Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a possible way to get a separate GP forum for specific theories/news/parts of the case so the threads move slower? I think that with this much discussion it would be much easier to moderate and for members to follow.

This is not the same request but I was wondering if the mods would consider an off-topic thread in basement like a "side bar" for posters to just chat when there is no news pending. I think people have gotten into the habit of coming to this thread to chat (myself included) and maybe that would help slow down the off-topic posting. I'll report my post to see.

Is there a possible way to get a separate GP forum for specific theories/news/parts of the case so the threads move slower? I think that with this much discussion it would be much easier to moderate and for members to follow.

Just use the media thread to catch up (it's up at the top under Located Persons Forums). No discussion allowed there.

IMO and IME, POSSIBLY. I won't claim to be an 'expert' but I do work in the field.
Sorry this is long but I've been wanting to get it out and this question has been asked 100x and I have minute so here you go -

The officer was seriously mistaken in the legal definition of
"Primary aggressor" - The individual who poses the most serious, ongoing threat who might not be the initial aggressor in a specific incident.
This is on every DV training I've ever seen for LE though the wording may vary slightly.

The job of LE in a DV call isn't simply to evaluate what happened in that specific incident but to ALSO evaluate what is going before and after such incidents and in the relationship as a whole. Who and what is causing the escalation of violence. Protocol for LE on DV calls includes lengthy instruction on how to evaluate for co-occurring crime.

Did they even ASK if they had any weapons in the van? Did they ask if BL scares her? Did they ask if she feels safe with him in the van? Did they ask about escalation? Verbal harassment (ie; does he call you names?) Sexual abuse? Why was locking her out of the van in the desert 1000s of miles away from her support network not considered a serious threat in itself? Him attempting to lock her out should be considered primary aggression. If he's threatening to lock her out and leave her - he clearly is the one that is posing the most serious and ongoing threat. Through that lens GP's actions in scratching at him become reactive abuse. Her emotional state becomes abuse victim rather than a mental health episode.

In addition - ignoring GP's claims of how he grabbed her face is against every single bit of DV training that exists. She should have been GRILLED on that. Does he grab her face often? Has he ever (not just that day) grabbed her throat or even put his hand around it? Has he ever choked her or held her down by her neck? Victims who have been choked once are 750 percent more likely to be killed by their abusers.

So aside from correctly evaluating what should they have done?
Had a victim advocate respond. It's imperative in DV situations that there is victim centered and trauma informed support. I do believe that if GP had been given access to a good advocate it's quite possible that she would have revealed more and that advocate could have given her resources and/or connected her with family in order to get her out of the situation. An advocate along with LE can give a victim assurance that if they WANT to get away from the person that they will work in conjunction to make sure that happens (including helping to obtain financial assistance where needed) in a safe manner and that the abuser will not be able to get to them.

As it was GP was left with the knowledge that he was going to be right back with her the next day and it was further framed as "she was in trouble". NO WAY was she going to report anything at that stage. That's about the most terrifying thing a victim of DV can be told. "We're going to separate you ... (heart soars) ... for the night (utter terror)."

And OF COURSE it's possible that GP would have gone right back to BL even with a victim advocate and all the empowerment in the world involved. But it's ALSO possible that with victim centered support she would have been empowered to leave the situation and it would have turned out quite differently.

And if you want to dive into how well victim advocacy /outreach works (https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/238480.pdf ) See the link.

I also attached an image from said link. When women who live with their abuser are assigned to outreach programs a guilty verdict is entered in court 100% of the time. That falls to 33-59% with referral advocacy or no outreach programs.
FANTASTIC post.

A lot of us were trying to articulate why "primary aggressor" was assigned improperly to Gabby, but of course, it should be, "The individual who poses the most serious, ongoing threat who might not be the initial aggressor in a specific incident." That is the only thing that makes any sense at all in a domestic violence situation. It makes no sense to define it as "the first person to show aggression," or "the only person to actually be witnessed slapping," when there were plenty of other ways she was being endangered (the threat of leaving her without a phone and wallet in the desert a couple thousand miles from home, especially when she was dehydrated, as we learned on the most recently-released body-cam footage: "we were out of water, our tank is only six gallons, and I was so thirsty, I just wanted to go so we could fill up our tank.")

That 750% increase in likelihood of being killed if your partner has choked you once is terrifying, and telling.

You can open up a private conversation with anyone interested in discussing strictly X topic and add contributors at your own discretion.

Every time her phone dinged I bet he asked who it was and was jealous. She stayed out in Utah by herself and I bet he wanted to know who she talked to and making sure no guy was texting her or snapping her. I’m sure the phone was a big part of this when all said and done.
She could have taken pictures of bruises she got from him or recorded some of the abuse with her phone as well. Hopefully she did and uploaded it to a personal photo file or YouTube account. There’s no disputing the abuse if you have audio and video of it this day and age.
IMO that may be why he took her phone so much. He wanted that evidence to be permanantly deleted.
MOO

There is no way he is on a cruise. Very few ships are sailing due to COVID restrictions and the cruise lines know exactly who is on the ship. If he was on a cruise he would have been caught. Doesn’t mean he isn’t on a ship somewhere, but he is not lounging on the Lido deck of the Love Boat. MOO

So CL has seen him but didn't talk with him. Who would really believe that? Maybe they both know sign language? Or maybe they texted each other while in the others presence ( my kids do this all the time) MOO

I would believe she could be telling the truth. I have said more than once "I haven't seen __ to talk to recently."

What I mean is I haven't been in a situation with __ to be able to talk about personal topics. Maybe I've seen her when others are around so we've just made small talk. Maybe we've seen each other when doing other tasks not conducive to having a heart to heart. I don't mean I haven't said any words in her presence and I don't mean she hasn't said words in my presence. And I certainly don't mean I haven't seen her.

It's possible CL didn't see BL in a situation where she could talk freely. Kids, parents, others may have been around.
JMO

I’m not sure about being a weak link, but she’s got her family to think about, & that might come in to play if she talks. IMO.

Agreed. She has a family to think about. IMO.

Something else I thought about. Think about the LENGTHS the Laundrie parents have gone to protect BL. How they have absolutely said ZERO. Nothing. Hardly even thru their attorney. Especially nothing that makes Brian look bad. & then they have no issue letting their attorney throw their daughter under the bus & reverse it & run over her again. This is all in my opinion.

I can’t help but wonder how frequently CL has been under the bus for her little brother? Is it possible she went to de Soto to try and talk some sense into BL, try to find out what really happened but the parents as gatekeepers ensured she “didn’t get to speak with Brian”? In her interview, she seemed to have a genuine affection for GP….. but now her parents and the lawyer are willing to make her a sacrifice on the alter of BL’s freedom…..just thinking out loud. MOO

FANTASTIC post.

A lot of us were trying to articulate why "primary aggressor" was assigned improperly to Gabby, but of course, it should be, "The individual who poses the most serious, ongoing threat who might not be the initial aggressor in a specific incident." That is the only thing that makes any sense at all in a domestic violence situation. It makes no sense to define it as "the first person to show aggression," or "the only person to actually be witnessed slapping," when there were plenty of other ways she was being endangered (the threat of leaving her without a phone and wallet in the desert a couple thousand miles from home, especially when she was dehydrated, as we learned on the most recently-released body-cam footage: "we were out of water, our tank is only six gallons, and I was so thirsty, I just wanted to go so we could fill up our tank.")

That 750% increase in likelihood of being killed if your partner has choked you once is terrifying, and telling.
Is that legal definition the same in every state? The one officer actually went back to his patrol vehicle and looked it up so he should have seen that, right?

edited for spelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member