Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian has yet to be seen by the press. No one has ever spotted him leaving his parents house. Is he in there hiding because he has defensive wounds on his body and that might incriminate him?

that was also MOO.

Registered an account here to join this thread after lurking for some time. Such a heart breaking case and I hope GP is reunited with her parents.

I have been really curious about the Spotify account that had songs/playlist posted recently. The Fox News article that was linked earlier upthread states Sept 1 (which would have been one day after the last text GP’s mom received), but the date stamp on Spotify seems to suggest Aug 30. (I am unable to determine a time stamp, which may give more insight - but I’m sure someone much savvier than me could figure that info out).

I also looked at the timestamp GP’s Aug 12 Instagram posts, curious to see when they occurred in relation to the 911 call. FWIW, those were posted at 2:57pm and 1:26pm (both local Mountain timezone).

I'm not sure I agree that he's better off, with the facts as they are known.

This is her so-called boyfriend, not a stranger. When something happens that is not murder, you call 911, not abandon your girlfriend to her fate and contact a lawyer for advice!

This was a missing persons case, no one had leapt to any conclusions about a crime. But, by refusing to speak to police, he's defined this as crime and brought all the suspicion on himself.

I think he's helped police focus in on the true nature of this situation, and they're going to throw everything they've got at gathering evidence against him, probably bringing in the FBI.

IMO, no one wants this strategy to be a precendent for 'how to get away with murder'.
I've followed quite a few missing person cases here on WS, and with rare exception, the last person known to have seen a missing person has been the one to report him or her missing. (Patrick Frazee comes to mind as one of the rare exceptions.) That's a huge red flag to me, and another is his having her van in his possession.

From personal experience I can say this:
Dealing with a person suffering from a personality disorder can be EXTREMELY exhausting at times. Such a person can make even the calmest partner explode or nearly so. The ONLY possibility one has is to GO AWAY.

We don't know what the diagnosis here really is (if there is one at all).
But IF (IF!) some personality disorder is involved anything is possible.
It may even be the case that BL is innocent. Possibly he couldn't cope with it.

Just thoughts ...

It’s hard to see where a breakthrough will come but I hope it does soon. Maybe (sad to say) her body or clothing will be found, camera footage, maybe triangulation data on phone pings or maybe other witnesses.

One thing I can’t work out is the legal advisor’s strategy. Not assisting the police or family in any way draws a great deal of suspicion on BL - worse than a ‘we had a row and went our separate ways’ vague excuse of a story. Plus at some point BL will need to leave the house, get a job or do something other than hiding away in his parents house. It’s really impossible to see how he would resume any kind of normal life. So I’m not really sure how BL and his parents think just staying home is going to work in the medium term. His Dad was criticised for doing yard work - let alone going to the shops, work, church or any other social activity.

I’m praying that a breakthrough compels them to respond to the police. I don’t fully understand why LE have not yet taken them in for questioning ( legally do they need more evidence for probable cause?) - not just him but his parents too - they are witnesses to BL’s movements and what he has told them.

Even if someone came forward and said what a wonderful guy BL was it wouldn’t make a difference to me.
Men who murder (MOO) their wives or girlfriends are often described as charming, popular, appear to successful appear to be generous kind and loving. It’s what’s behind the mask that counts. MOO

It really sucks. I'm convinced that about half of the human population have personality disorders and those always come with a "mask". After years of research, as well as personal experience, one of the things I've learned is that you never know what's going on in someone else's head. Humans are so complex and multifaceted that you can know someone for decades and then something happens that seems so completely out of character that you can't believe it. Chris Watts is the perfect example. There are some very shocking cases of people being really great until they're not. I hope this isn't one of those. I'd rather think that something happened that BL was not responsible for and that he's clammed up because he's scared. Not looking too good, though.

Are you saying that call and text records can be accessed without a warrant?
I was getting ready to point out the same question. Where's the warrant? I definitely think they would have to have one since they are going after evidence that may one day end up in trial. IMO, LE could probably get one easy enuff -- they are conducting an investigation into someone's disappearance.
Question for anyone:
Is the van still out west? It might hold all kinds of evidence.

I was getting ready to point out the same question. Where's the warrant? I definitely think they would have to have one since they are going after evidence that may one day end up in trial. IMO, LE could probably get one easy enuff -- they are conducting an investigation into someone's disappearance.
Question for anyone:
Is the van still out west? It might hold all kinds of evidence.

The police have the van and have carried out forensics on it. they say they have some evidence from it. It is in Florida - was brought there on his return on the 1st September.

To plays devil's advocate here, what if he did -- "something wrong," but less wrong -- than first or second degree murder and wants to mitigate against being charged with a more serious crime? He is better off lawyering up and saying nothing at all except under advise of lawyer. You and I may not like it, but it is something every attorney would advise for good reasons

I am not saying that is the case, but one cannot just say one only needs lawyer unless they did something wrong. In fact it maybe that you are at risk of maximum possible charge if you don't lawyer up.

I am not defending this guy or the acts I have a suspicion he may have committed. If he killed this woman I hope he gets life or is executed. But if I were called into a police station to be interviewed about a crime, even if I was 100% innocent, if I thought I might in any way be a suspect, I would lawyer up.

As far as "protecting his rights still cooperating," that is a bit of a conflict since he does have the constitutional right not to cooperate whatsoever.

…that is why I said we all understand the reasons why he hired an attorney. By no means does hiring an attorney mean he did anything wrong at all. I don’t fault him for getting an attorney. I fault him for not reporting her missing, and for stonewalling the investigation. You can have an attorney and still cooperate. But he is just buying time before her body is found hoping evidence gets destroyed (MOO).

Has anyone asked or known about GP in terms of liking women too? Curious bc of the case in Moab and how close BL and GP were to the bar when things got crazy. The seperation that night opens the door with GP not wanting to be alone.

Have seen nothing suggesting GP liked women in the manner to which you refer. However, the married couple who were murdered might well have been likely to step up or speak out if they witnessed any sort of bullying behavior from BL to GP. We don't know that they heard or witnessed anything or became involved with GP or BL in any way, it's entirely in the realm of speculation at this point.

I agree with much of your post. However Gabby's mom did speak to her on the phone on Aug 24th or 25th. Some said they even face timed. That is the last day her Mom is certain she was OK.

There were some texts later but Mom doesn't think it was her texting...

Here is the police report.
https://static.fox5ny.com/www.fox5ny.com/content/uploads/2021/09/Petito_Redacted.pdf

The report does mention moonflower. I too think the time line is shorter. I’d like to find out if the mother last spoke - not text with her on the 25th as some have reported or if it was earlier. So far I’ve seen reports of the 23rd, 24th, and 25th. You’ll notice the police report clearly states that neither take medication for anxiety or another condition (it’s redacted). And seeing this irritates me bc I’ve heard at least one news report today state that they were “not taking ‘their’ medication.” A distinction with a difference. They need to be more careful.

I think/agree that Gabby's bio mom has changed her mind at least once on the precise date of the FaceTime.

As for the "neither take medication", I think it's problematic in other ways because there's "prescribed medication"; and then there's "unprescribed self-medication".

Also, IMO the officer's phrasing could encompass a lot of possible outcomes, up to and including "neither have ever been officially diagnosed or treated for anxiety", all the way through to "either or both have actually been diagnosed and treated by a professional, but neither wants to take their prescribed/recommended medication, and so don't." IMO he should have been clearer; unless HIPAA limits the scope of what law enforcement can ask in this direction.

Last edited:
Ive read it.
The main character is absolutely a serial killer (he kills with verse rather than violence) and the book has very graphic depictions of n*crophilia.

It’s twisted. Most of Palahniuk‘s books are and it appears BL was a fan of many of them.

Thanks for that info. Sounds ghastly. At the same, though, if the author wrote Fight Club, which was a great story, I can see where he could have a following.

I've always been creeped out and alarmed about the dark turn western culture has taken in my lifetime. It seems it came about, quite openly, with the rise of punk and then Goth. It's nihilism mixed with violence and perversion and I do not get the attraction. I realize those things have always been part of human existence but, in the past, it wasn't socially acceptable and now it is.

Do you happen to know if that man with the wolf mask was a character from one of this guy's novels?

I wonder if Gabby and BL had just been at each other’s throats with escalating arguments that the storage unit trip was just an excuse for him to get away for a few days. Maybe his dad realized the conflicts were escalating and felt having them get space away from each other would be smart. I wonder if BL has had anger issues in the past that his dad was concerned about? Regardless of how they felt about each other back in Florida before their road trip, that is a tiny van and a lot of together time.

ETA: “at each other’s throats” meaning the figure of speech, not literally strangling each other.

If those two were breaking up (a process), doesn't it seem strange that you'd move your soon to be ex girlfriend's stuff out of storage and into your house? I've got to agree with others (@MassGuy) who think the story about the trip home for the storage locker transfer is BS. While it's possible that was the case, it seems highly improbable and irrational.

theory:

Altercation late afternoon on the 12th at Moonflower. Pulled over at entrance to Arches NP. BL taken by LE to hotel, GP left with van. Both have their phones (as per police report).

so. No one goes into Arches. BL in hotel…GP in her van….

she goes back to Moonflower…where else is she gonna go?

She meets/remeets Kylen and/or Crystal. She still has her phone. She’s messaging with BL. We’ve all been there…fight with a SO…need to cool off…but still texting to reach out..

she goes with Kylen and Crystal the night of the 12th to their campsite rather than staying alone. (Side note: Been there…done that!)

Next day, the 13th, kylen and crystal go about their normal day but GP has to deal with BL. She goes to pick him up at his hotel and tries to tell him she’s done. He’s not happy but they talk. She tells him abt kylen and Crystal and that they’re fellow van people and that they’re cool. They go back to K and C’s campsite.

this is the 13th.

nothing is normal after this. Kylen and Crystal are dead.

Gabby doesn’t communicate with anyone between the 12th and the 21st.

That's a plot worthy of a movie but doesn't work for me. Though I don't know much about the case of those two women, IIRC they told someone that a creepy guy had been hanging around, prior to their ending up dead. Brian was traveling with Gabby and in her company, was he not? I don't see where he would have been the creepy guy in question.

However, 'person of interest' does not have the same meaning as 'suspect'. What it really means, IMO, is someone who police are interested in interviewing, who potentially possesses critical information.

" A "person of interest" refers to someone who authorities believe might have information pertinent to a crime."
Ask Attorney Bernie: What does 'person of interest' mean?

So, use of the term with that meaning, is simply a tactic to try to pressure him into speaking to police.

Whenever someone goes missing, the person last know to be with them is a POI. Plus, in this case, they were traveling, he returns in her van, without her and won't talk. Of course, he's the POI.

I didn't think they argued *at* Moonflower. The first story I read about it said they argued a few blocks from Moonflower, then it was two blocks. Then a couple of hours later it was *at" Moonflower. I think the connection to the two women and this case might be just a situation where people are subtly altering facts in the Gabby-BL timeline to make them fit a bit more into the two women murdered timeline to see a connection between the two murders. I don't see how they are related but who knows. I would like to know for sure how far away from Moonflower they actually did have their fight.
The police were called from the Moonflower address.

From personal experience I can say this:
Dealing with a person suffering from a personality disorder can be EXTREMELY exhausting at times. Such a person can make even the calmest partner explode or nearly so. The ONLY possibility one has is to GO AWAY.
He did go away. He could have just stayed in Florida if he needed a break. No marriage vows, no kids, no shared assets: but he chose to fly back.

This one will not have a good outcome I fear. Stay with me here…I don’t think the Moab murders seem too far off base. If BL is pissed thinking they were the ones to call the cops, maybe he had a bone to pick with them. They were last seen on 8/13 10:30pm and found on 8/18 which leaves almost 5 days. BL could have killed the women, maybe he freaked out and needed to get the hell out of dodge so he booked it back to FL on 8/17 using the storage moving as an excuse. Once the coast was clear he headed back that way. Maybe somehow Gabby ended up finding out and he had to get rid of her? It honestly doesn’t seem too far fetched to me, especially with the dates lining up.

Also, for those who have never been to the area, it would be extremely easy to disappear someone. Go for a hike, stand close to the edge, and hip check the unsuspecting victim. My husband and I have hiked in the area and it could very well be made to look like an accident. With that being true, I find it very hard to believe he’d drive with her body or anything like that. Also, if they did make it to Yellowstone, i always think of the hot geysers and steam pots. Most are boiling and acidic. If you “fell” in one, there would essentially be nothing left. I believe it happened to a tourist not too many years ago and nothing was ever recovered.
So Gabby and Brian could have been in this area several days right? Gabby could have hooked up with them in town and told them the story...she could have been invited back to their site, she would have confided her problems with Brian...she could have then made up with him and invited him too...he sets up with Gabby nearby... she leaves? Gets mad again? goes to town? ... he's the creepy guy...he contacts her to pick him up, he did something bad, he was mad Gabby confided in them and not him...they drive to SLC...he needs to get out of town fast...does Gabby know? Did he tell her? He says you stay here I'll be back don't talk to anyone here's money...while he's away he realizes he has to kill Gabby too, she might spill the beans, she's the only one who knows what happened...they delete anything posted online after the 12th....she waits for him around SLC for the plan...At home he tells his parents because he's a baby man and needs them for everything, they retain a lawyer, and tell Brian to go get Gabby....He gets back, says let's go to Teton, I talked to my parents, they have a lawyer, everything will be fine...let's go home...he knows of some good hiking there aka sheer cliffs that you could easily slip and fall from and whoops! Brian heads home and tells mom and dad he couldn't find her/she left/no idea what happened...parents already weren't talking, hoping the kids would avoid suspicion, and now they are all extra not talking.

of course...this is all the opinion of a late night stoner. Sorry in advance if not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
car175