Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
This haunts me too. If it wasn't for the Bethunes deciding to look back through their footage for that day it might have been years before she was found, and I think BL was counting on that.

I sincerely hope the Laundries family camper and red truck are being scoped out on videos and CCTV cameras around the country. Seems to me we should be following that camper after the fact. Brian has been wherever its been seen!

It's unclear what developments have come about in the past 36 hours since local officials announced the conclusion of their fourth day in a Florida nature preserve on Friday. A police spokesperson confirmed that the search would continue into the weekend but acknowledged the manpower dedicated to finding Laundrie was pulling resources from other cases.
Family Lawyer Says FBI Picked Up DNA Samples of Indicted Gabby Petito Fiancé

Let's not forget, the only thing Gabby said was that she hit him on the arm. Those spots on his face could have been from popping pimples, bug bites, etc. Gabby was more than willing to be upfront about what she had done, if she had scratched his face she would have stated such.

I don't know about that. If he snatched her face like she said he did, I don't have a problem with the fact that she might have put those marks on his face. I believe she did it. I wouldn't just let someone hit me and snatch my face and take my keys and get away with it.

I think Gabby probably did do it, defending herself or stopping him from stealing her van.

Probably a short time frame. I have a feeling they're on an extremely short leash with the FBI.

I don't even trust the parents to give the FBI something with BL's DNA on it. Brian has a shaven head, so no hairbrush. Anything he would have drunk out of would have been thrown out or washed days ago.

Toothbrush? Maybe he didn't take one with him as where would he clean his teeth?

The same response BL had/has about GPs murder

Although none of us have actually seen ANY footage of BL since GP's murder so we can't be sure that that was his demeanour.

On the other hand, we've seen plenty footage of his parents so we can categorically state that IS their demeanour. Anything on BL is purely speculation until we have actual footage to the contrary.

MOO

The FBI requested some personal items belonging to Brian Laundrie to assist them with DNA matching, and Brian’s parents provided the FBI with what they could,” Steven Bertolino, the Laundrie’s lawyer, told Fox News. The outlet reported that agents left the Laundrie house with a brown paper bag.
FBI Agents Get Personal Items From Brian Laundrie's Home for 'DNA Matching'

"I think they will find that they sort of manipulated the situation to not take someone into custody," Brett Tolman, a former U.S. Attorney for the District of Utah, told Fox News on Sunday. "I think the fact that they had another eyewitness that is not involved in it, and is objective, and said ‘he hit her’ … you're going to have a majority of officers take him into custody."
Gabby Petito memorial service planned for Sunday as Brian Laundrie remains missing: LIVE UPDATES

What is confusing me at the moment is why, after receiving the written statement hours later, didn't they go to Brian (or find Gabby) and arrest him later? They knew where Brian was.
I don't blame them for what happened 2 weeks later but they miscalculated and need to realize that. On the other hand, at least the couple was separated for the night and Gabby had a good talk with the female ranger, which, ultimately didn't change anything. If Brian had been sent to jail, Gabby may have been murdered on the 13th, after she scooped him up from the hoosegow. Clearly, no one could save her from what would surely happen sometime in the future. Sickening. JMO

I don't even trust the parents to give the FBI something with BL's DNA on it. Brian has a shaven head, so no hairbrush. Anything he would have drunk out of would have been thrown out or washed days ago.

Toothbrush? Maybe he didn't take one with him as where would he clean his teeth?

If he didn't clean his feet then his teeth had no chance!

Yeah, when Gabby was described as out of control, manic and hysterical, I think that was a red flag for many of us. The officers seemed to take everything Brian said as truth without investigating much further.

In part of Officer Robbin's report he wrote, "While arguing on Main Street he had attempted to separate her so they could both calm their emotions. He got into their van and Gabrielle had gone into a manic state."

Then, after describing Brian's account of her hitting him to get his attention after seeing his lights behind them, he wrote, "This, however was not consistent with Gabrielle's statement, further suggesting her confused and emotional state."

Then later, "At no point in my investigation did Gabrielle stop crying, breathing heavily, or compose a sentence without needing to wipe away tears, wipe her nose, or rubbing her knees with her hands."

Then, ironically, they concluded that 'Brian' did not show signs of "battered boyfriend syndrome."

(This from portions of the report on thread 2, page 21 and 22.)
This ^^^^. Any fair minded person can see that these written descriptions do not accurately reflect the bodycam. Implicit bias can kill.
JMHO

The officers involved will likely face disciplinary action, said Utah attorney Brett Tolman, a former U.S. Attorney for the District of Utah.

"I think they will find that they sort of manipulated the situation to not take someone into custody," he told Fox News on Sunday. "I think the fact that they had another eyewitness that is not involved in it, and is objective, and said ‘he hit her’ … you're going to have a majority of officers take him into custody."
That is so tragic. Ever since I read that the original caller said the male hit the female I though of DV laws that require a mandatory arrest. I can barely think of what might have happened differently if he was arrested, even overnight.

ETA - I apologize if this has already been discussed. I take my kid shopping for the afternoon and I’m behind two threads.

Last edited:
In the picture of the evidence the FBI obtained today if you enlarge it you can see that it's soft, the part not where the agent's hands are is partially open just enough to see it's some type of fabric. MOO

fbi-laundrie-113.jpg
If it is fabric that means they think they want to match fibres. If it is fibres we are likely taking about fine fibres found in an oesophagus. The alt is some fabrid was used by the parents to wrap some other item before collection.

I do agree with the person who just said it’s a bit late to gather some DNA evidence. Wouldn’t they have gotten any items already from the van, mustang, camper, home, in their previous trip to the home? Hmm. Need to think about this.

If you get DNA from any crime scene, you then must go get known DNA of victims and suspects to compare it to what you found.

Thank you! Mr. Pratt later goes on to say he rang Chris while on scene after speaking with Gabby and Brian to obtain more information from him.
But that report only mentions one witness, not the witness who first called and left his contract details. It completely ignores the that the male was hitting the female and was manipulated to make the female look the aggressor.

Thank you! Mr. Pratt later goes on to say he rang Chris on scene after speaking with the Gabby and Brian to obtain more information from him..

We are reading a second hand account of what was said on the phone. Officer Pratt says about the call to "Chris" from the scene is that "the driver...had some sort of argument with the female...as I recall," "As I recall" is a significant hedge.

We don't know what exactly Chris said at the time, which could have been up to an hour and a half later (the stop was a long one, the report doesn't say what time he called Chris, but we don't see him making any call before talking to GP or BL), or what Officer Pratt asked Chris -- and Officer Pratt's report was written from memory ("as I recall") hours (up to a day, since the report is dated August 13) after the fact. That is exactly how inaccuracies in eyewitness memory are introduced, even accidentally.

What we know for sure is that a statement written by Chris 2.5 hours after the stop says one thing, and a contemporaneous and spontaneous 911 call says another. And that the dispatcher accurately reported what the 911 caller said, because we have heard a recording and seen a transcript.

Was it the tall bearded officer who followed up with this witness who “was not entirely sure what he had seen, but feared the worst?”

I ask because I’d be concerned that this particular officer, whose arrival at the scene IMO totally shifted the dynamic at the scene to align with his own bias, may have influenced this witness just as he worked at influencing GP (telling her she played a role in worsening things by “spiraling” BL’s anxiety) and the officer who had arrived at the scene initially (when he pulled that officer aside to summarize that they were required to identify either GP or BL as perpetrator and that they should choose GP as such based on GP’s and BL’s statements on scene and visible marks on BL, but COMPLETELY ignoring (1) the witness’s call to 911 reporting BL hitting and chasing GP, (2) BL’s speeding and temporarily evading the officer chasing him as he drove, and (3) the obvious size and strength - POWER - differential between the two.

It is notable that the original officer at the scene, when calling to arrange a hotel room for BL (as the decided “victim”) for the night, asked the person he was calling whether it would be possible to arrange that room for GP instead, even though she was the one who’d be cited for DV. He was apparently told that wouldn’t be possible; however, that he asked seems to me to indicate this officer is not sold on the idea that GP was the primary abuser. He may have considered her actions reactive to BL’s.

It is also notable the female officer (ranger) does not appear at the scene to be in concurrence with the conclusion of the other officers. And reports since indicate she was advising GP to recognize she was being mistreated, deserved better, and should get help removing herself from the relationship.

I think tall bearded cop pushed his own agenda on everyone at that scene, thus enabling BL, dismissing GP and potentially contributing to her continued codependency, and completely bypassing his fellow officers’ own intuitions and conclusions. At no time after he stated how he saw things did he ask that fellow officer what he thought. He didn’t want to know.

ETA: On occasions such as this where there is not clarity, there ought to be options besides required citation of one party, including temporary citation and sheltering of both of the persons involved, with social worker counseling outside of the immediate crisis to discern the reality of the relationship dynamics.

It makes me sick to think about how both GP and BL left that encounter, him emboldened and her weakened. And when I consider that she was both living with BL in his parents’ home AND working for them at the juice bar, I think she’d been living with a substantial power differential for a long while.
Totally, totally agree with you that the bearded officer changed the dynamic the second he got off the phone. He had made his mind up at that point and there was nothing that was going to change it. It breaks my heart to think of that poor girl driving away in that van after that traffic stop. She must have felt entirely alone.

I agree. If they swabbed the van for DNA and got some, then they should have some. Now they need known DNA of Gabby and/or Brian to confirm whose DNA is whose.
Also, IMO, to rule him in or out if there is evidence of intercourse or rape, or blood-not-Gabby's. I'm hoping the parents were smart enuff to give the FBI items that actually belonged to BL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoptti