Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, @Cindizzi -- I'm a bit behind today and appreciate the confirmation! :)
You got it. That time stamp I gave might be off now. It was a very choppy Live because they were driving from Salida so LS might have edited it.
At 41:00 LS talks about her interview with the DA and DDA and asking them if they ever took the case to a GJ. She says they told her that they did not because the need to call a jury pool of 75 people during Covid restrictions. They said there was no venue large enough in Chaffee County to do that. And then she says they took the AA to Judge PM to sign.

Update! That way I can shorten this up for next time.... They never did discuss the voter fraud charge - did they?? It is no longer listed on the court site.

Tuesday, August 24th:
*Preliminary Hearing (Murder) (Day 4 of 5) & Status Conference Hearing (Voter fraud) (Day 4 of 4) (@ 9:30am MT) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence a public servant. And additional charges (5/18/21) with tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. No bond.
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 8/9/21 to 8/23/21 (Prelim day 1 to 3) & info on his voter fraud from 5/13/21 to 5/27/21 reference post #43 here:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #77 *ARREST*

8/24/21 Preliminary hearing Day 4: State witness: Former FBI Agent Johnny Grusing is back on the stand. Dru Nielsen on cross exam. Re-direct by Jeff Lindsey.
Reference post #593 for more info here:
The prosecution has presented their evidence & hands it off to the defense.
Defense witnesses: Deputy Scott Himschoot with the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office. He aided with the search of the Morphew home.
CBI Agent Joseph Cahill.
CBI Agent Joseph Cahill – cross exam continued by Mark Hulbert. And re-direct by Iris Eytan.
Reference post #824 for more info here:
Defense has no more witnesses.
Judge Patrick Murphy says there have been 20 hours of testimony & he's taken 25 pages of notes. It's now time for him to decide whether to bind Morphew over for trial. District Judge Patrick Murphy: “not prepared to issue a ruling, today.” Defense attorney Nielsen stands - We are urging the court to rule on the proof evident today, so that Mr. Morphew doesn't have to continue to sit in jail. Judge says he’d rather make the decision correctly rather than too quickly. Judge says to come back at 2:30pm. Judge Murphy- He has 25 pages and says he can’t come to a decision today. "I want to keep the attorneys [in the courtroom] & schedule a time for a hearing for the decision. Let’s work on making a date for the next hearing." Next preliminary hearing on 9/17/21 @ 1:30pm for murder case only where attorneys may make an argument & the court will rule. The release of the affidavit will be discussed at that hearing.

We really need the AA to get a grasp on this.

That live shell in the bedroom means something, but I don’t have a clue what that is.

The 22 also means something, but I don’t know what that is either.

Barry says he shot deer recently with the dart gun (different from the 22), but the initial investigator said it didn’t look like it could fire.

So I don’t know what the hell is going on.

The only thought I had about that shell is that perhaps it was in the gun and he ejected it before putting the tranq dart into the gun. Then he forgot about the shell (and the tranq cap) with all he had to do.

I don't know if that is possible/probable. But it is one thought that I had.

Update! That way I can shorten this up for next time.... They never did discuss the voter fraud charge - did they?? It is no longer listed on the court site.

Tuesday, August 24th:
*Preliminary Hearing (Murder) (Day 4 of 5) & Status Conference Hearing (Voter fraud) (Day 4 of 4) (@ 9:30am MT) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence a public servant. And additional charges (5/18/21) with tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. No bond.
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 8/9/21 to 8/23/21 (Prelim day 1 to 3) & info on his voter fraud from 5/13/21 to 5/27/21 reference post #43 here:

8/24/21 Preliminary hearing Day 4: State witness: Former FBI Agent Johnny Grusing is back on the stand. Dru Nielsen on cross exam. Re-direct by Jeff Lindsey.
The prosecution has presented their evidence & hands it off to the defense.
Defense witnesses: Deputy Scott Himschoot with the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office. He aided with the search of the Morphew home.
CBI Agent Joseph Cahill.
CBI Agent Joseph Cahill – cross exam continued by Mark Hulbert. And re-direct by Iris Eytan.
Reference post #824 for more info here:
Defense has no more witnesses.
Judge Patrick Murphy says there have been 20 hours of testimony & he's taken 25 pages of notes. It's now time for him to decide whether to bind Morphew over for trial. District Judge Patrick Murphy: “not prepared to issue a ruling, today.” Defense attorney Nielsen stands - We are urging the court to rule on the proof evident today, so that Mr. Morphew doesn't have to continue to sit in jail. Judge says he’d rather make the decision correctly rather than too quickly. Judge says to come back at 2:30pm. Judge Murphy- He has 25 pages and says he can’t come to a decision today. "I want to keep the attorneys [in the courtroom] & schedule a time for a hearing for the decision. Let’s work on making a date for the next hearing." Next preliminary hearing on 9/17/21 @ 1:30pm for murder case only where attorneys may make an argument & the court will rule. The release of the affidavit will be discussed at that hearing.
I don’t recall of any mention of the Voter Fraud charges during the PH.
Fox21 did obtain the AW for those charges and linked it in a news article but the document has never shown on the CoCourts site AFAIK. Here it is.

https://www.fox21news.com/wp-conten...phew-Forgery-Affidavit-for-Arrest-Warrant.pdf

Barry Morphew used missing wife Suzanne's election ballot to vote: report

Barry Morphew, 53, is accused of submitting Suzanne’s completed ballot despite that fact that she had been missing since May 10, 2020 – and there had been an ongoing investigation surrounding her disappearance, according to an arrest warrant that was first obtained by FOX 21 and pertains to voter fraud allegations.

You got it. That time stamp I gave might be off now. It was a very choppy Live because they were driving from Salida so LS might have edited it.
At 41:00 LS talks about her interview with the DA and DDA and asking them if they ever took the case to a GJ. She says they told her that they did not because the need to call a jury pool of 75 people during Covid restrictions. They said there was no venue large enough in Chaffee County to do that. And then she says they took the AA to Judge PM to sign.
It's now at about 16:10 in the video.

Thanks for catching that. It always made sense based on how Judge Murphy wrote about the AA in his decision to seal it, but good to have it confirmed.

Crime Talk with Scott Reisch[URL='https://twitter.com/CrimeTalkPod']@CrimeTalkPod[/URL]

Replying to
@CrimeTalkPod
Judge Murphy- I understand but I would rather make the decision correctly...I’m going to have to put quite a bit of effort laying out the evidence so I can explain my decision. I am not able to do that today. I am not a robot. Let’s work on making a date for the next hearing...

1:03 PM · Aug 24, 2021

Crime Talk with Scott Reisch@CrimeTalkPod

Replying to
@CrimeTalkPod
Family, media, and public leaves the courtroom for Judge Murphy, state, and defense to schedule a date for the next hearing.

1:03 PM · Aug 24, 2021

^^bbm
Somebody asked earlier about Judge Murphy's reference to not being a robot and if this is unusual.

IMO, this follows his earlier comment during the July 22 hearing that he was a methodical thinker and requested defense attorney IE to follow the order of her motion (discovery) and not skip around. Judge Murphy also used a similar argument when ruling against Webex because it was a distraction to him ie., he's not a robot. MOO

That's the first time we've had confirmation that he did sign the AA!
Since the AA is sealed, this would have to be an assumption, not fact. Unless perhaps they can confirm a source? That would be very helpful because if Murphy agreed this AA was adequate to make an arrest then criticized its length and content when he sealed it from the public, he's got some explaining to do, IMO & JMO.

ETU: LS says attorney IE confirmed to her that Murphy signed off on the arrest. Did PM not read it the 1st time or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this was posted earlier, but it's really the first time I've seen pics of Barry's family (from trial).

Barry Morphew's defense insists he's innocent on final day of preliminary hearing | Daily Mail Online

Just wanted to add, in Unmasked's video, she said that Barry just got up and walked out (when it was time for him to leave the chambers), after the judge's announcement about the Sept 17 hearing. He didn't say anything or even look at his family (sister and mom, I think she said the girls had already walked out.)

She also mentioned that on Monday, Barry was able to freely walk around the room and chat, during breaks, but yesterday, he had 2 bailiffs standing close by, and anytime he tried to move or communicate with his family, they stepped up beside him.

Struggling to keep up with you all its hard having to work and being in Australia, I need to read all of the last thread which I'll do now just want to say big thanks to everyone for all the tweets and updates of what's going on in court. Just want to add I'm sure this will go to trial. Off to catch up. Here for Suzanne till the end.
MOO

This is a morbid question but here goes…if they found Suzanne’s skeletal remains could they test the bones for dart tranquilizer? Would it only be in tissue & muscle or could her bones have absorbed some of it too? Wait let me look that up and see if I can answer my own question. Standby if anyone else has wondered about this…

Ok well that took longer and was harder than I thought. How did we ever live without Google or the internet? God forbid any of us are ever under investigation and LE finds all the crazy things we have looked up online. :D

Anyway I didn’t find anything specifically about detecting tranquilizer dart medication like ketamine in human bones postmortem, however this was very interesting:

Human bone marrow as a tissue in post-mortem identification and determination of psychoactive Substances-Screening methodology - PubMed

If 30 drugs can be absorbed into bone marrow, including antidepressants, then it seems like tranquilizers might also be detectable. And I forgot about teeth & hair too.

In researching this question I came across something else that I wish I hadn’t read. And if it must remain in my head then it’s going in all of your heads too! :p So I read an article that says in rare cases, a human that has been shot with a tranquilizer dart will not become sedated but instead the drug will cause a paralytic effect where the person will be awake and conscious while rendered motionless. :eek: Omg that’s terrifying & the stuff of nightmares. :( You’re welcome.

Edited to add you might also be interested in checking out CIA poison air dart guns. Not related to this case but very interesting & scary too! Yeah I’m going to sleep now & hope I don’t have a bad dream. Happy thoughts…happy thoughts…night!

This is a morbid question but here goes…if they found Suzanne’s skeletal remains could they test the bones for dart tranquilizer? Would it only be in tissue & muscle or could her bones have absorbed some of it too? Wait let me look that up and see if I can answer my own question. Standby if anyone else has wondered about this…

Ok well that took longer and was harder than I thought. How did we ever live without Google or the internet? God forbid any of us are ever under investigation and LE finds all the crazy things we have looked up online. :D

Anyway I didn’t find anything specifically about detecting tranquilizer dart medication like ketamine in human bones postmortem, however this was very interesting:

Human bone marrow as a tissue in post-mortem identification and determination of psychoactive Substances-Screening methodology - PubMed

If 30 drugs can be absorbed into bone marrow, including antidepressants, then it seems like tranquilizers might also be detectable. And I forgot about teeth & hair too.

In researching this question I came across something else that I wish I hadn’t read. And if it must remain in my head then it’s going in all of your heads too! :p So I read an article that says in rare cases, a human that has been shot with a tranquilizer dart will not become sedated but instead the drug will cause a paralytic effect where the person will be awake and conscious while rendered motionless. :eek: Omg that’s terrifying & the stuff of nightmares. :( You’re welcome.

Edited to add you might also be interested in checking out CIA poison air dart guns. Not related to this case but very interesting & scary too! Yeah I’m going to sleep now & hope I don’t have a bad dream. Happy thoughts…happy thoughts…night!
Fascinating reading. Thank you for sharing!

It's now at about 16:10 in the video.

Thanks for catching that. It always made sense based on how Judge Murphy wrote about the AA in his decision to seal it, but good to have it confirmed.
It has never made sense to me. Could you please explain why he would find the AA adequate for an arrest then turn around and criticize its length and probative value. I just don't get it. TIA
MOO

Morphew: Hearing continues with questioning of FBI agent

8/24/21

• Barry claimed Suzanne was using alcohol and drugs, and when she needed money she went to him. He was her ATM.
Lol. Sorry, but that is truly laughable. We all know who was threatening whom & using DV as a tool in his control arsenal....unless SM is the true narcissist here, pushing Barry around until he couldn't take it anymore? I want to see proof of her addictions, testimony from witnesses of it. We know how handy her husband is with a gun.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member