SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy frijoles. My family is from Charleston and most of my mom's side still lives there. For some reason I just got a wild hair to search my cousins/aunts/uncles FB friends lists and....yep, a wide assortment of the Murdaughs are on there! SO tempted to add them since they will see we have several mutual friends and might accept it.

'Good Samaritan' Drove a Bleeding Alex Murdaugh to the Hospital After Shooting, His Lawyer Says

He continued, saying, "In any event, when the Deputies arrived, Alex Murdaugh was not at the scene. He was picked up by a good Samaritan and who drove him toward the hospital."

Griffin says he does not know the identity of the "good Samaritan."

"They ultimately met up with the ambulance on the highway, where he was examined and because of the extent of his injuries, the EMTs call for him to be airlifted to the hospital. He had significant head trauma and there was blood at the scene, which is indicated by the evidence cones placed in the roadway. I understand that most of the cones mark blood.

"I presume that the deputy checked the no visible sign of injury on the incident report because he was not able to assess Alex since [Alex] had left the scene before the deputy arrived," he wrote.
This atty has an answer for everything.

I believe it has been reported that Alex and Buster had not returned to live in the Moselle property after the murders, but were living with Alex's brother Randy in Hampton.

I also agree that the timing of the announcement of the crime is really strange. There is a good discussion several theads back about the difference in embezzeling from a plaintiff's settlement funds in trust vs internally within the firm's funds. If it was embezzling from the holdings of the partnership, for example, rather than the operating funds or the settlement funds in trust, I think the missing funds have been noted for several weeks, as the death of Alex's father would have required an audit to settle his share of the partnership. So I think the partners have known about the large amount of funds missing for weeks, and for some reason have not chosen to report this as a crime of embezzlement until forced to by Alex's accident. It would make the most sense that Alex had been confronted about the funds and the partner's intentions to deal with it very soon before his accident, maybe the addiction story was forthcoming and he was told to report to rehab, just as you say, above.

My guess is also that his brother Randy knew about these events and has chosen not to speak about it publicly. I don't have any reason to think that the other brother, John, is of the same knowledge. He lives in Okaite, near Hilton Head.

Curiously, the obituary of the patriarch, Randolph "Buster" Murdaugh II lists Alex's residence as in Islandton, although I suppose that could mean the county rather than a specific town.
The firm confronted him and he reacted, yep. I wonder what funds were embezzled and don't believe what his lawyer said about just lawyer's fees, nope.

I noted in the photographs from the scene of the alleged shooting of AM that there were several items of clothing hanging in the area behind the driver's seat of AM's vehicle. It looked like a few pressed shirts as well as some items in opaque plastic or vinyl protective covers (that might contain something like slacks, suits, or jackets). So, it looked like AM was packed to spend a few days away. I wonder if AM had also packed toiletries (thus indicating he'd be spending at least a few days away, and not that he had just picked up his dry cleaning and not taken it inside).

AM's attorney said AM had been headed to Charleston and had left "hours before," which is odd since the location where his car was parked by the side of the road (near St. John's Baptist Church, 15385 Old Salkehatchie Highway) is only 8-9 miles from his home at 4147 Moselle (Islandton), so one would expect that would take about 10 minutes or so to drive. So, it is unclear whether "hours before" was referring to hours before AM called 911 to report he'd been shot in the head or some other time frame (such as hours before the news broke about the events). When crimes are involved, actual times are so much more helpful than terms like "hours before" and one wonders why a more precise answer wasn't provided.

What was AM's destination in Charleston? Was he driving himself to rehab? And if so, was he doing so on his own volition, or had he been offered an ultimatum when he was confronted the day before by his law partners? (Something like, you check yourself into rehab TOMORROW or we report this theft to the authorities TODAY.). If AM had been offered an ultimatum, was anyone planning to accompany him to the door of rehab to make sure he actually admitted himself and didn't just promise to do that and instead take off or do something dangerous, like commit suicide or go postal on whoever discovered his theft or confronted him about it?

