Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I viewed several of the memorials yesterday, and was surprised to see very few masks.

Yeah, the funeral and graveside services for my relative (by marriage) was yesterday. He was of course an anti-mask and anti-vax person. Wife is still recovering. Only about 1 in 10 people wore masks, I am told. The funeral was indoors, where we have a mask mandate, so about ⅓ of the participants were masked there - apparently it's considered rude to try and make grieving people put on masks if they don't want to, I get it. I'm just anxiously waiting for the other shoe to drop and hoping like heck that none of the others get COVID from this event. One of the attendees is in his late 80's...

Geez ... there are some really unthinking people out there. This is a pub owner in Victoria who doesn't want to discriminate between those who are vaccinated and those who are not.

“I don’t see why we should be separated and not be able to have a beer together,” she said.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/br...e/news-story/0f1075340f3635dd5752041ad102e24f

Really? No concerns about personally enabling the spread of a deadly virus in the business that you own? No concerns about perhaps enabling the sickness and death of some of your patrons (and/or their families and associates)?
Let's just all have an unmasked beer together. No worries, mate.

Last edited:
Full house at Michigan Stadium last night and full house today at Ford Field for the Lions' season opener. Masks are required in indoor concourses at The Big House, but no restrictions or mask requirements at Ford Field. I think Michigan is on the cusp of a major Covid surge in the next few weeks, and these large gatherings are likely to be super-spreaders.

We started getting calls from Michigan Opera Theatre a couple of weeks ago. They always seem to call while we're preparing or having dinner, so we didn't answer the phone. We figured that we would eventually have to face the music - pun intended - and finally gave in to a call last week. Of course, they want us to subscribe to the 2021-22 dance and/or opera season, but we are not going to put ourselves in harm's way even though MOT requires proof of vaccination or a recent negative Covid test, and masks are required regardless of vaccination status. Specifically, the MOT representative said that they were trying to "drum up an audience" for the outdoor presentation of "Blue" at the Aretha Amphitheatre on the riverfront this weekend. It's understandable that these entertainment venues want to reopen, but it seems that the typical opera-going audience isn't quite ready to sit in a theatre with hundreds of other people: I know I'm not. That said, it would have been awesome to see "Rent" at the Fisher Theatre next month and Puccini's "La Boheme", upon which "Rent" is based, at the Detroit Opera House next April.

It is unfortunate that we who are vaccinated and ready for the world, cannot do those things that we want to do-- because of the selfish minority who don't give a fig about anybody but themselves. They fail to understand it is not about "personal choice" or
"freedom"--- Like you I fear the Michigan game and other events that draw large crowds, will turn out to be a super spreader here in Michigan.

'There's no vaccine against stupidity': Meet the doctor debunking anti-vax myths for multicultural Australia

Jamal Rifi gives up his front yard and retirement plans to fight COVID-19 in heart of Sydney Delta strain outbreak

He knew his multicultural community was high risk. "I lived in an area that is extremely vulnerable for people arriving from China," Dr Rifi says.

He put on his scrubs, went to Bunnings and bought a tent.

Fascinating story, and quite a remarkable man. I hope he gets to actually retire and enjoy using his new motorhome soon.

Yes a really fascinating story. I can't believe I hadn't heard of him before. What a truly good person.

Seems there is also an Australian Story episode about him too, unless it hasn't gone to air yet.
I must watch it.

Fascinating story, and quite a remarkable man. I hope he gets to actually retire and enjoy using his new motorhome soon.

We started vaccinating 12 years old and up today ... trying to get the high school kids done. The booking website crashed due to the overload of people trying to book appointments.

I heard a nurse on the radio saying how good it was to see all the kids at the vaccination clinics.

South Australian young teenagers eligible for Pfizer COVID vaccines

Also, we have a million doses of Moderna arriving this week. It looks like our vaccine supplies are really ramping up now.

The Moderna doses have been sourced from European Union countries and will be directed to local pharmacies.
Mr Morrison said there would be enough vaccines in the country by October to have offered everyone a vaccine jab.
As it happened Australia news: One million Moderna doses coming as outbreak accelerates in Victoria

Last edited:
It is something about the president not being able to put a mandate on Congress. They share powers. And Congress can override him with a 2/3 vote.

Not a very good explanation, but I have only heard it pieced together loosely. Someone else can probably explain it better.

The president cannot impose a vaccine mandate on Congress via executive order or in an agency or department regulation, according to the Congressional Institute.
Congress members, staff exempt from federal vaccine mandate | cbs8.com

Seems very odd that Congress, who by definition are hired to work for the American people, are not required to get a vaccine.
Reminds me of when Congress was exempt from Obamacare and the tax penalty for not having acquired Obamacare.

Covid deaths rare among fully vaccinated - ONS

Fully vaccinated people are much less likely to die with Covid-19 than those who aren't, or have had only one dose, figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show.

Out of more than 51,000 Covid deaths in England between January and July 2021, only 256 occurred after two doses.

They were mostly people at very high risk from illness from Covid-19.

Good to hear. Many people (including my daughter) believe that it doesn't matter if your vaccinated or not. She believes it's just if you're fat or generally unhealthy that Covid can kill you. There has been no way for me to convince her otherwise.

Covid deaths rare among fully vaccinated - ONS

Fully vaccinated people are much less likely to die with Covid-19 than those who aren't, or have had only one dose, figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show.

Out of more than 51,000 Covid deaths in England between January and July 2021, only 256 occurred after two doses.

They were mostly people at very high risk from illness from Covid-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes