Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched “Gabby Petito Investigation: The Latest” on HLN. Learned nothing we haven’t already learned here. But following this hour documentary aired “Down the Hill: The Delphi Murders- Part 1 & 2”. My first thought was that I hope this isn’t some foreboding sign that we’ll be waiting this long for justice on yet another case. MAY THEY ALL BE SOLVED & JUSTICE PREVAIL. And ASAP.

I think your scenario is the most likely of the ones I've heard. I can only imagine how awful BL's parents felt when they questioned their son about Gabby's whereabouts (when her family started texting) and then things just went to hell in a handbasket.

The fact that 911 was called multiple times on the 10th and 11th tells me that things were reaching a boiling point in the Laundrie household.

I really don't know what I'd do in that situation. If BL said "She might be dead, and I might have killed her but I don't know for sure," I don't think I'd text that to her parents who were looking for a bit of hope. And then, the attorney told them to remain silent and it no longer was about what they wanted to do.
It absolutely is about what they wanted to do, it is a choice to follow the attorneys advice. They could have said no we want to help find Gabby, especially, per your example, she might still be alive. They are not bound by what the attorney advises.

If I were him, I would have skedaddled after the visit on the 10th when LE first showed an interest. And certainly wouldn't be there on the 11th when they came for the van.

This is why I don't think this was well-planned or executed. He could have dropped the van off at a small airport and flew off to Latin America or Russia. Send a few postcards saying you two went to Europe and he'd have a month or two head start on the police.

Driving back to your parents house just waiting for everyone to find out what happened? Yikes. Does not sound like someone who thinks two steps ahead.

I gotta say it doesn’t sit well with me that the authorities are confused.
I think SB's statement yesterday about Brian's Dad going to help search that got spun from one side to the other outrageously, made that clear. Might have been the point.:cool::p MOO!!!

There's a simple enough, plausible explanation for the Yellowstone message that nobody seems to take into account. It's not unreasonable that people who travel and frequently talk about travel, camping, etc, would have frequently typed the names of other popular locations. Well, our phones learn our patterns. And so it's not outside the realm of reality for someone just sending a quick text to type out a "Y" and hit send without realizing that predictive text said Yellowstone, not Yosemite. The two words look similar enough if you're not paying attention. Remember it's only speculated that Gabby was dead before that message was sent, but none of us actually know that.

MOO.

the two words do not look similar at all - same first letter that's about it

If Brian is alive, he has managed to avoid some smart professional trackers and what probably is by now some very irritated police..

And he must have got those smarts while driving home to Florida because he was stupid enough, truly deeply stupid enough to leave Gabby's body to be discovered, which meant her manner of death, and most likely her cause of death can be ascertained. ....

You hear about people going missing in National Parks, and there were/are others missing from the general vicinity where Gabby was found. It seems they very rarely ever catch National Park killers. If a stranger was involved in this case, I would think chances would be slim to none of them ever being found. So, I think Brian's gonna have to take this hit regardless of his guilt or innocence. It's so hard to grasp any of it without his explanation for what happened, if he does ultimately deny involvement in Gabby's tragic end.

If this were done by a stranger who was an SK known to target national parks though, would Gabbys' body have been found at all? I don't think so, jmo.

I get what you're saying though. Even if BL isn't guilty, it will be difficult to prove his innocence given all the strikes against him.

If Brian is alive, he has managed to avoid some smart professional trackers and what probably is by now some very irritated police..

And he must have got those smarts while driving home to Florida because he was stupid enough, truly deeply stupid enough to leave Gabby's body to be discovered, which meant her manner of death, and most likely her cause of death can be ascertained. ....
A million likes for this one. It reeks of *assistance*, doesn't it?

you worry about it?
that's the whole purpose of it is to guarantee a fair trial by presumption of innocence

Yes, we hope that's the way it works. I thought I'd made my belief in the system quite clear. Maybe not.

On WS there isn't a presumption of innocence, of course. There doesn't need to be. But when posters say things similar to "if I was on the jury I'd convict" or "BL could be innocent if I was on the jury only if he proved x, y, z" I DO worry about our jury system. Don't you?
JMO

The point here is that 18 USC 1029 makes the "bank rules" a felony. Whether people routinely commit felonies is another question.

The point of 18 USC 1029 is to protect banks and other corporations by making unauthorized access to accounts a felony. It was part of a hacking bill and it is misused by the feds (IMO) all the time. But the key point is that the access is granted by the financial institution. So using someone's PIN to gain unauthorized access to their account (because it is unauthorized in the eyes of the bank) is a crime.

That's why credit cards allow you to add "authorized users" to your account who get their own cards and numbers associated with your account. The bank has on record that those authorized users are permitted to access the credit line and you agree you will pay for the charges they make.

In this case the law does not care about individual people stealing other people's money. It cares about banks having to be responsible to pay back the true owner when they claim unauthorized access by another person.
The law was also made to combat money laundering. It's called being a money mule. That's why only the person who filled out the paperwork for the debit/credit card is the authorized user. What a criminal will do is let someone else use the card and then claim they had nothing to do with the monetary transfer. Now it doesn't matter, because it's the card holder that's on the line for any illegal money transfers.
However, using a card that isn't yours is also an offense for the person using the card. Money Mules — FBI

There are also way to legally authorize someone to use your credit/debit cards. Most banks and financial institutions allow the account holder to authorize others to use their accounts. We've done that with our children when they were in college or studying outside of the country. They have cards with the same numbers, but the card has their name on it.
Can You Use Somebody Else's Credit Card or Lend Yours Out?

You hear about people going missing in National Parks, and there were/are others missing from the general vicinity where Gabby was found. It seems they very rarely ever catch National Park killers. If a stranger was involved in this case, I would think chances would be slim to none of them ever being found. So, I think Brian's gonna have to take this hit regardless of his guilt or innocence. It's so hard to grasp any of it without his explanation for what happened, if he does ultimately deny involvement in Gabby's tragic end.
Maybe Brian had this exact thought. And that's why he's running instead of trying to convince everyone of his innocence. He knows nobody will believe him.

Wild thought... the killer standing over Gabby. Laughing as he tells Brian that he will be the one blamed.

But probably not. I would hope in that scenario, Brian would man up and try to revenge her murder. Not run.

Just watched “Gabby Petito Investigation: The Latest” on HLN. Learned nothing we haven’t already learned here. But following this hour documentary aired “Down the Hill: The Delphi Murders- Part 1 & 2”. My first thought was that I hope this isn’t some foreboding sign that we’ll be waiting this long for justice on yet another case. MAY THEY ALL BE SOLVED & JUSTICE PREVAIL. And ASAP.
What HLN curiously said was that the NPPD released a statement that they "did" have eyes on BL though never spoke with him but then they said they never saw him from the 11th on. Strange statement. Waiting for BE or someone to get the official statement and post it. MOO. The statement really doesn't sound right considering Dog had to tell them they were at Fort DeSoto. If they eyes on him until the 11th, they'd know this. MOO IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox