Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
No phone calls between a husband and wife for 3 months. BM did not call SM and SM did not call BM either. No calls from 7 February 2020 until May 4 2020. That seems unusual imo..even for a deteriorating marriage. We don't know about the frequency of calls to each other over the previous 6 months. The AA did state about BM's online searches (*advertiser censored* site/yt/''cute girls in Salida'') end of January 2020. (just tried to find the dates in the AA..don't have search ability.)So perhaps BM was distracted with a female/females?

SM received the spy pen from SO in February 2020..suspected BM.

Hope they can rationalize this before the trial. Otherwise the defense is going to go after this as poor investigating.

Last edited:
I sort of go back and forth on this. I feel like Barry throws out red herrings and often repeats them in order to lead the investigators astray. When he talks to LE, I think he also tries to sprinkle in the tiniest grains of truth and then uses that to build lies.

He was so insistent that LE search the river for the body. But he seemed shifty and very uncomfortable when asked about the mines. Same kind of thing with the phone. I am guessing he destroyed the phone, like crushed it into unrecognizable oblivion/small pieces, then tossed the debris in various placecs away from the body. Wouldn't it be great for him if LE wasted lots of time combing the landscape for a nonexistent phone and a nonexistent body in the river. This is all just opinion and conjecture.

BBM
"I sort of go back and forth on this. I feel like Barry throws out red herrings and often repeats them in order to lead the investigators astray. When he talks to LE, I think he also tries to sprinkle in the tiniest grains of truth and then uses that to build lies."

Methinks you might give Barry a bit too much cleverness credit.

I see him as the classic liar who loses control of his planned narrative and "leaks" bits of truth.

The study of Statement Analysis concludes that liars just can't help themselves - they leak!

Last edited:
Page 114: "SA Grusing explained that investigators are looking for proof of life because we have a difference of her breathing and then Barry seeing her. Barry said "Yeah"". Is this to mean that there is actually electronic data from a fit bit or smartwatch? Barry insisted that she was snoring lightly at 5:00am Sunday....now if the data shows otherwise....everything Barry said about dinner, sex, sleeping, snoring, etc....all of it would be contradicted by that device as of 2:47pm and after on Saturday. Any thoughts?

Would love to know this too. One of the reasons why I am so confused with this process...Can the Prosecutors just throw things out there or do they have to have some thing concrete to suggest this ? Same thing with the trail cams, which I though was a "smoking gun", thought they knew/had something, but then no mention really in the AA. I just want to understand the process, not asking to criticize LE, I want to understand this process. anybody???

I'm back thinking about the game camera issue. We had the below tweet from Carol McKinley during the PH closings, but I don't think anyone remembers evidence actually being presented at the PH of game cameras being turned off on May 9. I just searched the AA and also see nothing in it about evidence of BM turning cameras off on May 9. I'm wondering if any other reporters tweeted anything similar or was it just Carol McKinley? It seems unusual. The only thing I see in the AA is some apparent suspicion on LE's part about a SG11 Mini camera that BM admitted he bought but that LE did not locate during the search of PP. (pg 107-108). Anyway, I'm wondering if LE actually does have evidence of cameras being turned off. If they did, I don't think the judge would have concluded that there's little evidence of premeditation. JMO.

On Saturday between 11:30 and 1 pm, the last day there's proof Suzanne was alive, Barry removed the game cameras near their home. The tranquilizer cap found in the Morphew dryer is a key piece of evidence, and prosecutors say he had injuries on the outside of his hands.

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1438961343864786946?s=21
Yeah, I'm wondering about that too.

One possibility is that this is new evidence that they've uncovered between the 4 days of the PH in August and the most recent hearing on the 17th. But I think that's somewhat unlikely. If that was the case you'd have expected the prosecution to say so and explain how they now know this. The other possibility is that this was just speculation on the part of the prosecution based on his gps movements in the 11:30-1 time period and the fact that the game cameras were found in the garage safe. And the reporter's wording just made it sound like an established fact instead.

I hope we get some clarity on that at some point since that seemed like by far the strongest evidence of deliberation.

Would love to know this too. One of the reasons why I am so confused with this process...Can the Prosecutors just throw things out there or do they have to have some thing concrete to suggest this ? Same thing with the trail cams, which I though was a "smoking gun", thought they knew/had something, but then no mention really in the AA. I just want to understand the process, not asking to criticize LE, I want to understand this process. anybody???

When the AA was written, much of that data was not back yet. That doesn't mean they don't have it now, but as I understand it, both sides are still combing through all of the data so some "new" things might be introduced during the trial. I expect they may have had the data by the PH, but didn't really need to have it at the time so it's in the pile of data that's still being sorted. The trail cams are in the pile of data.

I'm convinced the only thing that got him through high school and college was his athletic ability.

He may not even comprehend what's written in the affidavit. He's probably still thinking he outsmarted the FBI.

I tend to disagree. Barry is probably not charismatic.. But academically, he is not challenged. JMO. He is rather mechanically inclined. I don't know if he is good at computers and programming, but he could be. He is not artistic, and he has no taste, but he probably can process and remember new information.

I think it is important to understand what Barry is good at; in order to find out, for example, why he was so sure that nothing would be found in the house.

I wouldn't be surprised if he put cameras in the eyes of the deer heads, either. He probably at least thought about it.

Speaking of the list, I wonder what Suzanne meant by "pants unzipped?"

Did Barry walk around with his fly open half the time?

Reading through the affidavit, I noticed that Barry tended to explain lags in time by "oh, I saw mooses", "oh, I was following a turkey", or "oh, I was shooting chipmunks". So thinking about Suzanne's grievance, it probably looked like this: Barry came home much later than expected, and explained the delay by following a deer, his usual spiel, but since his pants were unzipped, Suzanne didn't believe him.

I really think that was Barry trying to make Suzanne look unstable, just as he kept insisting that she was a drunk and an addict. He feels fully justified in killing her, but he needs to give other people justifications. He also needs to degrade her character so she can't take him down from whatever hole he jammed her into. I believe (someone else may remember where) that it was said that there was a camera in the garage but it was one of the ones that had been disabled and SMs DNA was found on it. He was spying on her, provided that the time stamps function as pauses in movement, at least one of his game cameras was in a position to watch both porches.

Honestly, I believe that Suzanne could have PTSD from living with Barry (what is it, "clipped her nose"?). So even if she started drinking, I'd view it like the sincerest attempt to survive life with Barry.

However, Barry doesn't drink or use. It is a rare quality, but he uses it to demean people, because it is one of the few ways he can feel better about himself. Suzanne is an addict and an alcoholic, MG is a "methhead". One might ask, why was he in such a rush to hire a methhead. Or, he said he did not like to ride in the same car with MG because she smoked, and yet several times in the affidavit he either drives MG somewhere, or, she is surprised because he drives past her house without picking her up.

My opinion, BM's accusations are seriously exaggerated.

Honestly, I believe that Suzanne could have PTSD from living with Barry (what is it, "clipped her nose"?). So even if she started drinking, I'd view it like the sincerest attempt to survive life with Barry.

However, Barry doesn't drink or use. It is a rare quality, but he uses it to demean people, because it is one of the few ways he can feel better about himself. Suzanne is an addict and an alcoholic, MG is a "methhead". One might ask, why was he in such a rush to hire a methhead. Or, he said he did not like to ride in the same car with MG because she smoked, and yet several times in the affidavit he either drives MG somewhere, or, she is surprised because he drives past her house without picking her up. My opinion, BM's accusations are seriously exaggerated.

BM is slick and a user. I think it interesting how disparaging he was about all of his employees including MG yet they did not do the same. In fact, MG described BM as the most respectful employer she had worked for.

Do we think Bear has gone hunting yet?? I bet he’s going this weekend. In my head, I can hear him explaining to his daughters why it’s necessary that he does. I also believe IE and DN would advise against it. BM taking advice from a woman??? Maybe (doubtful).

Does anyone else find it odd that Barry referred to all of the LE officers/agents by their first name...or even nickname? "Agent Grusling is "Johnny", for example. I get the trying to establish rapport...but he comes across as over the top and presumptive. I am sure they played along and utilized that. But when Barry mentioned one of them by name to another one in the AA it was first name.

It's a good ole boy thang. MOO

Given that BM has not been convicted of a felony, yet, I believe he was required only to surrender his weapons, and prohibited from possession of a weapon, under his bail release.

Seems he can hunt with a bow (maybe even a crossbow) as long as he uses the bow for its intended purpose. More info at the link.

?

Sbm.

I'd want to understand if he was ordered to surrender firearms specifically or some broader class of weapons. Air guns do not use gun powder and, per ATF, are not classified as firearms. Tranquilizer darts are commonly shot from air guns.

Also of note, it is a class 1 misdemeanor per Colorado law (section 18-12-103) to knowingly be in possession of a firearm whose serial number has been defaced. The AA pg 7 mentions a camouflage patterned high powered rifle whose serial number could not be found.

I just thought that if their father gets convicted, and with such an advertised case, the girls’ lives will be changed in many unwanted ways. So I think it might be the case of cognitive dissonance for them. Hence, I can imagine how they don't want to believe and are afraid to believe the obvious.

I can't blame them, and do feel sympathy for their situation. For us, BM is a scary guy, who made his wife's life unhappy, and finally killed her, and probably planned very well. (The fact that so little was found says "planned" to me). For the girls, it is their father, a loving parent, the only one left.

I'd prefer us to not discuss the girls at all. The daughters have to live in Salida, they have to live in this country, they are already under the microscope... they are not guilty, they alerted the neighbor pretty early, so, they were caring about Suzanne when she was alive.
Wasn’t the order for BM to stay in Chaffee County ? It was mentioned both girls now live in Gunnison or did I read that wrong?
Much difference between the 2 towns

Page 114: "SA Grusing explained that investigators are looking for proof of life because we have a difference of her breathing and then Barry seeing her. Barry said "Yeah"". Is this to mean that there is actually electronic data from a fit bit or smartwatch? Barry insisted that she was snoring lightly at 5:00am....now if the data shows otherwise....Any thoughts?
I really hope that Suzanne's body is found before the trial. And the sooner the better, while it may still give up some information.
If Suzanne is found, I would fully expect two separate memorial services...one for the Moormans and one for the Morphews. That too puts the daughters into the divisiveness which Barry has created. I have seen this happen in a bitter divorce case where one ex-spouse died...the two families could not even be at the same funeral service. These two daughters trauma is not over by a longshot...very unfortunate...the house that Barry built.

*GRAPHIC*
Terrible topic but I can’t shake it.
I kept getting terrible feelings while reading the AA that given all of the premed and documented all night activity on both nights..
Did he dismember her?
Chris McDonough said as much in a recent video and my feeling solidified itself then. I never gave it much regard before because of course it leaves an exponential amount of evidence.. but he’s likely dressed 1000 deers with tarps etc.
I also cannot unsee the “spa chemicals” coming into play here. MG’s eyes watered as she entered that room… that was not just from the pool. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa