Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time reader/lurker here. I watched the entire video and my heart breaks. To me, I see two emotionally immature young adults who seem very protective of each other. He didn't want to press charges, didn't want to see her go to jail, and really didn't seem to incriminate her in any way. She was crying, upset and explaining how their interactions just escalated. They both seem like genuinely nice people in the video. Him opting not to drink water from a plastic bottle because he doesn't do plastic and she explaining how she is trying to get a social media gig started in my opinion points to their youthful idealism. I'm really on the fence here. My heart breaks for her parents as this is any parent's worst nightmare...not knowing where your child is. I just have a gut feeling that there is ALOT more than meets the eyes to this one. I really wish BL would speak to the authorities with his attorney.

I disagree, he could take a walk and create some distance also.
Taking into account that he is bigger and stronger then her.

Locking her out is only put oil into the fire.
(all situations are different, im talking about this specific situation)
She was after him!
If he walked away she would go after him!
Been there done that!

Just watched the full hour body cam. Incredibly disturbing. She is so scared and innocent and the cops make him the victim. Lots of tropes about “crazy female” who was “clawing at him” with her nails. Meanwhile he presents as a choir boy and joking around with officers the entire time. I cannot believe they left her alone and sent him to a hotel. As a dad to a little girl I am sick. IMO Brian displays the ability to convince the officers he is the good guy while she takes the fall and the charges.

Respectfully, I disagree. One of the first things he tells the officer, is that he made contact/pushed GP.

This is not to paint anyone in an innocent light, but rather be more objective. GP admits to being the one who was frazzled about the whole situation that morning, and being physical. What questions I have-
Was there more to the argument, or was she really just distraught over sand in the van?

All in all, it's helpful seeing their behavior, but I'm not finding it useful for determining the outcome of where GP ended up.

If you profile the actions it falls in line with a passive aggressive behavior in which something negative happens with no responsibility.
The individual will refute responsibility for the actions of another person.

For example Person #1 walks off into the woods for a day, Person #2 waits for a day for Person #1 and eventually leaves. Person #2 takes no responsibility for Person #1's act of leaving. Person #2 can relinquish all responsibility for Person #1 and be outside of moral
guidelines but inside the lines of legal guidelines.

From an investigation standpoint

The drone may be a key element in the investigation as it was the newest component to the trip. If the drone is not in the van then where is it. Footage and video time point from the drone can fill in the gaps. The mother said the drone was the newest element added to the trip.

The amount of fuel in the van can provide fueling points back toward Tenton Park.
Finding the last fueling station before arriving in FL would be huge.
Origins of the text message as well.

Inobu

Interesting:

"In what may or may not be a coincidence, a couple living out of their van in Moab, Kylen Schulte and Crystal Beck, went missing on Aug. 13—after complaining to friends about a “weirdo” who had set up camp right near them. Schulte—who worked at the Moonflower Co-op, where Gabby and Laundrie were seen fightingand Beck were found murdered a few days later. No suspects have been publicly identified and no arrests have been made in the case."

This is really an interesting coincidence. It was not quite clear, but was there a report also about Gabby and Brian arguing that day with the store staff, one of them KS who was later found murdered? Perhaps the "creep" who the two murdered women referred to, witnessed that incident at the store, and decided to follow the women to their camping site (or already stayed close to them)? Maybe he also witnessed Gabby's anxious behavior at the same location, same time? So he perhaps followed them too later, thinking that Gabby would make an easy target, clearly quarreling with her boyfriend/partner? Maybe the same creep WAS involved, first killed the couple, then followed Brian and Gabby, waiting for the next quarrel or incident, picked Gabby up, offering her a ride? So that might have been the connection. He might have been present at the shop that day when the incident occurred, perhaps it would be a good idea to check any surveillance videos? Also he may have been living in the area for some time, either staying in the campground near the women, or somewhere else most of the time? There may have been witnesses seeing that guy, or some video records, worth checking. He could have been the same one who picked up Gabby at a later point, after another quarrel with her boyfriend?

I thought the police described him as a "Person of interest"- that seems to me a little more than investigating a "missing person'- don't the police have the right to get a search warrant of the van, considering he is a "person of interest"---
I think they need evidence that a crime was committed to establish probable cause before they can get a search warrant.

But what was the crime that would lead LE to be able to intervene? They could refer them for social services but if LE does not have probable cause, they cannot arrest him because of his speech and demeanor. Unfortunately it's not illegal to be a jerk.
True, it isn't illegal to be a jerk.:p I wasn't meaning that there was anything criminal about it. They did separate them, so they did try to de-escalate things and give them a chance to calm down/cool off. Thank you for pointing this out.

I'm not understanding why the police aren't investigating him because "no information of a crime".... A woman is missing and a man has her vehicle 2000+ miles away from where she last was. It is not his vehicle. Shouldn't that warrant an investigation? I don't know how LE works but it doesn't make sense to me that they're saying there's no info/evidence of a crime when he's in possession of her vehicle, a vehicle that is not his - it's stolen, and she's missing.

I agree! If I ever was accused of a crime, I shutter at LE, looking through my search history! :eek:

On another note...

I am still getting through the full bodycam video released to say I am shocked to actually see the footage compared to what was written in the police report is an understatement. I would not classify Gabby as "manic" in any way. She was distressed, emotional, and upset for sure but was very much in control to the extent one can be when one is upset the way she was. Based on the police report, I was expecting something totally different. As others had noted, it was hard to watch BL standing around with the officers playing the "good guy" as if Gabby was some 1950's hysterical woman and he was the one trying to help and diffuse the situation. We obviously don't have video of what transpired in the car previous to the police pulling them over, but I think that would paint a very different picture than what BL is claiming.

I'm sure the officer had no idea this body cam video would be national news. It appears he determined there was nothing to see here, but needed to take an action so he got Brian into a hotel room and dusted his hands of the whole affair, and wrote the report to support his decision to isolate Brian, and off to the next case. She was not behaving in any way like he characterized her, and I believe he just needed to make it very one sided so he could be done with it. Hopefully, he'll get some training on how to write a more accurate report of what he witnessed. I wonder what the female officer who was there has to say?

From personal experience I can say this:
Dealing with a person suffering from a personality disorder can be EXTREMELY exhausting at times. Such a person can make even the calmest partner explode or nearly so. The ONLY possibility one has is to GO AWAY.

We don't know what the diagnosis here really is (if there is one at all).
But IF (IF!) some personality disorder is involved anything is possible.
It may even be the case that BL is innocent. Possibly he couldn't cope w

Just thoughts ...

But in the dv report he admits he has the same illness. How about they got on each others nerves.
I see a young girl who was gaslit. He was trying to take her van and leave her there. She was so upset she couldn't even defend herself to LE. As another poster said, they will push and push your buttons until you react then make it look like it is your fault. I have experienced this. And when someone is beaten down they will take full responsibility to keep the peace and protect their abuser.

And lets not forget BL did do what Gabby told LE what she thought he was doing. Took her van and left her God knows where. The guy is a piece of work.
I mucked up your quote. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member