Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thin
This haunts me too. If it wasn't for the Bethunes deciding to look back through their footage for that day it might have been years before she was found, and I think BL was counting on that.
I think airstream lady reported her sighting around the same time Bethunes did, but Bethunes was valuable because of the video. JMO

exactly, i dont understand all these posts thinking the officers could have done ANYTHING to stop what happened, these are two adults we are talking about, they are not children that you can make do something,if either of them wanted to leave the other one they could have that very night. Gabby had the van, she could have left that night if she wanted too. have yall ever tried to keep a young girl away from their boyfriend if they werent ready to be away? wasnt gonna happen no matter what they did, they certainly couldnt lock him up for life, <modsnip - opinion stated as fact>!!!

GP had also spoke to her parents during that stop, said to LE 'it was the first time' for this type of behavior. I think as i've said it was a tough call...For me, As a female, and if i were there I know i would have found her crying and fragility concerning, I would have done something. . . But I wasn't there and hindsight is 20/20. Someone way back posted some study / journal article about issues like this (i think thread 34 or 35). . IMO there was a lot of discussion about what to do, and review of standards, and I started to think that LE had some degree of decision fatigue after an hour.

Things I don't understand still: *the phone thing-i'll probably never make sense of that, (because even now with him missing he left his 'phone' at home, * no speeding ticket and his failure to maintain control (he crossed the double yellow lines too), * Witness statements, I heard LE on the phone only once discussing ONE witness statement which aligned with BL's statement. So, I think it was like a game of telephone. 2 LE's talking to 2 people separately then discussing what each said (which can be open to bias or interpretation or even bad listening).
*IMO retrospectively, LE should have both spoke to each of them as a team. Then had discussion. But maybe that's not SOP.

So, i'm not a cop, I'm sitting as a monday morning quarterback and it changes nothing.

***I think that there are many things that are a mystery that we will never know

When I see it mentioned that it was wrong for the LE that pulled them over to act chummy with BL during the stop, it clearly shows a lack of understanding of interrogation and investigations. It is the best method to get him to show his hand, so to speak. Tell false stories of dealing with women, become relatable, let him relax and say "yeah, I did slap her, you get it."

I do agree with the person who just said it’s a bit late to gather some DNA evidence. Wouldn’t they have gotten any items already from the van, mustang, camper, home, in their previous trip to the home? Hmm. Need to think about this.

In the picture of the evidence the FBI obtained today if you enlarge it you can see that it's soft, the part not where the agent's hands are is partially open just enough to see it's some type of fabric. MOO

fbi-laundrie-113.jpg

exactly, i dont understand all these posts thinking the officers could have done ANYTHING to stop what happened, these are two adults we are talking about, they are not children that you can make do something,if either of them wanted to leave the other one they could have that very night. Gabby had the van, she could have left that night if she wanted too. have yall ever tried to keep a young girl away from their boyfriend if they werent ready to be away? wasnt gonna happen no matter what they did, they certainly couldnt lock him up for life, <modsnip - opinion stated as fact>!!!
If they had him handcuffed and in the patrol car for the offense REPORTED BY THE EYEWITNESS and while that was going on, the female ranger had had the frank talk with GP in that scenario, Gabby might have made a choice to stop the van life dream long enough to ask family for help. Big ifs, I know.

We really need to examine the biases of the male officers and their actions vs. the female ranger's observations and her assertiveness with GP. I think MH (the ranger) saw the truth and I wouldn't be surprised if she sent feedback to the PD that the officer's decisions needed to be reviewed.

JMO

Respectfully, that is incorrect. The written statement was taken at the home of the witness at 7 PM. The incident occurred at 4:30. It's in the report.

link: https://twitter.com/kkuizon/status/1438202349395267584?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1438202349395267584|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://www.fox13news.com/news/utah-police-report-shows-possible-mental-health-concerns-tension-between-gabby-petito-brian-laundrie

"Around 1900 hours, I went to <redacted> where witness Christopher <redacted> lived and had him fill out a statement form...he was not entirely sure what he had seen, but feared the worst..."
Was it the tall bearded officer who followed up with this witness who “was not entirely sure what he had seen, but feared the worst?”

I ask because I’d be concerned that this particular officer, whose arrival at the scene IMO totally shifted the dynamic at the scene to align with his own bias, may have influenced this witness just as he worked at influencing GP (telling her she played a role in worsening things by “spiraling” BL’s anxiety) and the officer who had arrived at the scene initially (when he pulled that officer aside to summarize that they were required to identify either GP or BL as perpetrator and that they should choose GP as such based on GP’s and BL’s statements on scene and visible marks on BL, but COMPLETELY ignoring (1) the witness’s call to 911 reporting BL hitting and chasing GP, (2) BL’s speeding and temporarily evading the officer chasing him as he drove, and (3) the obvious size and strength - POWER - differential between the two.

It is notable that the original officer at the scene, when calling to arrange a hotel room for BL (as the decided “victim”) for the night, asked the person he was calling whether it would be possible to arrange that room for GP instead, even though she was the one who’d be cited for DV. He was apparently told that wouldn’t be possible; however, that he asked seems to me to indicate this officer is not sold on the idea that GP was the primary abuser. He may have considered her actions reactive to BL’s.

It is also notable the female officer (ranger) does not appear at the scene to be in concurrence with the conclusion of the other officers. And reports since indicate she was advising GP to recognize she was being mistreated, deserved better, and should get help removing herself from the relationship.

I think tall bearded cop pushed his own agenda on everyone at that scene, thus enabling BL, dismissing GP and potentially contributing to her continued codependency, and completely bypassing his fellow officers’ own intuitions and conclusions. At no time after he stated how he saw things did he ask that fellow officer what he thought. He didn’t want to know.

ETA: On occasions such as this where there is not clarity, there ought to be options besides required citation of one party, including temporary citation and sheltering of both of the persons involved, with social worker counseling outside of the immediate crisis to discern the reality of the relationship dynamics.

It makes me sick to think about how both GP and BL left that encounter, him emboldened and her weakened. And when I consider that she was both living with BL in his parents’ home AND working for them at the juice bar, I think she’d been living with a substantial power differential for a long while.

Last edited:
Hi Alethea, this is an interesting tidbit & thank you for the info. So, the FBI is able to make unannounced visits, make observations, and interact with occupants totally unprepared for "visitors." A Walk-thru eases suspicions of whether or not BL is hiding out in the home

Yep, that's the benefit of a search warrant. LE is permitted to search the specified property for the specified items, even if the owners object.

This haunts me too. If it wasn't for the Bethunes deciding to look back through their footage for that day it might have been years before she was found, and I think BL was counting on that.

I sincerely hope the Laundries family camper and red truck are being scoped out on videos and CCTV cameras around the country. Seems to me we should be following that camper after the fact. Brian has been wherever its been seen!

Could FBI have been getting documents for consent to publish his DNA in a database for other local LE to look up? Looked like they took in and brought out a clipboard that opens to store paperwork to me.

Could have been a chain of custody form on the clipboard. It's anyone's guess at this point. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oma13