Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost think they are trying to use her computer and potentially her activity to tie into a time of death. Did he strike her while she was on the computer and they found blood evidence?

More likely things like nature of their relationship (filmed or written about), unedited footage, web searches for creepy things like getting rid of a body in the wild an t get caught, reading material, communications to family or others, plans for the trip...you name it.

Regarding the traffic stop...

Maybe its time that we collectively stop automatically labelling anyone showing emotion as out of control or manic and start being concerned with people who are able to show little or no emotion in a heated situation. It seems to me that the "emotional" ones are usually the ones that know exactly what's going on.

Your very post reminds me.
My DD spent 2 summers surfing in Ecuador.
Her take on *some* of the men there. They purposely confronted their subservient women in the streets, in public...
then they would say ...”see she’s crazy!”

MOO

But...but that would mean everyone who has ever been abused has been murdered. So they are all dead....so how could they be alive to watch the video and predict what would happen...?

(Wow, this site is not working for me at all, technically)
And it breaks my heart. She had no one to turn to and he had all of the control. THIS should never had happened in 2021!
That it was technically her van isn't what's most relevant. The fact that she was so convinced that he *would* drive away & abandon her there that she fought her way back in is. And then the fact that instead of keeping the van parked & apologizing & comforting her until she had calmed down, he escalated and drove the van fast enough to alarm LE, and didn't pull right over after seeing them behind him.
That poor girl.

But you are assuming that that male officer was unbiased when he was obviously very biased.

I think i said that on thread number way way back. BL engage him "i'm not sure if you're in a relationship or not (paraphrase)", then the discussion about 'anxiety' on the ride to the hotel. I am truly shocked that they did not plan on going for a beer after work. But things i found odd and i'll risk repeating. . he worked to engage and find a sympathizer in LE, deflecting from himself, changed topics to national parks etc. The first officer who approached found and stated he felt he was a bit agitated, nervous and verbalized it. He had ants in his pants, but super duper cooperative. The first thing poor GP says when rolling down the window is she's sorry it was her fault. DV is a tough call for sure, but i think she was secondarily a victim of no one really having her back. She was a kid really caught on a hamster wheel of madness and emotion. And he never even got a violation for speeding or failing too maintain control of his vehicle. . . because it was her fault. I watched that video when it first got posted her and felt something was very wrong with BL's behavior. MOO

It's not this simple sadly and I really wish people would stop boiling DV down to this black and white thing where it's apparently incredibly obvious from the traffic stop she was a victim of DV, it's incredibly easy to say now with hindsight.

My mother was abusive verbally and physically to both myself and my dad for a period of years. I saw my dad covering for her when asked questions by the Police and he acted far more like BL when asked questions than Gabby. Slightly awkward, wanting to play it down, minimise it and almost make light of the situation. My mother was infact the one more likely to turn on the water works and say she'd got a bit worked up because of her mental illness as a way to down play she'd gone bat **** with her fists.

Just because someone is upset and emotional when stopped by the Police doesn't mean they are necessarily the victim. Just because someone comes across as awkward and odd doesn't make them the perpetrator.

DV perpetrators and victims come in many different flavours. If it was as fundementally simple as some seem to make it out on here, it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Thank you for this. You put it far better than I could have done.

I think when we're analysing and discussing this case we have to be careful not to fall into gender stereotypes too: of women always being the victims and men always being the aggressors.

If GP was murdered, then of course she is a victim, but it doesn't mean that it was always one sided between her and BL. It's easy to speculate and make assumptions when we've only seen small snippets of their lives.

GP's friend (I think her name was Rose?) said that BL was jealous, but she never mentioned violence.

MOO

Not that what you said isn't true, but Gabby literally says she has OCD (which is an anxiety disorder) in the bodycam videos with the police. Them describing her as someone with anxiety is them writing down exactly what she told them about herself.
Oh, he probably convinced her she was because she was orderly and he was messy. Victims of DV, especially emotional abuse, lose their identity at some point. All young kids today refer to themselves as having anxiety without a diagnosis by a professional.

im not sure why he went home at all, i mean if you wanted to run why drive 2500 miles home or whatever it was

grab your passport or ID and just jump the border before anyone even knows that anything is amiss

that point has always stumped me throughout this entire thing

What is he supposed to use for money during this escape to Canada or Mexico? Surely he knew he'd be recognized quickly (especially in Mexico). This is not a street smart young man. He has never lived outside his parents' house (IMO) except to travel with Gabby, who supervises the plans. I believe he values his own life (and comfort) a great deal. He needed his parents more than anything, considering what he had just done (left Gabby near Spread Creek, WY). I wonder what he told his parents about why he was coming home without her. Did they ever try to call her? I bet not. They knew he had her phone. IMO.

I wonder if he even knows how to use a map. Whether he could find a border crossing (you should see my students - all of them young adults in a state university. - struggle to locate the borders in between states and transfer those to a paper map). Half of them have been to Mexico within the past 2 years but cannot say which freeways go there, and some take SO long to figure it out in the lab - they rely on their groups to help them out. They're not even clear on what kinds of symbols and lines/shading that Google maps uses to show them boundaries. Some cannot draw a rough outline of California without a map in front of them.

Nearly everyone knows that you head to Tijuana - but they can't name the other crossing. They also know there's a wait and a check point at Tijuana (most of them). They also know it's "south" of where they live - but they do not have a strong concept of how long the drive is. This semester, only ⅓ knew which state lies directly north of CA.

Anyway, Brian wouldn't want to get caught by digital evidence later googling "what's the fastest way to Mexico?" Would he? Even if he can't use a map, he seems aware of general rules of law and order.

Unfortunately, it does not prove that BL was the driver. Unlike what you might see on CSI/NCIS/etc, these license plate readers do not normally create images with a high enough clarity to be able to see the driver in great detail.

Yes, since vehicles don’t have front plates for PayByPlate or Sunpass in Florida, it records the back area.

Is the North Port exit the only exit south of Tampa with a plate reader at the exit? We travel to family in Naples and there is no plate reader on the Marco/Naples exit off I-75.

Last edited:
They could have just said he was there to avoid suspicion. They are clearly known liars so he probably was never there. I’m sure he was gone before her family reported her missing.
That was kind of my point, though. Did they say, oh, he's not here, but you can't talk to him anyway? The way it's worded sounds like they said he wasn't there, but he really was. I'm sure it's just the wording, but it just seemed strange to me.

Your very post reminds me.
My DD spent 2 summers surfing in Ecuador.
Her take on *some* of the men there. They purposely confronted their subservient women in the streets, in public...then they would say ...”see she’s crazy!”

MOO
Someone once said that Narcissists will drink a bottle of nyquil, oversleep, and then blame you for leaving it in the medicine cabinet. And the more upset or defensive you become. . . the more 'crazy' you are. So in the end. . . you believe you may be crazy.

This helps, thank you.
I wonder why he left that HD in the van. Seems odd, I was thinking he would have cleared everything out of there. Maybe there was more in there than I'm thinking.
YW, I imagine when one (or two) have to pack up their life into a van for an extended trip and spend 24/7 in it - every nook and cranny is explored. I think the van became very utilitarian for him. For Gabby ~ not so much. She much preferred a pleasant uncluttered environment for traveling, working, eating and sleeping.

Not that what you said isn't true, but Gabby literally says she has OCD (which is an anxiety disorder) in the bodycam videos with the police. Them describing her as someone with anxiety is them writing down exactly what she told them about herself.
She said she had OCD, but that is something Brian may have convinced her of because she was so particular about tidiness.
Her father stated there was no history of diagnosed OCD....as per his interview with Dr. Phil.

Unlikely, the cameras focus on capturing the plate and don't usually take good enough images to show who is driving. It's not impossible but it's not as simple as it taking a good quality photo of the vehicle - they're specially designed to recognise and capture the plate in an image.

And given it is Floridian car it would be taking a rear shot too.

It's remarkable to me that random strangers drove by their van, which was located just a short distance from GP remains. I was so worried that she wouldn't be found with the terrain, the distance they traveled and the expected inclement weather. Thank goodness those passersby saw the news, sifted through their footage, and turned it over to law enforcement.
I am a scientist and not superstitious but.... damn, that makes you think something supernatural intervened here.

im pretty sure they have a good idea Brian was the one driving that van. Seems to me with everything they are doing at that house they know he was there at some point, just hope they firgur out when he left again.
I would have to agree. & I hope so as well. As long as he didn’t hide in the back seat or a trunk. Maybe that’s why the mustang was taken from the house?

eta-cleaned up post. Stupid mobile likes to add on previous posts I’ve already used.

Domestic violence perpetrators frequently describe the victim as having mental health issues, and law enforcement too often believes it.
But also the majority of DV perpetrators also actually have mental health issues, be it childhood trauma or other mental health conditions that cause triggers- that’s a see saw that goes both ways.

And yet Gabby is the one who is dead, and not BF. Please don’t suggest she drove him to it. He could have left any time he wanted. As a matter of fact, he did-as soon as she was dead.
What was all that BL leaving her and taking a flight home to FL about? I've never understood if they were kind of living on a budget traveling the country, why does he use up money flying to FL and back?

If I got any of that wrong, my apologies for my ignorance. I've found it hard to keep up with the speed of these threads.

Yes, correct. The WFLA investigator also noted that the warrant from today may be harder to obtain. Florida state has a very broad sunshine law and the previous search warrants were likely state search warrants. The one from today is likely a federal warrant from District of Wyoming.

I had to take a break after realizing I watched a dumpster for 3 hours instead of working. o_O
I watched it too.
I could not take my eyes away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads