Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Lanza did this.

According to Scott Peterson's 1/2 sister, she said he did weird things too. When I first heard Brian left his parents house I thought of Peterson trying to go to Mexico. But he was loaded with cash, with a wig, with dyed blonde hair, and many I.Ds. passports.etc. Not just $200. Can't get far even in Mexico with $200.

My question: Are we allowed to give false information to the LE?

The lawyer and BL's parents revealed the location of BL to the police but didn't allow to contact him under 5th Amendment/ Right to remain silent.

But they had "no idea" where BL was.

Doesn't this mean they lied that about his location.

Doesn't that have any repercussions?

Also, I'm not sure if the Mustang was really brought back from that preserve?
Was there no news coverage in front of BL's home/ neighbor's accounts on Tuesday which can confirm if the Mustang was there or not?

MOO Lying to the police is not illegal, except in some cases. You can't lie about your identity if you are driving your car and are stopped or being arrested. You can't give false witness/file a false report, or if you are under oath.

I've seen concerns about the situation with BL not talking with LE, and how that came about-could it be confirmed? It is confusing because they did in fact follow up twice at the residence on the day of the missing person report on the 11th; taking possession of the van that day as well on one of those 2 visits.

I suspect that the family had already lawyered up prior to the LE coming to their home on the 11th. A family member likely informed LE of this when they arrived, and then invoked the 5th. I suspect that it was in place that quickly due to an incident the prior evening of the 10th involving GP's father. Because this is NOT a criminal investigation, the LE has to immediately stop any attempts at questioning.

Gabby Petito's dad linked to incident at Laundrie home evening before she was reported missing

With that being said, I see a lot of chatter "out there", not necessarily in our forum, about the LE "bungling" the case. IMO they have NOT bungled anything. They toed the line lawfully. Their hands have been tied from the onset. What a frustrating case this has got to be for them. :eek:

My sympathies are to both families. I cannot even begin to imagine the nightmare that both families are living in right now. Their children are missing. :(
#MISSING UPDATE: "We have attempted to speak with Brian [Laundrie], so far his family has given us the number of their attorney."
North Port Police Department in Florida confirms the van Gabby Petito was travelling in with her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, was seized. The van was found at the home of Laundrie's parents.
However, they say no sign of Petito was found with either Laundrie or the van. It appears Laundrie returned to Florida without Petito.
Coming up at 10 p.m. Ashley Moser will have the full update and message from North Port Police to Laundrie.
North Port Police are assisting the Suffolk County Police Department in the investigation.

Mother of YouTuber missing after road trip with boyfriend makes emotional appeal for her safe return
snipped
It is understood that the lawyer hired by Mr Laundrie’s family is Long Island-based Steven Bertolino. He did not respond to enquiries or messages.

Gabby Petito: Police reveal fears for missing YouTuber - ‘It’s possible something very bad has happened here’
snipped
Police investigating the disappearance of YouTuber Gabby Petito on a cross-country van tour with her fiance admit “something very bad” may have happened to her.

Ms Petito, 22, of Long Island, hasn’t been seen since she checked out of a Salt Lake City hotel on August 24 with her partner Brian Laundrie.

The couple had been documenting their trip across the United States on their YouTube channel Nomadic Statik, but fears grew for Ms Petito’s safety when she failed to contact her family for several weeks.

They reported her missing on September 11.

Mr Laundrie has returned to his home in North Port, Florida, and the couple’s van was seized by police at the weekend.

North Port Police spokesman Josh Taylor told The Independent Mr Laundrie’s parents had refused to allow officers to speak to him, immediately handing them contact information for the family’s attorney.

Asked if police found anything suspicious in the family’s actions, Mr Taylor said: “There’s common sense at play.

342b26b82b5becd58bc59c2dec31d915
Details of the initial contact with the family of BL

Personally, I don't believe he is in the reserve. Living in Florida he knows it's miserable in there, with the mosquitos, humidity, and alligators. He's not a tourist. This guy is not resourceful or a survivalist by nature imo, he wouldn't last a night in there, alligators and all.

Unless he was not planning on coming back, with a rope in his backpack, I think this location was planned a ruse. Parents "finding the car" and driving it back the same day is off too. How was he supposed to get back if the car was taken away?

Brian is elsewhere, maybe hiding in plain sight in a big city, with a wad of cash his parents gave him, or off to some barefoot commune who knows where.

Correct, he is not there.

They had plenty of time to plan his escape. There will some be speculation that the gators ate him so he can start his new life somewhere else. Very diabolical

Thanks for posting this.

Which do you lean toward: ?

a. He ran into the reserve to commit suicide.

b. The nature reserve was a cover, and he has fled the U.S. (with or without his parents’ aid).

c. Neither of the above.
I could go a bunch of different directions with this. I'd need more information to feel confident about any scenario.

The amount of resources they have dedicated to searching that area, tells me that they probably have good reason to believe he is in fact there.

My hope is that he's just hiding out, and isn't sure what his next move is.

Is it normal to not classify something like this as a criminal investigation, at this late stage in a missing persons case? Genuine question.... Does it only become a criminal investigation if they find direct evidence of a crime? Until then, just stays a missing persons case? When can they admit probability of foul play?

Or does LE have reason to believe this is *not* a criminal case? Because they keep emphasizing it is not a criminal investigation.

No. It’s not that simple. First, to be released on one’s own recognizance, it usually has to be a petty crime and domestic violence may not be considered a petty crime, even if she was charged with misdemeanor DV.

She may have been able to easily make bail, but there would be no traveling on with Laundrie. She would’ve had to show up for future hearings. She would’ve very likely been given conditions for bail such as no contact with him. She may have had travel restricted to the state she was in and/or her home state.

Most states don’t play with DV.

Actually, Moab LE explained to him-before they decided not to charge her with DV- that all he had to do was come in the next day & basically sign something that he wasn't pressing charges. There still would have been fallout, but she would have been free to keep on traveling with him.

IMO, the not charging her gave him leverage over her, if she had been charged would have given him even more.

Is it normal to not classify something like this as a criminal investigation, at this late stage in a missing persons case? Genuine question.... Does it only become a criminal investigation if they find direct evidence of a crime? Until then, just stays a missing persons case? When can they admit probability of foul play?

Or does LE have reason to believe this is *not* a criminal case? Because they keep emphasizing it is not a criminal investigation.

I believe if there is no evidence of a crime, they won't call it a criminal investigation. Since we don't know what happened, there's nothing to call a crime.

According to Scott Peterson's 1/2 sister, she said he did weird things too. When I first heard Brian left his parents house I thought of Peterson trying to go to Mexico. But he was loaded with cash, with a wig, with dyed blonde hair, and many I.Ds. passports.etc. Not just $200. Can't get far even in Mexico with $200.

If he’s going to go with that plan…..he forgot the Ford Bronco.

No. It’s not that simple. First, to be released on one’s own recognizance, it usually has to be a petty crime and domestic violence may not be considered a petty crime, even if she was charged with misdemeanor DV.

She may have been able to easily make bail, but there would be no traveling on with Laundrie. She would’ve had to show up for future hearings. She would’ve very likely been given conditions for bail such as no contact with him. She may have had travel restricted to the state she was in and/or her home state.

Most states don’t play with DV.

You didn't watch the video. The last half of the video was all about the two of them only having to separate for the night and then BL could go waive the order for her to stay away from him and then go pick her up from jail and then go on with their hike. and of course come back for the court date.

<modsnip> I'm desperate to know more about the search for Gabby. She's been in an unknown place for around 3 weeks now and I'm feeling very frightened about how this will end, assuming they find her. I fear this could go on for months, if she's ever found at all.

Hopes and prayers for Gabby and enormous gratitude from across the pond that people are trying to find her. I have enormous respect for everyone who is trying so hard to find her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipstar2