Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What.u see.on the videos is not.real.life!
Thats.what they want you to see!

Jmo

I am reminded of all the van life couples that have broken up. I know it is difficult to live in a small space for very long. In my case in a 25 foot motor home with my husband and two little dogs. We have had a few tiffs and there is no room to cool off! It is always nice to get home.

add:

July 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks

July 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs

July 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park

July 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park

July 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks

July 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park

July 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in a tub at Mystic Hot Springs

July 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch

August 12: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park

August 13: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab, Utah

August 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah

August 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park

Van-lifer, 22, disappears after cross-country trip to Yellowstone with her fiancé | Daily Mail Online
This does show that posts were gradually less frequent. They were really going many places. And often sleeping in the tent, not the van bed. Even if you LOVE camping, which I do, that’s an exhausting itinerary, imo. A lot of driving, setting up & taking down. Fatigue generally doesn’t bring out the best in people-even in beautiful places. They were in their 8th week when Gabby disappeared.

Last edited:
Yes and many times she looks like she has been crying. Kind if out of it too. But then, why take videos? Strange. JMO

They just posted that one YT video. What is odd is that most of the video was from their previous car trip to the west coast. It’s only the last few minutes that are recent, in the tent and the scene with the granola.

The 8-minute YouTube video was posted on Aug. 19.

ETA from timeline:

August 13: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab, Utah

August 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how old is the boyfriend? None of the news articles say although they mention her age.

He looks so much older, I'm not knocking I actually started dating my significant older when I was 21 and he was 31, it was a good age gap for us (still together 11 years later)..

I watched the Van Life video on YouTube and that was 1 of 2 things that stuck out to me, #1- He is way too old for this he looked uncomfortable with the overly cute/social media everything. #2- This video is bad and not at all what I'm use to with Travel Videos (I'm super into them my favorites are Kara and Nate and Drew Binsky)..... I just don't know I want to say a lot but I won't.

TIMELINE:
  • MARCH 17, 2020: IG Post- 1 yr anniversary
  • JULY 2, 2020: GP announced her engagement to BL
  • JULY 2, 2021: Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie
  • July 5: couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks
  • July 8: Colorado Springs
  • July 10: GP updated Instagram w photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park
  • July 16: GP smiling in pic from Zion NP
  • July 20: GP informed IG followers they were at Cedar Breaks
  • July 21: next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park
  • July 26: GP posted photo relaxing in a tub at Mystic Hot Springs
  • July 30: couple stopped at Canyonlands Nat’l Park Mesa Arch
  • August 12: couple hiked at Arches National Park
  • August 13: BF posted Instagram pic from Moab, Utah
  • AUG 18: 8-min YouTube video posted
  • AUG 21: Dad's last communication w Gabby; he ordered uber eats for the couple in Salt Lake City, UT
  • AUG 24: Gabby was last seen checking out of hotel SLC, UT
  • AUG 25: GP’s last Instagram post at Monarch Wall, Ogden, UT. Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt.
  • AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
  • SEPT ?: Laundrie returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with investigation
  • SEPT 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Updated from @JerseyGirl & @Mayjunejuly & other’s posts with links upthread. Looks like they began this trip on the 1 year anniversary of their engagement.

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for van lifers to occasionally grab a hotel for the night in order to shower/extra rest/etc...

Yes, and checking into a hotel should leave an audit trail of a credit card receipt. I am hoping she’s with someone else, but that does not explain radio silence. Even if her phone has been shut off for non-payment, someone who cared about her would let them borrow their phone to check in with parents. Either she’s purposely off-grid, with no cell service, or she’s in harm’s way - or worse. I can’t come up with any other possibilities.

jmo

TIMELINE:
  • July 10: GP updated Instagram w photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park
  • July 20: GO informed IG followers they were at Cedar Breaks
  • July 26: GO posted photo relaxing in a tub at Mystic Hot Springs
  • AUG 21: Dad's last communication w Gabby; he ordered uber eats for the couple in Salt Lake City, UT
  • AUG 25: GP’s last Instagram post at Monarch Wall, Ogden, UT. Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt.
  • SEPT ?: Laundrie returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with investigation
Updated from @JerseyGirl & @Mayjunejuly & other’s posts with links upthread. Looks like they began this trip on the 1 year anniversary of their engagement.
bbm
Thanks for the timeline, @JudgeJoe and others !

So, the last verified contact was 8/25 ?
Texts aren't positive proof, imo.
One would think if he knows something more, that he wouldn't return home, but stay on the road for a bit longer -- as in evading questions from her family ?

Or, maybe since he returned home, he told her family they broke up and she left with other people and he hasn't been able to contact her himself, either ?
MOO.

TIMELINE:
  • July 20: GP informed IG followers they were at Cedar Breaks
  • July 26: GP posted photo relaxing in a tub at Mystic Hot Springs

Great timeline! For me, everything stops Aug 25. That’s the last confirmed stop where GP was still in confirmed (visual) contact with her family.

He looks so much older, I'm not knocking I actually started dating my significant older when I was 21 and he was 31, it was a good age gap for us (still together 11 years later)..

I watched the Van Life video on YouTube and that was 1 of 2 things that stuck out to me, #1- He is way too old for this he looked uncomfortable with the overly cute/social media everything. #2- This video is bad and not at all what I'm use to with Travel Videos (I'm super into them my favorites are Kara and Nate and Drew Binsky)..... I just don't know I want to say a lot but I won't.

Agreeing that he looks much older than her - and I don't think that's a bad thing either (I've always liked older guys). Agree that he looks uncomfortable in the videos and even some of the pictures.

Is it possible she was left behind after a fight and only when the boyfriend returned home that he realised she was missing?

Surely she would have contacted family by now. I'm guessing that LE has either already taken a look at the van or will do so shortly. I bet the tent is still with it.

Gabby had a phone and LE will get those records - but I bet the trail ends around Aug 24.

It's been quite a bit of time since they were in GTNP (sounds like they never made it together to Yellowstone), and it's a huge park. There are only a couple of places one can stay in a van (one main campground, really) at GT - the NP either has a record of the van being there or not (Van lifers can be clever about avoiding regular campgrounds though).

There can be no viable search until someone gives up her true last known location - which is something the BF surely knows.

If he refuses to talk to LE at all, even with a lawyer present, that's got to be extremely alarming to the family and frustrating to LE.

The hotel is interesting. They were so gung-ho about living the dream, sleeping in that van. Were they fighting, or was Gabby souring on their big dream?

I've seen a couple people mention it may have been a necessity due to wildfire smoke. I live in SLC--as I remember, it may have been a little smokey the last week of August but not bad. If you look up historical data we were below 50 ppm so technically good air quality. I also don't remember any announcements of campsites or anything like that closing due to air quality, and there are numerous campsites within a 30-45 minute radius of SLC. Even when our air quality is horrible life goes about like normal here. I went on a short trip and stayed in a cabin the first weekend of August when we had over 100 ppm.

All of this is really to say--based off the mom's comment that she "didn't know where the relationship was going" when she last spoke to Gabby, I think it may be more likely they decided to rent a hotel room if they were fighting and needed to take some space away from each other.

Do either Gabby or Brian Laundrie have friends that they met up with on their trip, or kept in contact with ?
Have the friends they know said anything if they saw the pair on their journey or talked/texted with them ?
As in, was everything fine ?
I'm assuming they kept in contact with real life friends, or people on IG.

Or were there any tensions like Gabby and BL seemed to be going in separate directions ?
Imo.

I've seen a couple people mention it may have been a necessity due to wildfire smoke. I live in SLC--as I remember, it may have been a little smokey the last week of August but not bad. If you look up historical data we were below 50 ppm so technically good air quality. I also don't remember any announcements of campsites or anything like that closing due to air quality, and there are numerous campsites within a 30-45 minute radius of SLC. Even when our air quality is horrible life goes about like normal here. I went on a short trip and stayed in a cabin the first weekend of August when we had over 100 ppm.

All of this is really to say--based off the mom's comment that she "didn't know where the relationship was going" when she last spoke to Gabby, I think it may be more likely they decided to rent a hotel room if they were fighting and needed to take some space away from each other.

I live in SLC as well. I thought the smoke was horrible until just a few days ago. The more wind we had the more smoke blew in. Remember how weird it was we had all that rain a few weeks back and it was still really smokey? It has been miserable all summer. It's been all over the news.

There are way too many questions with no answers in this case.

The thing that strikes me the most is the fact that after the mom last had visual contact via face-time, she isn't sure the texts she received after that point were from Gabby. That is the most telling statement in this whole thing. Why didn't she think the texts were from Gabby? Is it because they didn't sound like her, or because she has her own feelings on the situation and believes someone else could have been texting pretending it was her. That reminds me of another case of Monica Moynan. That mother also received texts supposedly from her daughter but didn't believe they were sent from her and in the end they weren't.

The other things that stick out are probably the same questions most of you have, but we might have to wait a bit more to discuss those. ;)

I hope she just freaked out and ran off. It seemed like she was very close to her parents. I can't see her running off and not just telling her mom she left and needed space. She had to have known her parents would worry, especially since she seemed to keep in regular contact. I'm not sure which way this is going to go. I have not watched the Youtube videos now to get a sense of them. I hope now that the BF has lawyer-ed up police can get a chance to question him on the events and time-line of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard