Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We.don't know he murdered her!
They are environmentalist!

In domestic violence the safest thing u can do.is.lock the person out! They can't hurt u, u can't in turn hurt them! Its.logical!
He told her to take a walk and calm down!

I disagree, he could take a walk and create some distance also.
Taking into account that he is bigger and stronger then her.

Locking her out is only put oil into the fire.
(all situations are different, im talking about this specific situation)

Last edited:
I was very surprised that none of these officers seemed to be aware of the red flags in BL's speech and demeanor. I would have expected that they would have some training in DV? His being overly friendly and trying to establish a repour with the officers, while making disparaging remarks about her is a huge red flag. This is the woman he was engaged to and the love of is life and this is how he talked about her?
Yes. I saw lots of red flags when I watched the video and it wasn't Gabby who was raising them.

From personal experience I can say this:
Dealing with a person suffering from a personality disorder can be EXTREMELY exhausting at times. Such a person can make even the calmest partner explode or nearly so. The ONLY possibility one has is to GO AWAY.

We don't know what the diagnosis here really is (if there is one at all).
But IF (IF!) some personality disorder is involved anything is possible.
It may even be the case that BL is innocent. Possibly he couldn't cope with it.

Just thoughts ...

All true, and I agree that can happen. However, an adult still has a responsibility to ascertain that their own actions will not cause unreasonable harm to another regardless of how badly the other may be acting. Leave by all means, but make sure the other is in a reasonably safe place. Contact her parents and have them come take care of her. If they were acting in a way that may endanger you, leave right away but by all means get help for the other, etc.

And if one ended up losing it for some reason and acted in a way they regret later, come clean and own up to it. No one is blaming anyone for what happened (yet?), just how BL has chosen not to help in the aftermath of a very probable tragedy. That alone takes away at least some of his innocence regardless of what actually transpired on this journey.

I was very surprised that none of these officers seemed to be aware of the red flags in BL's speech and demeanor. I would have expected that they would have some training in DV? His being overly friendly and trying to establish a repour with the officers, while making disparaging remarks about her is a huge red flag. This is the woman he was engaged to and the love of is life and this is how he talked about her?

Bet they get some training after this one. Or at least they hesitate a lot more next time.

the donuts thing surprised me a bit after seeing really clean eating posts on social media ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's almost like people on social media sometimes portray a different version of themselves than who they really are.... and it's almost like people use social media to portray the best possible version of themselves rather than the reality ... hmmm we might need to dive deeper into that phenomenon

But what was the crime that would lead LE to be able to intervene? They could refer them for social services but if LE does not have probable cause, they cannot arrest him because of his speech and demeanor. Unfortunately it's not illegal to be a jerk.

SEP 16, 2021
Body camera video released of police interaction with Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie after 911 call - ABC7 New York (abc7ny.com)
[...]

The officer summarized the encounter in the report.

"The male tried to create distance by telling Gabbie to take a walk to calm down," he wrote. "She didn't want to be separated from the male, and began slapping him. He grabbed her face and pushed her back as she pressed upon him and the van."

Police said all parties agreed that Petito had slapped Laundrie and that he had not struck her, and that there were no serious injuries and no party wanted to press charges.

Petito reportedly told officers she suffers from serious anxiety and other redacted medical conditions, and police categorized the incident as a "mental/emotional health break" rather than a domestic assault. Petito told police that the arguments between the couple had been building over the past couple of days.

[...]

Garrison said there are no plans to obtain a search warrant for his parents home, where the two lived. "We don't have a crime in this. We are investigating a missing person."

[...]

I thought the police described him as a "Person of interest"- that seems to me a little more than investigating a "missing person'- don't the police have the right to get a search warrant of the van, considering he is a "person of interest"---

Gabby Petito - live updates: Police ‘looking at everything,’ including Utah homicide

Nicole Schmidt, Ms Petito’s mother, said the last time she spoke with her daughter was 30 August, but because it was a text she cannot be sure that she was actually speaking with the woman. Before that the mother and daughter video chatted on 23 or 24 August. Ms Schmidt said it was normal for her and her daughter to video chat multiple times a week.

When her daughter did not check in after Mr Laundrie returned early from their road trip, she grew concerned and eventually the family alerted the police.
Skipping a little bit, but I'm curious: Do we know *exactly* when NS found out BL was back and GP wasn't? We know she went to LE to try and report GP missing 9/10, and finally succeeded in convincing them to open a missing persons case on 9/11, but that last sentence makes it sound like there was a period of time where they knew BL was back without GP?

In domestic violence the safest thing u can do.is.lock the person out! They can't hurt u, u can't in turn hurt them! Its.logical!
He told her to take a walk and calm down!

I disagree, he could take a walk and create some distance also.
Taking into account that he is bigger and stronger then her.

Locking her out is only put oil into the fire.
(all situations are different, im talking about this specific situation)

In the police report it is stated that he had the visible marks on him that line up with BL's account that she tried to stop him from taking a breather. During that incident they did separate them according to their training. She got to stay in the van and they took him to a hotel to spend the night.

In my experience distance can be good (sis and father have bipolar), but in a manic state like he reported she was irrational and didn't want the space which makes sense she probably thought he was just going to leave and worse case scenario. Who knows what happened after this, but it seems they did have an idea on how to handle their arguments by giving space, but you never know what happened in that moment they last saw her. She also gives red flags that she wasn't always thinking clearly.

I think judging anything on what kind of books someone was a fan of is a very slippery slope, and pretty useless imo. So many of us read novels depicting horrible crimes, at least in part following deviant murderers, etc. And we're fans of them. That means nothing.

I agree! If I ever was accused of a crime, I shutter at LE, looking through my search history! :eek:

On another note...

I am still getting through the full bodycam video released to say I am shocked to actually see the footage compared to what was written in the police report is an understatement. I would not classify Gabby as "manic" in any way. She was distressed, emotional, and upset for sure but was very much in control to the extent one can be when one is upset the way she was. Based on the police report, I was expecting something totally different. As others had noted, it was hard to watch BL standing around with the officers playing the "good guy" as if Gabby was some 1950's hysterical woman and he was the one trying to help and diffuse the situation. We obviously don't have video of what transpired in the car previous to the police pulling them over, but I think that would paint a very different picture than what BL is claiming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard