Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally get that it’s a crime and punishable offense, but let’s say (hypothetically) there is a steady history of proof he made payments to the account (credit card) via his own bank account and/or had proof of cash or check deposits to her bank account(s) in question… would the argument of a shared account/funds hold up in court then?

no. Unless it was a joint account with his name on it, if the account holder dies someone cannot access that account in the days after death. Black-and-white.

Regarding the 'fraud'/ credit card thing. Seems obvious to me that the motivation of the charge is less likely about the so-called alleged crime itself and more about a means to an end. (Yeah, I know, Captain Obvious). But, if I read the thing correctly, Laundrie is said to have had the PIN. So, someone had to give him the PIN, no? (Unless, the belief is that he hacked it.) Would that not dilute the claim that he was unauthorized?
Not when the owner of the card is dead, and the death has been declared a homicide.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I think they did at least suspect he did something wrong, but maybe Brian didn't start to panic until Gabby was reported missing and the story was all over the news IMO

The bit that I can’t get over is the fact that they didn’t return any calls or text messages to a family desperately searching for their daughter. Surely as parents themselves or out of compassion for a girl they had known for 2 years…. That’s the part that makes me think they were ready to conceal from the start. I can’t rationalise why they would do this if they weren’t trying to conceal something.

You could very well be right. However, I speculate the swamp is a big (and apparently effective) red herring. I speculate the days leading up to the big disappearance were planning and prep time, and concocting this ruse. They must know that recovering anything from that alligator infested swamp would be very difficult. Makes a good "disappearance" story.

I'm not buying it.

I still think he's been secreted away via fishing boat or similar, and is in Mexico, or hunkered down upstate NY in the woods. Likely with a whole new "makeover". Mexico is most likely IMO.

I could be wrong, I am frequently. But this is my prime theory ATM.
All just amateur opinion and speculation
Exactly, you couldn't ask for a better diversion, and I am not buying it either. You're spot on about the makeover as well. IMHO, BL is hoping that they will give up searching and assume he was eaten by an alligator. Whatever money and resources he had must be running low by now, and it will be difficult for him to get more. He'll turn up alive and looking for food or handouts. But where? He could be absolutely anywhere by now. MOO

The bit that I can’t get over is the fact that they didn’t return any calls or text messages to a family separately searching for their sons fiancé. Surely as parents themselves or out of compassion for a girl they had known for 2 years…. That’s the part that makes me think they were ready to conceal from the start. I can’t rationalise why they would do this if they weren’t trying to conceal something.
You summed it up perfectly. These parents are now standing squarely in the spotlight of suspicion, IMO.

Amateur opinion and speculation

So, maybe someone already asked this but IF they went camping in that small camper over labor day weekend. . . why hasn't someone come forward to say they had a sighting (unless BL stayed inside and no one would really recognize the parents), or they didn't go camping and just loaded that rig up with gear and got him somewhere quiet. JMO.
If they were setting him up for a hidey-hole, it would have been a remote spot, not a campground where other campers would be. jmo

I know most of my partner’s passwords, including her debit card pin, phone passcode, and social media sites.

This is pretty common IMO. I am 27 and know lots of my friend’s phone passcodes too, just from being around them.
No kiddin'. Didn't know that. Welp, there are a lot of felons out there then!

Guys.. I haven’t read every page from the new thread yet, but just from the beginning people are wondering why they’re doing this why they’re doing that. Remember.. the FBI is very tight lipped.. so they know A LOT more than they’re releasing to the public.
We sure they aren't just "grasping at straws" to try to flush him out if he is in there

True. But he could claim he took her cards and left her because they had a fight, and when he left her she was alive. That would be theft at the most, right? MOO
He doesn’t have to say anything. His attorney will give all possible other things that could have happened. One of them could be such a scenario. Jury would have to decide if there is reasonable doubt he broke law. Will be instructed that his silence not to be used against him. Leaving a dead body and not reporting it not illegal even.
As for van and cards , he likely did use them as his all of the time through mutual agreement. I know a lot of couples who pool resources and don’t bother to put things in both names and they don’t think a thing about both using. It’s not unusual. Who among us have not used family member credit card or lent ours out for reason?
True story here: Cousins aunt died while cousin out of town doing stuff for aunt and paying for it with aunts credit card as well as travel and hotel expenses. Aunt died that morning and in this little town word travels fast and they closed down accounts quickly but charges went through after death. And, yes, it caused issues , though resolved since no fraud was intended snd no one wanted to go after cousin. But it was an issue. Apparently a hard and fast rule that you can’t use US bank funds of deceased even with permission prior without specific set up of account

Good Morning WS Buds!
My theory continues to evolve. He killed her and left her out in the open to be done away by animals. In order to distance himself from the crime scene, he straps on his backpack and concocts his "I've been hiking along the 'Snake River For Days' story. First happy campers he meets, he offers them $200 for a 10 mile ride to Jackson to establish an alibi. He thinks better of hitching back home, because he's scared her body and the van will be discovered by campers near Spread Creek, the cops will be notified and he'll be picked up on the road 400 miles away with his thumb sticking out.

He bolts from the campers' van at Jackson to clean up and find a ride back to the crime scene. He finds a ride, gets himself dropped of near where the van is located and walks back to the crime scene where he picks up Gabby's van and hauls *advertiser censored** back to Florida.

He would have been smarter, to hitchhike back to Florida, leave van and say that they broke up and he left. But hey, its not smart to murder so I guess he isn't smart

Do kids have to take Spanish in school in New York State or is it optional? Would BL have a working knowledge of Spanish? Did anyone here go to school with him? Could he blend in to a Spanish speaking country?
And most importantly, is anyone aware of a site like this one in Spanish? Does Mexico or another country in South America have a site like this where we should post in Spanish his picture and a brief description of what’s happening.

Are you asking if there are large expanses of land in Mexico and South America? Because yes absolutely. They have every type of climate- mountains; rain forest; deserts; savanna’s; grasslands; etc. they literally have so many large open “wilderness” areas that if one wanted to, could probably inhabit without drawing attention- if they had the basic survival and hunting skills. It would probably help to have a weapon of some type for hunting food, a fire starter, etc. if Brian is truly the nature survivalist man he likes to portray on his social media, then Mexico and South America would definitely have many places for him to hide and be off grid. However, I just don’t feel like he made it across any boarders. Maybe I’m wrong but I just don’t think he went to Mexico or South America. I don’t know what to think at this point- at first I thought he killed himself but it’s been 10+ days since he was last seen and no body found yet. I mean why would he hide his body if he was going to kill himself? I feel like LE would have found it by now if that’s the case. I think he is probably in some wilderness type area in southern USA - and probably plans to kill himself or suicide by cop, if he is found or close to being found. We shall see what happens. Hope whatever happens, happens soon!

So here's the theory.

1. She was killed on the 29th during the day.
2. He hiked to the town afterwards, had a shower.
3. He hitchhiked back, but when he realised the first woman turned off on the wrong road (not the highway leading to the van), he freaked out and got out.
4. He was picked up by a second woman and dropped back to the gates of the teton camping area where the van was / Gabby's body was.
5. He packed up / thought about what to do for a few hours / freaked out. Headed out before 11pm.
6. 11pm he was seen on CCTV at Jackson gas/petrol station filling up car and rambling to himself.
7. He drove straight home on no sleep / adrenaline / fear. It is nearly EXACTLY 36 hours from the last sighting to the time he turned off the highway near his home at 10:30 am.
8. Told his parents.
9. They took him camping from 2-9th to work out what to do. Came home, lawyered up and couldn't speak to police due to legal advice.

I think you are 100% right. Fits. Just wish LE would leak out some more information that they have, but as usual they keep so much close to the chest.

But, with a bit more information, sleuthers might be able to track Brian. He might have left the swamp.

A temporary flight restriction has today been raised up to 1,200 feet, from 400, WFLA reports.

North Port police have documented the search throughout the week as officers have been snapped wading through muddy waters.

Cops from Lee County are also assisting the investigation and officers are using their Dragonfish drone technology as police try to find Laundrie, according to WFTS.

It can stay up in the air for around two hours and costs around $0.75 to operate while a chopper costs around $2,000 an hour.
Inside hunt for Brian Laundrie as footage shows teams battling through swamps

Totally get that it’s a crime and punishable offense, but let’s say there’s a steady history of proof he made payments to the account (credit card) via his own bank account and/or had proof of cash or check deposits to her bank account(s) in question? Would the argument of a shared account/funds hold up in court then?

No there are joint bank accounts for this very reason. Gabby's parents, who are presumably the beneficiaries on the account, could make a claim against Capital One that they paid out their funds to an unauthorized party.

I think LE is using this statute in particular because it is strict and about unauthorized access, not theft. With theft you could try to argue like you are suggesting that it is not theft because it was your own property. But here the question will be: was this your PIN or did Gabby give you permission at that moment to use her PIN to withdraw money? If the answer is no, that is the use of an unauthorized access device.

I made a snarky comment yesterday that usually I am fighting about how overbroad these "unauthorized access" laws are as they have been used to punish journalists and academic freedom activists. One of the co-founders of Reddit was charged with 11 violations of the similar computer unauthorized access law (1030) for using MIT credentials to download academic articles from JSTOR. He was facing 35 years in prison and killed himself while awaiting trial.

If anyone other than BL killed Gabby, why would BL be running from the cops? Unless he's dead already and isn't actually running; just not found
Well, he wouldn’t know the police were after him if his intention was to go off the grid without a phone for whatever reasons. It’s a flimsy argument, but could technically be true. /JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member