Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
RS&BBM

BBM
Thank you, @Parsnip for recalling my previous post and @Purplepixii, I wonder the same thing. Not because I truly believe BL is not guilty of GP's murder, but the data we have at hand also fit a scenario in which BL does not kill GP. I posted my "alternative" scenario on T#35, P#599, found here:
Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #35

To respond to some of the concerns with this scenario, I'll build off of my initial post as follows (all IMO!):

In this alternative scenario, GP stays put in the van when BL leaves for his Snake River hike (to clear his head and avoid hurting her) after the Merry Piglet rage scene the afternoon of 8/27. She stays put because BL has her phone, the van keys, and maybe her wallet (so she doesn't go anywhere without him).

Nothing of GP/BL's was stolen from the empty van during the assault that killed GP (likely 8/28) or before BL returned to the van on 8/29 because it is common knowledge that rape is about violence and not about theft, as are many murders without sexual assault.

As I understand the time line, on 8/27, Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Dailymail article). This alternative scenario could fit with that fact, in that Gabby could have sent this to her friend the morning of 8/27, before the Merry Piglet restaurant blow-up. Maybe she and BL had in fact made plans to go to Yellowstone – perhaps on 8/28.

Further, I still contend BL texted GP’s Mom about Stan on 8/27 (prior post of mine). This could have happened after the Merry Piglet restaurant as BL may have taken GP’s phone from her (as he tended to do). And Regarding the 8/30 text to GP’s Mom, it is possible BL still had GP’s phone with him when he left for a hike. That explains the radio silence from GP's phone on 8/28 (and 8/29). Either before he left for home on 8/30 or on his way, he replied to GP's Mom to just stop her texts.

We do not know if LE is searching for another possible killer in the Teton’s. But this scenario proposes that an alternative killer would not necessarily be on foot… perhaps he was already in the campground and noticed GP alone, or perhaps GP sought some food or help while BL was on his hike, in this alternative scenario.

And there may not be another POI (in WY perhaps) because maybe LE hasn’t gotten that far. Isn’t the autopsy findings pending pathology and toxicology? If they could do a rape kit, is DNA pending? And does anyone know if a rape kit can be done on a partially decomposed body?

The reason BL did not call GP’s parents to check on GP when he did not find her at the van on 8/29 after his hike, is a weak link for this alternative scenario, as most socially assimilated and civil people would call everyone who knew GP, and LE. But in the alternative scenario I posed, I added the comment for this step in the time line that “this would have to presume BL does not process information like most people... this would require a suspension of normal social expectations.”

Anyhow, as prudent sleuthers we must always be flipping the proverbial coin around in our minds. Given the scant amount of directly incriminating evidence that BL killed GP, there is room for other options. And I think BL's parents' laissez faire attitude does, on the surface, appear to show they don't think BL did anything wrong.

All IMO!

This is a fascinating alternative scenario but IMO I doubt it's what happened. On another note... This is the fastest thread I have ever seen on WS - I can't keep up!

Can I ask a question or two peppered with speculation?

Assuming BL Murdered GP around the 30th.

He decides he is going to make a run for it. Did he think no one would find her or miss her and he would just go on with his life? Was he trying to come up with some sort of way to explain her death? What was in Florida that he needed?

Familiarity?
Family?

If he left his wallet and phone at home, why did he need to come back?

Did he have a bug out set up to grab?

Does he have a system to move around undetected somehow?

He drove through numerous states that had no idea who he was. He could have just vanished as well. So why did he come back? Did he call his parents and they convinced him to come back?

MOO. He is a selfish , foolish person who panicked. He just ran.

I wanted to comment on an opinion piece posted in the last thread. The author claims to not want to determine right and wrong on the officer's actions. But then he does just that and defends him. The author completely misses the fact that the 911 call was completely ignored and Gabby should never have been deemed the aggressor and Brian should have been arrested. What a load of bull.

Opinion |It’s time to rethink our approach to domestic partner violence laws

Personally, as the mom of 3 grown sons, my 1st call would be to LE and then a lawyer. I darn sure would do whatever it took to alert LE where to find her!!! I can’t imagine any scenario where I could ever just go on as normal while the girls family were frantic and scared and heartbroken and begging for help. Nope.

It does bring up a good moral question though...like what would I do?? I'd like to say I'd do the right and moral thing, because I'd rather see my son in prison than on the run and possibly dead.
So I am basing my possible actions, on their actions and consequences.

This leads me to believe, that somehow the parents and sister collectively didn't know 'everything'. Because, put 3 family members in a room, tell them you did something really bad, and all agree that you should just lay low? That is what didn't make sense to me, when BL's sister gave the interview. Someone in the family is usually the voice of reason, but if you get half truths, your next actions may be based on only the intel you know.
But now? If a whole bunch of people can see through BL, then they do too. I have also felt (IMO) that his dad knew more than any of the wife or sister. Now, if they do know where BL is (and i feel they may because they are not really stepping up), then that, is a very bad thing. All of this my speculation and overthinking and MOO

Let's assume your son had just told you some version of the truth that he had killed Gabby. Most likely his version involves a scenario of self defense. You know he's in very serious trouble. You've retained a lawyer for him and the lawyer has advised you to say nothing to no one. I'm curious as to what exactly you would say to the frantic parents when you return their call?

LOL. If that were even remotely a possibility, you CALL LE immediately via the attorney and LE would then know where Gabby was immediately and this whole circus would never have happened..............if it were truly self-defense.

I am sorry...no offense, but in no real world does that scenario make sense.

He decides he is going to make a run for it. Did he think no one would find her or miss her and he would just go on with his life? Was he trying to come up with some sort of way to explain her death? What was in Florida that he needed?

Familiarity?
Family?

He drove through numerous states that had no idea who he was. He could have just vanished as well. So why did he come back? Did he call his parents and they convinced him to come back?
Very good question.
Why did he come back?

Because he KNEW mommy and daddy would fix it like they always have?

That's my guess.
MOO

I don't know either. I just feel a gator or any other predator would have left something behind. Perhaps, a camp site or something man-made.
Couldn't he have gone there just to toss the cell phone and other evidence to the gators? Seems like a gator would snap on that without determining if it was actual food.

I just gleaned BL's IG for the first time and noticed a few things.

He is very, VERY comfortable in nature. I was watching his reels and he seems to know his way around things pretty well. Put this together with the fact that we now know his parents camp often, I imagine Brian has collected quite a few outdoor skills over the years. No Bear Grylls, but I really do think it is time to stop discounting him to be just some spoiled kid who can't hold his own. IMO, he absolutely can.

Second point is that in one of the story highlights under 'Van Life', it shows that there is only a curtain that separates the driving portion of the van from the back. So IF the doors WERE closing on the Bethune video, it would not have been dark inside and he would not have had to get out of the back to get to the steering wheel to drive. Not sure if it has been discussed but here is the link: - @bizarre_design_

JMO

Totally different scenarios. Btw, I never thought her brother was guilty. There were many who didn’t think so,

You mean in the spirit GP is dead and they should be grieving? Or at least acting like they are?

Of course not. You mean their son killed her and they don’t want to be reminded of that. They want to just move along, let Brian come home and everything is fine.

Except it’s not.

I remember this case so well and poor CB went through so much! But again they questioned the bf off the bat, in this case they can’t even find him to question him!

Sorry I have to disagree, except for the statement about him still having her phone. The fake text on the 30th shows that he knew she was dead. He then proceeds to use the credit cards and vehicle of a dead woman. That implies consciousness of guilt and it's the actions of many common killers.
Absolutely. If we had never seen the video of the police interaction or heard that 911 call, I MIGHT be able to entertain a different theory.

That video and call showed us for a FACT that Brian can be violent. This incident happened in front of witnesses in broad daylight. Now, imagine what he could do to Gabby while alone.

This is NOT a case of some other suspect did it, and Brian was sooo scared he had to run home. IMO.

It’s often said that a person’s past actions can be a good indicator of future actions. Brian has shown us who he is throughout this whole situation. I, for one, believe it.

I think just the small amount of details we are learning about now will only be the tip of the iceberg when all is said and done. JMO.

Couldn't he have gone there just to toss the cell phone and other evidence to the gators? Seems like a gator would snap on that without determining if it was actual food.

Nothing would surprise me at this point. He isn't a career criminal and I'm sure the bread crumbs he is leaving behind will lead to his arrest . Jmo

Familiarity?
Family?

The first thing one assumes is, he isn't too bright. He is not a forward planner, he is a reactor, a knee jerker, a person who lives in the moment, a grenade thrower, who has so far escaped cleaning up his own mess...

The second thing is, ... and this one is the real reason, he wanted to go home to mum. Now.. I am not saying that Mum rules that household, it could be home to mum and dad, but generally, manbabies want mum more than anything. Gabby mothered him, I suspect.

There really is no rational reason why he would risk that long drive in a stolen car, with a battered body of his girlfriend lying around in a well used national park, unless he was convinced that he had a soft landing and protection and assistance and emotional acceptance and financial and practical help to clean up this mess. Absolutely no reason that stands any scrutiny.

And he was right. There was a lawyer waiting, the camper packed up and ready to go, plans afoot, everyone one the same page about no-speakies to the Petito's...

When I first heard of Dog on the search, and it turns out he was right about the campground … I couldn’t help but remember the John Edwards debacle and the National Enquirer! Goes to show, sometimes you just never know.

It does bring up a good moral question though...like what would I do?? I'd like to say I'd do the right and moral thing, because I'd rather see my son in prison than on the run and possibly dead.
So I am basing my possible actions, on their actions and consequences.

This leads me to believe, that somehow the parents and sister collectively didn't know 'everything'. Because, put 3 family members in a room, tell them you did something really bad, and all agree that you should just lay low? That is what didn't make sense to me, when BL's sister gave the interview. Someone in the family is usually the voice of reason, but if you get half truths, your next actions may be based on only the intel you know.
But now? If a whole bunch of people can see through BL, then they do too. I have also felt (IMO) that his dad knew more than any of the wife or sister. Now, if they do know where BL is (and i feel they may because they are not really stepping up), then that, is a very bad thing. All of this my speculation and overthinking and MOO
The best example I’ve seen was the heartbreaking example of the parents of Jake Patterson, abductor of 14 yo JC, and murderer of her mom & dad. JP’s parents fully supported him while bostering him to man up & take the consequences of his actions with a guilty plea. Nothing but respect to his parents for that. You could tell the “right thing” broke their hearts but they did it anyway. Best possible aftermath of a nightmare, imo.

So… yes, it’s possible to support your son yet do the right thing.

It was definitely in Moab Video. 1: 04 "Is it going to be a far drive for me to go get him in the morning. . . . . as i usually don't drive the van"
So good of you to have found this! If this is what started the whole thought that 'she didn't like to drive the van' then that thought has no legs. She's only said she doesn't usually drive it. No reason as to why.l

RS&BBM

BBM
Thank you, @Parsnip for recalling my previous post and @Purplepixii, I wonder the same thing. Not because I truly believe BL is not guilty of GP's murder, but the data we have at hand also fit a scenario in which BL does not kill GP. I posted my "alternative" scenario on T#35, P#599, found here:
Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #35

The reason BL did not call GP’s parents to check on GP when he did not find her at the van on 8/29 after his hike, is a weak link for this alternative scenario, as most socially assimilated and civil people would call everyone who knew GP, and LE. But in the alternative scenario I posed, I added the comment for this step in the time line that “this would have to presume BL does not process information like most people... this would require a suspension of normal social expectations.”

Anyhow, as prudent sleuthers we must always be flipping the proverbial coin around in our minds. Given the scant amount of directly incriminating evidence that BL killed GP, there is room for other options. And I think BL's parents' laissez faire attitude does, on the surface, appear to show they don't think BL did anything wrong.

All IMO!

One thing I can come up with....he was going to be a jerk, and sneak off with the van, leaving her stranded. So they fought, she told him to take a hike, he literally did, then hitchhiked back to get the van. He only checked to see if she was in the van. He never checked to see where she was/how she was.
This seems possible (although I admit, not likely!) because we know he was threatening/started to take the van without her when they were at Moonflower.

So when he starts getting calls from her parents, he starts to get nervous. He thought they would have heard from her by now, after she found transportation and assistance from other campers in the area. He can't talk to them though, because he knows he left her there.

Last edited:

Familiarity?
Family?

That's what I keep asking. If he was just going to disappear on his family, he already had a head start at the end of August, why take the trip back home and risk being seen or pulled over? The only conclusion I can come to is that he needed family help to hide him somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen