Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #81 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've begun to worry that MM2 is going to end up on the stand. We really only know where they stood from BM or SMs words and we know we can't trust BM. SM remarking that MM1 was always on BMs side indicates that SM was pretty honest about her relationships with her daughters. To me it reads as a reasonably accurate statement that MM2 suggested a divorce and restraining order. MM2 was still at home, MM1 was away at college and wouldn't have been witnessing tensions within the household making her much easier for BM to manipulate. MM2's boyfriend was also privy to some of it based on his comments.
It is interesting to think about....will it help the prosecution or hurt the prosecution to hear that Barry and Suzanne bickered and argued like many couples do. As the judge said...it's pretty clear their marriage was troubled and at least in the preliminary he seemed loath to keep pounding on that. I personally don't think she was killed by Barry because of arguments and bickering for several years....if she was killed by Barry it was something more immediate in my opinion. I don't know quite how I "think" the younger daughter will contribute to the prosecution case...and for some reason I suspect Barry would not like her called to the stand by the defense and open her up to questioning by the prosecution...just a gut reaction for me.

JMHO
There may be an academic or, more likely, a partial academic scholarship involved with MM1 attending CSU. My understanding is that she graduated HS with honors. She may have graduated CSU with honors, as well.

Colleges and Universities adore having scholars at their facilities. They tend to cause less trouble. They are more serious about their studies. They become leaders on campus. A graduate from CSU tends to earn $53k annually for over 86% of students that earn their degrees.

Home | Admissions
Western State College in Gunnison, Co
Newer name since but will forever be known as “wasted state” by my old cronies, fun party school with a side of skiing

JMHO
There may be an academic or, more likely, a partial academic scholarship involved with MM1 attending CSU. My understanding is that she graduated HS with honors. She may have graduated CSU with honors, as well.

Colleges and Universities adore having scholars at their facilities. They tend to cause less trouble. They are more serious about their studies. They become leaders on campus. A graduate from CSU tends to earn $53k annually for over 86% of students that earn their degrees.

Home | Admissions
She did not attend CSU....but it one of the text messages in the preliminary she texted her parents that she "got the job" so I'm sure that was good news.

Western State College in Gunnison, Co
Newer name since but will forever be known as “wasted state” by my old cronies, fun party school with a side of skiing
I can assure you with decades of first hand knowledge that it is a much much different place than it was in the 70s...with the exception of the skiing and love of outdoors which has remained.

Reading the transcript posted by @Murphy1950 ( I have them on mute ) I found myself getting irritated by Ms Eytan's questioning - is that normal in a PH? or is she purposefully making mistakes with dates and giving an impression of disorganisation ?

I would think that anything the defense does is done on purpose.

Better brace for what happens in the trial, because I think there will be a lot of confusing of matters and diversionary tactics in the defense of BM. Judging by what happened in the Prelim.

I think Eytan's reputation may have come from her aggressive/assertive line of defense.

People’s Choice: Iris Eytan, Eytan Nielsen

Iris Eytan is an experienced Colorado criminal defense attorney and has tried more than 50 cases to date. She’s making her second appearance in a row on Barrister’s Best, but she’s been in the pages of Law Week many times for her work . Eytan’s defending clients who have been charged with serious criminal offenses including homicide, assault, sexual violence and Title IX offenses.
Barrister's Best 2020 - Law Week Colorado

I can assure you with decades of first hand knowledge that it is a much much different place than it was in the 70s...with the exception of the skiing and love of outdoors which has remained.
Good to know, not saying there wasn’t education to be had,
just that it certainly doesn't compare to CU as the OP I responded to

For me, it doesn't matter if MM1 attended an Ivy League school, or not, but thanks so very much for all of the kindly composed corrections.

My point is that she's smart enough to be a scholarship student wherever she decided to attend.

I shall continue to stand in the gap for Suzanne's daughters. That is, unless they betray their mother.

It is interesting to think about....will it help the prosecution or hurt the prosecution to hear that Barry and Suzanne bickered and argued like many couples do. As the judge said...it's pretty clear their marriage was troubled and at least in the preliminary he seemed loath to keep pounding on that. I personally don't think she was killed by Barry because of arguments and bickering for several years....if she was killed by Barry it was something more immediate in my opinion. I don't know quite how I "think" the younger daughter will contribute to the prosecution case...and for some reason I suspect Barry would not like her called to the stand by the defense and open her up to questioning by the prosecution...just a gut reaction for me.

Are you speaking of the spy pen recordings? I think it will show they were arguing about money. Goes to motive.

Sounds like you're in the Murder 2 or 3 camp. I get it. But I'll add that arguments do not kill anyone. It takes an actual physical action, in most cases. People can bicker for years and not kill each other.

But, the PH shows that Barry was feeling she was distant and not loving toward him - a whole 'nuther motivation than "bickering."

I have relatives who are just that cheap (or used to be). But what I can't wrap my. head around is that Barry is concerned about a free breakfast on the morning after he murders/disappears his wife.

I don't think any of my relatives are quite that callous. But they do swoop down on buffets and take a bunch of creamer and jam packets (much to the horror of my late mother).

Did Barry have ANY food on May 10?

Maybe he something caused him to lose his appetite...

I don't think for a second he was doorpanhandling for access to a free (pandemic) breakfast. He was at McDonald's too, shoving trash deep into the receptacle... and didn't eat there. News flash: breakfast for a buck --

So... if not for food, why was Barry all up in that door's bi'ness?

Methinks Barry wanted to bring some things into the hotel without parading them through the lobby.

How angry do you suppose he was when LL showed him some of their nice photography and cinematography?

Oh, Barry. Bungle City.

JMO

Western State has 1,900 undergraduates with an acceptance rate of 86%. Not exactly selective.
No it is not a selective college in the east coast sense. Just used to be close to a public private college but recently became a university, added a business college and a joint engineering college with CSU. I have no knowledge of what MM1 majored in. The school has a strong, loyal along with sone high giving alumni. Many years they have students from all 50 states and quite a few from the Midwest. Especially upper middle class students headed for graduate schools for their terminal degrees or those taking over family businesses for whom the undergrad is not as important. It is viewed differently I think by local folk or at least I sometimes get that impression. I know a few young and old dentists, doctors and MBAs from top tier schools who enjoyed their undergrad years there. At one time the school was quite generous with scholarships for the smart kids that it made it quite affordable for out of state full pay parent who wanted a private school feeling. So there was a mix of locals and kids with family $$ who would not qualify for financial aid. I was not the least surprised that was where MM1 went coming out of Indiana. They used to recruit the Midwest fairly heavily and still might. I didn’t go there but imagine I would have been pretty happy in Gunnison when I was a youngun like MM1.

Are you speaking of the spy pen recordings? I think it will show they were arguing about money. Goes to motive.

Sounds like you're in the Murder 2 or 3 camp. I get it. But I'll add that arguments do not kill anyone. It takes an actual physical action, in most cases. People can bicker for years and not kill each other.

But, the PH shows that Barry was feeling she was distant and not loving toward him - a whole 'nuther motivation than "bickering."
I will stick my neck out and say I think prosecution has a better shot at manslaughter based on the prelim. But I am patient and can wait for a trial if it happens next year and meanwhile try to mentally look at the potential from both sides of the court and anticipate based on what is officially known.

For me, it doesn't matter if MM1 attended an Ivy League school, or not, but thanks so very much for all of the kindly composed corrections.

My point is that she's smart enough to be a scholarship student wherever she decided to attend.

I shall continue to stand in the gap for Suzanne's daughters. That is, unless they betray their mother.
Like you, am not busy with the girls…keep it moving please….

I will stick my neck out and say I think prosecution has a better shot at manslaughter based on the prelim. But I am patient and can wait for a trial if it happens next year and meanwhile try to mentally look at the potential from both sides of the court and anticipate based on what is officially known.

Voluntary or involuntary? Because, to me, Murder 2 and 3 in CO encompass some aspects of manslaughter. Negligent homicide is, I believe involuntary manslaughter. And Murder 2 in CO sounds a lot like voluntary manslaughter where I live - I'm not sure about how all these charges converge.

But I do know that CO has M1, M2, and M3 (M3 is crime of passion - not intending the consequence, but swept up in the horror.passion of the moment...)

Voluntary or involuntary? Because, to me, Murder 2 and 3 in CO encompass some aspects of manslaughter. Negligent homicide is, I believe involuntary manslaughter. And Murder 2 in CO sounds a lot like voluntary manslaughter where I live - I'm not sure about how all these charges converge.

But I do know that CO has M1, M2, and M3 (M3 is crime of passion - not intending the consequence, but swept up in the horror.passion of the moment...)
I tend to think his defense would like crime of passion as if I recall the sentencing guidelines are the shortest of those choices.

I tend to think his defense would like crime of passion as if I recall the sentencing guidelines are the shortest of those choices.
That's what his attorneys said at the beginning. That this a second degree murder case.
DA would only file 1st if they had evidence, must be unseen as yet unless running after someone bumps the charge to 1st.

Did Barry have ANY food on May 10?

Maybe he something caused him to lose his appetite...

I don't think for a second he was doorpanhandling for access to a free (pandemic) breakfast. He was at McDonald's too, shoving trash deep into the receptacle... and didn't eat there. News flash: breakfast for a buck --

So... if not for food, why was Barry all up in that door's bi'ness?

Methinks Barry wanted to bring some things into the hotel without parading them through the lobby.

How angry do you suppose he was when LL showed him some of their nice photography and cinematography?

Oh, Barry. Bungle City.

JMO

Unless he did get a packaged Danish as he entered the hotel...there's no evidence of him eating! (Maybe he kept granola bars in his truck?)

Interesting point. No sleep. No food since the "steak dinner" the night before...running on empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993