I ask because I think it odd that the law firm notified LE about the misappropriation of funds AFTER the alleged shot in the head at the side of the Old Saskehatchie Highway and not BEFORE. That is, LE was notified AFTER AM became a victim and not when he was merely a thief with a serious addiction who'd stolen from his place of business AND whose family was mostly annihilated 3 months before.

I know if I was one of those partners who'd just discovered my firm had been stolen from in a big way (millions of dollars, reportedly... and this is before the forensic accountants have even done their investigation) and the thief deflected the responsibility for that theft at his addiction, the FIRST thing I would be reconsidering is whether or not I should give him a pass when considering whether he might have been capable of murdering his family too and if so, whether those of us who confronted him might also be in danger.
Diddian, what are your thoughts on who this Johnny-on-the-spot "Good Samaritan" was? Do you think it was some random or someone known to the "victim"?

I think it’s important to note the actual wording that was used regarding the weapons used in the murders of Maggie and Paul.

“It is not immediately clear whether the weapons used in the murders have been recovered by law enforcement, although sources familiar with the inquiry have told me at least one of the weapons used in the double homicide belonged to the Murdaugh family.”

I’ve seen a lot of people interpreting this as only one of the weapons belonged to the Murdaughs; however, that’s not actually what was reported. We don’t know if it was one or both guns.

Murdaugh Murders: Does Prosecutor’s Recusal Shed Light On Direction Of Investigation?
Thank you for finding this MerryB!

Diddian, what are your thoughts on who this Johnny-on-the-spot "Good Samaritan" was? Do you think it was some random or someone known to the "victim"?
I don’t know who it was. AM may have lucked out and a kind stranger happened by, offered help, and delivered him to a location where emergency services could take custody of him.

But IMO, it certainly does look choreographed. The announcement that there is video from the nearby church is interesting and, if true, should be helpful in further assessing the legitimacy of the claim that the assistance came from a kind stranger v. was orchestrated.

Removing AM from the scene potentially removes other things from the scene as well, such as (for hypothetical examples), a gun with which AM might have inflicted his own wound, a burner phone on which AM may have been communicating, a red cup with alcohol inside or an open container or illicit drugs, if AM was carrying anything such as that.

An associate playing the part of an anonymous, kind, stranger showing up to help might have served the same purpose as AM did when he reportedly showed up at the hospital after the boat crash and was witnessed attempting to orchestrate events, align narratives, and control the release of information to LE.

We just don’t have enough information to make a judgment formed upon evidence. At best, we just have suspicions from past observation and our own judgments about what seems reasonable or not.

There’s a lot that doesn’t seem very reasonable to me. I hope LE has more than that and trust that they'll find out.

I don’t know who it was. AM may have lucked out and a kind stranger happened by, offered help, and delivered him to a location where emergency services could take custody of him.

But IMO, it certainly does look choreographed. The announcement that there is video from the nearby church is interesting and, if true, should be helpful in further assessing the legitimacy of the claim that the assistance came from a kind stranger v. was orchestrated.

Removing AM from the scene potentially removes other things from the scene as well, such as (for hypothetical examples), a gun with which AM might have inflicted his own wound, a burner phone on which AM may have been communicating, a red cup with alcohol inside or an open container or illicit drugs, if AM was carrying anything such as that.

An associate playing the part of an anonymous, kind, stranger showing up to help might have served the same purpose as AM did when he reportedly showed up at the hospital after the boat crash and was witnessed attempting to orchestrate events, align narratives, and control the release of information to LE.

We just don’t have enough information to make a judgment formed upon evidence. At best, we just have suspicions from past observation and our own judgments about what seems reasonable or not.

There’s a lot that doesn’t seem very reasonable to me. I hope LE has more than that and trust that they'll find out.

Far, far too many "coincidences" occurring with the looming background of 2 murders, a very powerful and wealthy family, very large amounts of missing $$$, and a legal representative offering multiple-choice answers:

Occam's Razor

I have been thinking they were the long, low white-roof building between the red bldg and the trees.

Have we seen the kennels in another photo? Or how are you thinking they are under the trees on the "down side" of the photo? Interested in more details from you so I can churn with them.o_O
I posted one to poster "otto" that you can see it good

I noted in the photographs from the scene of the alleged shooting of AM that there were several items of clothing hanging in the area behind the driver's seat of AM's vehicle. It looked like a few pressed shirts as well as some items in opaque plastic or vinyl protective covers (that might contain something like slacks, suits, or jackets). So, it looked like AM was packed to spend a few days away. I wonder if AM had also packed toiletries (thus indicating he'd be spending at least a few days away, and not that he had just picked up his dry cleaning and not taken it inside).

AM's attorney said AM had been headed to Charleston and had left "hours before," which is odd since the location where his car was parked by the side of the road (near St. John's Baptist Church, 15385 Old Salkehatchie Highway) is only 8-9 miles from his home at 4147 Moselle (Islandton), so one would expect that would take about 10 minutes or so to drive. So, it is unclear whether "hours before" was referring to hours before AM called 911 to report he'd been shot in the head or some other time frame (such as hours before the news broke about the events). When crimes are involved, actual times are so much more helpful than terms like "hours before" and one wonders why a more precise answer wasn't provided.

What was AM's destination in Charleston? Was he driving himself to rehab? And if so, was he doing so on his own volition, or had he been offered an ultimatum when he was confronted the day before by his law partners? (Something like, you check yourself into rehab TOMORROW or we report this theft to the authorities TODAY.). If AM had been offered an ultimatum, was anyone planning to accompany him to the door of rehab to make sure he actually admitted himself and didn't just promise to do that and instead take off or do something dangerous, like commit suicide or go postal on whoever discovered his theft or confronted him about it?

I ask because I think it odd that the law firm notified LE about the misappropriation of funds AFTER the alleged shot in the head at the side of the Old Saskehatchie Highway and not BEFORE. That is, LE was notified AFTER AM became a victim and not when he was merely a thief with a serious addiction who'd stolen from his place of business AND whose family was mostly annihilated 3 months before.

I know if I was one of those partners who'd just discovered my firm had been stolen from in a big way (millions of dollars, reportedly... and this is before the forensic accountants have even done their investigation) and the thief deflected the responsibility for that theft at his addiction, the FIRST thing I would be reconsidering is whether or not I should give him a pass when considering whether he might have been capable of murdering his family too and if so, whether those of us who confronted him might also be in danger.
I agree. It's also possible to opt for a rehab stay to keep one's mouth shut and LE at bay. This case gets more unbelievable every day.

Far, far too many "coincidences" occurring with the looming background of 2 murders, a very powerful and wealthy family, very large amounts of missing $$$, and a legal representative offering multiple-choice answers:

Occam's Razor
Amen to all of that. Definite cause for suspicion and pressure if those who should be investigating because things don't add up don't appear to be doing enough of it.

You mentioned in an earlier post that AM and BM had moved in with RM-IV in Hampton. I was not aware of that, but was distracted by personal events away from this case for a bit. Do you remember where you heard or saw that?

I also find it strange that AM had no dash cams in his vehicles, especially after his family appeared targeted. We have dash cams forward and aft in every one of our vehicles after our son was almost killed in an accident. Just wouldn't want the perp to get away. In fact, the dash cam that came with his car absolved our son of any guilt whatsoever in his accident.

Thank you, I agree...virtuous reasoning will prevail in the end.

If I came across someone who had been shot on a back road and that person was capable of being moved you can bet that I would take him away from the scene. I would not stay waiting for the shooter to come back. If he was able to call 911 in my car I would let him as he knows what happened. I think the good Samaritans were just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aprilssister94