Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more for the even bigger picture, @IRBHTX. You can see a path from the back of the house down to the river. I believe the listing photos show a seating area or fire pit down by the river.
I think SM & BM may have had another fight during or after their 11:30 lunch of vegggie soup. He stormed off and went down to the river to blow off steam. He had to be back in town to get the blade swapped out on the Bobcat, but I think he had already made up his mind to kill her. He didn’t want to miss his appointment because that would be too suspicious after the fact.
I think SM knew that BM was really mad that day, but her texts to JL sounded very upbeat. I don’t think she thought BM was coming back to kill her. If so, she could have left when BM went into town at 1:38. Instead she sent a text to JL at 1:42: Guess who is alone again? Then she sent a photo to him at 2:03.
I think she was actually relieved that things were coming to a head with BM. It may have caused her to lower her guard. MOO

I agree the affair with JL kept her busy and distracted from exactly what Barry was up to. She was hoping for a civil divorce bc she was done! Most people who divorce can end their marriages amicably. Was she not done with BM before move to CO?

May 25, 2020
Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew and her husband Barry Morphew were active members of a Baptist church in Indiana

Suzanne is a sweetheart of a woman; a kind soul,” said Jeremy Parsons, who attended the same church as the Morphews before they moved to Colorado in 2018, and occasionally went to their home for a monthly game night with other members of the church community.

Parsons, who described Suzanne as having “kind eyes,” said that Suzanne is very well-liked, as others who know her have said.

<> Parsons noted that Barry Morphew was not quite as friendly as Suzanne, describing him as sometimes “standoffish.”

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

O/T John Cougar Mellencamp is from Seymour, IN and was 30yo older than Suzanne when they lived within driving distance to his residence. I wonder how much, if any, influence a musician like him had on Indiana high school and college students. I've always been a fan of his music.

JCM song from 1981. Dance style is iconic. S&B married in 1994. They attended the Baptist church when in IN. Baptists in my state don't dance at church. Has that changed? I'm an Episcopalian.

I also found this in my old old notes. It is one of @OldCop 's posts.

BBM

"Also, according to MG, BM calls them on Monday morning “crying” about SM being missing. He tells them to stay there and wait for materials for the job to be delivered. He never asked them to come and help search for his wife. We don’t know when or if there was another conversation between BM and his workers. MG says they sat around until Tuesday and they still hadn’t received the proper tools or machinery. They decided to return to Salida. When they did, BM apparently found out because he sent TN and GD to talk to MG about hush money and (not) turning her phone over to LE. I don’t know if these two messengers also spoke with JP and the third worker.
If MG’s statements are true, BM did not want these witnesses back in town and he evidently thought there was something incriminating on MG’s phone. There was! The broken alibi! He was not at home with his sleeping wife at 5:00 a.m. He was on the road at 4:00 a.m. talking to MG. Even if he destroyed his own phone or a burner, MG’s will tell LE a lot that they needed to know. She turned her phone over either Tuesday or Wednesday and had at least one interview with LE. When BM found out, he fired her. Imagine his rage when he realized this woman might be his downfall? No wonder she left town.
He has since labeled her as a meth head."

4 am sure fits directly into the timeline that now been created!

I also found this in my old old notes. It is one of @OldCop 's posts.

BBM

"Also, according to MG, BM calls them on Monday morning “crying” about SM being missing. He tells them to stay there and wait for materials for the job to be delivered. He never asked them to come and help search for his wife. We don’t know when or if there was another conversation between BM and his workers. MG says they sat around until Tuesday and they still hadn’t received the proper tools or machinery. They decided to return to Salida. When they did, BM apparently found out because he sent TN and GD to talk to MG about hush money and (not) turning her phone over to LE. I don’t know if these two messengers also spoke with JP and the third worker.
If MG’s statements are true, BM did not want these witnesses back in town and he evidently thought there was something incriminating on MG’s phone. There was! The broken alibi! He was not at home with his sleeping wife at 5:00 a.m. He was on the road at 4:00 a.m. talking to MG. Even if he destroyed his own phone or a burner, MG’s will tell LE a lot that they needed to know. She turned her phone over either Tuesday or Wednesday and had at least one interview with LE. When BM found out, he fired her. Imagine his rage when he realized this woman might be his downfall? No wonder she left town.
He has since labeled her as a meth head."

4 am sure fits directly into the timeline that now been created!

Bam! MG was fired for turning over her phone to the authorities because it'll prove Barry's alibi is a lie! Remind us again how bright this killer is. :rolleyes:

Lauren tweeted May 8 for the FB activity. I asked her to clarify but didn’t hear back. Here’s a SS of the order of her tweets. The next one says SM sent msgs to SO about wedding the next day. The wedding was the 10th. Were they jumpin around on days?

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425185309285928966?s=21

Between 8-9 p.m. on May 8, #SuzanneMorphew Facebook codes were reset. She friend requested 23 people in total 20 were men. Investigators asked Barry if this was him and he said no.

