Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
This whole van life nomad type experience isn’t for me at all. It’s essentially homelessness and I’ve been homeless.

I do agree it's a funny niche trend that has developed. It's almost like a step-down from having a camper van, and I think the van-lifers see it as more 'authentic' and 'virtuous' becuase they are doing it in the most base way.

Like you say, it's technically elective holiday homelessness for a short period of time. It's OK if there are no other alternatives, or you are going to a place so remote there is nowhere to stay. But otherwise, nope.

Most van-lifers are of a certain age that need Wi-Fi and constant contact. They probably haven't had much experience with proper bushwhacking or backpacking, or true wilderness living, so use gas stoves or restaurants and not camp fires.

It's a short term adventure holiday for those that can afford it, to live like a homeless person temporarily. It's a weird thing when you think about it.....

MOO.

Last edited:
I sure wish BL had been under surveillance from the git go. I know it's hind sight, but so many ID shows with similar circumstances show surveillance initiated right away on a POI that hasn't been formally labeled a POI.
Especially since he could have been visiting Gabby (they didn’t know where she was at this point! he could have led them right to her, if she was hiding!), visiting a crime scene, visiting a body, hiding evidence, etc.

But I think this may aid the explanation…
Someone made a great point on twitter (if you’re in here, S/O to you!) that in the initial incident report from 8/12 Gabby is listed as “suspect” and Brian as “victim”. Not sure how these incident reports work since no one was charged— were the North Port PD able to pull up this incident report when they first got the call about her being missing on 9/10-9/11? If so, this could create clear bias for the North Port Police at the beginning of their investigation of her missing persons’s case. Could that have caused them to treat Brian less intensively and insist there was “no evidence of criminal activity”, maybe assuming since she was the previous ‘bad guy’ from the report that her being ‘missing’ wasn’t a serious concern? Hence letting him go without surveillance, etc. Possibly why the police didn’t take the Petito family seriously when they first reported on 9/10?

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1441572922301296640

Here is our latest. Noreen Gibbons –a close family friend of the Petito’s– says Gabby and Brian were planning to end their trip with her in Portland. She was like a grandma to Gabby. “I don’t know if I want him dead or if I want him alive to face the consequences," she says now.

The tweet includes a video with Noreen Gibbons and also includes the police surrounding the Laundrie home after a report of gunshots being heard, but there was no evidence of this.

THIS this is the lady who BL refers to in the Moab video...i always said how can he not think she's on any medications but knows that her grandmas best friend lives in Oregon., because I also think he did say they were going there. To me it was weird -the way he answered the medication question., and of course the plastic bottle thing. . . JMO.

I've never had a 'burner phone'. I realize they are probably for making and receiving calls, but are they usable for text messaging and internet access?
Yes, you could. But the whole point of a burner is to make yourself untraceable. Text messaging at extended length is a risk depending on who you’re talking to and whether or not that person is being monitored as a means of getting to you. Though you can always toss the phone and get a new one after a few days.

How could he ask if BL has no phone?
I’m assuming he has a burner phone and that his parents have some way to contact him.

I just want to know if there is a legal obligation on the part of the attorney, to put out a public announcement to BL to do so, now that BL is an actual fugitive from justice. He wasn’t before.

Regarding the Labor Day trip. . .Can anyone out there tell me if the family had a history of going camping? It it to me not something one does on a whim..preparation, food, mapping the place you will stay, open site to put camper. It seems odd. JMO.

We sometimes decide on a whim to go camping one or two days before the actual trip. We have all supplies stored together in the garage and just pack them in. Granted we are also younger than BLs parents. Camping on Labor Day is also a tradition in my state (not Florida) so this could have been planned, if it was on that actual weekend. The main difficulty is food - do I go camping in the middle of nowhere and I need to plan and bring all food? That takes time to prepare. Or do I go to Yosemite Valley with pizza vendors in the park where I always can grab a bite?

I don't know if they had a history of going camping. But the fact that they had some supplies would perhaps suggest so.

That all said, I don't think this was a regular camping trip.

I sure wish BL had been under surveillance from the git go. I know it's hind sight, but so many ID shows with similar circumstances show surveillance initiated right away on a POI that hasn't been formally labeled a POI.
I honestly think he was already gone in hiding before anybody knew she was missing.

And how long it takes to officially report it. My sister was here in home hospice and I was asleep when she passed away but I woke up around 11pm. and called the hospice then had to wait til someone arrived to officially declare and report her death.....they did not do that until after midnight, so they declared her death as Dec. 1, but she died on Nov. 30. I hate to remember that, but it's stuck in my brain. JMO

It's when the coroner/medical examiner does the official pronouncement of death. My dad's DC also says 4/9 when we know he passed on 4/8. It's stuck in my brain, too.

I got to say I’m happy they’re not live streaming Gabby’s service.. her family deserves to say goodbye peacefully

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1441773504173690882?s=21
Anyone wonder if they are trying to lure Brian to the memorial service, in person? He wouldn’t be that dumb, right? But if he was the one who’d made that initial stone cross by her body (I know, there were reports the family did it, but confusion about when the first was laid) he COULD have a twisted sense of “paying respects” and maybe would want to somehow do so, or taunt the police? I think I’m reaching, and there’s no way, but I just had to say it. Because with COVID I would’ve maybe expected the virtual component otherwise

Question here: how did FBI get involved, why was this a federal case as soon as the Laundries filed the missing persons report? Gabby’s body was not yet found. No charges were filed against him. Or am I mistaking the timeline here?

This may have been answered already but Grand Teton and Bridger Teton are within the jurisdiction of the federal District of Wyoming by statute. Wyoming state police do not service the national parks- so even a ticket for littering is handled by the feds. To the extent that they were looking for a missing person in Grand Teton early on, that would be handled by the FBI as the law enforcement investigative agency for the jurisdiction.

The FBI did not take over the Florida portion of the case until Gabby was found and there was officially a federal crime (since it occurred on federal land). NPPD was the one to handle the initial search warrants like for the stuff found in the van.

A few thoughts, obviously all my own opinions:

1. BL presents as a narcissist. These are people who never think they're in the wrong and always think they're smarter than all the other 'sheeple'. They typically do not respond suicidally. (I've met a lot of them professionally and they will bend your ear for hours about how nothing was their fault).
  2. BL is afraid of authority. The traffic stop shows him as completely submissive to the cops and trying to plead with them to get out of trouble.
  3. I think his survival skills are marginal at best. Also, in the van life videos I've seen, Gabby does everything and he just watches. His clothing - shorts, flip flops, t-shirts - is always the opposite of technical.
  4. There was almost certainly tension in the home once Gabby went missing. It's possible he was given some kind of ultimatum by the parents (or not, obviously).
  5. I suspect the so-called 'camping trip' holds a lot of clues, which is why we've heard nothing about it from anyone. The fact that there were no sightings on the busiest camping day of the year is extremely significant to me.
  6. He didn't take wallet and phone with him when he left because these were ways he could be tracked or identified. That strongly suggests he was going on the run, not to off himself.
  7. I suspect based on all of this that he drove to the reserve, parked the car, hiked in, and then left by another route. I would be very curious what evidence the cops do or don't have about the movements of the parents' truck that night.
  8. He probably has plenty of cash on him, either from looting Gabby's account or his own or his parents.
  9. The parents do not seem to show any signs of being worried about him, despite the statements. If they actually feared for his life they'd be on TV pleading with him and fully cooperating with the authorities. They appear to be much more worried about legal jeopardy than physical jeopardy.
  10. If I had to guess, he's holed up in some shack or boat, or doing the Mostly Harmless thing on the Appalachian Trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500