Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
She means that mRNA is degraded (instructions on how to make the protein are mRNA in this case). mRNA will be eventually degraded once it enters the body. Before it degraded, its used to make spike protein (mRNA is translated into the spike protein). Spike protein is what helps the immune system to prepare for covid infection.
mRNA is not very stable (which is why Pfizer has to be frozen at ultra cold temperatures even before injection). So its not going to last long in the body. The goal of the mRNA is to make spike protein. It's the goal of all current vaccines.

If mRNA is unstable, why does Moderna not have to be frozen?

I guess I'm about to find out just how well my double shot of Moderna holds up.
I'm down at my little sailboat, in a marina.
The bathrooms here have no windows and zero ventalation.
I used them at least 5 times, as well as the box store Target.

It's a holiday here. Many people out and about.
Yes, bathrooms were very busy.

I surely hope that I do not get sick!
If I do, not only am I going to be angry, but, I will question everything that my government has told me for close to two years.

It is much better to just go with the flow, Kali. Your brain and psyche will stay much healthier, and your immune system stronger!!!

We are ALL just learning as we go along.....

Take advantage of the ebbs and flows on your boat...gotta be good for your health.

I guess I'm about to find out just how well my double shot of Moderna holds up.
I'm down at my little sailboat, in a marina.
The bathrooms here have no windows and zero ventalation.
I used them at least 5 times, as well as the box store Target.

It's a holiday here. Many people out and about.
Yes, bathrooms were very busy.

I surely hope that I do not get sick!
If I do, not only am I going to be angry, but, I will question everything that my government has told me for close to two years.

Your government is trying to keep up with everything. Your government is funding EVERYTHING.

Be angry at the unvaccinated who believe, and the MSM media who spread incredible crapola...

When we truly comprehend the extreme exhaustion, and the extravagant costs of, first responders, ERs, hospitals, regeneron clinics.... ALL this horrible combination being handed to the misinformed unvaccinated....

it can make one sick, anxious, mindboggled............. and angry.

oh yeah!! And yoga. That really helps too!!! Seriously.

Your government is trying to keep up with everything. Your government is funding EVERYTHING.

Be angry at the unvaccinated who believe, and the MSM media who spread incredible crapola...

When we truly comprehend the extreme exhaustion, and the extravagant costs of, first responders, ERs, hospitals, regeneron clinics.... ALL this horrible combination being handed to the misinformed unvaccinated....

it can make one sick, anxious, mindboggled............. and angry.

oh yeah!! And yoga. That really helps too!!! Seriously.
IMO, the only one in control of this situation is a virus.

I guess you can get angry at a virus, but then you might as well be angry at hurricanes, earthquakes, too much rain, too little rain, gravity, etc, etc.

IMO, the only one in control of this situation is a virus.

I guess you can get angry at a virus, but then you might as well be angry at hurricanes, earthquakes, too much rain, too little rain, gravity, etc, etc.

True that it's ultimately the virus responsible.

However, it shouldn't be like pulling teeth for people to follow simple mitigation measures. The constant outrage over masking boggles my mind.

A lot of it is still out of our control, but our behavior absolutely plays a role here too.

Israel’s Covid chief calls for fourth vaccine dose
Israel should begin preparations for administering fourth coronavirus vaccinations, the nation’s Chief Covid-19 Officer Salman Zarka has said

<snip> Israel should begin preparations for administering fourth coronavirus vaccinations, the nation’s pandemic coordinator has said as daily infections continue to rise.

Israel’s Covid chief calls for fourth vaccine dose

Virus czar calls to begin readying for eventual 4th vaccine dose
Salman Zarka says COVID-19 is here to stay for and that next booster shot may be adjusted for variants: ‘This is our life from now on, in waves’

<snip> Zarka also said that the next booster shot may be modified to better protect against new variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19, such as the highly infectious Delta strain.

<snip>
“It seems that if we learn the lessons from the fourth wave, we must consider the [possibility of subsequent] waves with the new variants, such as the new one from South America,” he said at the time.

“And thinking about this and the waning of the vaccines and the antibodies, it seems every few months — it could be once a year or five or six months — we’ll need another shot.”

Virus czar calls to begin readying for eventual 4th vaccine dose

However, it shouldn't be like pulling teeth for people to follow simple mitigation measures. The constant outrage over masking boggles my mind.

A lot of it is still out of our control, but our behavior absolutely plays a role here too.
Yes, I agree.

We know viruses exploit weaknesses in the physical immune system, I think the virus also exploits weaknesses in our behaviours, as you say: our propensity for widespread travel and mixing in close contact with crowds/ strangers.

IMO, many people don't understand that the virus is a real enemy, the virus is a parasite that is exploiting us, through any weakness it can find. They believe that their enemy is 'government'.

IMO, they're ignorant of the history of epidemic diseases, ignorant about science and public health, inherently distrustful of human authority, which they view with a conspiracy mindset.

And the virus is exploiting that, too.

Yes, I agree.

We know viruses exploit weaknesses in the physical immune system, I think the virus also exploits weaknesses in our behaviours, as you say: our propensity for widespread travel and mixing in close contact with crowds/ strangers.

IMO, many people don't understand that the virus is a real enemy, the virus is a parasite that is exploiting us, through any weakness it can find. They believe that their enemy is 'government'.

IMO, they're ignorant of the history of epidemic diseases, ignorant about science and public health, inherently distrustful of human authority, which they view with a conspiracy mindset.

And the virus is exploiting that, too.

Absolutely agree. And it's a scary thought. :(

Yes, behavior plays a huge role, IMO. Those of us following these Covid threads understand this. We have a good idea of what we need to do to stay safe and we do it. We get vaccinated (and DH and I will get our Pfizer boosters as soon as we can), we wear masks and distance from others, we stay informed about what's going on in our areas. We avoid risky behaviors and situations as much as possible.

Unfortunately with the highly contagious Delta variant, taking all these precautions doesn't guarantee we won't get Covid, have a serious case, be hospitalized, or even die from it. Breakthrough cases are still pretty rare but seem to be on the increase with Delta. I know three people who have had breakthrough cases--fortunately, they all recovered without hospitalization and are doing well.

DH and I are elderly and sometimes I think that sooner or later, Covid will get us. Of course, we could also die in a car crash or of heart disease, cancer, stroke, flu (we'll get our flu shots soon), etc.

COVID-19 variant mu detected in 49 states

Mu variant, first detected in Columbia.

More about Mu vs Delta:
WHO says delta remains the ‘most concerning’ Covid variant despite emergence of mu

The fast-spreading delta variant remains the “most concerning” coronavirus strain despite the emergence of the mu variant, World Health Organization officials said Tuesday.

The mu variant, which was added to the WHO’s list of variants “of interest” last week, has mutations that suggest it could evade the immune protection provided by natural infection or vaccination, Maria Van Kerkhove, the agency’s technical lead for Covid-19, said during a virtual press event. Still, the new variant — first detected in Colombia but now confirmed in at least 39 countries — hasn’t taken off like delta, she said.

“The delta variant for me is the one that’s most concerning because of the increased transmissibility,” Kerkhove said, adding it has at least double the transmissibility of the original ancestral virus that emerged in late 2019. [...]

Any new virus that emerges has to be able to compete with the “best of class,” and right now that is delta, said Dr. Mike Ryan, head of the WHO’s health emergencies program. The delta variant tends to “outcompete” other variants, like mu, he said. [...]

“We will expect to see more” variants like delta, he said. “Not every variant means the sky is going to fall in. Each variant needs to be looked at for its characteristics in terms of its potential to cause more severe disease, its potential to transmit, its potential to escape vaccines.”

Parents find out from other parents that all of school’s kindergarten teachers have COVID-19

Tue, September 7, 2021, 12:27 PM

Every kindergarten teacher at a school in San Antonio, Texas has tested positive for COVID-19, and the students’ parents are upset because the school didn’t notify families — who say they found out from each other.

Staffers at Kinder Ranch Elementary did not share the vital information with parents; instead, it was posted to a Facebook page, where, according to a local report, an unnamed teacher wrote: “Good afternoon, there will be an official letter sent out soon, but I wanted to take a moment to let you know the following … All teachers in kindergarten have tested positive for covid over the last few days.

4e5409828f2e00d7749be2859ceae1cb

A kindergarten room sits empty as students from that class quarantine at home. Every kindergarten teacher at a school in San Antonio has tested positive for COVID-19, and the students’ parents are upset because the school didn’t notify families.

“I will not return to school till September 13th. Although it is optional, I would encourage wearing a mask to school,” the post read.

The district does not require mask-wearing, as mask mandates are outlawed in the state of Texas since Gov. Greg Abbott signed an executive order.

The district has urged mask-wearing, but is forbidden from issuing a mandate.

Last edited:
Mayor says those who don't take vaccine are selfish

COVID-19 patient responds to mayor's charge he's "selfish" about vaccination

What you said wasn't just repellent; it was personal. In my family of four—one with access to great doctors—we came to different vaccination conclusions based on personal circumstances.

My wife's mom, who lives with us, is in her 70s and had risk factors that made it a fast "yes" for the vaccine. I am 60, which was reason enough to proceed. I got the first shot but had a very bad reaction. After consultation with my doctor, I chose not to pursue the second shot.

My wife, the picture of health and in her 40s, has suffered from bad reactions to medication throughout her life. She thus chose not to vaccinate, as did my 16-year-old daughter. Both got COVID. Neither was hospitalized.

The three of us are not selfish, Ms. Mayor. We're good people who made rational medical assessments according to our individual needs and risk profiles. And shaming people into changing their behavior for the greater good isn't the best way to motivate your constituents.

Condescension isn't particularly effective either. Indeed, your attitude—and the attitude of so many public policy types and experts—only pushes those not inclined to take the vaccines to harden their position.

Last edited:
WHO says Covid will mutate like the flu and is likely here to stay

“”People have said we’re going to eliminate or eradicate the virus,” Ryan said. “No we’re not, very, very unlikely.”

If the world had taken early steps to stop the spread of the virus, the situation today could have been very different, WHO officials said.

“We had a chance in the beginning of this pandemic,” Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical lead on Covid-19, said Tuesday. “This pandemic did not need to be this bad.”

106553902-15905961992020-05-03t000000z_392955759_rc24hg9p1seb_rtrmadp_0_health-coronavirus-who-ryan.jpeg

Executive Director of the World Health Organization’s (WHO) emergencies program Mike Ryan speaks at a news conference on the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Geneva, Switzerland.

Last edited:
Mayor says those who don't take vaccine are selfish

COVID-19 patient responds to mayor's charge he's "selfish" about vaccination

What you said wasn't just repellent; it was personal. In my family of four—one with access to great doctors—we came to different vaccination conclusions based on personal circumstances.

My wife's mom, who lives with us, is in her 70s and had risk factors that made it a fast "yes" for the vaccine. I am 60, which was reason enough to proceed. I got the first shot but had a very bad reaction. After consultation with my doctor, I chose not to pursue the second shot.

My wife, the picture of health and in her 40s, has suffered from bad reactions to medication throughout her life. She thus chose not to vaccinate, as did my 16-year-old daughter. Both got COVID. Neither was hospitalized.

The three of us are not selfish, Ms. Mayor. We're good people who made rational medical assessments according to our individual needs and risk profiles. And shaming people into changing their behavior for the greater good isn't the best way to motivate your constituents.

Condescension isn't particularly effective either. Indeed, your attitude—and the attitude of so many public policy types and experts—only pushes those not inclined to take the vaccines to harden their position.
Ha! The definition of selfish: lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

The letter writer never once mentions the other people that he, his wife and his daughter may have spread the virus to. Those other people may have then spread it to others, and along the way, some people got very sick, were hospitalized, and died.

No, he only discusses his and his family members personal well-being.

So he's proving the mayor's observation correct.

We just received notice that our hospital is officially on diversion. Our ICU and medical beds are completely full.

Anyone who thinks kids, even toddlers, don’t get sick with COVID needs to come to work with me for a day.

Wow. Do you know how many children with Covid are in the hospital? We need vaccines for kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?