SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Believed that ending his life was his only option:' Murdaugh attorney releases statement

"On September 4, it became clear Alex believed that ending his life was his only option. Today, he knows that’s not true. For the last 20 years, there have been many people feeding his addiction to opioids. During that time, these individuals took advantage of his addiction and his ability to pay substantial funds for illegal drugs. One of those individuals took advantage of his mental illness and agreed to take Alex's life, by shooting him in the head. Fortunately, Alex was not killed by the gunshot wound. Alex is fully cooperating with SLED in their investigations into his shooting, opioid use and the search to find the person or people responsible for the murder of his wife and son. Alex is not without fault but he is just one of many whose life has been devastated by opioid addiction."

*Signed, Alex Murdaugh's lawyer.

'Believed that ending his life was his only option:' Murdaugh attorney releases statement

"On September 4, it became clear Alex believed that ending his life was his only option. Today, he knows that’s not true. For the last 20 years, there have been many people feeding his addiction to opioids. During that time, these individuals took advantage of his addiction and his ability to pay substantial funds for illegal drugs. One of those individuals took advantage of his mental illness and agreed to take Alex's life, by shooting him in the head. Fortunately, Alex was not killed by the gunshot wound. Alex is fully cooperating with SLED in their investigations into his shooting, opioid use and the search to find the person or people responsible for the murder of his wife and son. Alex is not without fault but he is just one of many whose life has been devastated by opioid addiction."

i have no faith in his words.

i have no faith in his words.

Join the club. ;)

This is the most recent FitsNews (8 hours ago). Not sure if it was posted here late last night, but in case it wasn't or y'all missed it:

Murdaugh Murders Saga: First Arrest Warrants Implicate Alex Murdaugh In Roadside Shooting Conspiracy

"Smith is facing multiple charges including assisted suicide, assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature, point and presenting a firearm, insurance fraud and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud in connection with the shooting. He is also facing two unrelated drug charges: Distribution of methamphetamine and possession of marijuana.

“Additional charges in the case are expected and will be announced at the appropriate time,” the SLED release noted.

While the agency declined to confirm whether Alex Murdaugh would be charged in connection with the September 4 shooting, the warrants for Smith’s arrest clearly implicated him in illegal activity – which would suggest charges against him are imminent."

Someone would agree to kill you/shoot you in the head...why would someone agree to do that? JMO

This makes me so angry.

I understand that if a person supplies the means to commit suicide like bringing a gun or pills or whatever, that is assisting a suicide. But if a person brings a gun and points it at an otherwise physically competent person regardless of what they have said and pulls a trigger, why isn't that murder or attempted murder?

Smith was not charged with shooting the victim, he ‘pointed and presented a fire arm’.
“Curtis Edward Smith, 61, was arrested on charges of assisted suicide, assault and battery, pointing and presenting a firearm, insurance fraud and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud”.

I understand that if a person supplies the means to commit suicide like bringing a gun or pills or whatever, that is assisting a suicide. But if a person brings a gun and points it at an otherwise physically competent person regardless of what they have said
and pulls a trigger, why isn't that murder or attempted murder?

interestingly he was not charged with shooting the victim, and the victim had superficial wounds.
“Curtis Edward Smith, 61, was arrested on charges of assisted suicide, assault and battery, pointing and presenting a firearm, insurance fraud and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud”.

Totally normal where I grew up!
You're saying it was normal to give your driver's license to an underage sibling or it was normal for underage kids to use fake IDs?

We used fake IDs where I grew up but we never borrowed anyone else's, mostly because the consequences for a person lending one would be severe if caught.

It’s like an episode of the Rockford Files:

Overnight, an arrest was made in the shooting of prominent South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh, an attack authorities now say Murdaugh actually planned himself

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1438106093603934211?s=20

@TODAYshow
, Alex Murdaugh’s attorney
@Harpootlian4SC
says they called SLED from detox facility on Monday to admit to assisted suicide attempt. “He didn’t want law enforcement spending more time on this fake crime instead of focusing on solving the murders of Maggie and Paul.”
Harpootlian says Alex Murdaugh arranged his assisted suicide attempt because he “was in a dark, dark, dark place and wanted to help his son in any way he could” by leaving him with $10M insurance

Harpootlian on what Alex Murdaugh knows about the killings of his wife and son: “He is totally distraught about their deaths. He did not murder them.” Harpootlian says he doesn’t think Murdaugh knows who killed them or why.
Video
https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1438108075785867268?s=20
Opioid addiction caused Alex Murdaugh to hatch fake shooting plot, attorney says

Last edited:
Two things- all complete speculation:
1. I do not think Meth is in play at all. Or any other drug for that matter. Rehab is a total ploy.
2. Does anyone really think he staged a suicide for his son to receive the life insurance?? Since when has he cared about anyone at all. I think he set this up to make it look like he was willing to sacrifice his own life for his remaining son. For sympathy. He did not intend to die. Wanted it all to look like he was doing this for his son. “I was desperate and so overcome with anguish, oh, and also hopped up on meth.” Ya right. JMO

For now, I'm keeping an open mind about it. I'm not an expert, but he doesn't look like someone who is addicted to meth.

I feel bad to even say this considering the circumstances surrounding everything, but if I didn't know any better, this sounds like another call for sympathy and setting the stage for an insanity plea.....

This case is one of the wildest I've ever followed. Just want to take a minute to thank all the regular posters here for your updates. Your information and analysis has been truly fantastic.

I hope this latest shoe to drop leads directly into who killed PM and MM. Knowing that Alex orchestrated his fake, attempted murder makes me think he's perfectly capable of orchestrating MM's murder too given what we know about the forensic audits.

Hmm… Either:
1. Suicide plan was real but Cousin Eddie just couldn’t cross that line into murder. I suppose it’s possible that AM holds onto CES’ hand with gun to his own head saying “do it!” but CES yanks it away at last minute therefore causing only a graze. CES then drives off terrified and ditches gun. AM calls brothers and is a psychological mess for still being alive. Motive for $10M in life insurance is to cover all the money he embezzled. It’s not for BM to live in luxury. It’s for his whole family to get out of the mess he caused. He himself said he needs to work on rehabilitating the relationship with his family, clients, colleague… or something like that. It was his last ditch attempt to fix things for them?

OR

2. It was supposed to just be a simulated attempt on his life “see! I told you someone’s out to get me and my family!” to take the heat off of him as the double homicide investigations circled in closer. In the beginning they were adamant it WASN’T a suicide attempt (who was asking?) because they reflexively thought that made him look guilty about killing his family. Then they realized AM trying to kill himself for insurance money might put him in a better light.

Scenario 1 makes it more likely CES is not the hitman and likely AM did it himself or the double homicide is unrelated.

Scenario 2 makes it likely CES would do anything for AM and what are the chances AM has a whole ’nother shady associate he can task his dirty deeds with and trust that secrets will be kept?
Third scenario could be Curtis really tried to kill AM. because something went wrong after the hit on MM and PM. It would be easier to explain as an attempted suicide then retaliation for you hiring a hitman to kill your wife.

Edited that CES really tried to kill AM not PM

Last edited:

BBM

You guys, this is not his fault! All these people have been forcing him to take illegal drugs for twenty years! They held him down and shoved the pills down his throat!

I'm still not sold 100% on him being addicted to anything other than money and power and a cushy lifestyle.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member