SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post removed>
<modsnip> I myself am going to start making posts where I say all the things I don't think.

Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true.

I have been mia on here, where was Maggie's phone found? tia
It was delivered to law enforcement by the Murdaugh family who started that they located it on Moselle road in front of the property

@Jleeryan99 , in response to your post in the other thread. A now retired cop that I grew up with and have remained close to has told me many times that these hunt camps that are scattered around here are always hit by thieves, and often have guns, booze, and rec vehicles around.
I am bugged silly about this camera question and can’t imagine a place like this not having them.
BBM: This is what I think happened. Could be wrong! Especiaily seeing there was two different guns. Doesn't sound organized at all.

What if they had security that the killers knew how to disable?

This NYT article does not have much new…but the wording is interesting…

‘Under increasing pressure from newspapers to provide more information, the agency released 18 heavily redacted pages of documents from the investigation this week. They showed that both victims were found lying on the ground shortly after 10 p.m. on the sprawling, 1,770-acre property in Colleton County, where the Murdaugh family…..operates….a hunting lodge.‘

A Mother and Son Are Found Murdered, Deepening a Mystery in South Carolina

“Operates a hunting lodge?” This makes it sound like a business venture. I believe we had an article yesterday stating that many people were familiar with the hunting lodge…having rented or been loaned it in the past.

They must not have had cameras in all areas because why would they be questioning Steven Smith's mother about her son's aquaintances. They are still looking and obviously did not see much on cameras. Maybe they were just placed around the lodge but not way out by the kennels?

As far as the family finding the phone, my family shares an app where we can locate each other at any point in time. I can watch my husband traveling along a road…see that he stopped for gas. But I’m really tracking his phone.

Someone might have remembered this after the shock wore off and when they checked, it would show MM very near the house…really, of course, her phone.

They may have then told LE where to look. I don’t think we know that they retrieved it, do we?

So FAMILY happened to find her phone - not the authorities - and FAMILY delivered said phone to the authorities. In the words of the Church Lady, "well isn't that special".
That’s what the initial reporting stated, but <modsnip: not an approved source>

It appears that law enforcement asked a family member to perhaps use something like the “find my” feature to locate where the phone was. That’s a lot more specific than merely pinging the phone, and a hell of a lot faster than any method they had at their disposal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not concerned about who or what app was used to locate phone.
My concern is were proper chain of custody procedures followed when it was retrieved.

MOO
<modsnip: removed reference to a non approved source> law enforcement recovered the phone. So it’s not like a family member used an app to locate it, found it, and handed it over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this from WaPo -- please forgive if it's a repeat -- interesting.

Newspaper sues SC police over records in mother, son deaths
By Associated Press
June 18, 2021 at 1:08 p.m. EDT
ISLANDTON, S.C. — A South Carolina newspaper is suing the police agencies investigating the shooting deaths of a mother and son from one of South Carolina’s prominent legal families, arguing that authorities violated public records law by refusing to release 911 calls and police reports.
The Post and Courier in Charleston reported that it filed the lawsuit Thursday against the State Law Enforcement Division and the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office.
[...]
State law requires police agencies release reports that “disclose the nature, substance, and/or location of any crime or alleged crime.” South Carolina public records law also notes that incident and supplement reports are public.
Police also have denied requests to review 911 calls by other newspapers in the state, according to the Island Packet. The law enforcement agencies have said the public faces no immediate danger, but they have not announced any arrests or named any suspects.
“If the Murdaughs were murdered, the public may be in danger from the killer or killers,” the Post and Courier’s lawsuit reads.

-------------------------------
More here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...b04510-d057-11eb-a224-bd59bd22197c_story.html

Things I'd like to know about the evening (other than who killed them, naturally) are:
  • exact layout of the property/crime scene and where the bodies where found and where the vehicles were.
  • positioning of the bodies and whether they were bound
  • was one of the vehicles damaged?
  • were there any signs of a struggle?
  • were there any signs of forced entry anywhere on the property?
  • were PM & MM home all evening or had they gone out? If so, when did they arrive back?
ETA: Is that too much for a WSer to ask? :rolleyes:

(pardon my glibness. I haven't lost sight of the fact that this a horrific and devastating crime for loved ones and the community.)

Last edited:
I was hoping and thinking that a family of prosecuting attorneys would know evidence rules when dealing with the phone.

I would think so as well but I've yet to see clarification.
Personally I've read very fuzzy unclear reporting in many cases. Could it be purposely misleading, editing, etc ?
IDK but its becoming an unsettling trend in my eyes.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member