I always thought the FB requests were sent out on the evening of May 9, not the 8th. Hope Lauren can clarify that.

I firmly believe that Barry knew about Suzanne's affair, but maybe he found out about it that weekend. Could the FB requests be his attempt at finding out who she was having the affair with? Maybe he was suspicious that it was with someone from Indiana, someone from their past, and he sent the requests to see how the men would respond. (Were the 3 women, that were friend-requested, wives of those men?) Since he thought, at that time (if on the 9th), that LE was going to buy his mountain lion/fell off her bike theory, no questions asked, could whoever SM was having the affair with have been next on his revenge list? :eek: If the FB requests were on the 9th, it could be something simple, like making it appear that Suzanne was still alive on Saturday night (while also angrily trying to identity her bf). If it was on the 8th, I think he could have been trying to identify SM's lover, and was likely in a rage. That makes sense as to why he would risk signing in to Suzanne's FB account (especially if it was after she was dead): he was mad (and jealous) as hell.

Regardless of the date, I'm starting to think this was BM's (main) motive for killing her. You don't break up with Barry.

*Disclaimer: I've always believed it was premeditated months in advance, so I'll likely flip flop back and forth a few more times on this forum. Monday cannot come quickly enough! I need answers!

Bam! MG was fired for turning over her phone to the authorities because it'll prove Barry's alibi is a lie! Remind us again how bright this killer is. :rolleyes:
It all makes sense.
I can imagine the minute BM told LE that he left Suzanne sleeping at 5am, his mind was having an oh shoot moment, thinking about that 4am call to MG.

I would like to know exactly what he told TN and GD was the reason that he didn't want MG turning over her phone. Surely they must realize by now that they were being lied to and used to try and cover up murder. Imo

There's wheel locks so your wheel doesn't get stolen. Sounds like she had on on there. I guess if you transport it and stopped in your car it could be an easy target for thieves. moo

I don't think it was that kind of lock as the responding officers were able to "release" it (according to the body cam and preliminary hearing testimony).

Guys, I earlier characterized E$N as attempting to help BM "beat the rap".

Some sleuthers were offended by that characterization.

Now that we have gone thru half the PH, does the characterization that they are trying to help him "beat the rap" sound more or less appropriate?
These are some excellent Defense Attorneys, I have no doubt at all that they're helping ole' BM to beat the rap, no offense taken, it's their job.

I think they've done a fairly good job in the first 2 days, but the totality of the evidence, of what little we know so far and all that won't even show up in PH, is going to 'Barry' this guy up to his neck.

MOO

One more for the even bigger picture, @IRBHTX. You can see a path from the back of the house down to the river. I believe the listing photos show a seating area or fire pit down by the river.
I think SM & BM may have had another fight during or after their 11:30 lunch of vegggie soup. He stormed off and went down to the river to blow off steam. He had to be back in town to get the blade swapped out on the Bobcat, but I think he had already made up his mind to kill her. He didn’t want to miss his appointment because that would be too suspicious after the fact.
I think SM knew that BM was really mad that day, but her texts to JL sounded very upbeat. I don’t think she thought BM was coming back to kill her. If so, she could have left when BM went into town at 1:38. Instead she sent a text to JL at 1:42: Guess who is alone again? Then she sent a photo to him at 2:03.
I think she was actually relieved that things were coming to a head with BM. It may have caused her to lower her guard. MOO

I do recall seeing a sitting area down by the river at Puma Path.
Imagine sitting there, hearing the water flow, watching the wild life that was drawn to the water. Shooting them.

I think there were trail cameras along the river.

What if the time BM was walking along the river that Saturday, he was checking his cameras.

Maybe some of them were aimed in towards the home and for some reason he wanted them turned away.

Maybe he made sure his cameras couldn't pick up any of his comings and goings.
Moo

Last edited:
When BM gets flustered, he just answers with the name of an animal.

I’m reminded of an old episode of the British version of “Family Feud,” when a contestant answered “turkey,” for each question in the “fast money” round.

At least Barry changed it up a bit:

Bobcat, to explain Suzanne’s disappearance.

Turkey, to explain why he was creeping around the backyard when he was supposedly eating lunch with Suzanne.

Chipmunks, to explain why he was frantically moving around the yard when he returned home.

Elk, to explain why he wasn’t where he should have been based on the time he left the house.
RBBM
@MassGuy I have always said this hour is somehow going to figure into things more importantly. There is just not a logical reason why he would be behind there for so long.

Also, from NoSI's notes:
5:33 PM: Power to F350 “telematics box” removed, system rebooted, unexplained why that occurred.

I think he had already disposed of Suzanne's remains before that information wipe.

JMO

Unless....
We definitely need verification of the date of the reset and friend requests.

Carol reported it as Saturday. BBM

Carol McKinley

@CarolAMcKinley

·
Aug 10

On Saturday night before Suzanne was reported missing, her Facebook codes were reset and her account friended 23 of her old friends, 20 of them male. investigators asked Barry if he did this and he denied it.

If I completely ignore the facts, I can believe Barry is innocent:

If I ignore what was going on in that marriage.

If I ignore the fact that Barry deleted texts that reflected poorly in the state of that marriage.

If I ignore Barry’s lies on the state of their marriage.

If I ignore the fact that Suzanne said she was afraid of him.

If I ignore the psychological abuse, and the threats of suicide.

If I ignore the fact that Suzanne dropped off the grid when Barry arrived home that afternoon.

If I ignore the cell phone data that shows Suzanne’s phone went dark before Barry claims to have left the house.

If I ignore the tranquilizer dart cap in the dryer, the package with one missing, and the materials he admitted to throwing away.

If I ignore the car and cell phone data that puts him outside an hour before he claims to have woken up, and in the vicinity of the bike.

If I ignore the 5 trash dumps, the costume changes, and the boots being thrown away.

If I ignore him forgetting what he threw away.

If I ignore the fact he left early for a job, worked 11 minutes, and then lied to the FBI about it.

If I ignore the lie about where he claimed he was when he received the call.

If I ignore the changing stories he gave to law enforcement over the entirety of the investigation.

If I ignore all of those things, and the things I didn’t even mention, then I could believe Barry is innocent.

I’d have to put my brain in a blender first though.
:cool:

It all makes sense.
I can imagine the minute BM told LE that he left Suzanne sleeping at 5am, his mind was having an oh shoot moment, thinking about that 4am call to MG.

I would like to know exactly what he told TN and GD was the reason that he didn't want MG turning over her phone. Surely they must realize by now that they were being lied to and used to try and cover up murder. Imo
I agree. BM must have said something believable to TN and GD because why would they get involved and tell a witness not to turn over her phone to LE. But again.. I'm glad they did because more fingers to point at BM

Correction: she didn't HAVE to turn over her phone to LE.
“We would give you your paycheck, but we don’t want it to look like hush-hush money. You have rights, but you don’t have to give CBI your phone.”

Last edited:
Warwick7 - since you have notes, and the wedding was going to be Sunday, could (or anyone) listen to the video in this post I found that was referencing the FB friend requests. It sounds like he says they were talking the night before the wedding. How does that line up with the end of her phone calls being at night as released in the PreTrial. I may not be following this correctly.. I thought her last communication was with JL.

53:18 CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

Notes in this post: CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

Note: not sure if all this even really matters in the big picture, just trying to determine if it was likely 5/8 and maybe there was confusion on the date in early interviews.

ETA:
Her last communication was on the afternoon of May 9 when she texted a smiling photo of herself sunbathing to Jeff Libler, a Michigan man she had been having an affair with.

Barry Morphew Had Threatened To Commit Suicide In The Days Leading To His Wife's Disappearance, Texts Show | Oxygen Official Site

According to AM, the conversation re: all wedding stopped at 2:30 pm May 9, FB friend requests happened Saturday May 9 in the pm.

Tiff, you might be able to jog my memory. We had a new WSer join about the time when info was coming out about SMs Saturday. He was a verified person (wife & he lived in Alexandria IN area, former friends SM or BM). His wife had reported the friending requests via Facebook happening on Saturday evening, May 9. Anyone else remember the account I’m speaking of. For the life of me, his name escapes me. He hasn’t posted in quite some time. Moo

Q.: After a “great day and evening” together (Barry’s words), why wouldn’t Suzanne return a text to Barry on Sunday?

A.: Because Suzanne was already dead.

There is a chilling resemblance forming here.
Compare these two texts sent the morning after an alleged murder.

6:59 a.m.: Berreth’s phone texts Frazee’s phone “call me when you guys are awake.” Prosecutors claim Frazee sent this message to himself.

At 6:56 a.m. Morphew sent two text messages to Suzanne. They read: 'You up?' and 'Happy Mother's Day, I love you.'

Last edited:
According to AM, the conversation re: all wedding stopped at 2:30 pm May 9, FB friend requests happened Saturday May 9 in the pm.

Tiff, you might be able to jog my memory. We had a new WSer join about the time when info was coming out about SMs Saturday. He was a verified person (wife & he lived in Alexandria IN area, former friends SM or BM). His wife had reported the friending requests via Facebook happening on Saturday evening, May 9. Anyone else remember the account I’m speaking of. For the life of me, his name escapes me. He hasn’t posted in quite some time. Moo

I believe it was @Hoosierfan72

From Thread #32: CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

Last edited:

yes, I remember this person, his SO had either received one of the requests or knew someone who had - can’t remember which day but was in the evening
sorry I can’t remember their name but I think it had something to do with being from Indiana
not sure this is at all helpful as I can’t remember details
moo

Sad to say, but imo, the biggest downside for SM regarding the relationship with JL, it gave her a “false” sense of hope, security if you will, that everything was working out, eventually letting her guard down about the actual state of BM’s anger. Had she been more in tune at the time, she would have been more fearful than ever. Having trouble expressing these thoughts, but hope you all catch my meaning. Not disparaging SM, just sad she let her guard down. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53