BM might have moved her remains at least once. SM would be easier to move if she was in a sealed container.

Rough outline of possible scenario (using blue barrel for example).

Murder SM at home.
Put her or her dissected remains in a blue barrel.
Pick up barrel with remains with the BobCat. Load BobCat on trailer
Take it all to Salida construction site.
Use a mortar mixer at the site to mix up small batch of concrete and encase SM(in barrel) in the concrete.
-might explain the mysterious construction sounds in the middle of the night. Mortar Mixer might have kicked off air compressor causing the noise.
Dispose of blue barrel.
Clean BobCat

It is speculated the barrel method was used by Drew Peterson to disappear his 4th wife Stacy. She has never been found.
Drew Peterson’s ex-fiancee uses TV interview to reveal what she says happened to his missing 4th wife, Stacy

Blue Barrel in Peterson Case 'Warm to Touch'

JMO, MOO

ETA - Pool/Spa chemicals can come in 55 gallon blue barrels
https://www.amazon.com/Chloro-Guard-Chlorine-chlorine-concentrated-bacteria-55/dp/B07BH4HHB1

Last edited:
MOO, SM would have been terrified to cheat on BM. She may have wanted to, but I bet was scared to death of the consequences.

Also, going through a second bout of chemo/treatment, was probably a lot on her physically and mentally and I doubt an affair would happen.

Just to be clear:

I do not think SM ever did anything that would be considered "cheating". I think she fought for her life, alone. Under duress by a brow beating, controlling, temper-mental and domineering man. All of which was done away from her family under over dramatized issues by said same man.

Possibly, just someone being kind, caring and empathetic and compassionate helped her see a light out.

Even if she had, it in no way rationalizes or justifies his behavior. I think this coupled with tremendous financial pressures caused BM to step off the deep end. I think SM found some information out that would damage his image and cost him in myriad ways. IMO he also didn't believe this case would garner the attention it has.

JMO

Has anyone considered the possibility of BM using a 55 gallon metal drum or a blue barrel to disappear SM? It appears that BM might have moved her remains at least once. SM would be easier to move if she was in a sealed container.

Rough outline of possible scenario (using blue barrel for example).

Murder SM at home.
Put her or her dissected remains in a blue barrel.
Pick up barrel with remains with the BobCat. Load BobCat on trailer
Take it all to Salida construction site.
Use a mortar mixer at the site to mix up small batch of concrete and encase SM(in barrel) in the concrete.
-might explain the mysterious construction sounds in the middle of the night. Mortar Mixer might have kicked off air compressor causing the noise.
Dispose of blue barrel.
Clean BobCat

It is speculated the barrel method was used by Drew Peterson to disappear his 4th wife Stacy. She has never been found.
Drew Peterson’s ex-fiancee uses TV interview to reveal what she says happened to his missing 4th wife, Stacy

Blue Barrel in Peterson Case 'Warm to Touch'

JMO, MOO

Sheila von Wiese-Mack was stuffed in a suitcase. A small boned person can be moved around in many different types of containers, that's for sure.

Well, I'm surprised that a number of you think it's possible that killing Suzanne was Barry's first act of physical violence.

Also, you'd be surprised how people react when you tell them about DV. Many of us do choose someone whom we see rarely, and the last thing we want is for that person to become overly involved.

It's very hard for me to believe a scenario in which Barry, never violent before, suddenly looses it and suffocates or strangles Suzanne.

And it is my strong opinion that neither of the daughters were living in the parental home at the time. I believe PE reported about this. I also think that Suzanne's very good friend in Indiana will substantiate this at trial. IMO. Strong hunch.

I agree, DV can very easily begin with a slight push, then escalate to a shove, a hit. Once a person crosses the first line, the next step gets easier and sadly more dangerous. I have changed my thinking after finding out it was SM who wanted to move, not premeditated by BM. Perhaps it even caused him more resentment for leaving his hometown where he was well known, a steady build up. Maybe with the girls close by the abuse was lesser but then I can't image both standing by him knowing he was very abusive to their mother. All IMO

I can't think of anything either. I think BM would have been consistent with what he told LE when he spoke to Tyson, as far as the time he left and the "plan" for the day.

What may be important is that BM kept pushing the cat theory when he knew as a big game hunter that it was not only unfeasible but that it was lubricious.

Just to be clear:

I do not think SM ever did anything that would be considered "cheating". I think she fought for her life, alone. Under duress by a brow beating, controlling, temper-mental and domineering man. All of which was done away from her family under over dramatized issues by said same man.

Possibly, just someone being kind, caring and empathetic and compassionate helped her see a light out.

Even if she had, it in no way rationalizes or justifies his behavior. I think this coupled with tremendous financial pressures caused BM to step off the deep end. I think SM found some information out that would damage his image and cost him in myriad ways. IMO he also didn't believe this case would garner the attention it has.

JMO

She might have found a compassionate person who listened to her and offered to help her get away from Barry. She was involved in domestic abuse meetings according to Andy. I've often wondered if it was those people in those meetings who were afraid to come forward, lest their abusers find out. I think this could have happened to Suzanne because I'm convinced Barry bugged her phone and listened to her phone conversations and read all of her texts. If she did find someone who filled an emotional void in her life so be it. I wouldn't blame her in the least. Her husband is a rabid animal who needs to be put down.

JMO

Well, I'm surprised that a number of you think it's possible that killing Suzanne was Barry's first act of physical violence.

I don't. And, I think it happened many times before. I also think the girls had seen him abuse their mother. Because they were out of the house,<Modsnip> , it was easier for Barry to physically abuse Suzanne. They lived out in the middle of nowhere. Nobody was ever around.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
She might have found a compassionate person who listened to her and offered to help her get away from Barry. She was involved in domestic abuse meetings according to Andy. I've often wondered if it was those people in those meetings who were afraid to come forward, lest their abusers find out. I think this could have happened to Suzanne because I'm convinced Barry bugged her phone and listened to her phone conversations and read all of her texts. If she did find someone who filled an emotional void in her life so be it. I wouldn't blame her in the least. Her husband is a rabid animal who needs to be put down.

JMO
bbm
Indeed, and more than a rabid animal.
An unspeakable monster who is being charged with murder in the first with deliberation.
This is telling as it sounds like Barry had time to back away and think about what he was doing.
It's going to be interesting to read the AA, for sleuthers and those who are seeking justice for Suzanne.

There's no way to sugarcoat a murderer and try to find compassion for them, no matter what their 'reasoning' and past upbringing were.
However it's possible the defense will try to portray Barry as a godly and church-going man who always put his family first.
When the reality is his entire household must have quaked under his abusive control.
Iykwim ?
Imo.

Last edited:
I want to buy @TKG a drink for that one.
beer.gif
Cheers!

I don't. And, I think it happened many times before. I also think the girls had seen him abuse their mother. Because they were out of the house, one in college, the other living with her boyfriend, it was easier for Barry to physically abuse Suzanne. They lived out in the middle of nowhere. Nobody was ever around.

JMO

Remember those notes we saw ... with words to the effect of "I remember when you carried me with such love and care when I was so sick?" "I am so thankful for you"?

To me, those notes could be a 'nice' plea from Suzanne, can't they please return to the relationship they once had, what appeared to her to be a loving, caring and nurturing relationship. And to please not be insecure, it was BM that she wanted to have a happy relationship with.

Suzanne may have been trying to change a horrible direction their relationship had taken ... by using compliments instead of confrontation. By reinforcing the 'good' behaviour.

Recording of TD & BM. Editing?
My thought is they would not allow the edited version? It would have to be the (1) raw original but I'm not sure what happens in these types of circumstances where someone shot video, (2) edited and (3) broadcast an edited version which is what people saw.
@Momofthreeboys bbm red#bm You raise good points, but respectfully I disagree in part, but may be misinterp’ing CO Rules of Evd below.
As a preface, repeating from my prior post, is TD's audio-video recording* admissible as evd in BM's crim trial? Before it is admitted & shown to jury, atty offering it must "lay the foundation" by calling the maker TD to witness stand to testify under oath to authenticate audio-video recording, as a true & accurate representation of their conversation & actions shown that day & place. If TD testifies it’s a T & A representation, then likely admissible as to stmts BM made, imo, as long as content is also relevant.
Now, re your points.
(1) Is only ^^^“raw original” admissible? As I read Rules of Evd. 1001 and 1003,** the original* is admissible or a duplicate** is admissible, unless there is a genuine question as to its authenticity, like my green ex. in footnote.
(2) Is edited/altered*** version admissible? Per below, yes, as long as alterations are given a “full and satisfactory explanation” before admission.
(3) Is TD’s podcast/broadcast version of recording relevant to the version/duplicate a party offers as evidence at BM’s crim trial? “What people saw” on TD’s podcast may not be the “raw original” version and may have been edited. Imo, the podcast version is not relevant, re admissibility to the original or duplicate, if TD can authenticate it at trial. Iirc, TD did not livestream the vid, so we do not know what, if anything, was altered

If the original recording or any version is offered, opposing atty can argue against admission, and if admitted, can cross examine TD to elicit information about alterations/edits.
Finally as some commented, the recording may not be particularly incriminating in itself. Bits & pieces, well, maybe, in conjunction w his stmts to others. For ex, if BM said on recording “this” happened at 2:00 pm but told someone or LE “this” happened at 5:00pm, jury may see deliberate deception.

I haven’t watched it since last summer, don’t recall details.
Welcoming comment or correction, esp’ly from our legal professionals. my2ct.

sbm bbm
Same CO rule also defines "original" and "duplicate" which are ( surprisingly??? ) close to common sense definitions.

** Rule 1003 - Admissibility of Duplicates
"A duplicate is admissible to the same extent as an original unless (1) a genuine question is raised as to the authenticity of the original {{{ Ex, hypo only: if BM/def team denied that man shown was BM or audio portion was not BM’s voice, that someone else’s voice had been dubbed in to say --- I strangled Suzanne to death. Yes, a waaaay out there hypo.}}} or (2) in the circumstances it would be unfair to admit the duplicate in lieu of the original." bbm. Green phrase inserted by me.

*** Summary of a CO appellate ct ruling re admitting a duplicate.
"If alterations in the duplicates and/or the originals of otherwise admissible documents have been made, such documents are still admissible provided a full and satisfactory explanation of such alterations is made prior to
their admission. People v. Wolfe, 662 P.2d 502 (Colo. App. 1983)" bbm
^https://casetext.com/rule/colorado-...tographs/rule-1003-admissibility-of-duplicate

Last edited:
As a primer for anyone interested, custody does not necessarily mean arrest:

Custody for the purposes of Miranda includes not only a formal arrest but a restraint on the freedom of movement that is associated with a formal arrest. McDougle v. State, 828 So. 2d 454 (Fla. 4th DCA 2002). The test for determining custody is whether “a reasonable person in the defendant’s position would believe that his freedom of action was curtailed to the degree associated with an actual arrest." Ramirez v. State, 739 So. 2d 568, 574 (Fla. 1999). In determining whether a reasonable person would consider himself to be “in custody," a court should consider four factors, which include: “(1) the manner in which police summon the suspect for questioning; (2) the purpose, place, and manner of the interrogation; (3) the extent to which the suspect is confronted with evidence of his or her guilt; (4) whether the suspect is informed that he or she is free to leave the place of questioning." Id. at 374; see also Louis v. State, 855 So. 2d 253, 255 (Fla. 4th DCA 2003); Pollard v. State, 790 So. 2d 1015, 1017 (Fla. 4th DCA 2001).
https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/u...-when-in-custody-and-subject-to-interrogation

As a simple example, the line becomes a bit blurry when someone has voluntarily come in for an interview but the interview turns into an interrogation when the subject makes a statement which raises the suspicion of LE and they now consider him a suspect. The subject recognizes the change of tone and may not feel he is free to leave even though he has not yet been placed under formal arrest. The court would look closely at what point LE Mirandized the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackparsley