UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claudia Lawrence: timeline of her disappearance

First time poster, this case fascinates me just posting the Guardian article with a timeline of events up to this point.

I have read through the majority of the threads but some information on that timeline I was unaware of.

Maybe of interest to some of you.
X
Do you think the thankyou to the public might be because of the the same people that had contacted Joan re the supspicious behaviour of a man emerging from Buttercrambe woods with a spade were phoning in again querying why police werent searching that location?
The person in Buttercambe woods could be setting traps for badgers, which is illegal

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but I would like to know if a body / remains found after what could be up to almost 13 Years would be in a state where more than just the identity of the person could be discovered.
I was thinking of the DNA of a culprit left by liaison or in a more permanent way?

Do we have any sleuths who have forensic / pathology or study of bones experience.
It depends on how it’s gone in, killers often wrap bodies, put them in bags, cases etc and weigh down with heavy objects bricks rocks etc. I’d think a lot depends on the material potential used to wrap the body - even an unwrapped naked body will have skeletal remains - teeth etc which can be used for I.d. If it’s wrapped the material could hold the perps DNA profile. If they find her it could be a nail in the coffin for the perps

I have wondered whether Claudia could have been killed by someone as a revenge in retaliation for something her father did in his line of duty as a solicitor. It’s only a slight possibility though. The general feeling seems that it was something to do with her relationships which is perhaps more likely but it is also possible her father had enemies and this was a way of hurting him deeply. I’m not convinced though!

I have wondered whether Claudia could have been killed by someone as a revenge in retaliation for something her father did in his line of duty as a solicitor. It’s only a slight possibility though. The general feeling seems that it was something to do with her relationships which is perhaps more likely but it is also possible her father had enemies and this was a way of hurting him deeply. I’m not convinced though!
I was reading that whilst her dad was a prosecuting solicitor in the North East of England that he moved to Malton so that he had more time with his family and he changed from being a prosecutor to a conveyancing solicitor.
That would be for 30 Years and so I can only imagine that if someone did seek revenge that it would be over a land conveyancing.

That seems extremely unlikely. Attacks on solicitors and their interests only known in the most serious organised crime / paramilitary cases e.g. Finucane.

But it raises a broader point that all the candidate motives appear strange. The most likely - something connected with personal relationships - are still pretty odd. You can understand a man being concerned about an affair becoming public knowledge and damaging his marriage. But to consider murder (probably with accomplices) to protect that is extraordinary. Similarly, whilst jealousy can trigger wild bursts of emotion, those emotions don't fit with a well-planned and executed operation, probably involving a few people.

Could a relationship have got mixed up with other interests, including financial? Blackmail is one variant of that - blackmailers do get murdered, especially within criminal circles. But if anything Claudia seemed to excited by / supportive of those men she met with shady(ish) sources of money. Her personality doesn't seem compatible with the ruthlessness needed for blackmail. And she didn't seem particularly focused on making a lot of money.

I was reading that whilst her dad was a prosecuting solicitor in the North East of England that he moved to Malton so that he had more time with his family and he changed from being a prosecutor to a conveyancing solicitor.
That would be for 30 Years and so I can only imagine that if someone did seek revenge that it would be over a land conveyancing.

With a Chubb lock you have to deliberately turn the key.
With a Yale, the door slams shut and locks.
From what you describe Vixey, Claudia may not have locked her door after returning home.

This struck me as possible.

Very good point IMO as I only have Chubb lock and just occasionally I forget to lock it and I'm surprised to find it unlocked when I go to leave again. So if someone wanted to enter they would only have to turn my door handle (if it wasn't locked)

That seems extremely unlikely. Attacks on solicitors and their interests only known in the most serious organised crime / paramilitary cases e.g. Finucane.

But it raises a broader point that all the candidate motives appear strange. The most likely - something connected with personal relationships - are still pretty odd. You can understand a man being concerned about an affair becoming public knowledge and damaging his marriage. But to consider murder (probably with accomplices) to protect that is extraordinary. Similarly, whilst jealousy can trigger wild bursts of emotion, those emotions don't fit with a well-planned and executed operation, probably involving a few people.

Could a relationship have got mixed up with other interests, including financial? Blackmail is one variant of that - blackmailers do get murdered, especially within criminal circles. But if anything Claudia seemed to excited by / supportive of those men she met with shady(ish) sources of money. Her personality doesn't seem compatible with the ruthlessness needed for blackmail. And she didn't seem particularly focused on making a lot of money.

good points.

My other thoughts are a male being really humiliated by being rejected after an affair when their marriage might have been destroyed too.
I read a few books on Peter Sutcliffe and they suggested that a huge turning point/trigger was when Sutcliffe was humiliated by a prostitute who laughed at him when he couldn’t perform.
Maybe there was an affair and the male was dumped and humiliated as it had happened to others too and felt foolish that he’d fallen into same situation.
All my own opinions.

X

The person in Buttercambe woods could be setting traps for badgers, which is illegal

Quite possibly but would you accept that as a reason to not to search an area if your child had disappeared and police viewed her disappearance as a suspected murder.
It seems Joan wasnt completely happy with the response she got from the police all those years ago or she wouldnt have bought it up again now.

JMO

good points.

My other thoughts are a male being really humiliated by being rejected after an affair when their marriage might have been destroyed too.
I read a few books on Peter Sutcliffe and they suggested that a huge turning point/trigger was when Sutcliffe was humiliated by a prostitute who laughed at him when he couldn’t perform.
Maybe there was an affair and the male was dumped and humiliated as it had happened to others too and felt foolish that he’d fallen into same situation.
All my own opinions.

I vaguely remember a discussion about this a long time ago in the thread with added possibility of another one (or more) disgruntled/humiliated men discussing her and getting angry about it. JMO MOO

Good suggestion, and not to be ruled out. But Sutcliffe was a strange young man at that time, with a track record of being bullied and humiliated, and a feeling of powerlessness and sexual weakness. He also acted alone.

In this case, we are (mostly) talking about middle aged, mostly pretty successful, married men. And a crime that appears to have been very well-executed, and probably involving more than one person.

good points.

All my own opinions.

Good link - the pics are good - though what was it like in 2009? Was it accessible and as clean as recent pics or overgrown?
I'm not sure. If you compare the alleyway pix, they show both, though it could be down to the time of year.

I recall reading that Halliwell took police to a pond where they found lots of Womens clothing submersed.
It transpired that very few articles found were matched to any missing persons and only one or two items were those of someone it was proven he killed. Most likely garments left in his taxi or from a washing line.

It would be so easy to put him in the frame for CL but in doing so the case would then be closed and the true culprit would remain free.

If he was responsible, NYP would be moving heaven and earth to nail him. They appear to be convinced that he is not and could not be involved.

Last edited:
I have been giving some thought on the night of the 18th vs the morning of the 19th.

I'm leaning more towards hte morning of the 19th, mostly because there is lack of evidence of anything untoward (that we know of) in Claudia's home.

HOWEVER.

If it was the 18th, I think the suspect would be more likely to be female, with help from a male to cover up.
If it was the 19th, I think the suspect would be more likely to be male.

I recall reading that Halliwell took police to a pond where they found lots of Womens clothing submersed.
It transpired that very few articles found were matched to any missing persons and only one or two items were those of someone it was proven he killed. Most likely garments left in his taxi or from a washing line.

It would be so easy to put him in the frame for CL but in doing so the case would then be closed and the true culprit would remain free.

If he was responsible, NYP would be moving heaven and earth to nail him. They appear to be convinced that the is not and could not be involved.
I seem to recall that another poster said that CH was in hospital. Did we ever have a source to support that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gentlegirl