Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, all of the vaccines have been through the requisite trials,. I remember reading the progress of them last year.

Fact check: COVID-19 vaccines did have clinical trials

The default vaccine here in NZ is Pfizer. I have had my first shot and my 2nd will be in a week. My hubby just got his second today. My 13 year old son has his first appt for mid September.

We are relieved that the vaccine rollout here is finally ramping up. They were doing it in stages with the elderly, border, health workers being covered first. We have had issues with supply, but that appears to be over now. I wish we could have had a quicker rollout but being a small isolated country with low transmission, we weren't high on the priority list, I think in terms of distribution. We don't have the facilities to manufacture our own.

In terms of side effects, both of us have only experienced an achey heavy arm so far. I am told the 2nd dose might hit harder. But I'd rather have a few days of flu symptoms than the possibility of hospitalization, intubation, ventilator, death. That's not even factoring in long haul COVID and the possibility of permanent damage to the lungs, heart, neurological system etc.

I was a hard no on getting it. Now on the fence, myself.
I encourage you to get it. In my province of Manitoba, Canada (population 1.35 million) we had 113 patients in ICU with active Covid-19 in May. Today we have only 4 in ICU and 14 in the hospital with active Covid/Delta variant, 27 new cases. What changed? A high percentage of our eligible citizens 12 yrs and up are now vaccinated... 81% with one dose and 75% with two doses, and counting. Vaccines work, and they will save you from hospitalization and death.
My nephew is a cardiologist who has seen patients come in who never had heart problems before. When tested, turns out they have Covid. Were they vaccinated? No.

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. :(
Its been a long time since I've seen my family, we live in different states too. The majority of them don't want to vaccinate, so I unfortunately would refrain from seeing them or allowing them to visit right now. Sometimes I worry if that's the wrong decision.

I'm leaning more and more towards getting the vaccine myself. I wish I had a rational reason for my hesitancy or fears, but I don't. I think I'm psyching myself out and it's holding me back.

I hope you get the vaccine, especially now with the Delta variant spreading so quickly. Like others, I had no problems with getting the Pfizer vaccine. No symptoms the first time and only a sore arm and a little fatigue one afternoon after the second one. It was nothing like going through 7 months of chemo to fight breast cancer. Those are some toxic treatments, but here I am 22 years later with no cancer and no side effects.

As far as I know, all of the vaccines have been through the requisite trials,. I remember reading the progress of them last year.

Fact check: COVID-19 vaccines did have clinical trials

The default vaccine here in NZ is Pfizer. I have had my first shot and my 2nd will be in a week. My hubby just got his second today. My 13 year old son has his first appt for mid September.

We are relieved that the vaccine rollout here is finally ramping up. They were doing it in stages with the elderly, border, health workers being covered first. We have had issues with supply, but that appears to be over now. I wish we could have had a quicker rollout but being a small isolated country with low transmission, we weren't high on the priority list, I think in terms of distribution. We don't have the facilities to manufacture our own.

In terms of side effects, both of us have only experienced an achey heavy arm so far. I am told the 2nd dose might hit harder. But I'd rather have a few days of flu symptoms than the possibility of hospitalization, intubation, ventilator, death. That's not even factoring in long haul COVID and the possibility of permanent damage to the lungs, heart, neurological system etc.

For what it's worth, my husband got his 2nd dose of Pfizer last week. All he had was sleepiness the next day and feeling a little more "awake" the night that he got it. I'm thinking maybe it was the immune system response? But nothing more than that :)

I hope you get the vaccine, especially now with the Delta variant spreading so quickly. Like others, I had no problems with getting the Pfizer vaccine. No symptoms the first time and only a sore arm and a little fatigue one afternoon after the second one. It was nothing like going through 7 months of chemo to fight breast cancer. Those are some toxic treatments, but here I am 22 years later with no cancer and no side effects.

I'm planning to very soon! I've been living like a hermit 99% of the time since March 2020 and plan to stick with that, but I know I'll feel better if I get vaccinated. Your post-vaccination symptoms sound like how my husband was!
And congrats on beating cancer <3

I encourage you to get it. In my province of Manitoba, Canada (population 1.35 million) we had 113 patients in ICU with active Covid-19 in May. Today we have only 4 in ICU and 14 in the hospital with active Covid/Delta variant, 27 new cases. What changed? A high percentage of our eligible citizens 12 yrs and up are now vaccinated... 81% with one dose and 75% with two doses, and counting. Vaccines work, and they will save you from hospitalization and death.
My nephew is a cardiologist who has seen patients come in who never had heart problems before. When tested, turns out they have Covid. Were they vaccinated? No.
With more reading here and researching..off the fence and planning to get it!
My state's vaccination rates are similar - I think we're 80% at one dose and 65% for two doses at this point.

With more reading here and researching..off the fence and planning to get it!
My state's vaccination rates are similar - I think we're 80% at one dose and 65% for two doses at this point.
I had Moderna, hubs had Pfizer.
He felt fine after the first shot. Second one he felt “blah” and tired the day after the shot.
He did a few conference calls from home that next morning and then took a long afternoon nap. Felt fine the next day.
That was about it.

Probably, because CDC and FDA think people should stick to the same vaccine they originally got vaccinated with.

Our pharmacist yesterday said they are only giving booster shots to people based on the same brand that they were originally vaccinated with (Pfizer or Moderna), according to CDC guidelines they received.

So I guess you will have to go to a facilty/pharmacy that has doses of your specific vaccine, and check before you make your appointment and show up for the booster shot.

Our pharmacist yesterday said they are only giving booster shots to people based on the same brand that they were originally vaccinated with (Pfizer or Moderna), according to CDC guidelines they received.

So I guess you will have to go to a facilty/pharmacy that has doses of your specific vaccine, and check before you make your appointment and show up for the booster shot.
If you make an appointment on-line, they will ask you which mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) you got previously, and schedule you for the third of the same-boosters are already allowed for immuno suppressed.

If you make an appointment on-line, they will ask you which mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) you got previously, and schedule you for the third of the same-boosters are already allowed for immuno suppressed.

Our pharmacies only carry one mRNA vaccine, not both brands. So before making an appointment, you need to know which mRNA vaccine you want, and then look through the list to find out which pharmacy carries that brand, and then make the appointment. That's how it works in our county.

Just went and got my first Pfizer dose!
Incredibly proud of myself as I have a real problem with needles and was afraid I would vomit or faint. I kept putting off scheduling it the last week or two. My kiddo fell asleep earlier so I went down to CVS to see if I could walk in and get it done.
CVS did fantastic!

Incredibly proud of myself as I have a real problem with needles and was afraid I would vomit or faint. I kept putting off scheduling it the last week or two. My kiddo fell asleep earlier so I went down to CVS to see if I could walk in and get it done.
CVS did fantastic!

Woohoo! Good on you for protecting your family! And for overcoming your fears/nerves. My husband hates needles, he fainted once giving blood. Then he got type 2 diabetes and got over needles pretty fast.

I received my second Pfizer jab today, and I'm ready to rest up for the next 48 hours in case of side effects. Plenty of juice, paracetamol and chocolate on hand.

My 13-year-old son got his first today as well. He was pretty nervous about the needle, but it was over in about 5 seconds and he said it didn't hurt as much as the HPV vaccine.

CVS did fantastic!
Happy for you @Turkeytrot! :)

CVS did fantastic!

You go, girl! I hope you have little to no side affects. I had a pretty sore arm with my first Pfizer shot and a less sore arm with the second. The hubby was the same. My 17 year old had the chills with both of his Pfizer shots but they lasted less than 24 hours.

I am proud of you. I think and hope you will feel relieved to have some protection against getting a really bad case.

CVS did fantastic!

Congratulations! :)

Woohoo! Good on you for protecting your family! And for overcoming your fears/nerves. My husband hates needles, he fainted once giving blood. Then he got type 2 diabetes and got over needles pretty fast.

I received my second Pfizer jab today, and I'm ready to rest up for the next 48 hours in case of side effects. Plenty of juice, paracetamol and chocolate on hand.

My 13-year-old son got his first today as well. He was pretty nervous about the needle, but it was over in about 5 seconds and he said it didn't hurt as much as the HPV vaccine.

Oh man - your husband sounds like me on fainting when giving blood! They can usually find my vein easily but the last time I had blood drawn, it took 3 sticks. Not a fun one, haha.

I hope you feel good this weekend! My husband was drowsy after his second dose, but that was it. He did feel a little more awake/adrenaline rush that night too but nothing more than that.

Husband said it was the most pain-free vaccine he's gotten and that he didn't feel it, I figured he was just trying to ease my fears but I was pleasantly surprised!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa