Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
OCT 2, 2021
Gabby Petito update: Family posts emotional messages on social media, call on Laundrie to 'turn himself in' - ABC7 New York (abc7ny.com)
The family of Gabby Petito took to social media on Saturday with emotional messages and tributes, including calls for her fiancé Brian Laundrie to turn himself in.

Gabby Petito's father Joseph Petito posted a tribute to his daughter on Instagram stating, "she is already saving lives."

"So many stories being sent to us about relationships being left with proper planning for safety, and people are being found due to her influence. We have much more work to do, but it's a start," he said.

But the emotional tributes didn't stop there. Both Gabby Petito's stepmother, Tara Petito, and stepfather, Jim Schmidt, took to Twitter to pay tribute.

"It still seems surreal. Miss you Gabs," Jim Schmidt wrote.

[...]

this was my question as well. as someone pointed out, he'd basically would have had to drive a solid 24 hours for multiple days to get back from the 29th hitchiking in WY to his sept 1 arrival in FL. Not that it isn't possible, but that's a whole lot of nonstop driving for someone who had just been off wondering around for a few days alone after presumably the 27th. Anyway its definitely something I had thought of and that was brought up. I think there wasn't anything conclusive about it other than it could have been possible he met and pick up someone to share in driving responsibilities. but also he could have just been that manic....

Once he decided to drive van home, adrenaline could have kicked in. He finally had a plan, instead of aimless wandering around.

I love The Gardeners post, and I've lost the one about the metaphysical Brian, mooning about self examining his wonderfulness and brooding on other peoples failings.....

It crossed my mind, and it's been at least 20 years since I visited Orlando Disney, (( I wondered if it looks a bit like Chernobyl now )... that it would be the perfect place for Brian to hide out in, coming out at night, 'hiking' thru the 'jungle'. .. being both scared and emboldened by papier mache hippo's rising regularly out of the 'river'.... sleeping thru the day in a tree, perhaps raiding the concession stands...

Something in that clip at Moab inched it's way forward ...

Why , and how, is Gabby 'locked out of the van'...? doesn't she have her own set of keys? Considering it's her van, legally, and probably fiscally, too. How come Brian holds the only set of keys? to her van?

Why hasn't she had a set of keys cut for herself at some stage, unless it's strictly on Brian's say-so...?

I have shared cars with various members of my family, at various times ( once with a daughter, instead of two average cars , we bought one unaverage one, it worked out ok ) .. I had my own set of keys, it was essential , I cannot understand how they managed that trip with only one set of car keys. Ive had a set keys to every car that ever lived in my garage...

Even for Brian's convenience, two sets would be required... unless it had a deeper significance to him and he was prepared to put up with the inconvenience with the payoff being the power her could wield.. .

And where the bloody hell is Brian ??
And one working phone? Did BL ever use his phone for calling or texting? Seems like he always used Gabby's. Anyone know??? jmo

Way behind here, but my thoughts exactly. You've reported your son missing to law enforcement. In every missing case I've ever seen, the frantic parents have welcomed every offer of assistance, even from out of the mainstream sources like psychics. Yet the Laundries called the cops on DTBH.

Now if DTBH knocked on my door I might call the cops too, because before this I would have barely known who he was. So they might have initially called the cops for that reason. But once they learned he was interesting in helping find BL, why wouldn't they have welcomed his assistance?

Because they're not worried about him. MOO.

More and more I am baffled by what the Laundries thought they were accomplishing by reporting BL as missing to law enforcement.

I cannot think of another missing person case where the parents refused help to search for their missing child. Not giving a piece of Brian's clothes is odd.
Anyone can think of a single case?

I love The Gardeners post, and I've lost the one about the metaphysical Brian, mooning about self examining his wonderfulness and brooding on other peoples failings.....

It crossed my mind, and it's been at least 20 years since I visited Orlando Disney, (( I wondered if it looks a bit like Chernobyl now )... that it would be the perfect place for Brian to hide out in, coming out at night, 'hiking' thru the 'jungle'. .. being both scared and emboldened by papier mache hippo's rising regularly out of the 'river'.... sleeping thru the day in a tree, perhaps raiding the concession stands...
I love this! " The Coddled Loner." :)

Agreed. We definitely cannot compare BL with ERR. ERR had a whole network of anti-abortion activists, family, friends and acquaintances in the area that helped and shielded him every step of the way. A whole network of people. BL has nothing like that. Nothing even close.

I imagine he wishes he did. But he simply does not have that kind of support. All he has is mommy and daddy who LE and FBI are sitting on at the moment.
oh I totally agree with this. he may be okay out on his own for a bit, but he isn't ERR who had the sociapath side to help him gain cover. BL is like you said a mama's boy/co dependent and will not make it on his own off grid long term.

And one working phone? Did BL ever use his phone for calling or texting? Seems like he always used Gabby's. Anyone know??? jmo

You would think so, since Gabby's parents said they tried calling and texting him. Which implies he has a working number separate to Gabby's.

When he takes it out of his pocket at the Moab stop, he turns it on and shows the officers his contact number. Would he have done that if - a) It was dead, b) not able to be called or texted?

Also Gabby reminds him to take his phone charger to the hotel.

Sounds like some of couples I went to school with. They were the 'It' couples. They had high profiles, prom kings and queens, lots of drama, breakups, etc. A couple are still together to this day and a few married people they never gave a second glance to in school and are still happily married decades later.

Add “duck-like-walk” & walking with toes facing outwards to the list.
Someone posted a short gif of him walking away from the vehicle and it certainly is an unusual gait. I'm wondering if his legs were sore from being in the vehicle for so long or if it's just the way he walks. If it is, it certainly is a distinguishing feature for those hoping to spot or identify him.

is it not theft?

We've spent threads discussing this, but in brief, there are some factors: did she put him on her insurance? was he a "common user" of the vehicle (given blanket use of it).

Vehicles. are governed by different rules (local to FL in this case - and FL is pretty open to people borrowing each others' cars, no specific laws against it).

As opposed to the Federal Banking system, which is very opposed to people using other people's ATM cards - especially when the account is technically now subject to probate laws (when someone dies). Most of us have been through both of these situations when our parents die. I could immediately let anyone drive my dad's car, even without a title transfer but if I had not been a joint holder of his banking accounts, I would have had to take specific actions to use the funds.

My. nearly 100 year old father knew this, and made preparations about a decade before.

Federal law is different than state laws. There are no Federal car ownership laws. All cars must be registered by a Department in each state...and insurance is based on which state you live in, as well.

RE: 10 days to scrub.... I was not thinking about scrubbing decomposition, I was thinking about finger prints. I agree, decomp couldn't have been sufficiently scrubbed. jmo

I skimmed through the transcript of the Moab incident and watched the video many times, and may have missed this, but I seem to recall someone said they never asked him for license and registration and that they assumed the van was his, since he was driving. Did any officer ask her if, given her hysterical state, that she’d be comfortable and safe driving the van to a place to stay that night? What if they had reservations 6 hours away that night? Again, I may have missed details but if they assumed he was van owner and driver, then why not let him control the vehicle and put her up in a hotel that night given her state of mind.
If I remember correctly, they could only offer him the hotel room because they had established him as the “victim” in the situation, & the hotel room was through a non-profit organization (Safe Haven something?? was the name of it). The police didn’t pay for the hotel room. They say the name of the organization in the body can footage.

I don't think 10 days would be enough to remove all products of decomp from a van. You'd need to change the headliner, the visors, the bedding, the wood paneling, the fabric - everything. And that would have been really obvious.

He could not have done this in his driveway, I don't think.

That's not a federal crime, so far as I know. He could still be charged in the future, but they had him dead to rights on the ATM/card use (no doubt with video).

I guess there's just no way to explain to you. Perhaps it's cultural.

It's simply how the Feds (and many other major LE agencies in North America) handle things. Take a look at how RCMP operate - it's the same.

The evidence has not been fully processed. We simply do not act legally without regard for the preponderance of evidence - which is not yet stated by the Coroner (and as I said, it's common for it to take a month to get toxicology reports).

That savvy defense lawyer is not going before a regular judge or jury - this is a whole different ball game. It's a federal case, and it will not be your average judge, jury, prosecutor - but it may involve a decidedly average defense attorney...

Take a look at any of the major cases in the "Waiting for Trial" section here on Websleuths and you'll see a pattern - and you can watch those same cases move foward, most of them with convictions. Once they charge someone, the FBI and the major state bureaus have very high conviction rates...

Perhaps the FBI actually understands our legal system pretty well?
the simple answer according to feds is
throw out what sticks. an arrest is an arrest and there is solid finance and photos to back up this minor crime while they build a case. murder will come, but they need to find him first and get the evidence indisputable

Once he decided to drive van home, adrenaline could have kicked in. He finally had a plan, instead of aimless wandering around.
Yes, exactly!!! it's the body's natural response to flight or flight. adrenaline, fear, panic, paronoia, ruminating about the event, thinking non stop how to get out of the mess. . . all of it. I mean if i allegedly just committed a heinous crime, counting sheep would not be on my list of things to do. His mind (IMO) must have been like a hamster wheel. Analogy, you are 12 and your mom's friend just saw you smoking, you know she's going to out you.. . . panic, fear, excuse making.. .. wondering how are you going to get out of this one. BL is this, multiplied x one million. JMO.

My guess would be because it would mean that Gabby couldn't use the that phone, her phone, for her 'little vlog'... a subtle yet efficient way of impinging on her time and resources , and a real payoff in the annoyance stakes.. he could frustrate her, and at the same time, claim he was on urgent business...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa