Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a post this morning that said Gabby’s mom tried to file a missing person’s report with the NPPD and they would not allow her to. That’s why the report came out of NY. Is this true, if so, why? Gabby had lived with BL’s parents for a couple of years. North Port was Gabby’s home. All the drama is happening in Florida. What am I missing? Is it because her parents were residents of NY?

Oh, I think her mom feels gutted that she didn't do anything about receiving a strange text on the 27th. I bet that's why she didn't initially share it with the public, to begin with. However, it's absolutely cruel to blame her parents right now.

It's again WS TOS to tell others how to post, btw.
When you go on road trips with people sometimes you ask them to type out texts for you... That's probably what she though.

I'm sure someone has already said this, but couldn't Brian have gotten a cheap burner phone from Walmart or wherever and just paid in cash and not have any tangible evidence linking him to it? There are ways of not having LE track you through phones.

It's possible but you'd be amazed how much people mess it up because they don't understand how things work. If he logged into his actual Facebook account or whatever for example on the burner and if the Police get a warrant for his SM data it's then easy enough to trace it back.

IMO if you're down in the sagebrush and trying to find your way, it might be easy to get lost. You'd see sagebrush and more sagebrush, with occasional clumps of trees. It might not be possible to stay oriented without a topo map and compass. I'm thinking BL was not up to this kind of cross country travel. That might be why he elected to hitch part way.

I am wondering if he hitched to Coulter Bay to gather his wits and possibly escape the area, Non harden criminals usually go to the first civilized location to gather their wits. 7/11, gas stations etc. He could cover some ground in the shape he is in, however, it is still a long way on foot to Coulter Bay.

changed his mind about escaping and asked for a ride to Jackson (the TikTok video). Highway route would have taken him close to the spread creek sites.

The fact that he freaked out and asked to get out at Jackson Dam was a mystery to me. It did make the TikTok video believable because they didn't have a reason either.

I am now assuming that he realized the scenic route to Jackson was not the highway that he hitched to Coulter Bay from Spread Creek. May have had map on phone while riding and seeing it taking him away. This is when he asked to get out. That would be a typical response from someone that just realized the route he was on.

Here’s the definition. I’ve seen it used in non celebrity situations as well.

stan1
/stan/
Learn to pronounce

INFORMAL
noun
noun: stan; plural noun: stans
  1. an overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity.
    "he has millions of stans who are obsessed with him and call him a rap god"
verb
verb: stan; 3rd person present: stans; past tense: stanned; past participle: stanned; gerund or present participle: stanning
  1. be an overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity.
    "y'all know I stan for Katy Perry, so I was excited to see the artwork for her upcoming album"
Origin
early 21st century: with allusion to the 2000 song ‘Stan’by the American rapper Eminem, about an obsessed fan.

Stan - it's literally just GP Grandpa's name.
GP mother said she wouldn't usually call him by his first name, Stan but did in the text message sent to her mother.

Correct info matters. LE tried to get her a free hotel room. They couldn't. She was responded to very sympathetically when she expressed her discomfort about having to drive very far in the van to camp.
I'm almost certain this is incorrect. Can you tell us a time stamp in the body cam video where you saw that? Everything I saw was about finding him an alternative place to sleep so that they didn't have to take her to jail.

I read a post this morning that said Gabby’s mom tried to file a missing person’s report with the NPPD and they would not allow her to. That’s why the report came out of NY. Is this true, if so, why? Gabby had lived with BL’s parents for a couple of years. North Port was Gabby’s home. All the drama is happening in Florida. What am I missing? Is it because her parents were residents of NY?
I believe so. Gabby could still have a NY license or voting address though, so technically she could be a "NY resident" in documentation only.

IMO if you're down in the sagebrush and trying to find your way, it might be easy to get lost. You'd see sagebrush and more sagebrush, with occasional clumps of trees. It might not be possible to stay oriented without a topo map and compass. I'm thinking BL was not up to this kind of cross country travel. That might be why he elected to hitch part way.

I am not assuming he isn't an experienced hiker. But even if he isn't, their are many scenarios that might put him out there walking. In the day time you can see the sun and the mountains make pretty good land marks. I really don't see how anyone who has spent anytime outside could get lost in that flat riverland area. Snake river on one side and that highway. I bet you can hear the road traffic for miles. Sure up in the mountains you might starve before you found your way out though..

Only national flights I presume?
Yes. Puddle jumpers. As I recall, we encountered a storm, and my face was greener when I got off than when I got on. Maybe that flight was even out of Denver: it was waaaaay too long!

I'm sure someone has already said this, but couldn't Brian have gotten a cheap burner phone from Walmart or wherever and just paid in cash and not have any tangible evidence linking him to it? There are ways of not having LE track you through phones.
Maybe he's not using a phone at all. JMO.

It's possible but you'd be amazed how much people mess it up because they don't understand how things work. If he logged into his actual Facebook account or whatever for example on the burner and if the Police get a warrant for his SM data it's then easy enough to trace it back.

I can't imagine he'd be stupid enough to log into his real Facebook account on a burner if he was trying to evade authorities. But he doesn't seem bright AT ALL, so I hope I'm wrong.

Yes they are.

One note about this. There is a report option on public Spotify playlists. I've never used it before, but since this playlist was discussed and publicized, if multiple people reported it, the automatic Spotify response may be to remove the Description and profile photo which would be the assumed offending material.
I wonder if Spotify has something in their T&C's that would explain this.

I have a question and I am not sure if it has been brought up yet. Does anyone think it is possible BL & GP were up at Colter Bay together and had a fight and she left him stranded there. Then he got pissed and worked his way back to the Spread Creek area (where he got a ride to hitchhiking) and when he got back there his anger for being left behind got the best of him and he killed her there and then took off for home on that evening or next day on the 30th? They may have already been at the area in Spread Creek before hand and he figured that she went back to that area when she left him stranded and he went back there looking for her? She did have the area marked on the camping app so its possible they were there 1st then went to Colter Bay together and had a fight and she left him. He gets pissed and goes back to Spread Creek area to find her. Would explain why he was hitchhiking alone and would also explain why he told the couple that picked him up that she was back there doing videos because he was embarrassed / angry she left him alone and would provide some motive for her being killed at the location.
It's possible. It will be interesting if they disclose the time when she died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn