Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Andy, Suzanne had put about $500,000 of her inheritance money into the house, but I've never heard their money was mostly her money.

Other than that I don't think she had any income herself so was probably completely dependent on BM for money. He was said to control the finances and pay the bills. Forcing Suzanne to ask for money was just another way to control her. Imo
There was mention in the preliminary that Suzanne helped Barry with the bookkeeping. But yes, it appears their money...other than whatever Suzanne had stashed in the two accounts that it was revealed she opened....was joint. There has been much discussion about how Colorado treats inheritance, but we know that some amount of that if not all went into the Puma Path house. We have zero knowledge about where and how the proceeds from the sale of the PP house were handled. Nothing about their financial situation was revealed in the preliminary and if you recall the judge seemed disinclined to have more testimony during the preliminary about the fact their marriage was crumbling so they did not get into hearsay about what Suzanne might have relay regarding their finances to any of her friends.

What I cannot fathom is that if BM is her ATM, how did she manage to go and meet JL unless JL paid for her travel. And what was BM doing during those trips ? If SM had been working she could have disguised them as work trips. How did she manage to hoodwink BM and managed to have an affair across states ? I guess it could be that BM never thought SM was capable of cheating and may be trusted her. So it could be that during the weekend, either SM could have admitted the affair to him so that he would leave her or he could have come across the chats and went on to murder her. I believe what JL has said that if BM had known earlier he would have definitely clashed with JL knowing he had a family as well.

I think Barry's "control" over Suzanne has been probably over misinterpreted....obviously she was able to come and go under the guise of visiting family and friends and obviously she had access to money. It is entirely possible that "that" quote was taken out of context of a larger discussion. I do agree that I think Barry trusted her up until some unknown point in time. Barry was the income producer so it may have been a flip response to a question about where income came from...we don't know so really can't make assumptions.

I’m trying to figure out where Barry was between 2:44 PM and 5:30 PM. Did he possibly take her body somewhere (even a temporary move) in this timeframe?

He initially arrived home at 2:44 PM. When did he leave again to go to Salida Stove and Spa? (Or wherever he really went.)

Where was he when the truck door opened at 4:44 pm?

Here are clips from several articles.

Investigators say for the next several hours, the doors on the truck were being opened and closed.

At 4:44 p.m., Morphew’s truck door opened and closed. At 5:25 p.m., the gear shift went from park to reverse and moved backward in the driveway 95 feet.

Morphew’s defense says he visited the Salida Stove and Spa between 4 and 5:30 p.m. that day, and he spoke with two employees at the store.

Investigators say for the next several hours, the doors on the truck were being opened and closed. At 5:33 p.m., they say the truck apparently had some kind of system reboot, but agents couldn’t explain what would cause this. Afterward, the truck was moved down the driveway about 100 feet.
I do not believe he was at the spa store on that day and at that time - I would need proof either via security camera or a receipt - considering their posted hours close at 2pm...
JMO

I never saw this referenced in any tweets. I only saw that there was male DNA on her handlebars and seat. Barry's DNA was on the seat. The partial DNA from the glovebox in the car was tied to three suspects in a sexual assault in Arizona and Chicago. DNA from bike and vehicle were not the same. We really don't know anything about the individuals that work on our cars and our bikes; so this doesn't mean much.JMO
There was some brief mention of a backseat also, but it's water under the bridge IMO for now, LE decided it had no relevance and that is their position at the point of this preliminary.

Not sure if this was posted earlier, but it's really the first time I've seen pics of Barry's family (from trial).

Barry Morphew's defense insists he's innocent on final day of preliminary hearing | Daily Mail Online

Just wanted to add, in Unmasked's video, she said that Barry just got up and walked out (when it was time for him to leave the chambers), after the judge's announcement about the Sept 17 hearing. He didn't say anything or even look at his family (sister and mom, I think she said the girls had already walked out.)

She also mentioned that on Monday, Barry was able to freely walk around the room and chat, during breaks, but yesterday, he had 2 bailiffs standing close by, and anytime he tried to move or communicate with his family, they stepped up beside him.
BBM
Good! It irritated my soul he could walk around, be chatty cathy and communicate with his family those other days.

I watched the prosecution team interview last night. I’m concerned. I think that the Judge will probably bind over for trial, but I am unsure about M1 or M2. I expected more of a smoking gun. Without Suzanne’s body and phone, this is tougher. Barry seemed to cover those tracks well. No article of clothing or anything tying to Suzanne seems to have been recovered from the trash dumps. Suzanne told her best friend about Barry having affairs, when she actually was the one doing that. Prosecution did not find evidence of Barry having affairs. So could Suzanne have been lying? If she was lying to make herself look better when she left him, could she have been lying about the domestic violence? I’m just trying to think like a juror, this isn’t my opinion. We know what he did. Would we put him in jail for life based on this evidence? And I want more fire from the prosecution. Make me feel you are fighting for what you believe in. Fight for Suzanne.

Great post. Will a juror think differently than someone who has followed the case for 15 months? Will the jury find out about his altercation at a job site back in Indiana? Will they get to see his 27 second plea for SM? Will they watch his secret interview with TD? These puzzle pieces have helped form my opinion of BM.

Whoops! I thought I read it here on the threads last night. It was late and maybe I misunderstood. I will delete. Thank you!

Not sure why quoted post didn’t show up. Do we have a link stating SM did not have an ATM card and that Barry stated HE was her ATM? Thanks!

ETA - website is wonky for me today. Here’s the link to the article that speaks of BM saying HE was SM’s ATM.
Morphew: Hearing continues with questioning of FBI agent

Last edited:
What I cannot fathom is that if BM is her ATM, how did she manage to go and meet JL unless JL paid for her travel. And what was BM doing during those trips ? If SM had been working she could have disguised them as work trips. How did she manage to hoodwink BM and managed to have an affair across states ? I guess it could be that BM never thought SM was capable of cheating and may be trusted her. So it could be that during the weekend, either SM could have admitted the affair to him so that he would leave her or he could have come across the chats and went on to murder her. I believe what JL has said that if BM had known earlier he would have definitely clashed with JL knowing he had a family as well.
I wonder how the affair managed to escape detection by Barry (if it did). I recall months ago there was a tidbit dropped that he had shown up unannounced at a girls’ weekend she was attending out of state and it sounded very much like he hasn’t believed her. I can’t recall who provided that info but I did read it here and not on an unapproved site. I’ve been wondering if he has always been that controlling and suspicious or if it developed after he had become aware of the affair. Im guessing the former but I do wonder.

Here ya go:

Cahill confirmed that Barry Morphew had been excluded from the DNA on Suzanne’s bike grips, a cushion in her car, and on her glove box. There were some issues, however, as Cahill noted he never saw the final version of the arrest affidavit and, in fact, only reviewed the first 19 pages. The entire affidavit is 130 pages long. Judge Murphy signed off on the arrest affidavit.
Thank you so much!

Here ya go:

Cahill confirmed that Barry Morphew had been excluded from the DNA on Suzanne’s bike grips, a cushion in her car, and on her glove box. There were some issues, however, as Cahill noted he never saw the final version of the arrest affidavit and, in fact, only reviewed the first 19 pages. The entire affidavit is 130 pages long. Judge Murphy signed off on the arrest affidavit.
Wow! not only a conflict, but how can he NOT have come to a decision?

Here ya go:

BBM.
If I were the prosecutor, I'd find the place where the Morphew cars and bikes were serviced. I think the most likely sources are the technicians who serviced them.

According to Andy, Suzanne had put about $500,000 of her inheritance money into the house, but I've never heard their money was mostly her money.

Other than that I don't think she had any income herself so was probably completely dependent on BM for money. He was said to control the finances and pay the bills. Forcing Suzanne to ask for money was just another way to control her. Imo
BBM - I agree. We call it controlling and coercive behaviour in the UK and it is a criminal offence. If this was the case. It could be that they had a 'traditional' marriage whereby SM was given an allowance maybe?

About the DNA....

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

Replying to
@LaurenScharfTV
#SuzanneMorphew bike had DNA of #BarryMorphew but not on the handlebars. Rohrich keeps telling Eytan that he doesn't know where on the bike that Morphews DNA was located.

ETA - link to more DNA information

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

·
Aug 23
Replying to
@LaurenScharfTV
Eytan is showing the body cam video of #BarryMorphew touching the bike. She says he was touching the back of the bike near the seat and Rohrich is saying you can't see from this angle because there is another person in front of Barry.

Last edited:
And just before I "love you and leave you", I believe that when Barry's truck arrived home at 2.44pm his door opened but did not close - is that right? Well, that's what I'd do if I didn't want anyone to know I was home. Arrive quietly, park at a distance, open the truck door and get out, but not shut the door, because you can't do that quietly.

Great post. Will a juror think differently than someone who has followed the case for 15 months? Will the jury find out about his altercation at a job site back in Indiana? Will they get to see his 27 second plea for SM? Will they watch his secret interview with TD? These puzzle pieces have helped form my opinion of BM.
I'm the other way. I have purposefully dipped in and out of this thread since it began. I like to look at evidence produced and come to a decision that way, so that I can look at evidence the same way a jury would.

was it the same? because if it was - BM will walk.

No, it wasn't the same. I don't believe it was ever stated that it was.
If it was, you can bet MSM (and the defense) would be making a big deal out of it.
I think OP is mistaken.

Unknown DNA was found on Suzanne's bike grips and handlebars. It did not match Barry, although some of Barry's DNA was found on the bike's seat.

There was also DNA found on Suzanne's glovebox in her car. When investigators ran that DNA through a database (CODIS), it was a partial match to three suspects in different sex assault cases: one out of Tempe and another out of Chicago. Those cases are all unsolved.

Court: Unknown DNA found on Suzanne Morphew's bike amid her disappearance - KRDO

I wonder how the affair managed to escape detection by Barry (if it did). I recall months ago there was a tidbit dropped that he had shown up unannounced at a girls’ weekend she was attending out of state and it sounded very much like he hasn’t believed her. I can’t recall who provided that info but I did read it here and not on an unapproved site. I’ve been wondering if he has always been that controlling and suspicious or if it developed after he had become aware of the affair. Im guessing the former but I do wonder.
I think it was from one of SM's friends. If I have time later and someone else does not find it, I will look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndieLiz